• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Protests happening in Minneapolis and Baton Rouge right now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. X

You're dismissing the fact the protestors deliberately blocked an emergency vehicle.

Nature of emergencies is that they are emergent. You can't predict who will make it to what hospital and who will die in traffic.

Is whitesplaining a thing yet?

ezrarh

And I've addressed this before. If it's not protesters, it's a car pile up or nature taking its toll. There's always back up plans for these situations, and if it's dire, there's medical helicopters to transport people to Boston.

I've said this before but if your city emergency services are inoperative because of a few protests then time reevaluate your infrastructure. Maybe putting a few more highways through black neighborhoods will do it.

Slayven

how do people function when roads are shut down for constuction or parades? Are there dead bodies in the streets because ambulances can't make it to them? Is there rampant unemployment because people are fired for not showing up?

Johnny

They had it coming. I mean, sure, there's a huge institutionalized racism problem in American Law Enforcement which targets black people far more than whites and actively ends up killing those blacks over nothing, sometimes even for following their instructions, but they had it coming because cops risk their lives or some other nonsense.

Oh, you're one of those people.
I'm one of those people who bother looking over actual crime statistics, yes.

BLM isn't an organization like the KKK. They're a movement and you're gonna get varying degree of supporters but the vast majority are peaceful protestors. Sure some are angry, but when your people are killed casually, you'd be angry too.
Blacks are killed no more casually than any other racial group. The FBI has extensive data on the matter.

Ah a closet racist.

Never mind.
I'm sure everything's racist in your world.

are you suggesting blacks are more prone to criminality than whites?
Not in the sense you're likely implying. Blacks are more criminal in a practical sense, crime statistics make this clear. I don't believe the Black race is inherently more violent though.

Johnny's one of those people that gets really mad over a few of his people dying, but he doesn't understand why anyone else would get really mad about so many more of those other people dying, or why saying this out loud makes him literally racist for seeing certain people as having lesser value to the world.
Keep calling people racist, maybe you'll find someone who truly matches your straw man one day.

These black losers should stop being criminals and then maybe they would be worth letting live
Everyone deserves to live their loser life, regardless of race, until they pull a gun on a cop. Correct.

BLM is a movement, not an organization. Yes, some (very, very, few) black people have shouted for the deaths of cops.

Some (very, very, few) white people and cops have shouted for the deaths of black people. Would you like to see multiple links of cops on Facebook, twitter, and other news sources saying they would shoot more black people if they could? Because they are out there. But guess what? I don't apply that to most cops. I actually believe that most cops don't want to kill anyone and they are trying their best.

You are highlighting the minority extreme of one group and ignoring the minority extreme of the other.

BLM as a movement is about the systemic problem of racism that is embedded in our systems economically and judicially. These problems are not invalidated by an individual shouting something.
I'm not going to defend racists on the other side of the argument. BLM is still pushing a false victim narrative though. The problems in the Black community aren't to do with racist cops or judges, the data doesn't support that argument.

hmm, seems you don't post much but when you do, it seems to be revolved around the same thing:

Further pushing back against the notion the industry is white male dominated:

On the issue of gender equality in games:

You seem to get riled up when people bring up equality or possible injustices. You have a reflexive disregard and strong distaste for it.
Black supremacy isn't justice.

'Please leave me alone with my comfortable life and don't annoy me with your problems'

Of course he thinks BLM incites violence because his life was violence free before this, not knowing in what kind of reality other people are living every day
God forbid someone want to live a comfortable life. Isn't that what BLM is supposedly fighting for, because the movement seems to be more focused on making everyone else's lives more difficult for specious reasons.

Ah the old "blacks are more likely to be criminal bs" that ignores racial profiling, the school to prison pipeline, stop and frisk and broken windows initiatives, and actual police training toward racial bias. But yeah fuck my whole race I guess. I hope people are paying attention because it's people like you that civil rights movements of all swaths are up against alot.
Have you ever considered that maybe, just maybe, that Black people have some level of agency? That Black folk aren't helpless victims being preyed upon by a racist system that's seemingly gotten way more racist in the last 60 years, if one is to look at the problems in Black communities today.

This guy's great.
Thanks.

Well we are just a bunch of losers so what do we know?
You don't necessarily have to be a loser, you could simply be naive.

I've been reading this thread... Johnny, I am disturbed at the implication you made about black people being more prone to violence.
You should be disturbed. Black communities are falling apart and people are pointing fingers at the people trying to help them.

Plumbob

Is whitesplaining a thing yet?

Listen, I am on board with Black Lives Matter, just not impeding traffic.

And I've addressed this before. If it's not protesters, it's a car pile up or nature taking its toll. There's always back up plans for these situations, and if it's dire, there's medical helicopters to transport people to Boston.

I have to respectfully disagree. Emergency resources aren't infinite.

how do people function when roads are shut down for constuction or parades? Are there dead bodies in the streets because ambulances can't make it to them? Is there rampant unemployment because people are fired for not showing up?

You go around them. Find other routes.

But this argument always comes up for protests...hmmm...I wonder why...

Blacks are killed no more casually than any other racial group. The FBI has extensive data on the matter.

Not in the sense you're likely implying. Blacks are more criminal in a practical sense, crime statistics make this clear. I don't believe the Black race is inherently more violent though.

Keep calling people racist, maybe you'll find someone who truly matches your straw man one day.

Everyone deserves to live their loser life, regardless of race, until they pull a gun on a cop. Correct.

I'm not going to defend racists on the other side of the argument. BLM is still pushing a false victim narrative though. The problems in the Black community aren't to do with racist cops or judges, the data doesn't support that argument.

God forbid someone want to live a comfortable life. Isn't that what BLM is supposedly fighting for, because the movement seems to be more focused on making everyone else's lives more difficult for specious reasons.

Have you ever considered that maybe, just maybe, that Black people have some level of agency? That Black folk aren't helpless victims being preyed upon by a racist system that's seemingly gotten way more racist in the last 60 years, if one is to look at the problems in Black communities today.

Thanks.

You should be disturbed. Black communities are falling apart and people are pointing fingers at the people trying to help them.

I like how you constantly make assertions without providing any sources.

Read my earlier post in this thread for your own sake.

Edit: In case you are too caught up in hating black people to find my earlier post, here it is for you:

Johnny, your lack of subtlety tells me that you don't even care about the facts (especially since you'll say shit like "the stats say otherwise" then fail to provide any source), you just want and excuse to hate the movement and wish it away.

Well get the fuck over your annoyance with BLM, because now we have seen even moderate republicans call it a peaceful movement, meaning the only people who think it's a hate group are crazy conservative dipshits like yourself.

Guess what, Johnny, most of your group of dipshits is old baby boomers who will be dead in 10-20 years while the younger generations, while still heavily flawed, has a much higher prevalence of people that are willing acknowledge the racial issues with police. Or to put it more bluntly: Your dipshit bigotry is literally dying off.

So you have a choice in the years ahead:

- learn to be more accepting of other groups and willing to actually acknowledge racial issues

- keep getting angry at other groups for having the audacity to demand they stop being unjustly killed

In the end it's your choice to make, but for your own sake I suggest you get with the fucking times, especially because the kind of anger associated with anti-BLM sentiment is most likely bad for your health (since we all know how stress is bad for health).

Ms.Galaxy

I have to respectfully disagree. Emergency resources aren't infinite.

They're not infinite, but they do exist. Do you honestly think that emergency services don't have a backup plan in case of situations like this? I lived in Massachusetts for 15 years to the point that I know how frequently traffic issues happen.

Jonm1010

Banned

Do you get all riled up during St. Patrick's Day parades and when roads get shut down for maintenance?

Seriously, you are being ridiculous. Go look at a map of the protests in Baton Rouge. If you are getting stuck in traffic because of it, you have failed, no one else. lol.

Mr. X

If you're on board, show us the better way.
Make BLM better.

Free Speech Zone

F7RMzze.jpg

The problems in the Black community aren't to do with racist cops or judges, the data doesn't support that argument.

Holy fucking shit. You're serious aren't you. There are extensive studies that show that through every part of the judicial process, blacks receive unfair treatment and are subject to immense bias. What data are you looking at? And "adjusted for crime" is not a valid statistic given the data shows they are inherently targeted and the victims of broken window policing that that preys on people who do not have the resources to fight bullshit charges.

Daft Punk

Banned
Johnny's not racist guys. He just has a predisposition for disliking those of African-American ethnicity. It's not his fault he's so privileged!

Plumbob

Do you get all riled up during St. Patrick's Day parades and when roads get shut down for maintenance?

Seriously, you are being ridiculous. Go look at a map of the protests in Baton Rouge. If you are getting stuck in traffic because of it, you have failed, no one else. lol.

I'm not sure I've had to deal with the St. Patrick's days you have but I'm okay with parades if they're planning with the city ahead of time.

Ms.Galaxy

Thanks.

Is this your statistics?

trump_h6qrar.jpg

Have you ever considered that centuries of oppression didn't end with a simple treaty and agreement to leave black people to their own devices and all racism died in an instant. Black people have agency which is why they're stepping out to try and change things. And racists have agency and have worked hard to stack the deck against minorities of all swaths. You've read the DOJ report on Ferguson right and how the entire judicial system worked to squeeze their minority population for money? You've heard about desegregation attempts and how white families move away from minorities plunging inner city facilities into deficits with politicians rerouting money specifically to build up white neighborhoods rather than support education or jobs for the people left in the lurch? You've seen the information about how police view black children as older than they actually are, leading to early criminalization? You know about the existence of for-profit prisons that feed on the minority populations to fill their walls to bursting? You've heard of the Innocence Project which has yet to run out of cases where minorties were wrongfully imprisoned, leading to the oh so funny single parent jokes that black people often have to deal with? You've seen the sentencing disparities between minorties and white people when it comes to convicting for the exact same crime? You've seen the studies of buisiness recruiters being biased toward choosing resumes with "normal" names and not ethnic ones? You've seen that the KKK isn't a dead organization and is still alive and well in many sections of our society? You've heard of the Southern Strategy correct? The entire movement to gain political support by preying people's racist fears of African Americans? I could go on but racism didn't end with MLK's death. It's still alive and well and the black people you see every day have had to work twice as hard to get to where they are today because of how pervasive and insidious institutionalized racism is within the modern day

I'm not sure I've had to deal with the St. Patrick's days you have but I'm okay with parades if they're planning with the city ahead of time.

See their is a problem with things like planning with the city ahead of time lets take Ferguson where black lives matter was born out of. Do you really think if the citizens in that town planned ahead the leaders of the town would have been ok with it?

Biolink

BRPD is fuck awful.

This is the same department that got in a lot of trouble a year ago using a sodomy law that was deemed illegal years prior by the courts to set up stings to target and arrest gay people.

Please tell me you're making this up. All kinds of shit happening out here and they are worried about gay people?!

Is this your statistics?

trump_h6qrar.jpg

That would imply he even has sources, which based on his posts, doesn't seem to be the case.

Have you ever considered that centuries of oppression didn't end with a simple treaty and agreement to leave black people to their own devices and all racism died in an instant. Black people have agency which is why they're stepping out to try and change things. And racists have agency and have worked hard to stack the deck against minorities of all swaths. You've read the DOJ report on Ferguson right and how the entire judicial system worked to squeeze their minority population for money? You've heard about desegregation attempts and how white families move away from minorities plunging inner city facilities into deficits with politicians rerouting money specifically to build up white neighborhoods rather than support education or jobs for the people left in the lurch? You've seen the information about how police view black children as older than they actually are, leading to early criminalization? You know about the existence of for-profit prisons that feed on the minority populations to fill their walls to bursting? You've heard of the Innocence Project which has yet to run out of cases where minorties were wrongfully imprisoned, leading to the oh so funny single parent jokes that black people often have to deal with? You've seen the sentencing disparities between minorties and white people when it comes to convicting for the exact same crime? You've seen the studies of buisiness recruiters being biased toward choosing resumes with "normal" names and not ethnic ones? You've seen that the KKK isn't a dead organization and is still alive and well in many sections of our society? You've heard of the Southern Strategy correct? The entire movement to gain political support by preying people's racist fears of African Americans? I could go on but racism didn't end with MLK's death. It's still alive and well and the black people you see every day have had to work twice as hard to get to where they are today because of how pervasive and insidious institutionalized racism is within the modern day

Why are you wasting your energy trying to change his opinion with actual facts on racism? He doesn't need to be reasoned with. He simply needs to have it explained to him that for HIS SAKE he better learn to get with the times.

I'm on board with this.

It has leaders, a crystal clear message and there's literally a topic about the strategy already. If you were anyway involved in the movement, this would all be clear.

Why are you wasting your energy trying to change his opinion with actual facts on racism? He doesn't need to be reasoned with. He simply needs to have it explained to him that for HIS SAKE he better learn to get with the times.

It's a bit of a waste but it's not for just him. It's for anyone else browsing who thinks minorities are just perpetual victims. We have the receipts for being perpetually put upon so if someone out there seeks to slide on "black people are just criminals who need to do better on this 100% level playing field we have now that the civil war is over" there's a mountain of evidence that the US hasn't done right by us in a long time.

The highway near me has been closed all weekend for construction work, and let me tell you: it's terrible. No one's able to get medical treatment, and everyone's lost their jobs. It's chaos here.

Shame that no one's been able to figure out alternate routes, yet.

That's a good point. I made the mistake of trying to drive through an Irish neighborhood (in the US) on St. Patrick's Day, down a street with a lot of bars and "Irish pubs", and there were a lot of drunk people standing in the street. It was very difficult to drive, and yet there were no police, and I heard of no one making a fuss about traffic being affected. Curious.

I would have to be on board with whatever was being planned as well.

In that case, saying that you agree with a general suggestion of strong leadership does nothing to answer Liu Kang's question. Specifically, what would you have the protestors do that would gain the attention that they want without inconveniencing people? What would get you on board that wouldn't render the movement useless?

Community violence did not make it any more or less likely for police to kill people

Study: Fewer black civilians are killed by police in cities with more black officers

And
The results provide evidence of a significant bias in the killing of unarmed black Americans relative to unarmed white Americans, in that the probability of being {black, unarmed, and shot by police} is about 3.49 times the probability of being {white, unarmed, and shot by police} on average. Furthermore, the results of multi-level modeling show that there exists significant heterogeneity across counties in the extent of racial bias in police shootings, with some counties showing relative risk ratios of 20 to 1 or more. Finally, analysis of police shooting data as a function of county-level predictors suggests that racial bias in police shootings is most likely to emerge in police departments in larger metropolitan counties with low median incomes and a sizable portion of black residents, especially when there is high financial inequality in that county. There is no relationship between county-level racial bias in police shootings and crime rates (even race-specific crime rates), meaning that the racial bias observed in police shootings in this data set is not explainable as a response to local-level crime rates.

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0141854

Either refute all these, or miss us with that bullshit, Johnny.

Plumbob

In that case, saying that you agree with a general suggestion of strong leadership does nothing to answer Liu Kang's question. Specifically, what would you have the protestors do that would gain the attention that they want without inconveniencing people? What would get you on board that wouldn't render the movement useless?

You can get people's attention (even inconvenience people!) without endangering lives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom