• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4/3 sales generate more revenue than XB1/360/Wii & Wii U combined

ZhugeEX

Banned
I mean, as far as the Wii goes, it was far cheaper than the ps3. Revenue is a pretty meaningless number in and of itself without knowing losses as well.

Correct.

It is worth pointing out that this thread only covers revenue and not profit. Therefore please keep this in mind when discussing.

The PlayStation 3 for example was sold at a higher cost than the Xbox 360 and so for some years it generated revenue higher than the 360. But it is worth keeping in mind that it made terrible losses during the first half of its lifecycle and only became somewhat profitable in to the second half.

The PlayStation 4 in 2013 was priced to sell at a positive profit, unlike the PS3.

This thread is more to show how much revenue is being generated by home console sales and how well the PlayStation brand is doing compared to others.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Revenue does not equal profit. I imagine Nintendo is profiting the most, especially if you include 3DS.

Impressive though.

Breads

Banned
Wasn't PSP also relatively fast abandoned?

Here's a list of notable consoles that sold LESS than PSP.

Game Boy Advance. Nintendo Entertainment System. Nintendo 3DS. Super Nintendo. Sega Genesis. Nintendo 64. Xbox. Playstation 4. Gamecube. Xbox One. And so on.

PSP sold 82 million. It's actually the 8th highest selling console of all time.

It's also misleading to compare 2012 to 2014. For Nintendo, they were of course going to do better in 2012 since that's when their new system launched. For the others, they're doing better in 2014 because you're comparing the tail end of a cycle to the beginning of a new one. The market has always been cycle driven. If you want a better comparison, those first bar charts should have used the 2009 numbers of the ones they collected, if not 2008 which is probably the most relevant

Game Boy Advance. Nintendo Entertainment System. Nintendo 3DS. Super Nintendo. Sega Genesis. Nintendo 64. Xbox. Playstation 4. Gamecube. Xbox One. And so on.

He wasn't inquiring about PSP sales, but rather first party support from Sony.

Aceofspades

Banned
Playstation brand has always been stronger than competition, I would even say that its the strongest gaming brand in history. This news is not surprising at all.

Playstation brand has always been stronger than competition, I would even say that its the strongest gaming brand in history. This news is not surprising at all.

From 2006 to 2010, it absolutely was not the strongest brand.

Overall though, yeah, although Nintendo is probably more culturally significant.

what? I don't think PSP actually got to 82 million

LQX

Good. Sony learned that the needs of CONSUMERS fucking mattered after their PS3 troubles. MS and Nintendo still said here; take it or leave, many left. I don't even have a PS4 any more as it is just not appealing to me at the moment but I give them major props over MS and Nintendo for realizing the consumers are their allies.

Sony has the worldwide appeal. Microsoft and Nintendo does not. This is nothing surprising.

I think this is what people were forgetting when discussing who'd come out on top this generation. The PS brand is the one brand that console gen after console gen has been strong in every region. Sony also continues to put a ton of work into markets that no one else seems to pay much attention to. Earlier this year they'd hit nearly a million units with the PS4 in the Middle East, a market that you don't hear much about but is still one that Sony puts in work with.

Sony has the worldwide appeal. Microsoft and Nintendo does not. This is nothing surprising.
I can agree on MIcrosoft, but I'm confused at Nintendo. Nintendo's console success is usually either there across the board, or not there across the board. The Wii was absolutely the most successful anywhere in the world of it's generation. You have a point only if you talk handhelds, but that's because handhelds as a market are far bigger in Japan than anywhere else.

Alo0oy

Banned
From 2006 to 2010, it absolutely was not the strongest brand.

Overall though, yeah, although Nintendo is probably more culturally significant.

Depends on the region, in some parts of the world Playstation is synonymous with gaming, like some parts of Europe or the Middle East.

Silvard

...While all of Sonys other divisions failed. PS seems to be Sonys only focus - that and Spiderman. It was as though Sony forgot they sell other products other than the PS.

Sony is a leader in the console space but at a giantic cost to Sony as a company.

...what?

Alo0oy

Banned
I can agree on MIcrosoft, but I'm confused at Nintendo. Nintendo's console success is usually either there across the board, or not there across the board. The Wii was absolutely the most successful anywhere in the world of it's generation. You have a point only if you talk handhelds, but that's because handhelds as a market are far bigger in Japan than anywhere else.

Nintendo was never as bad as MS, they had strong presence in most first world countries, but they were still lacking in developing countries.

EDIT:

Wii sold more in Europe than the ps3 did

It didn't.

fedexpeon

Banned
...While all of Sonys other divisions failed. PS seems to be Sonys only focus - that and Spiderman. It was as though Sony forgot they sell other products other than the PS.

Sony is a leader in the console space but at a giantic cost to Sony as a company.

Their insurance, financial, and camera divisions print money.
Why use all?
If you don't know for certain, use the word "some".
I think like the last time I saw their report, TV and cellphone were failing.
Movie wasn't making a lot of money due to the hack and leak, but it shouldn't matter though since Movie division is so big they usually recoup their money since that is how the industry works.
But yeah, it has been a while but still, it isn't all other divisions are failing though.

Nintendo was never as bad as MS, they had strong presence in most first world countries, but they were still lacking in developing countries.

It didn't.
The numbers I'm seeing are 30 million for ps3 as of december 2012 and 39.14 million for Wii as of the same time period

Caronte

Tell me more.

Actually I don't think that's true any more based on some recent data I have access to.

But then I'm not entirely sure as Nintendo don't split Europe from RoTW.

Yeah, that makes it harder. But PS3 also groups Australia with Europe as they're both part of the PAL region, and I'm not sure what other major regions there are

Breads

Banned
Mind boggling how low Nintendo has fallen.

Their games are still just as good though. I just feel their problem is their business practices. Impotent marketing/ naming conventions. Alienating third parties and non native speaking developers. Sticking to weaker hardware. Not playing nice with the PC market. It's all a pretty big gut punch when the competition is so strong. They stood alone or so long and so far it's worked but the need to change things up again. I'm sure they will though. This is after all par for the course for the nintendo cycle.

The Wii U is a colossal failure, especially compared to the major success that was the Wii. And both are priced much cheaper than their competition. This should surprise nobody

Wii sold to people who are never going to buy a gaming console ever again. They hit a market that has moved onto mobile gaming.

Alo0oy

Banned
Wii sold to people who are never going to buy a gaming console ever again. They hit a market that has moved onto mobile gaming.

Those people were willing to buy another console, according to Sony, about a third of the PS4 owners were previously Wii owners.

Griss

I remember so many people (the entirety of Nintendo included!) saying 'just a more powerful, simple box won't do anything for anyone'.

My take was always 'It's the software people want, just give them a simple, relatively affordable box to upgrade to and let the software sell it.' And that's precisely what Sony did, and they had massive success.

Now I'm wondering how that success will influence the design and marketing of consoles going forward.

In 2014. Thread title is a bit misleading.

the year 2015 isn't over yet and the results aren't changing.

has always

giphy.gif

ZhugeEX

Banned
Yeah, that makes it harder. But PS3 also groups Australia with Europe as they're both part of the PAL region, and I'm not sure what other major regions there are

I just checked a few things. Wedbush Securities data (based on GfK) tracked the below as of December 31st 2014 in European regions (excludes RoTW).

34.3m Wii
35.1m PS3

So that's where I remember the PS3 overtaking Wii In Europe from. But do bear in mind it's an estimated sell through number so may be incorrect. There is no way of proving it though because Sony and Nintendo don't break down sales so this is all we have to go on for latest data.

Sakura

If we are just talking revenue, wouldn't that mean even if the XBO and PS4 sold equal units the PS4 would still be higher because it is more expensive?
If you consider the prices of Wii U, Wii, 360, 3DS and the XBO, then it isn't really all that surprising that Sony would be the biggest. I would be more curious to see how much profits they are making.

Top Bottom