• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS 2 discussion thread (provisional release date: Septemberish 2017)

Mascot

Vanilla pCars 2 is £37.34 on Steam (including the 17% discount for already owning pCARS). Edit: or £32.50 from CDkeys, without owning pCARS.
The DeLuxe edition with the season pass is £62.28 on Steam (including 11% discount for already owning pCARS) .
Difference of £24.94.
I can't see the season pass for sale on Steam, but I assume it's £25? (It's $29.99, I believe).

So where's the incentive to preorder the season pass? Why not wait for the first season pass content to be announced and see it it's of interest? The Motorsports Pack has been confirmed as included with the season pass no matter when you buy it (ie it's NOT a pre-order bonus). Better discounted deals on the season pass might also be available by then from resellers, or it might even be cheaper on Steam.

Also, pCARS can be had pretty cheap on Steam (CDkeys or ebay sellers offloading keys cheap in prep for pCARS 2) so it might actually pay people to buy pCARS before buying pCARS 2 to get the 17% off, AND you'd get a 'free' copy of the first pCARS into the bargain.

NOT buying the season pass at least until, maybe after the first season pass content is available definitely seems to be the most sensible option. Nothing to lose and plenty to gain, unless I'm missing something..?

GHG

Guys, anyone?:

GHG said:
Has anyone got an album of high quality screenshots they can send me for the OT?

They ended the beta access and I didn't take nearly enough screenshots.

In particular I would like some screenshots from interiors of some of the road cars from the driving view position since I don't have any of those.

fresquito

You are missing you will not play it for a whole year? I mean, it's like, what's the benefit of buying the game now and not in one year,. when it will be cheaper? You can play it now.

I'm not defending Season Pass or anything like that, I hate this trend (or should I say this reality, because I think this is here to stay), but, as with anything, the benefit to buy early is play early.

Guys, anyone?:
Sorry, I don't have any quality pic.

danowat

Banned
You are missing you will not play it for a whole year? I mean, it's like, what's the benefit of buying the game now and not in one year,. when it will be cheaper? You can play it now.

I'm not defending Season Pass or anything like that, I hate this trend (or should I say this reality, because I think this is here to stay), but, as with anything, the benefit to buy early is play early.

Huh?, I think the point is you wait till the first DLC pack to get a flavour of whether you think the content is going to be worth getting the season pass for you.

GHG

What about the PCars site?, do they have a ton of media?, failing that, maybe ask on the PCars forum?, I am sure someone there would have a stack of screenies.

Yeh I'll probably just try on WMD if nobody here has any they would like to offer up.

Mascot

GHG, did you decide on an OT thread title yet?
Here are the ones suggested recently in this thread, in order of posting. Some might have been missed if they didn't have the "Project CARS 2 |OT|" prefix and therefore easy to spot.

1. Project CARS 2 |OT| Francorchamps Valley and the Four Seasons
  2. Project CARS 2 |OT| First Glove
  3. Project CARS 2 |OT| Seasoned To Perfection
  4. Project CARS 2 |OT| The Track Is Alive With The Sound of Backfire
  5. Project CARS 2 |OT| A Meteorologist's Dream
  6. Project CARS 2 |OT| It's much better now! (no, really!)
  7. Project CARS 2 |OT| Drivatarless Single Player Goodness[or Drivatarless Single Player Career]
  8. Project Cars 2 |OT| Winter is coming (and so is Summer, Autumn and Spring)
  9. Project Cars 2 |OT| Real Virtua Racing
  10. Project Cars 2 |OT| Winter is coming (and so is Summer, Autumn and Spring)
  11. Project Cars 2's a crowd, Four's a tour is more fun
  12. Project Cars 2: its not forza or gran turismo.
  13. Project Cars 2: Bell Weather (lead not follow)
  14. Project CARS 2 |OT| When others are still discussing "dynamic" and you are in another season already
  15. Project CARS 2 |OT| Tracks Of My Years
  16. Project CARS 2 |OT|: Please don't confuse this game with that awful Pixar movie!
  17. Project CARS 2 |OT| - works with controllers
  18. Project CARS 2 |OT| - Ian Bell Wheelie Controls Us
  19. Project Cars 2 |OT| It's Gran Turismo without the bullshit
  20. Project Cars 2 |OT| Le quattro stagioni by Ian Bell
  21. Project Cars 2 |OT| More feels - Less loose
  22. Project Cars 2 |OT| Enjoy your stay at the Four Seasons
  23. Project Cars 2 |OT| The joypad control makes me rally cross
  24. Project Cars 2 |OT| Padded Out
  25. Project Cars 2 |OT| For whom the Bell tolls.
  26. Project CARS 2 |OT| - Riders in the Storm
  27. Project CARS 2 |OT Gamepad players allowed to RallyX on the ice (live)track this season
  28. Project CARS 2 |OT Properly padded out with RallyX for all seasons
  29. Project Cars 2 |OT| They aren't fucking oven gloves!
  30. Project CARS 2 |OT| Ice Ice Maybe
  31. Project CARS 2 |OT| ...just when you thought you wanted one of the other 2
  32. Project CARS 2 |OT| Trying to Undercut the Competition
  33. Project CARS 2 |OT| Our (insert anything) is Dynamic
  34. Project CARS 2 |OT| The kings are nude
  35. Project CARS 2 |OT| Anything they can do, I can (arguably) do better
  36. Project CARS 2 |OT| Slightly Worse Audio Than RaceRoom
  37. Project CARS 2 |OT| Not some slideshow fuckfest to invoke hyperventilating and pant-shitting
  38. Project CARS 2 |OT| 60 or Death

MaLDo

GHG, did you decide on an OT thread title yet?
Here are the ones suggested recently in this thread, in order of posting. Some might have been missed if they didn't have the "Project CARS 2 |OT|" prefix and therefore easy to spot.

1. Project CARS 2 |OT| Francorchamps Valley and the Four Seasons
  2. Project CARS 2 |OT| First Glove
  3. Project CARS 2 |OT| Seasoned To Perfection
  4. Project CARS 2 |OT| The Track Is Alive With The Sound of Backfire
  5. Project CARS 2 |OT| A Meteorologist's Dream
  6. Project CARS 2 |OT| It's much better now! (no, really!)
  7. Project CARS 2 |OT| Drivatarless Single Player Goodness[or Drivatarless Single Player Career]
  8. Project Cars 2 |OT| Winter is coming (and so is Summer, Autumn and Spring)
  9. Project Cars 2 |OT| Real Virtua Racing
  10. Project Cars 2 |OT| Winter is coming (and so is Summer, Autumn and Spring)
  11. Project Cars 2's a crowd, Four's a tour is more fun
  12. Project Cars 2: its not forza or gran turismo.
  13. Project Cars 2: Bell Weather (lead not follow)
  14. Project CARS 2 |OT| When others are still discussing "dynamic" and you are in another season already
  15. Project CARS 2 |OT| Tracks Of My Years
  16. Project CARS 2 |OT|: Please don't confuse this game with that awful Pixar movie!
  17. Project CARS 2 |OT| - works with controllers
  18. Project CARS 2 |OT| - Ian Bell Wheelie Controls Us
  19. Project Cars 2 |OT| It's Gran Turismo without the bullshit
  20. Project Cars 2 |OT| Le quattro stagioni by Ian Bell
  21. Project Cars 2 |OT| More feels - Less loose
  22. Project Cars 2 |OT| Enjoy your stay at the Four Seasons
  23. Project Cars 2 |OT| The joypad control makes me rally cross
  24. Project Cars 2 |OT| Padded Out
  25. Project Cars 2 |OT| For whom the Bell tolls.
  26. Project CARS 2 |OT| - Riders in the Storm
  27. Project CARS 2 |OT Gamepad players allowed to RallyX on the ice (live)track this season
  28. Project CARS 2 |OT Properly padded out with RallyX for all seasons
  29. Project Cars 2 |OT| They aren't fucking oven gloves!
  30. Project CARS 2 |OT| Ice Ice Maybe
  31. Project CARS 2 |OT| ...just when you thought you wanted one of the other 2
  32. Project CARS 2 |OT| Trying to Undercut the Competition
  33. Project CARS 2 |OT| Our (insert anything) is Dynamic
  34. Project CARS 2 |OT| The kings are nude
  35. Project CARS 2 |OT| Anything they can do, I can (arguably) do better
  36. Project CARS 2 |OT| Slightly Worse Audio Than RaceRoom
  37. Project CARS 2 |OT| Not some slideshow fuckfest to invoke hyperventilating and pant-shitting
  38. Project CARS 2 |OT| 60 or Death

IMO, this is the best one

Project CARS 2 |OT| The kings are nude

Maybe I can add a little bit in the end...

Project CARS 2 |OT| The kings are nude. This one is really stewed.

Mascot

Gotta love Ian Bell's confidence.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/lack-of-xbox-one-gameplay-footage-pre-release-feeling-of-deja-vu.358907/

Two threads for this?

The Xbox version looks great. Keep trying guys. It's better than Forza.

Edit:

I don't know, none of us have seen Forza on the standard Xbox. We do run and play wonderfully on it though.

Open another thread :) And say hi to your friends at Turn 10 from me

I get the feeling he's been drinking..! :p

KdotIX

IMO, this is the best one

Project CARS 2 |OT| The kings are nude

Maybe I can add a little bit in the end...

Project CARS 2 |OT| The kings are nude. This one is really stewed.

I'm gonna throw one more entry into the ring:

Project CARS 2 |OT| Better, Wetter.

Admittedly stolen from Apple's marketing for the Watch Series 2!

Grassy

Project Cars 2 |OT| What's Behind You Doesn't Matter

It's an Enzo Ferrari quote, and a more subtle take on the PCars v GT v Forza rivalry seeing as PCars 2 releases before the other two...

Keep watching that thread - it might get juicy.
I do admire his bluntness.

I can think of another word that rhymes with blunt ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

xrnzaaas

It's awesome that the pad controls are great this time. I don't mind a little bit tinkering, but it took me a few days to find a decent setting in the first game and it was still not perfect for some vehicle classes.

fresquito

WTF? The wheel control better not be borked..!

I can't imagine it is, but I'm not preordering until the reviews land with the D1P. The media builds had problems.
I found that quote disturbing, to be honest.

Some time ago there was an autocalibration thingie going on during playtime. This meant FFB was very, very light until it calibrated itself. But that would take only two to three laps. I don't really know whether this autocalibration is still present for first time users or was erased once the release FFB settings were introduced. I also don't know what build they were using, or what wheel. I know there were some problems with some high caliber wheels, but these were shorted out, as far as I know.

With a T300, the game feels great out of the box (at least for me).

Mascot

Some time ago there was an autocalibration thingie going on during playtime. This meant FFB was very, very light until it calibrated itself. But that would take only two to three laps. I don't really know whether this autocalibration is still present for first time users or was erased once the release FFB settings were introduced. I also don't know what build they were using, or what wheel. I know there were some problems with some high caliber wheels, but these were shorted out, as far as I know.

Yeah, I really hope some last-minute change hasn't broken something. The large deadzones were a bit worrying - why those would be set as defaults is truly baffling. I don't want (nor should I expect) to have to fiddle with basic things like that as soon as I start the game. Hopefully the D1P has sorted it out.

Fox Mulder

It's the thoughts of several people so yeah I'd say it's OK :p

Not going to comment about Ian. He's more arrogant than Kaz at this point.

Launching in the same window as GT Sport and Forza 7 took balls. I bet he's even more cocky with how GT Sport is a pared down online focused game and Forza 7 is jizzing itself over 4k rain. Pcars 2 does look like the better game on paper.

you'd think he'd dial it back a bit though. He was a bit loathsome last time.

Mascot

Fuck it, sod waiting for the reviews. The price is creeping up on CDkeys so I've ordered the base game and will look at doing the season pass later, assuming none of the tracks are rallycross or ice circuits.

KdotIX

Project Cars 2 |OT| What's Behind You Doesn't Matter

It's an Enzo Ferrari quote, and a more subtle take on the PCars v GT v Forza rivalry seeing as PCars 2 releases before the other two...

I can think of another word that rhymes with blunt ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

That is a great title. Fits perfectly for this release given the context you've explained and given Ian Bell's recent bullish comments, kinda resonates in this quote in a more subtle way.

The preview went on to say that they talked with Ian Bell and he said that preview build was weeks old and those issues should have already been addressed.
They also said that after a little fine tuning, they got the calibration to a good state and that menu was accessible in-game. Meaning they could tweak and drive, tweak and drive etc.

danowat

Banned
Fuck it, sod waiting for the reviews. The price is creeping up on CDkeys so I've ordered the base game and will look at doing the season pass later, assuming none of the tracks are rallycross or ice circuits.

I'm waiting till Monday, price won't budge on console, so no reason not to wait.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
That is a great title. Fits perfectly for this release given the context you've explained and given Ian Bell's recent bullish comments, kinda resonates in this quote in a more subtle way.

The preview went on to say that they talked with Ian Bell and he said that preview build was weeks old and those issues should have already been addressed.
They also said that after a little fine tuning, they got the calibration to a good state and that menu was accessible in-game. Meaning they could tweak and drive, tweak and drive etc.

This will be huge for me. Always had such a hard time with tweaking settings between racing and really figuring out my own sweet spot. In fact, because of this, i generally stick with defaults. This should really help on the fly adjustments.

Grassy

Ian Bell revealed the resolution and some of the enhancements for the PS4 Pro version on GT Planet: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...ember-22nd-2017.342814/page-229#post-11942995
Compared to standard PS4:

PS4 Pro has increased graphics fidelity across the board.
It runs at a higher resolution, currently it is 2560 X 1440 which is sometimes referred to as 2.5k which is upscaling beautifully to 4k.
It has:
Extra track detail meshes.
Increased level of detail on cars, track objects, grass etc.
Increased detail and resolution with shadow rendering.
Increased detail and resolution with reflection rendering.

Anyone know the file size on PC, including the d1p? I need to shift some apps from ssd to hdd to make some space.

The Steam store says 50GB, so add a few GB to that for the day one patch I guess. I think I'm going to need another SSD between this and Forza 7 @ ~100GB.

Bobnob

So who's gonna be playing this on X1 ? I wouldn't mind doing a Nascar or Indycar oval league wilst getting used to the game.

patchday

Wow the price on CDKeys has rose up high. Could have sworn it was like $34 last week?

Now I'm just better off preordering on Steam. I'm kinda bummed man this game is pretty high price for PC even with the 17% off

Trying to sort out how much time I'll have to play too since Marvel vs Capcom drops 2 days before this

So who's gonna be playing this on X1 ? I wouldn't mind doing a Nascar or Indycar oval league wilst getting used to the game.
If it's not just in a Forza or GT, I'm not sure these series are all that beginner friendly. Especially if the race is long enough for tire wear and refueling strategies, if all the flag rules and restarts are used and also if individual setups are allowed and some people find a good asymmetrical setup from looking at telemetry apps. But this time around I'm not on XB1 anyway. In PC sims the more casual races are typically in a Renault Clio Cup or Mazda Cup. If I were to pick a car for a beginner cup, I might give the Cayman a thought.

fresquito

Yeah, Clio or GT5 are very friendly. Not the most exciting cars for TT, but races tend to be nerve wrecking. Besides, you usually run these in shorter versions of more popular tracks, which widens the track roster for those thinking variants are lesser tracks.

Top Bottom