• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 firmware 4.50 add Boost Mode for PS4 Pro.

Audioboxer

Delete the Pro patch.

image.php

second time today, avatar/poster combo that keeps on giving

Skux

Do you think this will improve SSD load times? I remember SSD tests with the early PS4 Pro weren't that great and indicated a bottleneck somewhere else in the system.

SerTapTap

How well does it do with prepatched Unity games? Layers of Fear was a mess in the first area

Do you think this will improve SSD load times? I remember SSD tests with the early PS4 Pro weren't that great and indicated a bottleneck somewhere else in the system.

Is the Pro SATA 3?

Asd202

So with boost mode, external HDD support added via firmware and Horizon coming up it's like the perfect time to get the PS4 Pro. I wonder if Sony will market it more now...

Tyaren

Everyone who's able to play The Witcher 3 in Boost Mode: How is the menu (the new one introduced with Blood and Wine)? It was very laggy and slow loading on standard PS4. Did it get a little boost as well? :)

Resident Evil 5: went back and forth between standard and boost and during Boost, the opening walk section with the villagers was a lot smoother. I would need to play more and do more comparisons to say much else, but of that I am 100% certain.

It's still in beta. Expect a big fanfare around the official release.

I don't think so. Maybe the improvements aren't that big and might be not for every game AND it might cause some problems.

They'll probably just mention it and leaveit at that.

Rippa

I'm patiently waiting on a code because I remember signing up for the beta. *crosses fingers*

Can someone who has the beta test Battlefield 4 MP in Beast mode?

Good thing they gave us external hd support on this too because i gotta buy at least 5 games (and counting) now because of this beast mode patch.

ksdixon

Good to know though. Thanks for testing it.

It can already, the drive just needs to be formatted with no extra partitions and files need to be in the appropriate folder.

Oooo, awesome. <Goes reading on internet>
So I just need to make this exFAT and then the PS4's media player will read files off it? (on a usb stick videos work from anywhere, but music files have to specifically be placed inside a music folder)

TalonJH

lol what is this video, it's like 2 minutes of menus and then 10 seconds of him looking at the fucking floor

I don't know why they chose to do it that way. It was the 2nd video we got in the thread of improvements. R6 lets you have a frame counter in the bottom left. You can see it in the video. He looked at the floor to show it jump further up when looking away.

Seik

Banned
I never expected this to happen.

Nice move Sony, makes the PRO a lot more relevant for this factor all by itself.

TalonJH

Oooo, awesome. <Goes reading on internet>
So I just need to make this exFAT and then the PS4's media player will read files off it? (on a usb stick videos work from anywhere, but music files have to specifically be placed inside a music folder)

It should work. You can even play it while in game.

DieH@rd

Banned
There's no reason for the boost mode to make any changes to lod and draw distance. That would need a patch.

Those things would be affected only of the game rendering was fully based on some advanced scheduler that distributed work by looking at how much resources it can access. But I don't think that anyone bothers with things like that.

Wait...... What?
Why would loading times be shorter too with this ????????

Loading means not only moving data from hdd to ram and vram, but also processing a large amount of data and preparing to rendering gameworld. Pro CPU, GPU and RAM speeds are higher than on base PS4, so all that processing is faster. It will not be tremendous boost, but it can be noticeable.

RE5 update: part in ch. 1-1 when there are endless enemies coming prompting you to retreat into the small shed, fps isn't as smooth with numerous enemies on screen at once-- was hoping this would iron that out, but the intro part seems to be a locked 60 and it fluctuates without Boost mode

Top Bottom