• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 firmware 4.50 add Boost Mode for PS4 Pro.

juventino

Banned
Dammit, didn't realize I had to opt in to get beta access for firmware updates. I opted in yesterday but I'm worried it's too late.

I never cared about any prior to this one, only reason I want this one is for the Pro Boost mode support, especially since right now I'm replaying Bloodborne and Until Dawn.

Anyone know if they're going to send more codes in NA or have gotten one since yesterday?

We're well into the beta now, very unlikely Sony will send out more codes. With regards to Bloodborne, the improvements are smoother framerates, but nothing much else as Bloodborne's problems are with frame pacing which needs to be fixed by FromSoftware directly.

Blastoise

Banned
So I just purchased AC Unity for $12.

A game I brought at launch for $60 and sold for $10 a month later.

Boost mode will make me poor.

Not looking to upgrade till official release, but one question, are people who weren't invited to the beta downloading it and installing it in their Pro and not getting banned or anything?

Sorry if it's been asked before. Haven't read through all the thread.

thatJohann

Has anyone rolled back their beta firmware? I'm tempted to since my multiplayer games seem to have strange hitches every 20 seconds, but I also have newer firmware on the PSVR so I don't know if I should attempt to roll back or not.

Will I have any issues if I try to downgrade from 4.5 beta 2, to 4.07?

I rolled back to 4.07 with no issues. Then I updated to 4.5 beta again with no issues either. (Needed to use remote play on my Mac last weekend and 4.5 beta breaks remote play).

Has anyone rolled back their beta firmware? I'm tempted to since my multiplayer games seem to have strange hitches every 20 seconds, but I also have newer firmware on the PSVR so I don't know if I should attempt to roll back or not.

I noticed CoD IW has some hitching since 4.5. It's most noticeable on the map Frontier when you die and your body starts floating, it stutters. I don't remember a single stutter on IW before I updated.

Cyborg

Anyone wanting to help me download the beta (without a code) Im in The Netherlands (EU)?

If anyone wants to help me PM me! Would appriciate it much. Thanx guys

I rolled back to 4.07 with no issues. Then I updated to 4.5 beta again with no issues either. (Needed to use remote play on my Mac last weekend and 4.5 beta breaks remote play).
Do you have a PSVR, though? The beta firmware included an update for the headset as well, and I want to make sure i don't mess it up.

I noticed CoD IW has some hitching since 4.5. It's most noticeable on the map Frontier when you die and your body starts floating, it stutters. I don't remember a single stutter on IW before I updated.
Yeah since the update I've encountered hitching in Rocket League (my ping goes from 40 to over 200 every 15-20 seconds), Uncharted 4 (to the point where I'll see weapons someone picked up earlier, and can't pick it up because it's not really there), and Battlefield 1 as well, though I'm able to play that one a little better since there are so many players that it's not too big a deal when everyone skips around every 20 seconds.

Still, don't like the bug.

Anyone wanting to help me download the beta (without a code) Im in The Netherlands (EU)?

If anyone wants to help me PM me! Would appriciate it much. Thanx guys
OK

onQ123

Was on the fence about the pro since I don't own a 4k tv but I picked one up today due mainly to boost mode.

Not directed at you but I find it strange that people who didn't think that the big improvements from Pro enhanced games was worth getting a PS4 Pro for are going out to buy PS4 Pro now for the small enhancements that boost mode is giving some games.

I understand that with boost mode they cover more games now that the pro patches left out but it seem like people are happier about a few FPS than they are about getting better image quality & better FPS.

I guess it's just the feeling you get from knowing the games play better on your hardware without the devs having to do anything.

Ahasverus

Dude some patches gave us some minor visual effects AND worse performance. Excuse us if some of us think the risk is not worth taking.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
So Bloodborne doesn't run much better and still has frame pacing issues. Witcher 3 is a bit more solid. I only saw a couple frames dropped but it runs very well on standard PS4 already.

Other games have a more significant boost but overall it's not as much as I expected. It seems games need to be patched to make any worthwhile difference.

So Bloodborne doesn't run much better and still has frame pacing issues. Witcher 3 is a bit more solid. I only saw a couple frames dropped but it runs very well on standard PS4 already.

Other games have a more significant boost but overall it's not as much as I expected. It seems games need to be patched to make any worthwhile difference.

Tbh, anyone who was expecting much for Bloodborne was deluding themselves (not directed at you).

Both back when people expected a Pro patch for it and now with the boost mode. People going crazy over 2-3 frames in Bloodborne here was hilarious to watch. Such a small change to get excited over.

Fliesen

DF assumes they just gave those games access to the 911Mhz (up from 800 Mhz) upclock of the PS4 pro, not the additional doubling of the compute units, too, for compatibility reasons.
So we'd be looking at a machine that does roughly ~2100 TFlops instead of 1843.

Seems like Sony considered that the best compromise between stability / compatibility and performance gains.

The full 4.2 TFlops can only be accessed by pro patched games.

onQ123

Dude some patches gave us some minor visual effects AND worse performance. Excuse us if some of us think the risk is not worth taking.

Any game that ended up with worse performance was most likely a bug & if it wasn't a bug I'm sure the visual effects wasn't minor.

I don't suppose anyone has an EU/UK code? Desperate to try out Boost Mode on Rainbow 6 Siege and the new PSVR cinema mode options with 3D Blu Rays.

Curufinwe

Not directed at you but I find it strange that people who didn't think that the big improvements from Pro enhanced games was worth getting a PS4 Pro for are going out to buy PS4 Pro now for the small enhancements that boost mode is giving some games.

I understand that with boost mode they cover more games now that the pro patches left out but it seem like people are happier about a few FPS than they are about getting better image quality & better FPS.

I guess it's just the feeling you get from knowing the games play better on your hardware without the devs having to do anything.

It's quite strange.

Has anyone had their Pro pretty much die on them after this update? I'm pretty sure it's my PSU, but the system turns on, then turns off seconds later. Has anyone encountered this? Need to call Sony tomorrow since hesdeadjim.gif

Vashetti

Banned
Has anyone had their Pro pretty much die on them after this update? I'm pretty sure it's my PSU, but the system turns on, then turns off seconds later. Has anyone encountered this? Need to call Sony tomorrow since hesdeadjim.gif

They won't support you if the update is to blame. You agreed to that when signing up to it.

This is completely untrue. There is exactly one game with worse performance on Pro, Skyrim. And its visual upgrade is anything but minor: it has increased foliage quality, and it renders at full native 4K.

(And even that single game may not run worse anymore. Skyrim got a patch a few days ago, and I haven't seen any framerate testing since then.)

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
A little unrelated, but has anyone reported on the differences in Persona 5 between Pro and old?

Diablos

I never got the link after signing up but I don't want to potentially void my warranty. They wouldn't consider "I agree" to be walking away from the warranty so long as you don't actually update to the beta, correct?

I think there are only 3 Pro mode games with issues: Skrim has a worse framerate (but is native 4K), The Last of Us has higher quality shadows but there's a bug where they don't always show, and Mafia 3 has a slightly worse framerate (but higher res, better motion blur, better DOF):

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=226436049

There are more games broken by Boost mode than that, FWIW.

It's crazy that this went into beta without some kind of user-controlled whitelist and/or blacklist functionality. This should not go into production release without it.
I'm assuming that feedback during the beta will inform what they do with it in the production version. I still find it interesting that the official blog posts about the beta didn't even mention Boost mode.

Ahasverus

I think there are only 3 Pro mode games with issues: Skrim has a worse framerate (but is native 4K), The Last of Us has higher quality shadows but there's a bug where they don't always show, and Mafia 3 has a slightly worse framerate (but higher res, better motion blur, better DOF):

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=226436049

There are more games broken by Boost mode than that, FWIW.

This is completely bullshit. There are no games that perform worse (not sure on Skyrim though)

This is completely untrue. There is exactly one game with worse performance on Pro, Skyrim. And its visual upgrade is anything but minor: it has increased foliage quality, and it renders at full native 4K.

(And even that single game may not run worse anymore. Skyrim got a patch a few days ago, and I haven't seen any framerate testing since then.)

Any game that ended up with worse performance was most likely a bug & if it wasn't a bug I'm sure the visual effects wasn't minor.
Fallout runs worse with pro patch than boost.

Top Bottom