• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS VITA TV announced (~$100, Vita set top box - as in it has no screen - for TVs)

Dead

well not really...yet
So how does storage work on this thing? If you want to play PS1/PSP/Vita games off PSN...? Is there a memory card slot?

so.....

it lets you play psp, psvita, ps1+ps2 classics

if you've got 2 tvs, you don't need to carry your ps4 everytime you want to play but your gaming tv is occupied, no need to pull out the cords everytime...

it also lets you watch tv and video streaming services on its own...so even if someone is using the ps4 for netflix you can go ahead and watch on hulu or crackle on this thing...

and if you buy this + ps4 it will come out at the same price as an xbone?

Lawd.gif

Rooster

If you're using the Vita TV for PS4 remote play then it stands to reason you'll also have the DS4 that came with your PS4. The DS3 bundle makes sense for those without a PS4.

Razma1

Exactly what I need with my Vita and soon to be PS4. Lets me set the console up in my room but my family can mess around on stuff in the living room without having to move console back and forth.

Also playing some of these PS+ games on the Vita on my big TV will be super cool.

I'll buy this day 1. I've been contemplating on if I made a mistake on getting Dragon's Crown on Vita since I mostly play it at home anyways, but this changes everything. I can't even imagine playing P4G on the big screen (that is of course if it actually looks good going Vita to TV).

That really is an amazing price for access to (most of?) the vita library.

I don't understand the remote play thing, is it just so you don't have to move your ps4 from room to room?

The idea is to play the PS4 if the PS4 is being used by someone else in the household.

PS4 is being used by parents in living room to watch Netflix.

No problem PSVita TV in your bedroom streams PS4 game to your TV while they use the PS4 to watch a movie.

Salex

Banned
Some people are forgetting the point of handheld devices. You can play the PS Vita anywhere and if you have wifi you can play PS4 games. That's the point. If you want to play PS Vita games at home now you have the option. Sony benefits either way.

I'm unbelievably confused by this lol. Didn't realize there was a market that wants to play vita games on the tv, but if there is, I suppose that's cool for people that want to do that, and especially for people who want a playstation style apple tv device.

However, the most awesome use for this from what I see, is the ability to use it to remotely play your PS4 in a different room from where the PS4 is actually located. That's a pretty awesome feature. Having the PS1 classics is also cool, too, but the primary reason I could ever see myself wanting this down the line is for the remote playing of PS4 games feature.

IrishNinja

kinda wish vita just had a proper HDMI out, but the ability to switch TV's in the house is cool, even if i won't use it personally. kinda on the fence here but a few more vita titles down the road that i'd like to see on a big screen (plus hopefully a better US price) and i think i'd be down.

see if you weren't trying so hard, you'dve taken the obvious ouya shot & kept it moving

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
90% of sony made vita games use the touchpad, how will that work with this setup?
is the system itself a vita requiring a vita mem card and game cartridge?
can the vita be used as a controller?
can the DS4 be used as a controller?
The Remote Play demo in the trailer implies that it's DS4 compatible.

o6n0TMR.png

nampad

Why does this not have internal storage? The need for Vita memory cards limits the appeal in a big way like it already did for the Vita.
Come on Sony, you could have hit a homerun with this device against all other TV boxes. Now you make the same mistake over again.

Zok310

Banned
This will help eliminate needing a ps4 or ps3 for each tv in a household. Great nod to consumers Sony.
Hopefully the ad is not promising more than they can deliver.

I can see this negatively impacting the Wii U. It also positions the Vita, of all things, as a competitor to Roku and Apple TV. Brilliant move.

Lunzio

They'll bring this to the west. Don't worry.

I've been holding off on handhelds for years... I think this might be for me.

With all the PS4Vita games, this makes incredible sense as well. Vita has games, dudes. LOTS of game.

When my first reaction, I was really impressed about this device and I said, "What is this?" Then, it was PlayStation Vita TV, a device of Remote Play and cloud-basing service called Gaikai.

After the conference was over, I was excited about the PlayStation 4 and I realized about the PlayStation Vita TV that if the PlayStation 4 has the device, that would make it

BACKWARDS COMPATIBILITY!

That's right, I think I am the only one who realized it and maybe it would come true.

@ Ben Roderick

ghostmind

So if I go visit my parents in another city, then I just need to bring this thing and a DS4 and I can play my PS4 games remotely on their TV?

SOLD!

The idea is to play the PS4 if the PS4 is being used by someone else in the household.

PS4 is being used by parents in living room to watch Netflix.

No problem PSVita TV in your bedroom streams PS4 game to your TV while they use the PS4 to watch a movie.

I don't think Remote Play would work like that, one PS4 can only do one thing at a time.

jetsetrez

Wait, are you serious? One hundred dollars? And it doesn't require a standalone Vita or PS4? I.. this seems far too smart for me to believe Sony did this. If this is how it is, I'm sold.

wrowa

This is what Nintendo should have done. Very interesting concept, will be interesting to see how the market reacts to what is basically an extremely cheap and portable (as in easy to carry around the house and to friends) console.

ckohler

I'm pretty sure this streaming is limited to a Wi-Fi network, not via the internet.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
If the Vita supports wifi remote play from anywhere this will do.

We know Vita does because they showed a girl playing her PS4 using her Vita at her school cafeteria.

Top Bottom