• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Powerbanks (at least those with USB-C) work with Nintendo Switch

Thraktor

Yeah, I can actually play an intensive 3D game, while also having internet sharing on and in use, and using bluetooth for audio, and have the phone increase in charge.

Something definitely seems funny that such a drastic difference is occurring on a much weaker charging output between my iPhone and the Switch, where my iPhone charge increases on 5V / 1A, and the Switch does diddly squat with much high charging output. It's not like the Switch's battery is that much bigger like I said, in fact, it's smaller than the iPad which I can also charge while in heavy use with a 5V / 2A power bank just fine, which is still less than the Switch gets, and the iPad battery is a good 50% bigger (in mAh) than the Switch.

Doing the maths on it, it would seem that the Switch is in fact only getting ~500mA from that particular charger, which would seem to indicate that it is a Qualcomm QC/USB-PD issue. The Switch battery is 16Wh, which means for the battery to charge at 1% every six minutes it would be consuming 1.6W (which is 320mA at 5V). Factor in a bit of charging inefficiency plus idle power consumption by the Switch and it quite closely matches what you'd expect from a standard USB 5V/500mA power transmission.

To be honest I wouldn't really fault Nintendo here. Qualcomm's proprietary Quick Charge has caused a lot of issues like this, and even Google has explicitly told phone manufacturers to stop using it. Their QC4.0 is going to be properly compliant with USB-PD, though, so things should get a lot less messy once that starts to roll out.

Allow me to copypaste here my post about USB A powerbanks possibly working

Okay so I may sound super dumb but here it goes anyway
This is the Switch's AC adapter

It appears to have two modes. It would make sense to assume that the 5V - 1.5A is for charging in portable mode and the 15V - 2.6 A would be for the dock, right?

This is my powerbank

If we asume the official AC adapter charges the console at 5V - 1.5 A, shouldn't this powerbank be enough to charge while playing in portable mode because it's 5V - 2.4A? With a good USB A-C cable.

Only output 2 has Quickcharge btw so even if that's dangerous I just have to use output 1

The 5V specification is almost certainly for compatibility reasons (as far as I'm aware all USB devices have to default to 5V). Here's the back of Switch itself:

NINTENDO_SWITCH_back.jpg

You can see that it says 15V - 2.6A, meaning the Switch itself is intended to be charged at 15V, and there's no guarantee that it will charge at a reasonable rate at any voltage below that.

Basically, if anyone is considering buying a charger or power bank for Switch, they should either buy a USB-C model which is USB-PD compatible and supplies 15V at at least 2.6A, or they should wait until after launch when other chargers can be tested fully.

shiyrley

Banned
Do USB-C 15V-2.6A powerbanks even exist? Seems weird they would mention that USB powerbanks are compatible when a 5V-3A powerbank is incapable of charging the switch while playing.

I still think the Switch charges at 5V-1.5A in portable mode and 15V-2.6A docked.

Lexxism

Yeah, I don't think there's a power bank which has a 15V/2.6A. It's pretty much 5V/2.4A. I hope we would have a good amount of test on this before I commit on buying.

RockmanBN

Don't they have an official car charger that outputs 5V-3A? Even if it doesn't charge while playing, hopefully I can at least double the consoles life by slowing its drain.

shiyrley

Banned
Don't they have an official car charger that outputs 5V-3A? Even if it doesn't charge while playing, hopefully I can at least double the consoles life by slowing its drain.
Yeah that's right, if a 5V-3A USB-C powerbank couldn't charge the switch while playing then the officially licensed car charger couldn't either. It wouldn't make any sense.

TankRizzo

Banned
Shit, I won't be traveling much in the car or train, airplane, etc. I may just buy a long extension cord and run it. 🤔

Zedark

Basically, if anyone is considering buying a charger or power bank for Switch, they should either buy a USB-C model which is USB-PD compatible and supplies 15V at at least 2.6A, or they should wait until after launch when other chargers can be tested fully.

But that would in practice mean that you can't use a power bank, so there are no (edit: actually, I saw below that some exist, but it would still exclude the vast majority) power banks that output at such a massive power level. The Switch presentation did mention the compatibility with portable batteries (at the 9:46 mark), so I can hardly imagine the Switch not functioning well with convential power outputs of 5V/2-2.4A (which are pretty much standard for power banks I believe).

Edit: we'll see, I guess. I have my 5V/2A power bank lying around with a spare usb-c cable, so I will just test its charging capability at launch.

Minsc

Gold Member
Do USB-C 15V-2.6A powerbanks even exist? Seems weird they would mention that USB powerbanks are compatible when a 5V-3A powerbank is incapable of charging the switch while playing.

I still think the Switch charges at 5V-1.5A in portable mode and 15V-2.6A docked.

Yeah, I don't think there's a power bank which has a 15V/2.6A. It's pretty much 5V/2.4A. I hope we would have a good amount of test on this before I commit on buying.

I linked to two earlier:

It does look like going through the comments in that Ars article a few PD USB Type C chargers are mentioned, like this one from RavPower, that's basically the same size as the earlier one I mentioned, just slightly more mAh, and supports much higher output: Type-C Output: DC 5V/3A,9V/2A,15V/2A,20V/1.5A; and this one from Razer, which is smaller sized, only 12,800 mAh, but supports higher output as well: USB Type-C | 5V 3A / 9V 3A / 12V 3A / 15V 3A / 20V 2.25A.

Other than those I don't see any others, oh there was a Dell power bank mentioned as well, but then those three would be about it at the moment.

The RAVPower does 9V / 2A and then 15V / 2A, so I'm not sure how that'd translate.

The Razer actually does 12V / 3A (and 15V / 3A), which sounds like it'd be fully covered for perfect charging, but it's said to cost $150, where the PD USB Type C RAVPower one is only $60, maybe even less if you catch it on a sale.

I'm still hoping it can charge at an acceptable rate with USB C on a normal 5V / 3A power bank, instead of needing a 12V / 2.6A or whatever to charge. Even if it doesn't hold a charge, but instead drains really, really slowly, that's good enough. Still, I'd like to think that if 5V / 1A is enough for an iPhone 7+ and 5V / 2A is enough for an iPad to charge while in heavy use, then 5V / 3A will hopefully be good enough for the Switch.

Got the Anker Powercore+ 20100. Hopefully this can charge the switch while I play. I'd like to have 12+ hours of Zelda on the go instead of almost three. Else if this will be used when I'm low when traveling.

It feels comfortable enough for me when I have it it my pocket. Is it too noticeable? This is coming from a 5 ft 7 guy wearing slim fit jeans.

i never cared if mine showed, it felt good to hold tho like i don't panic when i drop it and only got small scratches

Got the Anker Powercore+ 20100. Hopefully this can charge the switch while I play. I'd like to have 12+ hours of Zelda on the go instead of almost three. Else if this will be used when I'm low when traveling.

Ordered this one myself. Will be carrying my Switch to work to play during downtime, so being able to make it last longer will be ideal. I actually think the Anker will do great for my iPad and phone as well, so it was sort of a catch-all purchase.

Little bit concerned about Switch viability of this power bank with Thraktor's post above -- seems Switch is specified for a much higher power output than the Anker we got, but I'm hoping the Anker ultimately can still steadily feed the Switch a charge while playing Zelda (and future titles, for that matter).

Worse comes to worse, I keep the power bank for my other devices, and just end up buying a second AC adapter from Nintendo for on-the-go use.

Thraktor

But that would in practice mean that you can't use a power bank, so there are no (edit: actually, I saw below that some exist, but it would still exclude the vast majority) power banks that output at such a massive power level. The Switch presentation did mention the compatibility with portable batteries (at the 9:46 mark), so I can hardly imagine the Switch not functioning well with convential power outputs of 5V/2-2.4A (which are pretty much standard for power banks I believe).

Edit: we'll see, I guess. I have my 5V/2A power bank lying around with a spare usb-c cable, so I will just test its charging capability at launch.

It's possible that Switch will work with some 5V/2A chargers, but it depends on what charging standard (if any) they implement.

It's worth keeping in mind that any USB device which outputs more that 5V/0.5A either supports USB-PD (which predates USB-C, btw), or one of a number of other standards of varying degrees of interoperability (such as Qualcomm Quick Charge). While all USB-PD devices and chargers should properly negotiate optimal voltage/current to be delivered, there's no guarantee that the same is true between a USB-PD device and a non-USB-PD charger, or indeed between any non-USB-PD devices and any chargers. In the case of Switch, which seems to conform to USB-PD, it looks like it couldn't negotiate a better charging rate with the bank Ars tested, so defaulted back to 5V/0.5A. It's entirely possible (and I'd argue likely) that a 5V/2A charger that properly supports USB-PD would work much more effectively with Switch.

The RAVPower model which Minsc linked to actually seems like the best bet if you're looking to buy something now. It's specifically advertised to support USB-PD, and outputs 15V at 2A, which should be enough to charge Switch at full speed. There's no 100% guarantee that it'll work until someone tests it, but I'd be quite surprised if it doesn't.

I linked to two earlier:

The RAVPower does 9V / 2A and then 15V / 2A, so I'm not sure how that'd translate.

The Razer actually does 12V / 3A (and 15V / 3A), which sounds like it'd be fully covered for perfect charging, but it's said to cost $150, where the PD USB Type C RAVPower one is only $60, maybe even less if you catch it on a sale.

I'm still hoping it can charge at an acceptable rate with USB C on a normal 5V / 3A power bank, instead of needing a 12V / 2.6A or whatever to charge. Even if it doesn't hold a charge, but instead drains really, really slowly, that's good enough. Still, I'd like to think that if 5V / 1A is enough for an iPhone 7+ and 5V / 2A is enough for an iPad to charge while in heavy use, then 5V / 3A will hopefully be good enough for the Switch.

The RAVPower model does look like a good choice. As I mentioned above, the fact that it's specifically advertised as supporting USB-PD is a good sign, and the 15V at 2A should be enough. Going by Ars' reports of the Switch charging at ~1% per minute on the included charger, that would suggest it's pulling around 15W tops, which would be just 1A at 15V. The additional power provided by the stock charger is likely for docked mode, where it may be charging at the same time as it's running (at higher clocks) and also possibly powering some USB peripherals.

Pit

Why don't we really have any confirmation on battery packs working yet? Isnt the embargo on the switch over, rather just for breath of the Wild? Why aren't more outlets testing this for the public? Can't find any articles about it, more than "it works with this charger" for 5 seconds and we didn't test it while playing and so on

Cuburt

I already have a Powerbank I might try out when I get my Switch to charge when it's turned off, but I wouldn't count on buying a Powerbank just for the Switch before it releases until it can be confirmed that it will work while playing.

Minsc

Gold Member
I mean there's a video in the OP showing that yes, battery packs work with the switch (while on / playing). The question is how fast it'll charge at this point, not if they work.

sugarless

This iMuto one is reasonably priced at £24.99, has USB-C and is marketed specifically as working well with Switch, including a marketing image of it charging the unit and a statement that a full charge of the powerbank will charge the Switch 2.5 times over.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01MSKXQTG/

What do we think, GAF? Looks worth a punt? It's even attractive-looking and has a numerical readout of remaining charger rather than the usual series of small lights.

Edit update: noticed on the Q&A on the page that they basically worked out the voltage from the specs in order to estimate Switch charging features, and it's not based on real-world tests. So for now it's just as speculative as the GAF threads on the voltage requirements...

Protome

Any recommendations for slightly smaller powerbanks? The RavPower one I keep seeing recommended seems great and all but I'd rather have something smaller to just give the Switch/my phone a bit of a boost on a long journey, not necessarily recharge both/either of them to full.

Cuburt

I mean there's a video in the OP showing that yes, battery packs work with the switch (while on / playing). The question is how fast it'll charge at this point, not if they work.
I misspoke. I meant actually charge faster than it drains while playing.

If a charger can't charge it fast enough so it doesn't stop the Switch from draining all the way before the portable battery drains, it feels like the size of the Powerbanks might not matter much unless you are trying to charge it to full when it's off, and that defeats the purpose for people hoping to get a powerbank specifically to extend their play time by significant amounts rather than slightly slowing down the drain.

Zedark

Any recommendations for slightly smaller powerbanks? The RavPower one I keep seeing recommended seems great and all but I'd rather have something smaller to just give the Switch/my phone a bit of a boost on a long journey, not necessarily recharge both/either of them to full.
I'd wait just a day or so, and when people will test their 5V/2A power Banks we will know whether they function well enough for charging or whether you really need a larger power output.

Minsc

Gold Member
I misspoke. I meant actually charge faster than it drains while playing.

If a charger can't charge it fast enough so it doesn't stop the Switch from draining all the way before the portable battery drains, it feels like the size of the Powerbanks might not matter much unless you are trying to charge it to full when it's off, and that defeats the purpose for people hoping to get a powerbank specifically to extend their play time by significant amounts rather than slightly slowing down the drain.

These are the possible outcomes I gather, from worst to best:

1 - Switch cannot increase charge by anything while in use, and charges very slowly regardless of what is used while turned off. You are required to use the Base to get any sort of decent charging.
2 - Only sources capable of delivering 15V / 2.6A will increase the charge while in use (official wall charger, PD-USB Type C power banks). Everything else does not help while in use.
3 - Same as 2, but now USB-C 5V / 3A devices are a bit more effective and reduce power drain in use to a very slow amount (~10% an hour vs 30% an hour unplugged).
4 - Switch increases charge slowly while in use with USB-C 5V / 3A devices. USB-A power banks do not help while in use.
5 - Same as 4, but now USB-A power banks are a bit more effective and reduce power drain in use to a very slow amount (~10% an hour vs 30% an hour unplugged).
6 - Same as 4, but now Switch increases charge slowly while in use with most USB-A 5V / 2A devices.

It seems we're in the 2 through 5 range currently (1 is just ridiculous imo), with 6 being possible, but unknown because of the Ars preview. Most likely it will be 4 or 5, though 2 and 3 are also still possible.

Irminsul

These are the possible outcomes I gather, from worst to best:

1 - Switch cannot increase charge by anything while in use, and charges very slowly regardless of what is used while turned off. You are required to use the Base to get any sort of decent charging.
2 - Only sources capable of delivering 15V / 2.6A will increase the charge while in use (official wall charger, PD-USB Type C power banks). Everything else does not help while in use.
3 - Same as 2, but now USB-C 5V / 3A devices are a bit more effective and reduce power drain in use to a very slow amount (~10% an hour vs 30% an hour unplugged).
4 - Switch increases charge slowly while in use with USB-C 5V / 3A devices. USB-A power banks do not help while in use.
5 - Same as 4, but now USB-A power banks are a bit more effective and reduce power drain in use to a very slow amount (~10% an hour vs 30% an hour unplugged).
6 - Same as 4, but now Switch increases charge slowly while in use with most USB-A 5V / 2A devices.

It seems we're in the 2 through 5 range currently (1 is just ridiculous imo), with 6 being possible, but unknown because of the Ars preview. Most likely it will be 4 or 5, though 2 and 3 are also still possible.

On that note, the german computer website Golem tested some of these scenarios. Their results:

- Using third party AC adapters works when just charging the tablet. It doesn't work when docked, interestingly.
- For powerbanks, using a "normal" powerbank without a USB-C port or the newest Power Delivery revision, Switch does charge at up to 1.5 A. But only if you don't use the USB-C cable coming with the Pro Controller. Apparently, switching (ha!) to a USB-C-enabled powerbank doesn't change anything, but in contrast to what Ars Technica claims, 1.5 A is enough to (slowly) charge Switch even while gaming.

Coffinhal

So what's the final word on this ?

I have 23000 powerbank with standard USB 2.4A port, is it enough ? Will it charge while playing ? How long will it take to charge ? Will it only slow down ?

Lexxism

So what's the final word on this ?

I have 23000 powerbank with standard USB 2.4A port, is it enough ? Will it charge while playing ? How long will it take to charge ? Will it only slow down ?
Yes, that would probably give you an extra 8 hours of playtime. Basically 11 if you add the switch battery

Cross posting from the other thread...

So I got my Switch now and am playing Zelda while plugged into my battery bank and it IS charging! Can't say exactly how fast, not really measuring my time right now as all I care about is if it will charge period. And it does!

For reference, the battery I got is this one from RAVpower which outputs 5V/3A using this USB-C cable. I can't say whether a USB-A to C cable will work or not as I don't have one (the battery does come with an adapter, but I don't want to risk using it since the Google guy hasn't tested it.)

Also, while at Best Buy I checked the car adapter they were selling and yes, it too outputs 5V/3A.

Edit: I may have spoke too soon, the charge keeps stopping when I'm not even playing Zelda. Noticed it while I had it in sleep mode and the screen kept turning on as the charge dropped. Not sure what's up with this...

Edit 2: ...My battery may actually have been nearly flat as it only gives one light when pressing the button. Gonna charge it overnight and see in the morning if it'll keep connected to the Switch.

Irminsul

It is enough, I have a powerbank with 5 V / 2.4 A as well. And yes, it will charge, at around 8 percentage points per hour. So slow, but it will charge.

Note: DO NOT use the cable that comes with the Pro Controller, as it apparently only allows for .5 A. I think that could be the reason behind the conflicting reports.

VPhys

So I did a non scientific test for those wondering how USB-A powerbanks work with the switch.

I drained the switch to 30%, and then used this charger to charge a powered off console. After 1 hour the batter was at 75%.

By this you can estimate you'd get about a 50% charge after 70 minutes. This of course is with the console off, it will be much slower if you are trying to play a game while charging.

sugarless

My non scientific tests also confirmed that a 13000mAh Anker Astro E4 battery pack from 2013, used with the USB-A to USB-C cable that came with the pro controller, charged and the battery beat the drain while playing Zelda portable.

Anker: started at 75%, played Zelda for ten minutes while charging. Was at 80% after.

Also for the charger that comes with the 2015 12" Retina MacBook:
Sleep charge: started at 50%, plugged in to charge in sleep for 30 minutes. Got up to 75%. Need to test while playing but presumably similar to any other wall charger of reasonably capacity.

sadromeo

My non scientific tests also confirmed that a 13000mAh Anker Astro E4 battery pack from 2013, used with the USB-A to USB-C cable that came with the pro controller, charged and the battery beat the drain while playing Zelda portable.

Anker: started at 75%, played Zelda for ten minutes while charging. Was at 80% after.

Sleep charge: started at 50%, plugged in to charge in sleep for 30 minutes. Got up to 75%. Need to test while playing but presumably similar to any other wall charger of reasonably capacity.

Thanks for the this. Any and all information about chargers for the Switch is appreciated. So much information, proven, not proven is out there and the more we can clear things up, the better.

mieumieu

This makes me glad that I bought a Macbook lol I can charge my every new device (phone, Switch, etc.) with its charger :)

kkg1701

Some more datapoints; got a 16000mAh Deltaco PB (PB-815). Rated 3A total (1x 1A port + 2x 2.1A ports). Using the cable coming with the pro controller, it could not charge while playing Zelda when the Switch was at ~60%.

Later I tested to see if it would at least lower the drainage of the Switch battery. The result was when the Switch was fully charged it drained the PB first. Got something around 3h using about 75-85% of the PB.

So I have two 8800mAh batteries that are listed as 5V 2.1A. Will this work? Any risk of damaging the system?

Edit: the battery has two USB ports rated at 2.1A. It's meant to charge an iPad and iphone.

Zedark

So I have to 8100mAh batteries that are listed as 5V 2.1A. Will this work? Any risk of damaging the system?

Edit: the battery has two USB ports rated at 2.1A. It's meant to charge an iPad and iphone.
It will work if it does not employee Qualcomm Quick Charge. I use a 5V/2.1A power bank that recharges the Switch very slowly when playing Zelda.

It will work if it does not employee Qualcomm Quick Charge. I use a 5V/2.1A power bank that recharges the Switch very slowly when playing Zelda.

Dumb question, what's Qualcomm Quick Charge? I think may battery is a Duracell Powerbank (got two on meh.com last year).

Zedark

Dumb question, what's Qualcomm Quick Charge? I think may battery is a Duracell Powerbank (got two on meh.com last year).
It is a proprietary charging method that has weak compatibility with many devices, including Switch. It should say on the power bank itself or on the packaging whether it uses it: if it say doesn't say anything about it, it most likely doesn't use it. Note that it is not damaging for the system at 5V, it just charges very slowly if the system doesn't support it (at a rate of 5V/0.5A). Just plug it in and see if it works well, it won't do any harm to your Switch.

VPhys

This makes me glad that I bought a Macbook lol I can charge my every new device (phone, Switch, etc.) with its charger :)

Totally. For my cell phone I have a galaxy S7 edge and I'm considering getting the S8 or maybe even another brand (LG etc) SIMPLY for the fact I would be able to use the same chargers/cables for everything.

Top Bottom