• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 firmware 4.50 add Boost Mode for PS4 Pro.

Biggzy

So the justification from Sony for down clocking the pro when running unpatched games was what it was always was: a load of rubbish mostly?

joecanada

It's still in beta. Expect a big fanfare around the official release.

hmmm I'm not sure, Sony has to maintain a line between bragging outright and abandoning us pspoors ;)

Their number one priority seems to be maintaining that ps family like "lets all have fun with the same games"

Personally I think I would come out and say look there's two models a premium and base model just like every other device... play what you want we support both.

I expect them to keep saying it will help "a bit" and let places like DF release vids of way better performance. but we'll see. should be fun to watch.

Traxtech

I tested the final phase of the first boss in furi which used to lag up, as well as the final boss. It's silky smooth with boost mode on, praise the pro

Carn82

So the justification from Sony for down clocking the pro when running unpatched games was what it was always was: a load of rubbish mostly?

Or they needed some time to implement this in a solid way. Or maybe it contains per game basis settings

Toki767

Maybe they saw most developers didn't want to do a Pro patch so they did a system level one themselves.

DieH@rd

Banned

Maybe they did not have the mode ready, or did not want to risk things at the launch. Bad PR at launch is much worse than firmware update reactions 6 months later.

x3sphere

Damn I should've signed up for the beta earlier. Just did but not sure if I missed the window or are they still sending out invites.

Withnail

Someone said Soma crashes in Boost Mode so it's not like they were lying about compatibility problems. But they do seem to be pretty rare which is probably why Sony decided to provide the option after all.

jmaine_ph

To be honest I think Sony wanted to wait until the devs got a hang of the Pro and how Patches work and once that happened they drop this. This might've made devs not go back to old games and touch them up with a pro patch.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

No, it's entirely valid. They downclock it to ensure compatibility with games. This boost mode may have unwanted side effects in some games, so it's an optional thing. Also it may not have been available at the time, and they needed time to test a range of older games to see just how widespread issues were

Biggzy

Someone said Soma crashes in Boost Mode so it's not like they were lying about compatibility problems. But they do seem to be pretty rare which is probably why Sony decided to provide the option after all.

They should have just allowed players to activate it at their own discretion from the beginning rather than wait for developers to patch support as it will only be a select few games that encounter compatibility issues.

Still, it is good that it arrived quickly, but I just feel Sony were being too paternalistic.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual

No, they still can't guarantee that every game will run without issues.

I mean, you could assume that multiplatform games (especially if they're on pc too), should not have any problems with different clocks.

But excluse (especially if they're using custom enginges) might be tailored to specific clocks/timings and might run into bugs.

Top Bottom