• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Powerbanks (at least those with USB-C) work with Nintendo Switch

sadromeo

Some more datapoints; got a 16000mAh Deltaco PB (PB-815). Rated 3A total (1x 1A port + 2x 2.1A ports). Using the cable coming with the pro controller, it could not charge while playing Zelda when the Switch was at ~60%.

Later I tested to see if it would at least lower the drainage of the Switch battery. The result was when the Switch was fully charged it drained the PB first. Got something around 3h using about 75-85% of the PB.

This is interesting. So essentially you are saying the Switch will drain a portable charger first (when fully charged/does it have to be fully charged?) and then its own battery?

Going by this, you would have been able to use the Switch for about 6-7 hours total using the PB you have and the Switch's battery before having to recharge anything at all?

kkg1701

This is interesting. So essentially you are saying the Switch will drain a portable charger first (when fully charged/does it have to be fully charged?) and then its own battery?

Going by this, you would have been able to use the Switch for about 6-7 hours total using the PB you have and the Switch's battery before having to recharge anything at all?

It seems that way. First try was with the Switch at 60% battery and it would charge when not running Zelda. Don't know if this powerbank will charge while running Zelda with a different cable though, since it seems people have posted that the cable included with the pro-controller won't work for charging while in use.

UPDATE: Did a new test today and the PB lasted 5.5 hours before the Switch started drainging its internal battery. The PB was not at 0% but it's hard to tell since all it has are 4 leds indicating how much power it has left.

sadromeo

It seems that way. First try was with the Switch at 60% battery and it would charge when not running Zelda. Don't know if this powerbank will charge while running Zelda with a different cable though, since it seems people have posted that the cable included with the pro-controller won't work for charging while in use.

Yeah, I think I read that the amps allowed through the pro controller cable is not enough to sustain a charge to the Switch while in use when plugged into a powerbank.

I ended up getting the Aukey 30000mah USB-C one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01F8IRIN0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It already has a review from someone using it with the Switch. Plus the capacity should be good to keep the Switch playing for awhile.

Some reading for you lot!

A reddit user has compiled some information on Power Banks, cables and wall chargers for the Switch.

This user also made several posts on the switch sub warning people about the dangers of combining the switch (or any device for that matter) with proprietary charging systems (E.g Qualcomm quickcharge), so they seem to know what they're talking about.

Anyway, I took the plunge and purchased his recommended charger and one of the Anker cables. They should show up on Tuesday so I'll let you all know the results and relevant amazon links.

sadromeo

If a powerbank has quick charge but only the usb-a ports, it should not affect the usb-c port right? Unless it specifically says it does?

N30RYU

My iMuto 30000mAh works perfectly.
With 75% volume and 100% brightness in plane mode keeps charging the Switch faster than it drains.

I have played about 10h and have 45% left in the power bank.

With 75% volume and 100% brightness in plane mode keeps charging the Switch faster than it drains.

Can you put the link for your power bank and the cable you used ?

A reddit user has compiled some information on Power Banks, cables and wall chargers for the Switch.

This user also made several posts on the switch sub warning people about the dangers of combining the switch (or any device for that matter) with proprietary charging systems (E.g Qualcomm quickcharge), so they seem to know what they're talking about.

Anyway, I took the plunge and purchased his recommended charger and one of the Anker cables. They should show up on Tuesday so I'll let you all know the results and relevant amazon links.

Phew those recommend ones are expensive but will be worth it down the road

I got one for x-mas '16.

Since I don't have a Nintendo Switch yet but will this power bank do?

InstaCharge Power Bank:

Input: DC5V-1A (MAX)
Output 1: DC5V-1A (MAX)
Output 2: DC5V-2.1A (MAX)
Capacity: 8800mAh

Phew those recommend ones are expensive but will be worth it down the road

His top-rated one cost about £36 on Amazon UK. Considering it's really high capacity that's not too bad actually. (Plus an extra £7 for a C-C cable....)

I got one for x-mas '16.

Since I don't have a Nintendo Switch yet but will this power bank do?

InstaCharge Power Bank:

Input: DC5V-1A (MAX)
Output 1: DC5V-1A (MAX)
Output 2: DC5V-2.1A (MAX)
Capacity: 8800mAh

Output 2 might work. It's kinda hard to tell right now.

CazTGG

Yeah, I think I read that the amps allowed through the pro controller cable is not enough to sustain a charge to the Switch while in use when plugged into a powerbank.

I ended up getting the Aukey 30000mah USB-C one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01F8IRIN0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It already has a review from someone using it with the Switch. Plus the capacity should be good to keep the Switch playing for awhile.

Just a note about the capacity: Big as at may be, don't expect the 30,000 to be exact amount supplied. The general rule with power banks is, unless otherwise tested, assume its actual capacity to be between 60-80% of its advertised capacity (18K-24K mAh). To be sure, it will still give the system upwards of four full charges but it's not as massive as it sounds on paper, especially when you factor in the battery's loss of charge over time.

sadromeo

This is what I want.

I hope I get the same results with the PB i just got.

Which powerbank did you get?

sadromeo

Just a note about the capacity: Big as at may be, don't expect the 30,000 to be exact amount supplied. The general rule with power banks is, unless otherwise tested, assume its actual capacity to be between 60-80% of its advertised capacity (18K-24K mAh). To be sure, it will still give the system upwards of four full charges but it's not as massive as it sounds on paper, especially when you factor in the battery's loss of charge over time.

True, I know. I am just trying to get as much juice as possible for the price range I can afford and not blow up the Switch in the process.

So what's the final word on this ?

I have 23000 powerbank with standard USB 2.4A port, is it enough ? Will it charge while playing ? How long will it take to charge ? Will it only slow down ?

I can test this tomorrow and post back. Still awaiting my Amazon delivery. I'm curious too.

Admodieus

I picked up the RavPower 20100 mah QC3, along with anker usb c- usb c 2.0 cable, and anker usb a - usb c cables, and it works perfectly fine using either ports.

RAVPower-20100mAh-Portable-QC3

Anker-PowerLine-Resistor-USB-A-C

Anker-PowerLine-USB-C-C

I also grabbed an Anker QC 3, wall charger for the battery pack and my cell phones only

Anker-Charger-QC3

As a bonus the battery pack comes with a usb a to usb micro cable that is long and one that is short, so you can also charge your phone too while playing the switch >.<

Just another note, in Canada we can't even order the reddit recommended battery packs, so I found this to be an excellent alternative for a great price.

EloquentM

aka Mannny

It makes sense I think. If the switch thinks the power bank is the dock it's going to pull electricity there first if it's at %100

VPhys

I picked up the RavPower 20100 mah QC3, along with anker usb c- usb c 2.0 cable, and anker usb a - usb c cables, and it works perfectly fine using either ports.

RAVPower-20100mAh-Portable-QC3

Anker-PowerLine-Resistor-USB-A-C

Anker-PowerLine-USB-C-C

I also grabbed an Anker QC 3, wall charger for the battery pack and my cell phones only

Anker-Charger-QC3

As a bonus the battery pack comes with a usb a to usb micro cable that is long and one that is short, so you can also charge your phone too while playing the switch >.<

Just another note, in Canada we can't even order the reddit recommended battery packs, so I found this to be an excellent alternative for a great price.

I also went with this charger. Can you tell me does the USB-C to USB-C cable charge the switch faster than the included USB 3.0 TO USB-C cable.

I also went with this charger. Can you tell me does the USB-C to USB-C cable charge the switch faster than the included USB 3.0 TO USB-C cable.

I haven't tried the included one to be honest since when I bought it, I didn't realize it came with that little micro to usb c adapter.

usb c cables are notorious for being finicky though, so if you have trouble using the included adapter I'd grab a good brand usb c to c cable.

ok, now this one works for the switch.

https://slickdeals.net/f/9831603-ra...battery-pack-36-free-shipping?page=5#comments

it has USB C port, and now only costs $36 on sale.

somebody here has used and works fine.

Ya lol that's the one I've been using, I just picked up some better cables from Anker to be on the safe side (I've always had good luck with their cables for my phones etc.)

Also grabbed the anker qc 3 charger to charge the battery pack in around 4hrs vs the 8+ using regular chargers.

VPhys

ok, now this one works for the switch.

https://slickdeals.net/f/9831603-ra...battery-pack-36-free-shipping?page=5#comments

it has USB C port, and now only costs $36 on sale.

somebody here has used and works fine.

Booker this is the same one being discussed above you.

usb c cables are notorious for being finicky though

Did you mean to say micro - usb?

I have also known micro USB to be EXTREMELY finicky. My S7 edge won't even quickcharge anymore no matter what micro USB cable I use. Are USB-C cables just as finiky.

I guess as a last resort I can use my macbook USB-C cable that should be high quality.

Did you mean to say micro - usb?

I have also known micro USB to be EXTREMELY finicky. My S7 edge won't even quickcharge anymore no matter what micro USB cable I use. Are USB-C cables just as finiky.

I guess as a last resort I can use my macbook USB-C cable that should be high quality.

Yeah you are right both can be a pain, low quality usb c cables are known to limit charge current etc. some don't have proper resistance to meet standards as well.

If you find the included one isn't charging at all when you are playing Zelda and your power actually drains, give a better cable a try.

Edit: I had the same problem with my s6 and priv, both wouldn't quick charge anymore until I bought an Anker branded one >.< the thin ones that came with my official BB charging dock died within a week too the pos'

Keep in mind the RAVPower on sale is not the one with USB-PD so it will charge slower than the RAVPower "30W" ones if you play while charging.

I'm still picking it up though as the price is great and it will work very well with my Nexus 6P and Nexus 9. I've been needing a new power bank for a while. I'm not concerned with charging the Switch while playing. Maintaining a charge is fine with me.

Those RAVPower banks seem like the best choice right now. They're the only reputable brand I can find that reliably and clearly lists their power output with USB-C that meet or exceed what the Switch can accept.

Yeah that's why I went with it, plus the few that do support USB-PD have some really conflicting responses about whether or not the really follow proper protocols. It was a confusing mess trying to figure out the right one to buy.

I think it comes down to anything that has a single port rated at 5v 2A+ and good cables that aren't limiting current. The ones I listed above (both battery pack and cables) are rated for proper usage, here's the specs from the back of my powerbank:

Capacity: 20100mAh/74.3Wh
Quick Charge 3.0 Input: DC 5V-12V 2A Max
Type C Input: DC 5V 3A Max
iSmart Output: DC 5V 2.4A Max
Quick Charge 3.0 Output: DC 5V-6.5V 3A/6.5-9V 2A/9V-12V 1.5A Max
Type C Output: DC 5V 3A Max

The official car charger is rated at 5v 3A Max, so it's clear the 15v USB-PD side of things isn't required, but likely charges a bit faster =)

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
If one of these devices has multiple outputs for the same port (5V, 15V, 20V, etc.) how does it determine which voltage to use? Since the Switch takes 15V, is that communicated over the wire somehow?

Bought. Thanks. I guess I need a USB-C Cable to go with it? Any recommendations? :D

Any of the Anker Powerline series cables are fine, there's some other brands too but you gotta dig around on reddit for them or go by reviews.

If one of these devices has multiple outputs for the same port (5V, 15V, 20V, etc.) how does it determine which voltage to use? Since the Switch takes 15V, is that communicated over the wire somehow?

The switch won't use the QuickCharge port's variable voltages, and in some cases falls back to only 1Amp, so for the power pack I listed you would want to use either the USB C port, or the iSmart USBA port. QC3 was made for certain cell phones basically, and nothing else really uses it as it has to communicate both ways to negotiate the voltage/amperages.

The switch will however use USB-PD type C ports, but there's only 2 known power banks that use it. What it does is communicates between the two devices and then finds the maximum voltage/amperage to charge safely at. This allows charging to go a bit faster.

For general use though 5v 2A+ will also output more than the switch is able to drain so as long as good cables are used (so current isn't being lowered) you would see a charge, slow but still a charge and not a loss while playing.

So for most recommended supplies, 2.4A or 3A on the 5v ports is fine when you take cable loss into consideration.

Coffinhal

I can test this tomorrow and post back. Still awaiting my Amazon delivery. I'm curious too.

I finally decided to upgrade to an Anker Powerline+ 20100mAh series which has USB-C.
The USB-A to USB-C cable was 14 euros while the new battery, coming with both USB-A to USB-C and USB-C to USB-C cables, was 50 euros. I'm going to sell my old one to my roomate for 20 euros so I'm good financially and I can play with my Switch without having to worry about fast it charges or not.

Philly40

It's probably worth reminding everyone to only buy from reputable manufacturers / retailers.

When I hear numbers like 30,000 mAh and 45W total output I can't help thinking this is a house fire waiting to happen.

Haven't received my power bank just yet, but I thought you guys might like to know this information I found out today:

The cable supplied with the Pro Controller is capable of charging the switch whilst it plays Zelda

I plugged the cable into an Apple iPad charger and it was able to charge up the battery whilst I played in portable mode. Admittedly, not all that quickly, but it certainly did manage it. Gained about 10% over 45 mins of playtime.

Just for clarification, here are the stats of said charger:

Apple 10W USB Power Adapter
Model No A1357 W010A051
Output 5.1V 2.1A

Using the USB A -> C cable supplied with the pro controller.

I don't think he was specifically warning about the Qualcomm charging unless you could provide a quote please?

Reading through that thread, it's not as decisive as you might think. The person you're referring edited the post to clarify further, and states he hasn't tested on the Switch.

Did you check out the YouTube video? This isn't a switch-specific issue.

Edit: I mean it's up to you. It's the word of one internet denizen against another, but I'd rather stick to verified USB standard devices when dealing with my hardware.

NeOak

I think what the article is suggesting is that the Switch only pulls under 10 watts from power banks because the ones they tested would only supply that much. Others are capable of supplying more. It's implied in the text that the RAVPower (not tested) should be able to supply the max that the Switch will accept, which backs up the findings of the reddit guy.

Uh

Notably, the Switch can’t draw more than the aforementioned 9.1W from the Xtron, or indeed any other tablet-sized power bank I’ve thrown at the Switch. In fact every 5V-capable USB-C power source I’ve thrown at the Switch maxes out at this same point. At 5V, the Switch doesn’t seem to be able to draw more than 2 Amps.

He tried even AC adapters. It wouldn't budge.

The RAVPower with USB-PD can negotiate 15V with the Switch and provide that.

chronomac

I have two things in my Amazon cart at the moment and need some feedback before checking out:

Neither of these is high-priority, so I may just end up waiting. We really need a definitive list of power banks and wall chargers that definitely work with the Switch, to the point where you can play and charge simultaneously and not do any damage to the system.

Top Bottom