• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Scorpio supports FreeSync and next-gen HDMI

Ploid 3.0

I know! I'm questioning the ability of the casuals to acknowledge and appreciate this feature. G-Sync/Freesync are awesome features and everybody should have it but I don't know if anybody else besides my gamer friends knows about them despite being on the market for such a long time.

They probably won't even know what it means, and play on 1080p on their 4k tv with HDR off if it doesn't select it automatically.

7Q8g7NX.jpg

jaypah

Saying this is a game changer is an overstatement and PR bait as VRR is already possible on current HDMI standards. PS4 Pro already has support for VRR as well as the only thing that is missing to enable it a TV that supports it.

How would PS4 having it make it any less of a game changer? If PS5 did ray tracing and Xbox2 came out later and also did ray tracing that wouldn't be a game changing feature? Instead of "game changing" I think you meant "bullet point that needs to be down played for strange reasons". Also if PS4Pro really does have VRR then that's awesome. More devices using it may mean quicker adoption by TV makers. Nothing about this feature needs to be spun downwards.

Saying this is a game changer is an overstatement and PR bait as VRR is already possible on current HDMI standards. PS4 Pro already has support for VRR as well as the only thing that is missing to enable it a TV that supports it.

Reciepts? I tried to google it but found complaints.

Sotha_Sil

I wonder...Would a 30fps feel better to play with freesync vs how we have it now on consoles?

Console games running at 30fps and lower would not benefit. The 45-60 range, absolutely. Most console games shoot for 30 though.... so not too many games would take advantage of it.

It's a bigger benefit for PC gamers. Holding a stable framerate was the name of the game until it came along. Now, I can play games with varying framerates and it all feels natural.

Case in point, I just booted up SOMA and Vanishing of Ethan Carter in the last few days. Both games are running at 100-130fps. For whatever reason, I'm not getting the freesync effect on SOMA (this is the only game this has happened to, I might add). The tearing really takes away from the visuals so I've locked it to 60fps. On VoEC, it's working properly and the game is silky smooth despite the 30fps variance.

MaulerX

Lol, What? Where's the proof? How come they never mentioned this? Or is this a Jeff_Rigby joke?

Glad I decided to hold of on my purchase for a 4k tv.

So I am basically looking for an OLED tv, with Free sync HDMI support. I am going to be waiting a while because I really dont want to spend anymore than $1000. It could be a few years.

Klocker

Glad I decided to hold of on my purchase for a 4k tv.

So I am basically looking for an OLED tv, with Free sync HDMI support. I am going to be waiting a while because I really dont want to spend anymore than $1000. It could be a few years.

I'm with you.. I'll go up to $1200-$1400 though with freesync so probably going to stay with my 1080p and supersampling on Scorpio for a year or so and then the next TV will be kick ass upgrade of that. Hope I don't have to wait two years

Ushay

I bought a KS7/8000 in November, so I am emotionally invested in the idea of my TV being excellent for years to come.

Saying that, with PS4 Pro and Scorpio, it seems like the mid-range console bump is (realstically) going to be about more stable frame rates more than 4K whizz-bang high-texture everything.

But surely with more stable framerates, the need for free/v-sync and similar technologies is lessened?

Isn't all this going to be more useful when the next console generation launches and presumably we'll have the same kind of discussion about FPS and resolution with new tech?

I'm 99% sure Scorpio will be able to support Ultra quality textures, thanks to the extra RAM in there.

I was not expecting this at all.

This is maybe the most exciting feature for a new console to me in the last decade. I hate tearing.
The fact that it works with back compat is icing.

I don't suppose that Tv's will ever get freesync? Glad I held off buying the Sony X8000D

I have an nvidia card and will probably get a Scorpio, so no idea what kind of monitor to buy now. Will there EVER be g-sync and freesync combined monitors?

farisr

Umm... no. Any device with the hardware to support this feature actually contains hardware within it that is above current HDMI standards. HDMI 2.0 (the current latest standard) does not support this, and it's not possible on it. There will be and are devices on the market that have HDMI 2.0 that will not be able to implement this feature via firmware upgrade due to them just meeting current standards rather than packing in hardware that perform much better than what the current standards require.

At this point in time, we have no idea whether the hardware components included in the PS4 Pro are the type that are eligible to enable this feature via firmware upgrade or not. There has been no indication it can as of yet, so yeah, like the others said. Receipts.
I don't suppose that Tv's will ever get freesync? Glad I held off buying the Sony
TVs will be getting it. When is the question. Some TVs that released in 2016 will be able to support this via firmware upgrade. But yeah, we have no idea which ones. It'll likely be a common feature in TVs in 2019 or so.

I bought a relatively cheaper but still decent quality TV with the intention of getting a much better one a few years down the line. I was really glad that I didn't end up going for an OLED that was 3 times as expensive after news of this feature coming to TVs soon came out. This current TV will fare just fine for the next few years. I'm expecting to buy a new one (that will have this feature at a decent size) probably around the time a PS5 Pro is coming out.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
the thread degraded...

Freesync is something that MS has and the competition doesn't. Even if its not used all that much, its a bullet point like 4KBR. Its not an unfair marketing tactic to show off what you have and your competition doesn't have.

Now i understand people want to argue that its not a particular 'hardware choice' as the HDMI standard was going to be updated to 2.1 by the time Scorpio came out by default and it was impossible for Sony to have 2.1 in the first place, but its still a product of MS waiting a year.

jaypah

the thread degraded...

Freesync is something that MS has and the competition doesn't. Even if its not used all that much, its a bullet point like 4KBR. Its not an unfair marketing tactic to show off what you have and your competition doesn't have.

Now i understand people want to argue that its not a particular 'hardware choice' as the HDMI standard was going to be updated to 2.1 by the time Scorpio came out by default and it was impossible for Sony to have 2.1 in the first place, but its still a product of MS waiting a year.

But Scorpio isn't full-spec 2.1, right? So what, besides Freesync, will they have of the 2.1 spec? I'm just trying to figure out if it's a matter of, "It was going to be a part of our console anyway" or "We would have gone with straight 2.0 but we wanted this particular feature".

Inuhanyou

But Scorpio isn't full-spec 2.1, right? So what, besides Freesync, will they have of the 2.1 spec? I'm just trying to figure out if it's a matter of, "It was going to be a part of our console anyway" or "We would have gone with straight 2.0 but we wanted this particular feature".

Its full spec 2.1, that's why they can include the feature. 2.1 was just introduced in january, but they can include that standard into their consoles by the end of the year.

Basically, it would have been in any console by the end of the year unless it was Nintendo and you live 5 or 10 years removed. That doesn't take away from the fact that MS didn't just sit on 2.0 and decided to include the latest HDMI ports and by default the technologies supported in that standard, so its still something they deserve some credit for.

Jumeira

Banned
Reciepts? This looks like another strange attempt to downplay, so common now in Scorpio threads

I JUST got my gsync monitor today. Sorta wish I got my original monitor of choice which supported freesync.

Sidenote, Microsoft is really leading the charge with console tech just like they did in the 360 era.

jaypah

Its full spec 2.1, that's why they can include the feature. 2.1 was just introduced in january, but they can include that standard into their consoles by the end of the year.

Basically, it would have been in any console by the end of the year unless it was Nintendo and you live 5 or 10 years removed. That doesn't take away from the fact that MS didn't just sit on 2.0 and decided to include the latest tech, so its still something they deserve some credit for.

So 4K120Hz? I understand that nothing besides Pac-Man would run at that but it seems like MS would have touted that if it were true. Plus I thought that Dark said it was 2.0, but I could be wrong about that last part.

Edit: Just caught your edit. That was my main point. If they could have gone with 2.0 and the only difference is Freesync then it's not a matter of, "They had no choice, that's the current spec" but instead a matter of them wanting to include it. But if it is indeed full 2.1 as you said then I see where you're coming from, provided it didn't cost any extra to go with 2.1 over 2.0.

graywolf323

that's actually pretty awesome

It'll be a few years probably before I get a TV that supports this though :-/ (which is fine, I just got the 55" KS8000 last fall so I wasn't planning to get a new TV again until ~2020)

Wonder if a TV that supports this will even be in the $1k price range before then

Inuhanyou

So 4K120Hz? I understand that nothing besides Pac-Man would run at that but it seems like MS would have touted that if it were true. Plus I thought that Dark said it 2.0, but I could be wrong about that last part.

Only the HDMI standard itself supports 4K120Hz as well as 8K, that doesnt mean anything is bothering to go there software wise.

Also 2.0 is a derivative of 2.1, even if it does not include the features 2.1 does

*EDIT*

So 4K120Hz? I understand that nothing besides Pac-Man would run at that but it seems like MS would have touted that if it were true. Plus I thought that Dark said it was 2.0, but I could be wrong about that last part.

Edit: Just caught your edit. That was my main point. If they could have gone with 2.0 and the only difference is Freesync then it's not a matter of, "They had no choice, that's the current spec" but instead a matter of them wanting to include it. But if it is indeed full 2.1 as you said then I see where you're coming from, provided it didn't cost any extra to go with 2.1 over 2.0.

I think its a little of both. It was going to be in the HDMI standard anyway, but they could have wanted to include it to have that element of showing their console as more future proofed.

Scorpio is sounding great. Now it's up to Microsoft's E3 whether I'll get this bad boy or not. If they are banking on better looking 3rd party games to sell the Scorpio then I'll just stick with my Ps4 pro till next-gen as all my trophies and friends are on playstation but if they bring the exclusives then i'll surely get one. More 4k content for my KS8000 is good for me.

Tenck

its so funny to all of a sudden see Xbox fanboys scream in joy and celebration for freesync. When possibly most of them did not even know what it was or cared for it 2 hours ago. Before any more celebration goes on people need to read the fine print in the article,

"to see the benefit, you'll need to have a PC monitor - a 4K one preferably, though 1080p screens will work - and it needs to support FreeSync over HDMI. This limits the amount of potential screens as it's more frequently run via DisplayPort, a video output that is not supported by Scorpio."

Its gonna be years before TV manufacturers implement this if ever. Plus there are very few 4k Monitors that do freesync tru HDMI since most do it thru displayport. Plus pc monitors as far as ive heard, do not do HDR. Everybody calm down.

I know you're banned but preferably 4K? Lol.

mantle and now freesync for consoles, AMD despite only having a tiny fraction of the market is doing bigger things then nvidia to help gamers

jaypah

Only the HDMI standard itself supports 4K120Hz as well as 8K, that doesnt mean anything is bothering to go there software wise.

Also 2.0 is a derivative of 2.1, even if it does not include the features 2.1 does

Well yeah, I figured my Pac-Man point made it clear that I didn't expect software to adhere to the maximum tolerance allowed by the standard. I'm not dumb nor crazy. My point was simply that hardware manufacturers like to boast theoretical limits when talking up their latest boxes and I figured MS would have liked to tick that one. They also talked about the 4K rated cable with the original XB1, doesn't mean it manifested in software. My curiosity stems from remembering Dark saying that it used 2.0 even though it supported Freesync. If my memory is wrong and it is indeed 2.1 then that's that. Otherwise they purposely sought Freesync capability. Which was my question from the start.

Edit: Caught your edit again, lol. No real need to respond to this post. You've responded to the gist of it earlier. We're kind of on the same page and whatever difference there is isn't going to be big enough to be worth the back and forth.

This is great! TV manufacturers need to get on the bandwagon.

Also, fuck you nVidia and your closed standards (and I have nVidia videocards).

Inuhanyou

Well yeah, I figured my Pac-Man point made it clear that I didn't expect software to adhere to the maximum tolerance allowed by the standard. I'm not dumb nor crazy. My point was simply that hardware manufacturers like to boast theoretical limits when talking up their latest boxes and I figured MS would have liked to tick that one. They also talked about the 4K rated cable with the original XB1, doesn't mean it manifested in software. My curiosity stems from remembering Dark saying that it used 2.0 even though it supported Freesync. If my memory is wrong and it is indeed 2.1 then that's that. Otherwise they purposely sought Freesync capability. Which was my question from the start.

Edit: Caught your edit again, lol. No real need to respond to this post. You've responded to the gist of it earlier. We're kind of on the same page and whatever difference there is isn't going to be big enough to be worth the back and forth.

I don't want to say John was wrong, but he might have misspoke there, as i have heard that it IS indeed 2.1 HDMI standard and not 2.0...if it was 2.0 we'd know that Pro could update its own firmware with these as its not a piecemeal featureset, but since we do not know that, MS HAS to have the full HDMI 2.1 standard in their machine

This is great! TV manufacturers need to get on the bandwagon.

Also, fuck you nVidia and your closed standards (and I have nVidia videocards).

How many people will Nvidia get to go out and buy Gsync monitors before this becomes standard? They are counting their money

TLZ

Banned
Console games running at 30fps and lower would not benefit. The 45-60 range, absolutely. Most console games shoot for 30 though.... so not too many games would take advantage of it.

At 30fps and lower it would still eliminate tearing and judder which is big for me, and should be for everyone else as well.

jaypah

I don't want to say John was wrong, but he might have misspoke there, as i have heard that it IS indeed 2.1 HDMI standard and not 2.0...if it was 2.0 we'd know that Pro could update its own firmware with these as its not a piecemeal featureset, but since we do not know that, MS HAS to have the full HDMI 2.1 standard in their machine

Oh, ok. If that's the case then I guess it really is just a free perk of waiting the extra year. Pretty cool what a year can do though. So the 2.1 spec standard is fully finalized and ready to go? Any idea on any consumer products using 2.1 that may beat Scorpio to release assuming a November release date?

scently

Oh, ok. If that's the case then I guess it really is just a free perk of waiting the extra year. Pretty cool what a year can do though. So the 2.1 spec standard is fully finalized and ready to go? Any idea on any consumer products using 2.1 that may beat Scorpio to release assuming a November release date?

The standard was finalised early this year so expect to see 2.1 devices towards the end of the year, with a majority announced around CES next year.

wasn't this already mentioned last week? IIRC one of the DF articles talked about the Freesync feature.

it was a big plus for me as I am considering replacing my led TV for a 4k one, so I guess I will have to wait a little longer than expected.

btw, I guess this will bring profits to AMD selling Freesync certs for tv manufacturers, right?

Hoo-doo

Banned
wasn't this already mentioned last week? IIRC one of the DF articles talked about the Freesync feature.

it was a big plus for me as I am considering replacing my led TV for a 4k one, so I guess I will have to wait a little longer than expected.

btw, I guess this will bring profits to AMD selling Freesync certs for tv manufacturers, right?

Freesync is open-source.

Need a PS5 with G-Sync support.

No need for Gsync support. Adaptive Sync is the standard that will win. It will improve as it already had. Nvidia already has their own offering as well on their Laptop lines that don't require a $200 FPGA board.

I mean if Nvidia wants to call it G-sync still after that, that's fine. But you're not going to see console developers add support for that, especially Sony who has no intention of putting $200 add-ons into their TV line etc.

Will TV manufacturers adopt it whole sale? Genuine question as I'm not sure what's involved in the new 2.1 spec. Is this purely a software change or do you need a new chipset running the HDMI port?

The feature is fairly "niche" in that the vast amount of use of TV's is well...tv, films etc.

If it's a default aspect of 2.1, then presumably manufacturers will default to including 2.1 in their general"keep up with the technological race".

In "cross over" years we've seen sets where only 1 hdmi port is 2.0 compatible, or only one port is HDR compatible. Is the same thing likely here? I suspect so but don't know much about 2.1...

Inuhanyou

Now I'm even more interested. I can't believe how half-baked the PS4 Pro is compared to Scorpio.

People keep saying so, but it doesn't make it more true. In terms of hardware features specifically the Pro is what you get from a 2016 machine. 4K BR aside, which is already in XB1S, HDMI 2.1 was only announced in January 2017 so it makes no sense to expect Sony to have that.

Fredrik

Now I'm even more interested. I can't believe how half-baked the PS4 Pro is compared to Scorpio.
It released at year later, it was obvious from day one that Scorpio would do more.

Think about Xbox 360 vs PS3, was 360 half-baked or did it just release a year earlier?

Same thing will happen again no matter who goes first with next generation.
Sony sits on a huge user base but I still think they'll be the one who's eventually forced to start the next generation, Scorpio seems to do so much more which could pay off later on to help it stay okay a bit longer.

00ich

Cool, then it shouldn't raise TV prices much.

Will HDMI FreeSync stop at 60hz or will there gaming TVs with higher refresh rates?
FreeSync Monitors go as high as 144hz.
Also there may be costs hidden in non-standard components, like the backlight or overdrive.

00ich

Think about Xbox 360 vs PS3, was 360 half-baked or did it just release a year earlier?

At the end of the generation, my first run Xbox360 was pain to hook up to anything without HDMI. PS3 games looked consistently better on my projector because the component Signal didn't hold a candle against HDMI in picture quality. Also Blu-Ray.

Top Bottom