• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita PCH-2000 | Light and Slim. 6 Colors. No More OLED, Instead Cute Penguins

I've had mine for a while now and I absolutely love it. Apart from the LCD screen, it is better than the 1000 in every way.

All of the buttons are more satisfying to press. The new casing feels more comfortable to hold, especially with the more rounded edges. Never had a PSP3000, so I can't compare. The touch screen is as responsive as before, but the colors just can't compete with the 1000's OLED screen. I'm really missing that OLED! The only other complaint I have (and a very minor one at that) is that the rear touch pad feels a bit too small now. But that's mostly because I've gotten used to the old version.

Does the front screen feel like the same "casing" as the 1000 model, or is it the same you think, the old PSPs had a plasticky I never cared for, the 1000 vita feels a step up I. That regard and was wondering how the 2k stacked?

Selvaria

Does the front screen feel like the same "casing" as the 1000 model, or is it the same you think, the old PSPs had a plasticky I never cared for, the 1000 vita feels a step up I. That regard and was wondering how the 2k stacked?

Sorry for the slow reply and for bumping this thread again.

The screen isn't built seamlessly into the front of the unit. I can't really comment on the feel of it, since I applied a screen protector over the area as soon as I got my Vita. Personally, I don't think that aspect of it looks too great aesthetically, but I don't mind it at all.

Hasney

Well this is alarming. My vita won't come out of sleep mode. Holding down the power button doesn't do anything, the green indicator is on but the screen won't turn on. Guess I'll have to let the battery run down, however long that will take. In the event that something is seriously wrong with it, I dont suppose SoA will be able to perform repairs. :'P

Regarding stuck pixels, I haven't heard any reports of it. My screen was dead pixel free, I'm sure it happens but pretty rarely?

I had this happen to my (original) Vita. I let the battery drain, charged up again and never saw it happen again.

When this happened to me on the 1000, I had to hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Those seconds feel like forever.

Sorry for the slow reply and for bumping this thread again.

The screen isn't built seamlessly into the front of the unit. I can't really comment on the feel of it, since I applied a screen protector over the area as soon as I got my Vita. Personally, I don't think that aspect of it looks too great aesthetically, but I don't mind it at all.

I am still debating on picking an import up, or waiting maybe for a US release.

Even if I did wait there is no guarantee on color selection either. I just want the 2000 for remote when Ground Zeroes for PS4!

What coloring did you go for, and do you live in the US (sorry for being forward) and how much of a pain/turnaround and cost (sorry for all the questions)?

whynotboth.gif

I want a Vita 2000 for my daily so that I can save the OLED for when I need dat contrast.

This! The new ones look sexy. I always thought the original vita looked awkward but that OLED is just beautiful. I think owning both would be a good compromise. Lol

Thinking of importing the V2K since there's STILL no news on a western release.

Few questions:

- is there an english language option?
- if yes, are o and x reversed for system confirmations and cancellations even if you choose english like japanese ps3's do?
- can I use a uk vita power adaptor with it?
- anything else I should know?

cheers

Lhadatt

Thinking of importing the V2K since there's STILL no news on a western release.

Few questions:

- is there an english language option?
Yes, I believe all languages are built into all Vitas in all regions.

- if yes, are o and x reversed for system confirmations and cancellations even if you choose english like japanese ps3's do?
Yes, X and O are swapped for system stuff. This is built into the firmware. Some games defer to the system for X/O handling, and other games define X/O handling by the region they're sold in.

- can I use a uk vita power adaptor with it?
I don't have a 1000 Vita, so I don't know for sure -- but it looks like the charger has a USB output port. If that's the case for the UK Vita, then yes, you can charge using the original adapter, but you need a micro-USB cable to fit the 2000.

The new adapter also outputs to a USB port, and the 2000 Vita uses a micro-USB input port. So, regular USB on the charge output port, and micro-USB on the Vita input port. You can also use any phone charger that puts out enough amperage (1.5A, and I think the Japanese charger outputs 2A).

- anything else I should know?
- Aside from the X/O swap, there are no real operational differences between western and Japanese Vitas.
- A Japanese Vita should be able to login to a UK PSN account.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The X/O swap can be frustrating. I originally used my American Vita with my Japanese PSN account, and some games would at times use the system default (X to confirm), but at other times use software programmed buttons (O to confirm). This caused some incorrect input issues in many games.

I now have the new model and use it for my Japanese PSN account, and use my old American Vita for my US PSN account. It all works beautifully now!

I never had input trouble on my jp ps3(I know there were at least one or two games where you could get stuck though), but it was rather annoying for saving games as I'd always end up canceling the save by mistake.

Just placed my order for a light blue one from Nippon-Yasan, can't wait to get it along with P4G. Anyone have recommendations on where to buy a memory card? What size should I get?

Lhadatt

Just placed my order for a light blue one from Nippon-Yasan, can't wait to get it along with P4G. Anyone have recommendations on where to buy a memory card? What size should I get?

32 GB should do, until the 64 GB comes down in price.

In the US, Newegg.com has the 32 GB cards for $70 and good prices on the smaller cards. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&Description=vita+memory+card&N=-1&isNodeId=1

Amazon has the 64 GB cards: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F27JGVA/?tag=neogaf0e-20

32 GB should do, until the 64 GB comes down in price.

In the US, Newegg.com has the 32 GB cards for $70 and good prices on the smaller cards. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&Description=vita+memory+card&N=-1&isNodeId=1

Amazon has the 64 GB cards: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F27JGVA/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Thanks :) Just ordered everything and it looks like the game and memory card will be here on Thursday. Just waiting for Nippon-Yasan to ship out the Vita and hopefully it'll be here before the weekend!

Selvaria

I am still debating on picking an import up, or waiting maybe for a US release.

Even if I did wait there is no guarantee on color selection either. I just want the 2000 for remote when Ground Zeroes for PS4!

What coloring did you go for, and do you live in the US (sorry for being forward) and how much of a pain/turnaround and cost (sorry for all the questions)?

I'm in Canada and I went for the full white unit. Ordered from Nippon-Yasan along with the 64 GB memory card. Didn't experience any problems with them. Though I have had orders with them recently that didn't go so well. They couldn't secure inventory for items I ordered. Waited for a week before they finally refunded me.

Having just purchased the super-awesome Khaki/Black Vita PCH-2000, I wanted to put my two cents in on the redesign.

This thing is definitely superior to the original Vita in a lot of ways. Contrary to what some are saying here (probably those who haven't even touched the damn thing), this is NOT a redesign that feels cheap. The casing feels cohesive and solid; there's no chintzy plastic here.

The form factor is slick and smooth and feels better in the hands than the 1000 Vita (I've held and played around with both). The 2000 feels light without feeling cheap.

The two colour design is very nice (and as many have stated here, the Khaki/Black is just fucking sexy). There's more khaki than there is black here. The black finish is literally a "face plate" in terms of size (which is a good thing), and does show finger prints quite a bit but that's to be expected. The khaki part of the body has a nice, textured plastic for better grip, and the back touch panel, while smaller than the one that was on the original Vita, is smaller but still very manageable (even for my huge hands).

I think I'm starting to get annoyed by the "no OLED" hate this Vita is getting. I've seen both screens up close and personal, and the new LCD looks very, very good. Colors have a clean and natural look, there's no ghosting, and there is a vibrancy that is quite substantial considering the downgrade from OLED. I think this boils down to a matter of preference. I was worried I would feel like I had decided on buying the inferior product when looking at the LCD screen...this is absolutely NOT the case.

I would take this beautiful LCD screen over the reported burn-in/mura effect of the OLED any day of the week.

That burn in on the OLED would have destroyed me due to my OCD (I've had a LOT of bad luck with electronic devices throughout my years as a gamer).

Check out the pics, which are admittedly not that great, but whatever. My Nikon isn't on hand at the moment so iPhone 4S will have to do.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/109899839@N08/sets/72157639820217104/

I could have bought a pre-owned, white OG Vita with a 4GB memory card for $50 less...instead I went with this new model and a 32GB memory card.

I made the right choice. Anyone getting the new Vita will feel like they did, too.

Netto-kun

Great write-up and pretty much my thoughts after spending a good amount of time with the Fenrir Edition. No pictures will do justice to the screen and overall build quality of the Vita 2000.

Thoughts on screen protector? Needed or just a waste? I never had one on my old PSP and never had any issues with it.
You should be fine if you never had issues with scratches on the PSP. I usually use screen protectors for my handhelds (oh, and clear cases for most of the DS/3DS) .

andycapps

So when this actually comes out in the US will it be cheaper? If I don't have either yet but will be buying one in about 3 weeks, should I just get the Vita 1000 or wait for this? I don't want to import and then have to deal with X-O's being backwards.

Jomjom

Banned
So now that it looks like this slim model is coming west, I just have a quick question for people who are already living in the future with the Vita 2000.

The only issue I had with the original was that the X Button and the Right Analog Stick were way too close together. My thumbs are not that big, but anytime I went to hit the X Button, the edge of my thumb would hit the Right Analog Stick.

Does the Vita 2000 fix this problem? Are the X Button and Right Analog Stick farther away from each other?

If so, I'm going to sell my Vita 1000 now before the price plummets once the 2000 releases.

^^ Did they announce that the slim was coming here?

You should be fine if you never had issues with scratches on the PSP. I usually use screen protectors for my handhelds (oh, and clear cases for most of the DS/3DS) .

Sounds good. Eagerly awaiting for FedEx to bring my PS Vita, but with the weather we had today, I'm not sure what time they'll be here. I'm so anxious for it!

EDIT: Just got mine, love the white and light blue! Finally get to see what all the hype is about with P4G.

dolabla

Got a few questions for people that have imported to the US.

Are Japanese and US firmware updates the same? And can you update the Vita Slim on a US PSN account?

Do you need any type of voltage power converter (so it won't fry the Vita from voltage differences) to plug into a US plug to charge the Vita? Or can you just plug it into a plug and charge the Vita without any problems?

I'm really wanting to import a Japanese Vita slim, so I'd really appreciate it if someone could answer them for me.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Got a few questions for people that have imported to the US.

Are Japanese and US firmware updates the same? And can you update the Vita Slim on a US PSN account?

Do you need any type of voltage power converter (so it won't fry the Vita from voltage differences) to plug into a US plug to charge the Vita? Or can you just plug it into a plug and charge the Vita without any problems?

I'm really wanting to import a Japanese Vita slim, so I'd really appreciate it if someone could answer them for me.

- FWs are the same.
- You can update the FW on Japanese Vita with using US account.
- It use a USB to charge so yeah. and the Japanese charger is universal 110v~240v so you wont have any issue with it.

so you are fine to go.

anyway I'll advice you to wait. Vita 2000 just hit the UK I don't think it'll take much time before it hit USA and having a warranty for your handheld is good.

dolabla

- FWs are the same.
- You can update the FW on Japanese Vita with using US account.
- It use a USB to charge so yeah. and the Japanese charger is universal 110v~240v so you wont have any issue with it.

so you are fine to go.

anyway I'll advice you to wait. Vita 2000 just hit the UK I don't think it'll take much time before it hit USA and having a warranty for your handheld is good.

Thanks for the response man.

I'm gonna give it a few weeks to see if they do announce anything. If not, I'm just gonna import. I really, really do want that lime green/white Vita. Going by what the UK got, we probably won't be getting these same color schemes. Just plain black again :(

Metalmarc

Q: is it confirmed you can use the 1GB built in memory additionally to their memory cards?
A: No, you must use one or the other. If a memory card is inserted it will override the built in storage.

I know I'm late to this gem from the OP, but in fairness only now the slims are coming to the UK
*Facepalms*

Good job sony :/

image.jpg

So now that it looks like this slim model is coming west, I just have a quick question for people who are already living in the future with the Vita 2000.

The only issue I had with the original was that the X Button and the Right Analog Stick were way too close together. My thumbs are not that big, but anytime I went to hit the X Button, the edge of my thumb would hit the Right Analog Stick.

Does the Vita 2000 fix this problem? Are the X Button and Right Analog Stick farther away from each other?

If so, I'm going to sell my Vita 1000 now before the price plummets once the 2000 releases.

I don't have this problem, but I could see how others could.

Looking at my Vita 2000, I could easily place my thumb over the right analog and X button...but my thumbs are HUGE!

I think it depends largely on thumb placement and how you hit the X button. If you do it often on the original Vita, you're probably going to do it often here. They're only about half an inch apart from each other.

thuway

Waiting one more revision before upgrading. Praying for a Vita XL with double shoulder buttons making it perfect for remote play.

Any info on these coming to the US anytime soon? I'm hoping to buy a Vita soon, but not sure if I should just get the current OLED version, or just wait for this new LCD model.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Any info on these coming to the US anytime soon? I'm hoping to buy a Vita soon, but not sure if I should just get the current OLED version, or just wait for this new LCD model.

dunno when it'll hit in the US but it's in Europe now. I guess they just wait till they get rid of their US supply of Vita 1000.

I'd say get the OLED version. the LCD screen in Vita 2000 is really bad (with a permanent yellow tint)

IaN_GAF

Thanks for the great write up, duder! Those pictures are greatly appreciated.

I currently own two OLED Vita's, so I don't really NEED another one... But those colours kind of leave me defenceless. I'm not sure I will be able to resist when these end up in shops around here. I still think the Vita (in combination with PS+) is a great handheld and I have definately used it more than I expected when I got the first one.

People that are still saying "Vita has no games" are more than welcome to swing by and help me with my backlog.

The black blotches can be only seen in a very dark room when the screen is black. barely noticeable for me.

Yes Vita is region free.
Cool, thanks. :)

Know of any good places I can import one of the new PS Vitas from? Maybe a UK online store? Or maybe from Japan, if it's cheaper.

The black blotches can be only seen in a very dark room when the screen is black. barely noticeable for me.

Yes Vita is region free.

Yea this is true, thought i was only one. But when I saw it, I was glad it wasn't dead or stuck pixels. That shit is the real problem. The good thing about "stuck" pixels is if you keep playing the system they might become unstuck. On the original PSP there were homebrew applications made to try and attempt to unstick them. Not sure if you really need that tho just try just playing something that flashes a lot or something that you think would cause epilepsy lol and leave it on over night Not sure how long it'd take but it's worth a shot.

Mogwai

Waiting one more revision before upgrading. Praying for a Vita XL with double shoulder buttons making it perfect for remote play.

I was thinking of buying a Vita Slim for preparation for remote play when I buy a PS4 sometime next year. I've begun to question this whole remote play thing. I'm a bit cautious about Sony implementing this. It doesn't really seem like they're making much effort to make it happen. And they lose the income from selling Vita games too.

kyoakuma

Banned
so basically the japanese vita 2.0 works the same as an american 1.0? all my games are compatible, my psn account and the games on there are compatible too right?

The Vita's region free. So if you really wanted it, you could just order it from like Play-Asia or something.

That's if they don't actually come out in the US. But we usually get a few colors. Atleast from my experiences from what I remember when I used to work retail.

Would it be cheaper there than from a UK import site?

Anyone have any experience with NCSX?

Not sure, probably not since anything released game console wise is usually released at a higher price point than here in the US. That might have changed with currency conversion and whatever but I don't really think so. Plus I'm not in Europe and don't really browse those sites :O

thuway

I was thinking of buying a Vita Slim for preparation for remote play when I buy a PS4 sometime next year. I've begun to question this whole remote play thing. I'm a bit cautious about Sony implementing this. It doesn't really seem like they're making much effort to make it happen. And they lose the income from selling Vita games too.
Trust me the complaints about Remote Play are heard loud and clear. I just don't know if anything can be done to increase playing resolution to 720p and get games to run at 60 FPS.

Ty4on

Trust me the complaints about Remote Play are heard loud and clear. I just don't know if anything can be done to increase playing resolution to 720p and get games to run at 60 FPS.
The resolution is fine as 540p scales perfectly to 1080p. They just need less compression and ofc 60 fps streaming.

I wonder how much of the issues are hardware related and cannot be fixed without giving both devices better Wi-Fi. With streaming as a selling point I'd love to see both devices with AC or at the very least 5 GHz.

RaikuHebi

Banned
The resolution is fine as 540p scales perfectly to 1080p. They just need less compression and ofc 60 fps streaming.

I wonder how much of the issues are hardware related and cannot be fixed without giving both devices better Wi-Fi. With streaming as a selling point I'd love to see both devices with AC or at the very least 5 GHz.

I certainly hope that at the very least the Vita TV will be able to perform better thanks to having an ethernet port.

Mogwai

Any indications of whether the current WiFi chips are good enough for streaming? In worst case, the new Vita is DOA in regard to remote play?

Ty4on

I certainly hope that at the very least the Vita TV will be able to perform better thanks to having an ethernet port.
Bizarre that they didn't give the Vita TV 1080p though. I think it's made from old Vitas, but how hard can it be. Can't the 35 buck chromecast stream 1080p?

I thought it was both? Glossy front and matte back.

Finally pulled the trigger on a white and light blue model used on eBay for $220, which is what I would likely have to pay for an American model plus tax here in CA. I'm expecting no discount and black only from SCEA. Sony Europe actually likes the Vita, and seeing what they pulled gives me no confidence for what's going to happen here.

Bruno

I thought it was both? Glossy front and matte back.

Finally pulled the trigger on a white and light blue model used on eBay for $220, which is what I would likely have to pay for an American model plus tax here in CA. I'm expecting no discount and black only from SCEA. Sony Europe actually likes the Vita, and seeing what they pulled gives me no confidence for what's going to happen here.

It's both

Now that the older model is so much cheaper than this one on release in the UK, I am either tempted to buy it instead (i already had one before selling.) Alternatively I am waiting for this model to drop in price. I hope that doesn't take too long.

Top Bottom