• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS VITA TV announced (~$100, Vita set top box - as in it has no screen - for TVs)

Slime

Banned
Probably saved the Vita by increasing the user base in the long term, but the touch screen aspect makes it pretty useless right now. Here's hoping Sony's working their asses off to get all the games that rely on it patched.

MoGamesXNA

Unconfirmed Member
Megaton. Gamers that "don't get" handhelds will still be able to enjoy the existing PSV library and PS1/PSP titles in an environment they prefer to game on. This bodes extremely well for the platform and for existing Vita owners.

I just wish that it was styled like a mini-PS4. It's surprising that they didn't use a similar design language.

However, the most awesome use for this from what I see, is the ability to use it to remotely play your PS4 in a different room from where the PS4 is actually located. That's a pretty awesome feature. Having the PS1 classics is also cool, too, but the primary reason I could ever see myself wanting this down the line is for the remote playing of PS4 games feature.

Would be awesome for me. I'm always lugging my PS3 up and down floors depending on who is using the TV and who wants to use the PS3 to watch videos.

RaikuHebi

Banned
Why create a system that will compete with the PS3 and PS4? Seems like a mistake to me. Too many systems in the marketplace. Just get the PS3 price down (especially now that it's flash memory).

And if they were going to do it, at least do it right: don't make people buy overpriced VITA memory cards.
If they market it right it will print money.

Would be awesome for me. I'm always lugging my PS3 up and down floors depending on who is using the TV and who wants to use the PS3 to watch videos.
Exactly the same here, though atm I've got into Vita remote play.

RdN

This is a fantastic idea.. I'm excited for the PS4 Remote Play. If it's smooth and fast, it'll be amazing.

Zoator

This is awesome. I bought a Vita for Persona 4 Golden, but I hate playing on a 5 inch screen. In lieu of an HDMI port on the Vita itself, this is exactly what I wanted.

Kyon

Banned
The PS Eco system tv idea I always wanted it and its weird that I'm surprised it happened.

I LOVE Apple TV and this is even more perfect

FINALBOSS

Banned
90% of sony made vita games use the touchpad, how will that work with this setup?
is the system itself a vita requiring a vita mem card and game cartridge?
can the vita be used as a controller?
can the DS4 be used as a controller?

Assuming the DS4 will be able to used instead of DS3 for touchpad games. I wouldn't say 90% though.
Don't need a vita.
No idea.
Most likely.

Games like Uncharted, Killzone & Gravity Rush would probably get patched in with non-touch features, but yeah, some games will definitely not be able to do it. ( like Tearaway )

The Remote Play demo in the trailer implies that it's DS4 compatible.

o6n0TMR.png

Remote play and DS4 being patched in I think. I'm wondering if these will be completed before worldwide launch.

The output resolution on this thing will be crucial. Not sure how ifeel about everything being 540p or less. Wonder if the os and video services will support 720/1080.

keuja

Should be on OP that it also works as a PS4 extender. Leave PS4 in the living room, take the Vita box to your bedroom and play PS4 from there.

Or at your grandma's place or at your hotel when you travel I hope.
Do you need to be on the same LAN for it to work?

Good idea.Great price. If the attach rate for this thing is good i.e. bundled in with a PS4 will it tempt developers to actually care about Vita?

Also, I wonder if they could patch in sync'ing a controller natively to a Vita.

AniHawk

i want

a ps vita (the handheld) for tearaway, dangan ronpa, and other obviously handheld-only games

a vita tv for trails in the sky and other rpgs i missed out on

i don't want both... so i might settle on the much more expensive handheld for just a couple of games, despite how much more vita tv is up my alley.

This could be a huge deal here in the West. Portable gaming isn't as popular here so the vita will now have the on the go model for people who like the portability and the cheap home console model for people who are interested in the games but hold back because its on a portable.

The fact that either option lets you stream ps4 games. Could be a huge hit at the right price. Not convinced its as much of a selling point in Japan though seeing as the are crazy for portables.

B.O.O.M

I said this in the other thread too..this is bloody brilliant. This is essentially another Vita SKU without the screen etc, video out and half the price.

Brilliant

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
So, the base model is for those who already own Vita, I suppose. While the 150$ is for those who don't own a Vita, with DS3 and an 8GB card. Unfortunately, there's still the memory problem, the cards are just too costly.

Still, this seems like a good move.

$h@d0w

I see only one solution. Patches. Patches everywhere.

Doesn't matter, this is the platforms future now.

There are only like 2 games that use the camera features like this to progress - Uncharted, Assassins Creed Liberation. I think it's fine.

Top Bottom