• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita PCH-2000 | Light and Slim. 6 Colors. No More OLED, Instead Cute Penguins

hongcha

Engadget said in their review, they got 8hrs from half brightness playing PS1/PSP games. If this is true, I am very inclined to buying a Vita2.0 once it arrives in my country's stores.

They said they got 12 hours from ps1/psp games. 8 hrs from vita games and other stuff.

Saad

So is there a cheaper way to get it than eBay? I've listed my 360 for sale and will use the money to get a Vita, and I don't see a reason to get the 1000 model.

Edit: Tried Amazon Japan and it says it cannot be shipped to the US.

entremet

edit: If you have more things you want video of just let me know.

Played a few more hours last night before bed. Played some Hotline Miami, Uncharted, Lumines, Resident Evil 2, Spelunky, and EDF 2017. Since people are still asking here are some bullet points on the PS Vita PCH-2000:

• Speakers are louder by about 25% (as shown in 4th video)
  • Headphone output is louder/more powerful by 25%
  • The screen looks much better in person than on a camera
  • Colors are still very vibrant (see video 4)
  • It fits well in old cases since it has the same width
  • Wifi seems better and FASTER (see video 4)
  • 64GB card isn't faster
  • The new cases for the Vita kind of suck. (Video 1 and 3)
  • Brightness is more than bright enough
  • I have no problem retiring my OLED
  • Overall it is a beautiful console with a lot of improvements. I will not be missing the OLED.

Here are the other 3 unboxing and hands on videos I did if you missed them:

Unboxing and Hands on 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72AZBxSgVkQ

Unboxing the Light Blue Vita 2000: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaYnIe-lYr0

More indepth look at the PS Vita 2000 after I transferred content to the 64GB card: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZXV4jaeKYY

After spending some time with the Vita 2000, some more thoughts on headphone output power, speakers, FASTER WIFI?, how PSP/PS1 games look, screen brightness, long play sessions, and more: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fg0L5BvYC10

Thanks for the impressions. I've been looking to get on the Vita train. <3 portables, but I'll wait for this revised version.

Shancake

Picked mine up in Japan. Man i'm so bummed. Everything about the device itself is 5x better than the original. That screen is horrible though... WHY!

pixelbox

The colours are dull and the blacks are bad. Its only horrible coming from that OLED. Would've been the perfect device had they included the OLED!

You might want to hold off on judging off screen, LCD's are notorious for filming bad. They tend to look washed out, lose detail, and depending on the camera adopt the temperature calibration of the camera. My guess would be because the backlight needs to bleed through the liquid crystal panel which diminishes the light's brightness.

OLED's sub pixels are direct lights which will show much better on camera and eyes for that matter. The downside to OLED technology at least with the VITA is the dimmer the pixels get, the greener they'll become which is because of the UV filter. The light source, which are the pixels, are much closer to the surface doesn’t fall prey to dimming as much.

The point is you need to see it in person to get a more accurate demonstration. Of course it won’t have the blacks or contrast of the OLED but it’s not anywhere close to the hyperbole on this site. And as for the “green tint” on the LCD, OLED has a blue tint which will yellow over time. Both screen have been tuned at a certain temperature depending on the tech. Keep in mind the Sony is after a more “natural” look this time around.

Shancake

You might want to hold off on judging off screen, LCD's are notorious for filming bad. They tend to look washed out, lose detail, and depending on the camera adopt the temperature calibration of the camera. My guess would be because the backlight needs to bleed through the liquid crystal panel which diminishes the light's brightness.

OLED's sub pixels are direct lights which will show much better on camera and eyes for that matter. The downside to OLED technology at least with the VITA is the dimmer the pixels get, the greener they'll become which is because of the UV filter. The light source, which are the pixels, are much closer to the surface doesn’t fall prey to dimming as much.

The point is you need to see it in person to get a more accurate demonstration. Of course it won’t have the blacks or contrast of the OLED but it’s not anywhere close to the hyperbole on this site. And as for the “green tint” on the LCD, OLED has a blue tint which will yellow over time. Both screen have been tuned at a certain temperature depending on the tech. Keep in mind the Sony is after a more “natural” look this time around.
I have both infront of me and my eyes aren't mistaking me. The 2000 definitely looks completely washed out.

It's such a shame because everything else about the device is perfect.

hongcha

Right, so for vita2000 owners, true or not? Honestly, sounds too good to be true.

I played a few different Vita games for about 5 hours (including over 3 hours of Dragon`s Crown), some PSP and PS1 games for 2 hours or so, and got over 7 hours on a full charge (with wifi on, brightness around 80%). I actually could have played a bit longer, that just put my battery at the 25% point. That is well over double what I got on the 1000 if I was lucky.

hongcha

That's a shame. Will wait for the 3000. Hope it's an improvement!

Here is Dragon`s Crown on my 2000, brightness around 80%:

V0YntBF.jpg

Slight reflection on the bottom center (sorry, I am not a good photographer).

The colours are a bit richer in person. I think it looks beautiful, but if this is not to your taste, then by all means wait 2 or more years for a hypothetical 3000 to arrive.

I played a few different Vita games for about 5 hours (including over 3 hours of Dragon`s Crown), some PSP and PS1 games for 2 hours or so, and got over 7 hours on a full charge (with wifi on, brightness around 80%). I actually could have played a bit longer, that just put my battery at the 25% point. That is well over double what I got on the 1000 if I was lucky.

Thank you! I really didnt like this vita2.0 but with longer battery life with both PSP/PS1 games AND vita games, im very VERY close to buying it now, even with the downgrade of a screen. My current vita last around 4hours or so with low brightness so this is very good to hear.

Shancake

Here is Dragon`s Crown on my 2000, brightness around 80%:

V0YntBF.jpg

Slight reflection on the bottom center (sorry, I am not a good photographer).

The colours are a bit richer in person. I think it looks beautiful, but if this is not to your taste, then by all means wait 2 or more years for a hypothetical 3000 to arrive.
Just curious did you own an original vita? I'm not saying the new one is horrible. It doesn't hold a candle to the original Vita though. That's to be expected though because the original vita is the best screen I've ever seen.

hongcha

Just curious did you own an original vita? I'm not saying the new one is horrible. It doesn't hold a candle to the original Vita though. That's to be expected though because the original vita is the best screen I've ever seen.

Yes, I did own a 1000 for over a year (I mention that here). I sold it the other day after using my 2000 for a week and I am very happy with that decision. I think the LCD is great (it is far better than the 3DS XL's screen) and I do not miss the oversaturated colours and mura effect of the 1000. I realise quite a few people really like the look of the OLED and do not want to switch to an LCD. That's cool, thankfully both models are available so everyone should be happy. :)

Kysen

Mine arrived yesterday, seeing both models side by side and I still prefer the OLED. But everything else on the new one is so much better I've retired my 1000 anyway.

Piccoro

Hey, guys! Finally convinced my wife to let me buy a Vita. :p

I'm going for the OLED one, I really don't have the patience to wait for the 2000 to arrive here in Europe...

Heysoos

For those who own both the first Vita and second, how are the sticks on the second? I don't know what it is about og Vita but I really can't stand the sticks.

jerry1594

How does the screen compare to the original? I want to get the original for OLED but the ditching of the proprietary memory card makes this new one more tempting.

Shancake

Yes, I did own a 1000 for over a year (I mention that here). I sold it the other day after using my 2000 for a week and I am very happy with that decision. I think the LCD is great (it is far better than the 3DS XL's screen) and I do not miss the oversaturated colours and mura effect of the 1000. I realise quite a few people really like the look of the OLED and do not want to switch to an LCD. That's cool, thankfully both models are available so everyone should be happy. :)

I'm interested to see if you're having some of the issues I am. Does your wifi randomly disconnect and give an error? The only way i can fix it is by deleting and re adding the wifi network. Never happened a single time on my OG Vita yet happened 3-4 times in a single week on my 2000.

I'm so torn about what device to keep. I'm with you all the way on the fact that Vita 2000 in form factor is better in every way. Everything feels more comfortable.

I just hate knowing that I have an inferior screen. It's not horrible but it's still pretty inferior :(

hongcha

Does your wifi randomly disconnect and give an error? The only way i can fix it is by deleting and re adding the wifi network. Never happened a single time on my OG Vita yet happened 3-4 times in a single week on my 2000.

It hasn't happened to me once on my 2000. Never happened on my 1000 either.

I just hate knowing that I have an inferior screen. It's not horrible but it's still pretty inferior :(

Sounds like you want to keep the 1000. A particularly good decision if your wifi is defective on the 2000. Can you send back the 2000?

For those who own both the first Vita and second, how are the sticks on the second? I don't know what it is about og Vita but I really can't stand the sticks.

They feel about the same to me. I initially thought the 2000's sticks were tighter, but the more I use them, the more they feel like the 1000's sticks. It's fine for me though.

Shancake

It hasn't happened to me once on my 2000. Never happened on my 1000 either.

Sounds like you want to keep the 1000. A particularly good decision if your wifi is defective on the 2000. Can you send back the 2000?

They feel about the same to me. I initially thought the 2000's sticks were tighter, but the more I use them, the more they feel like the 1000's sticks. It's fine for me though.

It's weird... I purchased the 2000 whilst in Japan. Probably should've tested it whilst I was there.. It was a common issue for the OG Vita as well based on googling the error code.

I think i've actually decided to keep my new Vita and sell the original. I actually love the for factor and think it's pretty much more enjoyable to play on. This pretty much beats the screen difference as I find the OG Vita awkward to hold after playing the 2000.

I feel like the Yellow tint could disappear. Whenever i get a new iPad it takes a few weeks for glue to settle.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
It's weird... I purchased the 2000 whilst in Japan. Probably should've tested it whilst I was there.. It was a common issue for the OG Vita as well based on googling the error code.

I think i've actually decided to keep my new Vita and sell the original. I actually love the for factor and think it's pretty much more enjoyable to play on. This pretty much beats the screen difference as I find the OG Vita awkward to hold after playing the 2000.

I feel like the Yellow tint could disappear. Whenever i get a new iPad it takes a few weeks for glue to settle.

I still have the yellow tint on my 3DS XL.

Shancake

Decided to sell my Vita 2000 and keep my original. Whilst the 2000 feels nicer to hold and start/select button are way better, the screen flat out sucks.

I love an over saturated screen so the original is literally perfect for me. The 2000 just looks washed out and overly yellow.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
To all Vita2.0 owners, how is the battery life compared to the OG vita? Engadget said in their review, they got 8hrs from half brightness playing PS1/PSP games. If this is true, I am very inclined to buying a Vita2.0 once it arrives in my country's stores.

I am not inclined to buy a Vita-2000, I will be buying a Vita 2000.

Thinness, battery life and reliability trumps everything else.

I've held off on buying a Vita for some time, but I'm on the verge of pulling the trigger.

The new model will probably win my dollars for the simple fact that there will be no OLED burn-in...such a thing would drive me insane with my OCD personality (pertaining to electronics).

netBuff

Is there any indication on when these new models will be available outside of Japan (in Europe, specifically)? I'm close to importing one from Japan, am I better off waiting a bit or is there pretty much no chance of them being available globally within the next two months?

Novocaine

Is there any indication on when these new models will be available outside of Japan (in Europe, specifically)? I'm close to importing one from Japan, am I better off waiting a bit or is there pretty much no chance of them being available globally within the next two months?

We probably would have heard an announcement if we were going to get it in that amount of time. You would be better off importing I would imagine.

netBuff

I don't know what to do...2000 or original :S

Guess I'm importing, then. Pretty excited to get my unit, by this point in time there really are plenty of great games available for Vita. And there are even more to come: Tearaway in particular seems pretty interesting, and Borderlands 2 could make a cool handheld game.

Yasumi

Banned
Guess I'm importing, then. Pretty excited to get my unit, by this point in time there really are plenty of great games available for Vita. And there are even more to come: Tearaway in particular seems pretty interesting, and Borderlands 2 could make a cool handheld game.

Amiami should hopefully be getting the new Toro bundles up for preorder soon-ish. ~$220 for a Vita and 16GB memory card. You also get a code for the PS1 Toro game, if you use Japanese PSN. It comes out December 9th.

Amiami's usually best if you preorder, since places like play-asia are charging $240+ for the standalone system. AA just doesn't restock very often after the initial preorder period.

Vita TV. Then you can use any screen you want :p.

In seriousness go OLED. Every comparison I've read says it is better.

The OLED screen itself is better (besides oversaturation of black and the mura), but I like everything else about the 2000 better and after a couple of weeks with the 2000, I'd say that I certainly prefer it. Battery life, size, and weight, as well as the slightly better feel of the buttons (and L and R triggers) win out for me.

No issues with the LCD screen whatsoever.

I have had my 2000s for almost a month now and it is a better device than the 1000s.

Feels better to hold, lighter, clearer/louder speakers, more powerful mic output, better buttons and shoulder buttons, significant increase in battery length, super slick looking.

The OLED is gone, but I don't miss it at all. The LCD is fantastic. Love playing games on it.

hongcha

In seriousness go OLED. Every comparison I've read says it is better.

This is poor advice as you're not just buying a screen, you're buying a complete portable console and you should really consider every aspect of the new model compared to the old one when making that decision.

Vita TV + the 2000 will be a great combo for those who want to experience Vita games on a high quality large screen HD display at home, then play the same games on the go on the very comfortable 2000, with its light weight, thinness, improved form factor, extended battery life and other notable enhancements over the OG model.

netBuff

Amiami should hopefully be getting the new Toro bundles up for preorder soon-ish. ~$220 for a Vita and 16GB memory card. You also get a code for the PS1 Toro game, if you use Japanese PSN. It comes out December 9th.

Amiami's usually best if you preorder, since places like play-asia are charging $240+ for the standalone system. AA just doesn't restock very often after the initial preorder period.

Thanks for the recommendation, I was thinking of going with play-asia - the toro bundle seems like a good deal, it's coming out on December 5. Guess I'll have to wait a little bit longer for that sweet Vita - or I'll pay the premium for getting it right now.

I have had my 2000s for almost a month now and it is a better device than the 1000s.

Feels better to hold, lighter, clearer/louder speakers, more powerful mic output, better buttons and shoulder buttons, significant increase in battery length, super slick looking.

The OLED is gone, but I don't miss it at all. The LCD is fantastic. Love playing games on it.

That's a ringing endorsement. The less bultky the better, and I like what I hear about battery life. Definitely interested in a 2000.

Top Bottom