• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4/3 sales generate more revenue than XB1/360/Wii & Wii U combined

ZhugeEX

Banned
In Japan, the PSP got great support all the way until the PS Vita was released.

Koei Tecmo just released a new PSP game last month haha! But yeh, PSP is pretty much dead worldwide now in terms of new releases or userbase support.

Wow I'm impressed. I was under the impression last-gen sales had cratered harder than that.

Any chance either will hit 100 million?

They have cratered very hard though, whilst consoles like the PS1 and PS2 went on to sell 30m-45m additional consoles after the launch of their successors the PS3/360 will struggle to even sell an additional 10 million units each after PS4/One launch.

I expect both consoles to reach 90 million in the first quarter of 2016 (basically after holiday 2015) and then pretty much hang around that 90m number until they are discontinued. 100 million is very much out of reach at this point.

Europe also. Especially in territories like France I believe.

There might be an argument to be made about how strong Nintendo's WW appeal is, but to state that they don't have the WW appeal Sony do is flat out wrong.

I would agree that Nintendo have great worldwide appeal, especially in Japan, North America and Western Europe. However the PlayStation brand is also strong in all these territories as well as EMEA, Asia and RoTW.

bluedawgs

Banned
Are you really gonna ignore the other changes they made for the better in the last year, as well as what's in store for the future of this console? They've gone and made themselves the cheaper alternative, as they should have. Their monthly updates to the UI and system have made navigating the console much better, and their upcoming first party/exclusive lineup outside of Halo and Forza does look competitive.

They are clearly putting in work, but again, in 2014, things were much different.

Did you originally mean different from 2013? Because everything you listed has stayed the exact same since 2014.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Koei Tecmo just released a new PSP game last month haha! But yeh, PSP is pretty much dead worldwide now in terms of new releases or userbase support.

It would have been nice to see a PSP-4000 with the same pretty IPS LED-Backlit LCD screen that the PS Vita 2000 has.

I mean, that screen is so nice!!!

Silvard

Are you really gonna ignore the other changes they made for the better in the last year, as well as what's in store for the future of this console? They've gone and made themselves the cheaper alternative, as they should have. Their monthly updates to the UI and system have made navigating the console much better, and their upcoming first party/exclusive lineup outside of Halo and Forza does look competitive.

They are clearly putting in work, but again, in 2014, things were much different.

The market at large does, especially outside of the US and UK. The gap is only increasing so they've actually failed to make it more attractive to buy despite all their efforts and price cuts.

Vashetti

Banned
They have cratered very hard though, whilst consoles like the PS1 and PS2 went on to sell 30m-45m additional consoles after the launch of their successors the PS3/360 will struggle to even sell an additional 10 million units each after PS4/One launch.

I expect both consoles to reach 90 million in the first quarter of 2016 (basically after holiday 2015) and then pretty much hang around that 90m number until they are discontinued. 100 million is very much out of reach at this point.

Any chance Sony will refresh the PS3 at this point? Or is the latest Super Slim model likely to be the final revision?

Well Sony generated about $3.5 billion in game software sales for calendar year 2014.

That is from their financial report.

In fact Sony generated more revenue from PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4 hardware sales than they did software sales, digital sales, accessory sales and portable console sales.

I'll have a look through some other market research reports later to see if I can find break downs for MS.

Thanks. Surprised the console hardware sales make up for such a large proportion of their overall sales, for some reason I've thought the hardware/software ratio was closer to 50/50

fakiTaf.jpg

Sony essentially saved gaming this gen, they kept the enthusiasm and fever for new consoles at a maximum ever since the PS4 reveal, imagine a 3rd bombing/lukewarm received console. Traditional gaming as we know it would've collapsed. The huge software droughts the last 2 years make me question whether most publishers were slowly abandoning consoles, especially with the advent of mobile gaming, but then saw the massive sales and scrambled to up port some last gen games in the meantime. 2013/2014 was a turning point whether to continue with this console business or not, lots of games were greenlit then, and it shows. Games with ~3-4 year dev time are finally coming out in droves.

Europe also. Especially in territories like France I believe.

There might be an argument to be made about how strong Nintendo's WW appeal is, but to state that they don't have the WW appeal Sony do is flat out wrong.

Is the Wiki sales for Nintendo consoles incorrect? Because for the NES and SNES they list 8m units for both consoles in "Other", which would be everywhere aside from Japan and the US. And it lists the N64 at 6m and GC at 4m. If those are correct then Nintendo as a console brand isn't strong in Europe.

QaaQer

If anything, you're really describing what Nintendo did. Sony is still struggling as far as compelling exclusive content goes.

Is the Nintendo home console style of software all that popular outside of JPN? Does the that particular artstyle and presentation appeal in 2015? -

This is an interesting topic that probably cannot be discussed here if for no other reason then there is most likely no publicly available data; and without that: console wars.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Any chance Sony will refresh the PS3 at this point? Or is the latest Super Slim model likely to be the final revision?

Not at all. At least I don't see it happening.

Sony aren't able to reduce the cost any further, and even if they are it will take significant investment with little reward.

They will continue to sell hardware of PlayStation 3 until it makes sense to discontinue it which I believe will be next year.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Return of the king.

Fully deserved for Sony. They did everything right with the PS4 from the beginning and are only continuing that road as we've seen the past E3.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Be that as it may I'd rather continue my PC nostalgia trip.

Fair enough.

Not at all. At least I don't see it happening.

Sony aren't able to reduce the cost any further, and even if they are it will take significant investment with little reward.

They will continue to sell hardware of PlayStation 3 until it makes sense to discontinue it which I believe will be next year.

Is that because cell being too esoteric and not worth the cost of die shrinking? I think they are still on 40nm to the RSX and Cell, the main cost cutting measures to the super slim being the external casing.

I think even Xbox 360 E model is also on 40nm still.

It seems that architecture was a dead end regardless for shrinking. The cost of going big expensive and hot early on?

ZhugeEX

Banned
Is the Wiki sales for Nintendo consoles incorrect? Because for the NES and SNES they list 8m units for both consoles in "Other", which would be everywhere aside from Japan and the US. And it lists the N64 at 6m and GC at 4m. If those are correct then Nintendo as a console brand isn't strong in Europe.

NES
34.00m - North America
19.35m -Japan
8.56m - Other

SNES

23.35m - North America
17.17m - Japan
8.58m - Other

N64

20.63m - North America
5.54m - Japan
6.75m - Other

Gamecube
12.94m - North America
4.04m - Japan
4.77m - Other

Wii

48.64m - North America
12.75m - Japan
40.16m - Other

Wii U
4.85m - North America
2.48m - Japan
2.68m - Other

LTD

bluedawgs

Banned
NES
34.00m - North America
19.35m -Japan
8.56m - Other

SNES

23.09m - North America
22.59m - Japan
8.58m - Other

N64

20.63m - North America
5.54m - Japan
6.75m - Other

Gamecube
12.94m - North America
4.04m - Japan
4.77m - Other

Wii

48.64m - North America
12.75m - Japan
40.16m - Other

Wii U
4.85m - North America
2.48m - Japan
2.68m - Other

LTD

Holy shit I never knew the SNES did that well in Japan.

Aroll

I understand the comparison here. Does this deal specifically with profit margins or just sales though? Serious question, because sales and profits are two very different things. I can sell 20 million of something, but if I lost money per sale, it's not really helping out without games offsetting it.

That being said, Nintendo is a bit of an interesting comparison. Wii and Wii U sales are dead in comparison. We've known this for awhile. The thread title is a bit of mislead as it's basically "since 2012, Sony sells more) - which we could already figure. Wii sales fell after 2010, 360 had a lead but the PS3's final years had a big push, and Sony is winning the current generation.

However, if we're looking at relative health of the company, should we literally ignore the 3DS and Vita? I understand, this is a game console arms race thread, but Nintendo is a bit of an outlier where their best business has almost always been handheld.

ZhugeEX

Banned
I understand the comparison here. Does this deal specifically with profit margins or just sales though? Serious question, because sales and profits are two very different things. I can sell 20 million of something, but if I lost money per sale, it's not really helping out without games offsetting it.

That being said, Nintendo is a bit of an interesting comparison. Wii and Wii U sales are dead in comparison. We've known this for awhile. The thread title is a bit of mislead as it's basically "since 2012, Sony sells more) - which we could already figure. Wii sales fell after 2010, 360 had a lead but the PS3's final years had a big push, and Sony is winning the current generation.

However, if we're looking at relative health of the company, should we literally ignore the 3DS and Vita? I understand, this is a game console arms race thread, but Nintendo is a bit of an outlier where their best business has almost always been handheld.

Hope the below answers your question -

It's basically to see how much money is being spent on consoles and to which brands that spend is going to. This thread only covers home console sales and does not discuss the state of the handheld industry which is declining rapidly.

Correct.

It is worth pointing out that this thread only covers revenue and not profit. Therefore please keep this in mind when discussing.

The PlayStation 3 for example was sold at a higher cost than the Xbox 360 and so for some years it generated revenue higher than the 360. But it is worth keeping in mind that it made terrible losses during the first half of its lifecycle and only became somewhat profitable in to the second half.

The PlayStation 4 in 2013 was priced to sell at a positive profit, unlike the PS3.

This thread is more to show how much revenue is being generated by home console sales and how well the PlayStation brand is doing compared to others.

...While all of Sonys other divisions failed. PS seems to be Sonys only focus - that and Spiderman. It was as though Sony forgot they sell other products other than the PS.

Sony is a leader in the console space but at a giantic cost to Sony as a company.
Good thing we gamers who like to game on consoles are getting very well taking care of from Sony with the PS4.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
If anything, you're really describing what Nintendo did. Sony is still struggling as far as compelling exclusive content goes.
This is GAF, I'm already dead aren't I?

I would argue Sony just had that right place right time with the PS3/360 lasting far too long, good marketing push, and Xbox One mismanaging their reveal.

Well, I reject the premise, but you've added the word "exclusive" there for absolutely no reason. There's a ton of compelling software on the PS4. The best selling games are not exclusive and non-exclusive games are what are driving hardware sales. This has been true for at least five years.

We're 2 years from the Xbox One reveal, and almost a year with the Xbox One being cheaper than the PS4. The mass market is not that attuned to press conferences and they certainly don't care about two year old news. The Xbox One remains very competitive in North America, indicating that nobody gives a shit about the press conference from two years ago. The reality is just that no one outside of two markets cares much about Xbox as a brand. That's not to say the console can't have great software and good sales overall.

Griss

This is GAF, I'm already dead aren't I?

I would argue Sony just had that right place right time with the PS3/360 lasting far too long, good marketing push, and Xbox One mismanaging their reveal.

Who said anything about exclusives? It was always going to be Fifa, CoD, Ass Creed and the rest that sold consoles, which Sony knew and was exactly what happened. They built the 'Best 3rd party box' and won a flawless victory. A victory the 360 won for the exact same reason over the PS3 until PS3 exclusives started differentiating the system and MS started messing up the messaging with Kinect.

Nintendo did anything but build the simplest, most powerful machine. They did the exact opposite, one of many reasons they get no 3rd party support, and thus one of the main reasons they fail.

EDIT: Beaten by a mod I no longer recognise

Vashetti

Banned
Is that because cell being too esoteric and not worth the cost of die shrinking? I think they are still on 40nm to the RSX and Cell, the main cost cutting measures to the super slim being the external casing.

I think even Xbox 360 E model is also on 40nm still.

It seems that architecture was a dead end regardless for shrinking. The cost of going big expensive and hot early on?

PS3's RSX may be 28nm in the latest Super Slim models

Sakujou

Banned
what about 2008?
and wow, why was the ps4/3 so good(in 2014)???
i mean revenue is something different, but when i remember back then everyone got a wii, while these days i see a lot of xboys getting a ps4, but none of the "wii" people are hooked to the idea of an ps4. on the other hand, maybe those people were simply the new generation who are now 12-18 interested in "mature" videogames.

anyway, congratz to sony, for whatever they have done. i still dont see a reason why sony only should be the winner of this consolewar. there are plenty or remakes and multigames, i dont see a reason to favour a ps4 over a xbone.

Grief.exe

You're not dead, you're just out of touch.

The hand-wringing and obsession over exclusives on communities like GAF, System Wars, etc. doesn't mean anything to tens of millions of people in the real world who are buying a console as their primary gaming device.

That guy was right. The software is selling the PS4, it is just third party titles like FIFA, COD, and Battlefield.

Well, I reject the premise, but you've added the word "exclusive" there for absolutely no reason. There's a ton of compelling software on the PS4. The best selling games are not exclusive and non-exclusive games are what are driving hardware sales. This has been true for at least five years.

We're 2 years from the Xbox One reveal, and almost a year with the Xbox One being cheaper than the PS4. The mass market is not that attuned to press conferences and they certainly don't care about two year old news. The Xbox One remains very competitive in North America, indicating that nobody gives a shit about the press conference from two years ago. The reality is just that no one outside of two markets cares much about Xbox as a brand. That's not to say the console can't have great software and good sales overall.

Who said anything about exclusives? It was always going to be Fifa, CoD, Ass Creed and the rest that sold consoles, which Sony knew and was exactly what happened. They built the 'Best 3rd party box' and won a flawless victory. A victory the 360 won for the exact same reason over the PS3 until PS3 exclusives started differentiating the system and MS started messing up the messaging with Kinect.

Nintendo did anything but build the simplest, most powerful machine. They did the exact opposite, one of many reasons they get no 3rd party support, and thus one of the main reasons they fail.

EDIT: Beaten by a mod I no longer recognise

I see what you guys are saying, the mainstream helped perpetuate the console to the lead its currently holding.

So is it purely Fifa, Madden, Call of Duty, etc? Because if you look at Microsoft's output, it seems more mainstream oriented than Sony IE Masterchief collection, Halo 5, Gears of War, EA Vault, etc.

Well...except this guy ;)

You'd also be wrong considering a lot of people bought their PS4's on the assumption of exclusive Japanese support the other consoles would not get, which is definitely the case.

kswiston

19.60m - PlayStation
22.00m - PlayStation 2
10.30m - PlayStation 3
1.70m - PlayStation 4

I wonder what a realistic endpoint is for the PS4 in Japan in light of how it is selling and what we know about the next two years' releases. My gut says 6M or so. Where was PS3 at the same point in its life?

Aroll

Hope the below answers your question -

It's basically to see how much money is being spent on consoles and to which brands that spend is going to. This thread only covers home console sales and does not discuss the state of the handheld industry which is declining rapidly.

Sure, I understand the handheld not being including, but between 2012 and 2014, the handheld sold something like 40 million units, outpacing everything else. Declining? Sure, but it's still a pretty big market (especially since one company basically owns it). I mean, outside of the Wii, Nintendo hasn't had a massive console presence since what, the SNES? I guess the N64 did sell really well in the US, but it had a big drop off everywhere else.

ZhugeEX

Banned
I wonder what a realistic endpoint is for the PS4 in Japan in light of how it is selling and what we know about the next two years' releases. My gut says 6M or so. Where was PS3 at the same point in its life?

PS3 was at 2.1 million. (Higher price)

PS2 was 6.1 million (lower price)

PS1 was 2.7 million (lower price)

PlayStation 4 has currently sold through 1.7 million units after 19 months on the market in Japan.

Why can't we ban people for blatant inflammatory fanboyism? Ruins so many topics...
I actually appreciate the blatant fanboyism more so then the ones who try to hide it behind the im a true gamer I own all platforms BS. Everyone has there preferences and that's fine. Sure the poster has a one track mind when it comes to gaming regarding his favorite and least favorite console but he shouldn't be punished for it.

19.60m - PlayStation
22.00m - PlayStation 2
10.30m - PlayStation 3
1.70m - PlayStation 4

thanks

anyone living (or having lived) in japan have an idea why the market dropped off so rapidly?

I know about the strength of mobile and handheld when on commute and in school etc. but that can't be the only reason.

I also often hear lack of space which supposedly influenced the Wii U and Off TV play.

I don't know these reasons are just hard for me to grasp.

My only connection to japan are LNs and mangas and these issues rarely make it into them, the MCs are usually living in spacey houses or apartments have a TV and/or PC in their room and a (used to be PS3) PS4 mostly.

bluedawgs

Banned

The PS3 at the same point of it's life is 2.05 million while the PS4 is at 1.7 million. Expect the PS4 to surpass it by January 2016. PS4 will sell 1.2+ million while PS3 only managed 980,000 in 2008.

By the way I know you wanted Zhuge's opinion not mine but I like Japan sales talk so I inserted myself in

Sakujou

Banned
You'd also be wrong considering a lot of people bought their PS4's on the assumption of exclusive Japanese support the other consoles would not get, which is definitely the case.

lol.
its a minority who wants japanese games.

bigger titles like ff and kh will come to xbone too.

its simply the reputation of ms, why people still dont buy the system.

while the xbone and back then the 360 were way cheaper compared to the ps3/4 people still do prefer the playstation brand over the ms console. most people dont give a fuck about graphical prowess, these people are also a minority-.-

kswiston

PS3 was at 2.1 million. (Higher price)

PS2 was 6.1 million (lower price)

PS1 was 2.7 million (lower price)

PlayStation 4 has currently sold through 1.7 million units after 19 months on the market in Japan.

So 6M is reasonable if the PS4 sees a similar sales boost when bigger titles (that Japanese gamers care about) start dropping. If PS4 ends up getting the same extended lifespan that PS3 got, maybe it will get closer to the PS3 than that. Those PS3-PS4 cross gen releases will have to finally stop at some point.

The PS3 at the same point of it's life is 2.05 million while the PS4 is at 1.7 million. Expect the PS4 to surpass it by January 2016. PS4 will sell 1.2+ million while PS3 only managed 980,000 in 2008.

By the way I know you wanted Zhuge's opinion not mine but I like Japan sales talk so I inserted myself in

Thanks. All opinions are welcome :)

It's understandable why we are still getting them, but I wonder how PS4 hardware sales would look if we didn't have so many cross gen titles. Metal Gear Solid V is a pretty big release, but how many people are going to decide that the PS3 version is good enough? Ditto for Persona 5 and the next Tales game.

ZhugeEX

Banned
thanks

anyone living (or having lived) in japan have an idea why the market dropped off so rapidly?

I know about the strength of mobile and handheld when on commute and in school etc. but that can't be the only reason.

I also often hear lack of space which supposedly influenced the Wii U and Off TV play.

My only connection to japan are LNs and mangas and these issues rarely make it into them, the MCs are usually living in spacey houses or apartments have a TV and/or PC in their room and a (used to be PS3) PS4 mostly.

This interview is one of the reasons why it's going more mobile.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/why-japans-game-industry-is-falling-behind-gamespo/1100-6429675/

As is this blogpost-

https://noplatform.wordpress.com/20...xplains-whats-happening-to-japans-gamesanime/

Sakujou

Banned
thanks

japan and south korea have the fastest internet connection on this planet. playing "online" or on the go was always a thing in those asian countries. its not just the home systems who are dropping, arcades are taking a blow too. its too much of an hassle to go to an arcade or to actually sit down at home in front of the tv, if you can have videogameexperience wherever you are. every major dev has some ports for iOS/android, so there are only the hardcores who are still attached to the dedicated systems...

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Those numbers aren't surprising to me. Nintendo killed support for the Wii far too early and is one of the reasons why people left them. You can't abandon a popular system for two years, launch a new one and be like "hey guys, buy this thing now!!" By that point, you've already killed mindshare.

Sony has ALWAYS been incredibly good at supporting their systems throughout their life, with the sad exception of Vita. They deserve to be doing well.

I agree with this. I mean Sony released 1 major game that they could have held for PS4 only...TLoU. They had quite a few big games that launched on PS3 the same year the PS4 launched.

I dont know if Nintendo killed support too early or overall support and interest just dropped off a cliff. But looking at how the 360 and PS3 are still selling there's no telling when they will get discontinued. And how they sold after the Wii U launched. I remember when some thought the PS3 and 360 would never catch up to the Wii. Even if they both never hit 100 million...them both hitting 90 million+ would be an accomplishment.

But with the Vita...it is still getting games released for it at a decent clip. Thats why I say I dont know if its was Nintendo support, support overall or interest with the Wii.

Top Bottom