• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project GAF Inn - $5,000 for a mark in Obsidian's Project Eternity [FUNDED!]

Corto

Shag count me inn! I'll forfeit any of the goods of the pledge as I will maintain my personal pledge to get me that Collector's Edition.

Bulzeeb

No, No. I am not the owner. I'm just a passerby!

I don't want to take the fictional responsibility of the inn. If anything, the ficticious ownership can be given to the highest donor (or be put in a draw).

Anyways, everyone can decide what the goal is. I'll be back in an hr or so to see what decision has been made.

Again, this is global GAF participation! All are welcome to suggest ideas. Mod interference would be perfect and is acceptable.

Even if people can't donate when the pledge ends, they can still do so until the game releases. Let's see how it goes (I don't know! I'm excited and nervous!)

<3

the owner should be GafMan
and he will complain alot about the other inns stealing his exclusive blankets jk

What will be in the tavern: wall scrolls and figurines adorning the walls and shelves
What kind of item there will be: the in-game equivalent of junk food and soda
What the NPCs will look like: overweight pasty young men

volturnus

Banned
Obsidian folks are awesome, I'm sure that if some gaffer created a concept art for the Inn and the items they'd use/adapt it.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Oh, and for the record, I'm not against putting forward a few more bucks once the finer details are sorted. Viva la GAF!

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Obsidian folks are awesome, I'm sure that if some gaffer created a concept art for the Inn and the items they'd use/adapt it.

Here's the design descriptions btw:

iTVJec0pxycjP.png
iUJqL3SPtYf9Y.png
iCSLq3QUDt5hr.png

I think I'm actually more interested in the item you guys create than the actual inn or NPC.

Opiate

Guys, please be aware of what this means: if you kick in to this fund, you will NOT be getting the game (unless you also separately donate directly). The end result will be a single, 5,000 lump sum donation.

This is not intended to be a debbie downer, or to say the idea is bad, just that we have to think this through and make sure everyone knows what they're getting in to.

ultron87

I'm already backing to get the game for 20, but I'd definitely be willing to throw some bucks towards this as well.

Corto

Guys, please be aware of what this means: if you kick in to this fund, you will NOT be getting the game (unless you also separately donate directly). The end result will be a single, 5,000 lump sum donation.

This is not intended to be a debbie downer, or to say the idea is bad, just that we have to think this through and make sure everyone knows what they're getting in to.

If Shag or you wouldn't mind that could be posted in the OP as a cautionary reminder. Not that the majority of people in here don't know that was the case but I agree that is better to prevent some bad reactions in something that is meant as a great community experience.

guit3457

So basically, I directly pledged 20$ to the Kickstarter and I buy a ticket (in my casse, a 20$ ticket) to enter in te Neogaf Inn....:)

I'm in.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I am in for some monies as well! Who will be in contact with obsidian? Shag?

He is the one backing it and he'll be contacted for more information about the delivery of the goods anyway. So yeah, he'll be in contact for whatever might come up.

This thread is almost like a Kickstarter towards a Kickstarter donation? Hahaha. BUT I might be into this. Alone I'd never be giving amounts necessary for those REALLY interesting ones, but a community landmark would be pretty cool.

On the other hand, if this happens Jackson might start wanting a little something for GAF to keep appearing in Scribblenauts.

Opiate

If Shag or you wouldn't mind that could be posted in the OP as a cautionary reminder. Not that the majority of people in here don't know that was the case but I agree that is better to prevent some bad reactions in something that is meant as a great community experience.

We'll let shagg do it, if that's okay.

Just to be as forthright about this as possible, the moderators have had a discussion about this and decided to be hands off regarding this whenever possible. If something about this goes south (I'm not saying it will, just that of course with collaborations as complex as this things do happen) we don't want NeoGAF itself to be the responsible party. Especially since Evilore is famously on vacation; given that he is not here, we have to make sure he doesn't come home to a disaster on his forum.

The moderators will guide and help this process as possible, but aren't the leading force behind this project; Shagg is, and you guys are.

Munin

Well, I'm all for pledging to see this game happen, but I'd like to see it free of silly meta-jokes...

That's not restricted to GAF, as I'm not a whole fan of the "name a NPC" crap either.

volturnus

Banned
For those curious about this kind of community fund, RPG Codex did something similar with Wasteland 2 (which inspired the idea in the other thread) and it worked even better than expected:
http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=8034

The actually got $10k instead of 5, and that granted a statue, a weapon/location/npc and all the other rewards from lower pledges.
InXile also gave them 50 digital copies instead of 30, I'm sure we can work something out with Obsidian as well.
They had "official" help from the site itself, but they're a much smaller community and did it with less than 200 backers.
We can do it.

Agree. If anything, all the items gained by the donation will be given away in a draw. For those looking to buy the game, please support the devs. For those that want more or are being generous and want to own a piece of awesomeness, you're very welcome to be part of this journey!

P.S. I love you all and love the mods. I am not taking credit for the idea as it is not mine and I'm just initiating something awesome. Working on a decent OP with a FAQ. All ideas and concerns are welcome either in this thread or via PM.

<3

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Agree. If anything, all the items gained by the donation will be given away in a draw. For those looking to buy the game, please support the devs. For those that want more or are being generous and want to own a piece of awesomeness, you're very welcome to be part of this journey!

I'd still say that you/we should look into making those "winnable" items games only.
The organization of sending out physical goods and collect money for shipping them to the other end of the world could get pretty ugly.

Toma

If you're giving items away to donators, isn't that a raffle? And isn't running your own raffle illegal in the U.S.?

We are all just friends gifting him money. And then he feels so generous to give out some copies of the game! Not a raffle ;p

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I have no idea who the makers are, or what the game is, but I'll chip in just for the sheer balls of what shagg is doing.

Ceebs

I would be in for throwing more money at this in addition to what I have funded myself. Will probably be Monday though.

Toma

Reddit copycat thread already up? Cant take too long.

Alastor

No, I meant that Obsidian probably wont object to "talk" to the guys donating a huge amount of money. You could ask them not to make/send any physical goods for this pledge and only give out more game copies for the money they'll save for not producing and sending the physical goods. If you think this would be fine. Those would be way easier to share amongst those participating than physical goods.

This is great idea. +1 to talking to Obsidian, maybe they'll agree on one copy for every participating Gaffer? Eh, that's probably too good...

Toma

This is great idea. +1 to talking to Obsidian, maybe they'll agree on one copy for every participating Gaffer? Eh, that's probably too good...

We definitely should not expect that, but even like 5-10 copies more would be neat, and a way more feasible item to share with the other Gaffers than physical goods (shipping/insurance costs).

KKRT00

How about putting a goal on 7k$ and use additional 2k$ for 100 game keys for GAFers?
I would pledge 30$ for this idea, but i would love to get game too.
I think that Obsidian would agree for such solution.

Toma

How about putting a goal on 7k$ and use additional 2k$ for 100 game keys for GAFers?
I would pledge 30$ for this idea, but i would love to get a game too.
I think that Obsidian would agree for such solution.

Hm, I disagree. We shouldnt make this pledge aimed towards a big pool of games being given out. That just raises the expectation for people entering that they'll get a copy of the game and people will be undoubtedly disappointed.

I think the current setup is great, people only donate for the Inn and if something else is coming out of this, well great! But your idea would probably raise the "I could win a game"-expectation too high and people might not donate to the actual Kickstarter or would be disappointed. As Opiate said earlier, people should feel like this community undertaking was a downer in some way.

On the base premise, donators should try to think this way: We donate for the Inn, anything else is out of our hands for now.

volturnus

Banned
Every participating member is a stretch, but I'm sure they could take the physical goods out of the queue and put 50 digital copies instead of 10, for instance.

Top Bottom