• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4/3 sales generate more revenue than XB1/360/Wii & Wii U combined

Alo0oy

Banned
Wii only owners or people who also had a Wii?

They never specified, from what I remember, they said one third owned PS360, one third never owned a previous gen console, and one third were Wii owners (or maybe it was one third PS3 & one third Wii360, but I can't find the article right now).

bluedawgs

Banned
You know what killed Nintendo? Calling their new console Wii U and effectively slapping the worst possible name for any video game product ever on their handheld, the 3DS. Seriously, how much worse could a name for a video game device get?

Grief.exe

I remember so many people (the entirety of Nintendo included!) saying 'just a more powerful, simple box won't do anything for anyone'.

My take was always 'It's the software people want, just give them a simple, relatively affordable box to upgrade to and let the software sell it.' And that's precisely what Sony did, and they had massive success.

Now I'm wondering how that success will influence the design and marketing of consoles going forward.

If anything, you're really describing what Nintendo did. Sony is still struggling as far as compelling exclusive content goes.
This is GAF, I'm already dead aren't I?

I would argue Sony just had that right place right time with the PS3/360 lasting far too long, good marketing push, and Xbox One mismanaging their reveal.

Sakura

You know what killed Nintendo? Calling their new console Wii U and effectively slapping the worst possible name for any video game product ever on their handheld, the 3DS. Seriously, how much worse could a name for a video game device get?

Yes. If they hadn't called it the Wii U I'm sure the console would've been a success.

mejin

It was a long journey for Sony after the messed up PS3 launch, but now they deserve all the sucess. Hope they don't get lazy.

Alo0oy

Banned
That probably includes people with Wii+something else...regardless that ratio will only fall as time goes on.

It should be the opposite, since the ratio of "casual gamers" increases as time goes on, not the other way around.

Last gen the ratio for multi console owners was very low, people over-estimate how many people own multiple consoles.

JordanN

Banned
Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not but yeah I think it would have done better than at least the Gamecube if they called it something else

I really doubt 10 million people are holding out because of the name.

Gamecube had perception problems as well like being called "the purple lunchbox" but Wii U clearly isn't doing better for not looking like one.

If anything, you're really describing what Nintendo did. Sony is still struggling as far as compelling exclusive content goes.

I would argue Sony just had that right place right time with the PS3/360 lasting far too long, good marketing push, and Xbox One mismanaging their reveal.

PS1:100 million
PS2:150 million
PS3:88 million
PS4:Dominating its generation throughly

I think we are past the point of calling Sony lucky, they know how to make compelling game consoles.

Trago

Well of course. Starting out, they were the only ones with the attractive box for people to upgrade to in 2014. Things have certainly changed since then, but this shouldn't come as a surprise to everyone.

That and not having a clear vision for who they were aiming at. With the Wii they right out the gate went for the casual market. Everything about their marketing indicated that. They went for an all or nothing approach. They had an underpowered console that wasn't going to float with hardcore gamers in the same way that the more powerful consoles would, so they knew they had to attract a new market. And the succeeded in doing that. They tried the same thing with the Wii U, except this time they also tried to make the console appeal to the hardcore gamers. The problem was that once again the console is underpowered, and they're still behind and/or stubborn in a lot of ways (online play, trophies/achievements etc).

The NX will be interesting just to see which direction they take. The casual market is a dangerous one as they showed with the Wii. That market came and went real fast for them. So would they go for it again? Or would they try to target the hardcore market, which would require them to make significant changes to their philosophy.

bluedawgs

Banned
I really doubt 10 million people are holding out because of the name.

Gamecube had perception problems as well like being called "the purple lunchbox" but Wii U clearly isn't doing better for not looking like one.

Those 10 million people don't even know it's not the Wii, because it's named the Wii U.

Microsoft had their chance but they blew it. 100 euros more expensive, tier 2/3 delays, PR disasters, etc.

Sony had the same fiasco with PS3, but lucky for them, PS2 had been such a phenomenon and built a huge install base that it saved PS3.
No, it did not. It wasn't until they dropped the PS3 price to $299 before people finally started buying it in droves.

Microsoft also didn't have Xbox One available in other regions of the world until much later than Sony combined with the higher price and well. What do you expect lol? Sony had no competition in other regions for a few months.

Sakura

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not but yeah I think it would have done better than at least the Gamecube if they called it something else

I was being sarcastic.
The Xbox One is a dumb as hell name too but the console isn't struggling the same way.
Sure the Wii U name isn't doing the console any favours but it's hardly the reason the system sells/sold as poorly as it did.

impact

Banned
The Wii U is a colossal failure, especially compared to the major success that was the Wii. And both are priced much cheaper than their competition. This should surprise nobody

Not even. In the US the Wii U is only $100 less than a PS4 while being a generation behind. Not exactly cheap imo.

bluedawgs

Banned
Well of course. Starting out, they were the only ones with the attractive box for people to upgrade to in 2014. Things have certainly changed since then, but this shouldn't come as a surprise to everyone.

Well, yes things have changed, instead of the PS4 not having over 50% marketshare in 2014, they now in 2015 have over 50% marketshare.

Kolx

If we are just talking revenue, wouldn't that mean even if the XBO and PS4 sold equal units the PS4 would still be higher because it is more expensive?
If you consider the prices of Wii U, Wii, 360, 3DS and the XBO, then it isn't really all that surprising that Sony would be the biggest. I would be more curious to see how much profits they are making.

The difference in the revenue is so big that the number of units will also be big, but I agree that profit is what matter the most at the end for a company like Sony now.

Percy

Banned
Unsurprising, perhaps, but no less impressive a feat for it.

Eh... not really.

I wasnt able to find Sony's Handheld sales data from latest results. Have they completely swiped them under the rug or what are they? I recall last total Handheld sales was roughly 90 mil. Any info for that?

ZhugeEX

Banned
Either woild be fine. I know Nintendo does break this stuff but carious about Sony/MS data.

Well Sony generated about $3.5 billion in game software sales for calendar year 2014.

That is from their financial report.

In fact Sony generated more revenue from PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4 hardware sales than they did software sales, digital sales, accessory sales and portable console sales.

I'll have a look through some other market research reports later to see if I can find break downs for MS.

...While all of Sonys other divisions failed. PS seems to be Sonys only focus - that and Spiderman. It was as though Sony forgot they sell other products other than the PS.

Sony is a leader in the console space but at a giantic cost to Sony as a company.
Ah yes, this is what I came for. Nintendo avatar? Check. Irrelevant data used to put down the opposition? Check. Perfect sodium balance achieved.

bluedawgs

Banned

Microsoft mismanaging their reveal has gotten them 3+ million more sales than the Xbox 360 in the same time frame. Sony launching at the same time and not fucking up by pricing their product at $600 has allowed Sony to take back the #1 spot that would have been theirs anyway.

Trago

Well, yes things have changed, instead of the PS4 not having over 50% marketshare in 2014, they now in 2015 have over 50% marketshare.

I wasn't talking about market share. In terms of the competition, I think Microsoft has done a serviceable job at turning the Xbox One around and making it a more attractive console to buy.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

You'd also be wrong considering a lot of people bought their PS4's on the assumption of exclusive Japanese support the other consoles would not get, which is definitely the case.

I would also argue that Sony would have destroyed MS regardless considering how nobody outside of the US really cares about Xbox. And 360's headstart was a year and 10 million, and the lead was still erased.

Maybe MS could have stayed on top in their home territory had Sony done everything wrong again and MS everything right, but that was never going to happen.

I skipped them

That explains it. You missed some good times

wolfhowwl

Banned

You're not dead, you're just out of touch.

The hand-wringing and obsession over exclusives on communities like GAF, System Wars, etc. doesn't mean anything to tens of millions of people in the real world who are buying a console as their primary gaming device.

That guy was right. The software is selling the PS4, it is just third party titles like FIFA, COD, and Battlefield.

bluedawgs

Banned
I wasn't talking about market share. In terms of the competition, I think Microsoft has done a serviceable job at turning the Xbox One around and making it a more attractive console to buy.

If you put it that way, then nothing has changed since 2014. They're releasing another Halo and another Forza during the holidays, same as 2014.

nubbe

Well using reverse logic, the PS3 would have only been a success if Sony had not fucked it up. So not fucking it up would have been ideal.

I rather liked the PS1 and PS2 era dominions myself.

I think Xbone would have been a success if they had not managed to alienate and scare off just about everyone

It's actually kind of true for Nintendos home consoles outside of Wii. Gamecube and N64 did pretty badly outside of US and Japan and even NES and SNES didn't do that hot outside of US and Japan. When you compare just US and Japan original PlayStation didn't sell that much more than NES but when you add rest of the world the difference becomes huge.

Gator86

Mind boggling how low Nintendo has fallen.

It's not surprising at all. With the exception of the Wii, every Nintendo console has sold roughly 10 million units fewer than its predecessor. I'm not sure why people let 4 years of unrepeatable Wii sales distract them from this. Unless the NX is a complete paradigm shift or some huge phenomenon like the Wii, I'd put my money on it laying face down in the gutter right beside the WiiU.

Bioshocker

Interesting post. Sony is really doing well, but it looks like Microsoft had a decent 2014 too.

And welcome back Zhuge. :)

Percy

Banned
He's right from a console perspective. Isn't the Wii the only Nintendo console that was strong in every region? It's generally just Japan and the US where Nintendo is strong from a console perspective.

Europe also. Especially in territories like France I believe.

There might be an argument to be made about how strong Nintendo's WW appeal is, but to state that they don't have the WW appeal Sony do is flat out wrong.

Why can't we ban people for blatant inflammatory fanboyism? Ruins so many topics...

Ban people for stating they don't find most XB1 exclusives good you mean?

I'd laugh, but depending on which mod you end up dealing with this can actually happen... so SuperEpicGuy may yet end up being banned for that post.

Trago

If you put it that way, then nothing has changed since 2014. They're releasing another Halo and another Forza during the holidays, same as 2014.

Are you really gonna ignore the other changes they made for the better in the last year, as well as what's in store for the future of this console? They've gone and made themselves the cheaper alternative, as they should have. Their monthly updates to the UI and system have made navigating the console much better, and their upcoming first party/exclusive lineup outside of Halo and Forza does look competitive.

They are clearly putting in work, but again, in 2014, things were much different.

bluedawgs

Banned
I would say PS3 is a huge drop. But won't the 360 and PS3 both hit 100 million soon?

The PS3 hit 80 million late 2013, so that means in nearly two years it's only managed to gain only 7-8 million sales. I highly, highly doubt it will sell another 12-13 million with how much it's declining.

Top Bottom