• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PR: COLECO to release Chameleon, console that focuses on new cartridge games

Mike Williams seems like a shady dude after all of this, but damn the CU podcast is such a black or white podcast. There is no subtlety with Ian and Pat, it's almost hard to listen to. So much name calling, yikes.

EDIT: Mike Kennedy, I mean.

coughlanio

Mike Williams seems like a shady dude after all of this, but damn the CU podcast is such a black or white podcast. There is no subtlety with Ian and Pat, it's almost hard to listen to. So much name calling, yikes.

Yeah, a lot of vitriol for something, that yeah is shitty, but it's not like he molested someone. I'd imagine Mike is pretty hard up for cash after everything, so I wouldn't blame him for doing it, even if it was a shitty thing to do to a friend.

Mike Williams is a mod here and writer for USgamer. I met him, he's awesome.

I'm sure he meant Mike Kennedy.

While this thread was dead a few months ago I made a short silent film retelling the Retro VGS story. Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/jIOpto-v5dk

Yeah, a lot of vitriol for something, that yeah is shitty, but it's not like he molested someone. I'd imagine Mike is pretty hard up for cash after everything, so I wouldn't blame him for doing it, even if it was a shitty thing to do to a friend.

You wouldn't blame him for selling stuff that wasn't his? Why wouldn't you?

NeOak

They call that stealing

Tripon

Those Coleco tabletop games mini arcade things prices widely fluctuate if it has original parts or been repaired, we're talking at least hundred of dollars. To sell the tapletop games as originals without mentioning any repairs is at least unethical and probably fraud.

Risible

I don't feel they were too harsh at all. The dude is an obvious scammer and should be called out. They aren't calling for violence, they're just calling him the shitbag he is.

Cheerilee

You wouldn't blame him for selling stuff that wasn't his? Why wouldn't you?

KtZBEj8.png

Bart: Uh, say, are you guys crooks?
Tony: Bart, is it wrong to steal a loaf of bread to feed your starving family?
Bart: No.
Tony: Well, suppose you got a large starving family. Is it wrong to steal a truckload of bread to feed them?
Bart: Uh uh.
Tony: And, what if your family don't like bread? They like... cigarettes?
Bart: I guess that's okay.
Tony: Now, what if instead of giving them away, you sold them at a price that was practically giving them away. Would that be a crime, Bart?
Bart: Hell, no.

Cynn

Finally got my pre-order console. It plays all of my SNES games!

https://imgur.com/gallery/lE4O1

(That's me with the Toyfare / totally not an SNES CC prototype. It was on display at the Southern Fried Gaming Expo last weekend by a burned parter of the project.)

Khaz

summary: Someone called Willie loaned him three Coleco tabletop games and expressely told him to not sell them.

Mike Kennedy sold them

This is something I would expect from a 6th grade shit friend, not a grown up adult.

Finally got my pre-order console. It plays all of my SNES games!

https://imgur.com/gallery/lE4O1

(That's me with the Toyfare / totally not an SNES CC prototype. It was on display at the Southern Fried Gaming Expo last weekend by a burned parter of the project.)

Damn, so this is the thing that was displayed by Mike Kennedy? this belongs in a museum man.

Mega

Banned
The people who do this stuff tend to have psychological issues. I think a medical professional would find he is a narcissistic, pathological liar whose lying and stealing are impulse driven and out of control.

I don't know what else can explain someone who continues to behave this way after getting exposed so frequently and so thoroughly, after everything that has happened. He gets caught with chocolate on his face and both hands in the cookie jar and, knowing that no one believes him for a second, he still tries to weasel his way out of these ridiculous situations he created with even worse lies. A normal, sane person would have stopped after getting caught and cleaned up their act already.

Note that I'm not excusing Mike's behavior as some uncontrollable mental illness. He's still entirely at fault. I just think he has serious issues and should get help, or at least fuck off forever and stop screwing over the retro gaming community.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
I do remember Willie on the AtariAge forums defending Mike Kennedy in a calm and reasonable manner. I'm guessing he won't be sending Mike a Christmas card this year.

univbee

I work in a repurposed Coleco factory and every time news about Mike hits the little historical shrine they have downstairs bleeds.

Glix

I work in a repurposed Coleco factory and every time news about Mike hits the little historical shrine they have downstairs bleeds.

Wait really? Can we see a pic or two of the shrine??? That kind of stuff fascinates me

EDIT - I understand the bleeding part was a joke i just want to see the shrine.

univbee

Wait really? Can we see a pic or two of the shrine??? That kind of stuff fascinates me

EDIT - I understand the bleeding part was a joke i just want to see the shrine.

Quality isn't stellar but here.

EonGpbgl.jpg

Translation of the little sign next to it:

From 1967 to 1988, the COLECO Toy Factory was located in this building.

Here, of note were built Cabbage Patch Kids dolls, video games like PONG, PacMan and Donkey Kong consoles, the ADAM computer, and many other toys of which a few samples are on display behind this glass.

I have now done more for Coleco than Mike.

Mega

Banned
Mike would raid that display, sell the stuff inside without telling anyone where it came from and pocket all the money. He would spin a convoluted tale about how you offered him a tour and gave him the impression he could take any "old stuff lying around."

If you cleared it up that nothing of the sort was said or implied, he would remind us that you didn't explicitly say he couldn't take it and therefore it's your fault and Carlsen's and a dozen other people for not saying so! And as a bonus, he would emphasize he was saving those items from being "stuck" on a dusty old shelf and selling it was entirely for the benefit of the retro gaming community. He was deceitful and stealing for all of us.

Cheerilee

The people who do this stuff tend to have psychological issues. I think a medical professional would find he is a narcissistic, pathological liar whose lying and stealing are impulse driven and out of control.

I don't know what else can explain someone who continues to behave this way after getting exposed so frequently and so thoroughly, after everything that has happened. He gets caught with chocolate on his face and both hands in the cookie jar and, knowing that no one believes him for a second, he still tries to weasel his way out of these ridiculous situations he created with even worse lies. A normal, sane person would have stopped after getting caught and cleaned up their act already.

Note that I'm not excusing Mike's behavior as some uncontrollable mental illness. He's still entirely at fault. I just think he has serious issues and should get help, or at least fuck off forever and stop screwing over the retro gaming community.

Well, I think he pinned the whole Chameleon fiasco on "I was scammed by a mystery scammer." Not really provable or disprovable, and it doesn't excuse everything about the fiasco, but maybe, just maybe, he was a victim, not a crazy person.

And maybe, just maybe, he got those units confused as part of his collection (I know I've occasionally looked at a DVD on my shelf, stopped, and asked "Wait. Is this mine? Did I buy this? I seem to have a vague recollection of Bob lending it to me. Hey Bob, did you lend this to me?" Bob: "Yes goddamnit. Took your sweet time. I've been waiting years for you to give that back. Did you even watch it? You didn't watch it, did you? Asshole.").

If Mike needed money (supporting the theory that he was a victim of the Chameleon, not the mastermind), he could have sold those units as an honest mistake. He offered to give the money to Willie, he's just not willing/able to "undo" his fuck-up by turning around an eBay ship that sailed months ago.

Maybe. Or he's just a scammer and a liar and a crazy person.

Mega

Banned
It's completely the latter. He's been caught 100% outright lying too many times and not once fessed up and apologized like an adult. A lot of the stories that came out from behind the scenes were people relaying conversations about how Mike stole money in the past or wanted someone to lie to make his nonexistent hardware more enticing for potential backers.

IrishNinja

yeah, new info's always nice but i could do without Pat & co

I have now done more for Coleco than Mike.

haha, damn...also really cool, thanks for posting that!

mosaic

go eat paint
I don't know what's more disturbing: That someone setup a "Buy Willie a Sandwich" campaign on Gofundme, or that Mike contributed $60....

Or that about 4 years ago, Mike Kennedy was generally an even keel, decent member of the retro community...

Did GameGavel finally destroy his ethical compass?
Was it Retro Magazine?
Was it the grinder of trying to be an idea man on projects above his capacity?

What the flying funk flips someone like that?!

Cynn

This is something I would expect from a 6th grade shit friend, not a grown up adult.

Damn, so this is the thing that was displayed by Mike Kennedy? this belongs in a museum man.
Yep it was the actual one! They're showing it as the unicorn of lies that it is. lol

Khaz

Weird rant. They don't like the guy, they don't like the magazine, but it feels like a personal vendetta now. RETRO is trying to diversify and sell (real) products, I don't see anything wrong with that. They should get over it.

Remk

Yeah... that just seems mean spirited.
He is just putting some stuff for sale to try and finance another project, OH THE HORROR!

The Chameleon was a sham for sure but that video was ridiculous

panda-zebra

Banned
Yeah... that just seems mean spirited.
He is just putting some stuff for sale to try and finance another project, OH THE HORROR!

The Chameleon was a sham for sure but that video was ridiculous

He's still not shipped the full set of mags from the last round - some people never saw a single copy. It's clearly yet more peter-to-pay-paul antics from MK and they have every right to point this out.

Well with the upcoming NIntendo Switch I guess we finally have a new "cartridge" game console.

Vita TV says hi
from the grave :( :( :(

Peltz

KtZBEj8.png

Bart: Uh, say, are you guys crooks?
Tony: Bart, is it wrong to steal a loaf of bread to feed your starving family?
Bart: No.
Tony: Well, suppose you got a large starving family. Is it wrong to steal a truckload of bread to feed them?
Bart: Uh uh.
Tony: And, what if your family don't like bread? They like... cigarettes?
Bart: I guess that's okay.
Tony: Now, what if instead of giving them away, you sold them at a price that was practically giving them away. Would that be a crime, Bart?
Bart: Hell, no.
lol. I remember this. So funny.

dickroach

lol I actually just checked in on atariage a few days ago just to see if there was anything new with this whole fiasco out of nowhere and the Coleco Chameleon thread was still at the top of Modern Gaming
this guy seems blissfully unaware that he CRUSHED his own reputation. looking for almost 10Gs. o no

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pe3D_1q9mOg

Mike Kennedy trying to restart RETRO magazine with a paetron model.

lol I actually just checked in on atariage a few days ago just to see if there was anything new with this whole fiasco out of nowhere and the Coleco Chameleon thread was still at the top of Modern Gaming
this guy seems blissfully unaware that he CRUSHED his own reputation. looking for almost 10Gs. o no

Retro has been a good mag, I've enjoyed every issue.

Maybe the guy can just do what he's good at? Everybody makes mistakes.

s_mirage

He didn't just make mistakes though, he repeatedly lied and tried to deceive people over the Chameleon. Not only that, it's widely regarded that Retro was mismanaged too. Even if we believe his story that he was duped, that only serves to make him appear incompetent rather than a fraud, and still not someone who people should be giving money to.

OnPoint

A continued pattern of behavior is not "mistakes". Even if he has put together one good product, he's burned a ton of people with many others. I'll personally never give the guy a penny.

Petrae

The RETRO Magazine brand is forever toxic, primarily because of Kennedy's involvement.

People do make mistakes, but Kennedy represents more than mistakes being made. His decision-making has been poor at best, and it has been a trend-- even with RETRO's administration, if we somehow put aside the disasterbacle that was the Chameleon.

Top Bottom