• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 firmware 4.50 add Boost Mode for PS4 Pro.

DjRalford

The cooling solution will be designed to sufficently cool the APU when running with everything going full chat, if half the CU's are disabled still then surely they could potentially have boost modes clockspeed clock higher than standard Pro speeds.

I expected Planestside 2, DCUO... to get official PS4 PRO supprot from the devs....
Planetside 2 did get a Pro patch.

What Pro patch did it get?
It does? I did not know. What all is changed?
The framerate is consistently about 15fps higher than on standard PS4.

Can anyone link to the thread that curated a list of all Boost Mode enhanced games?
The video comparison thread is here. I've added a rough list every so often, alongside the great videos multiple people are linking to. Almost all of the enhancements shown by Digital Foundry were already known. Through online research and eyeballing videos, I was even able to estimate the performance gaps pretty well (though some are definitely higher than I thought).

Note that once the firmware becomes official, I will add a detailed list to my Pro enhancement thread. It'll be updated and live alongside the list of patched games.

It seems a few of the members of GAF were right to suspect it was more of the CPU/GPU/RAM being clocked back up, rather than all the compute units being turned back on.
The one challenge to that idea is Rainbow 6 Siege. In Terrorist Hunt, the game has been reported to have--through the fps counter in the game itself--huge increases with Boost mode. We're talking potentially ~30fps or even higher. This would be an extremely big jump to achieve solely through the clockrate change.

That said, I haven't actually seen like-for-like footage showing the precise gap on the same content. And it's also possible the onscreen fps counter is giving roughly-calculated results.

onQ123

The cooling solution will be designed to sufficently cool the APU when running with everything going full chat, if half the CU's are disabled still then surely they could potentially have boost modes clockspeed clock higher than standard Pro speeds.

That would kill the chances of them using the 2nd virtual GPU for whatever they have planned for the 2nd virtual GPU

Uprendering
TraceyBacksOutSlowly.gif

I think we should get a list of the games that run worse or have erros when boost mode is enabled, this is easier and enough to know since most of the games run better with this mode enabled. So to make thing easier is to know the very few games that run in bad shape in order to just avoid enabling that mode for them.

OverQ

I updated to the beta firmware at weekend. I've had an issue this week where my monitor which currently has my PC connected via DVI and PS4 Pro connected via HDMI takes several attempts to switch over to the PS4's HDMI output, it just goes black for a few seconds and then switches back to DVI.

Has anyone else experienced this? I don't recall this happening before the firmware update so I'm thinking it could be causing the issue somehow.

The one challenge to that idea is Rainbow 6 Siege. In Terrorist Hunt, the game has been reported to have--through the fps counter in the game itself--huge increases with Boost mode. We're talking potentially ~30fps or even higher. This would be an extremely big jump to achieve solely through the clockrate change.

That said, I haven't actually seen like-for-like footage showing the precise gap on the same content. And it's also possible the onscreen fps counter is giving roughly-calculated results.
The Terrorist Hunt mode with v-sync disabled runs anywhere from 40 to 90 fps on regular PS4 - with lots of tearing. You can see this for yourself if you own the game, and with boost mode to see the difference. If not, I can make a quick video to show you the difference in like scenarios.

The Terrorist Hunt mode with v-sync disabled runs anywhere from 40 to 90 fps on regular PS4 - with lots of tearing. You can see this for yourself if you own the game, and with boost mode to see the difference. If not, I can make a quick video to show you the difference in like scenarios.
That standard range falls in line with what others have reported. But they've also reported giant gains with Boost mode over that. The lowest number I've seen is 70fps. Are you saying that the floor is actually a lot lower than that? If so, it would be nice to see like-for-like videos, if it's not too much trouble. No hurry on my account.

Can someone hook me up with an 4.50 beta account share ?
Really tired of waiting on email from sony...
Pm me please if u can hook me up!!

finalflame

Any word on how the boost works with Killzone Shadowfall and Warframe? The forgotten jewels need to be remembered!

Can't speak for Warframe, but the Digital Foundry video has a section on KZ: SF, and it helps smooth out the framerate quite a bit.

To the surprise of no one, Fallout 4 Pro Patch fucked up the performance in previous places where Boost mode fixed it (mainly Far Harbor).

petran79

Banned
Why would allowing unpatched games access to some of the better hardware, tax the system more than Pro-enabled software that has full access?

Because the latter have been officially tested and approved (probably). But beta testing is a given on consoles too nowadays. I mean even official games used to cause hardware issues on previous gen consoles. Let alone unofficial patches.

Lets wait and see

the mark

Just bought an external harddrive.

If there's anybody that could send me a beta-key, it would be much appreciated! :)
I'm very much looking forward to have all my games ready to launch on the disk.
Please...anyone?

Because the latter have been officially tested and approved (probably). But beta testing is a given on consoles too nowadays. I mean even official games used to cause hardware issues on previous gen consoles. Let alone unofficial patches.

Lets wait and see
I don't think you understand how this works.

If anything the PS4 Pro enabled games ask more of the system, especially in 4K and high frame rate modes.

Letting normal games use half the GPU cores, CPU, and RAM at their normal speed won't do much.

Mascot

I updated to the beta firmware at weekend. I've had an issue this week where my monitor which currently has my PC connected via DVI and PS4 Pro connected via HDMI takes several attempts to switch over to the PS4's HDMI output, it just goes black for a few seconds and then switches back to DVI.

Has anyone else experienced this? I don't recall this happening before the firmware update so I'm thinking it could be causing the issue somehow.

Has anyone noticed the blank screen for a second or 2 even. Though not connected to the vr breaker box?

I've had the screen going black a couple of times for a second or so when I start a new game, but it then seems to sort itself out.
1080p display fed through an AV amp by HDMI.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

Not really, as you could create local hot spots the cooling system is not as efficient to handle as it should. More CU's means more heat, but spread over a larger surface area.

DBT85

It's not just about cooling. I run my 6700k at 4.7Ghz, I can't turn 2 cores down to 1Ghz and then run the other two at 5Ghz. It just doesn't work.

The chips in these devices will have been speed binned to meet the speed they wanted to hit. There are undoubtedly some that can go higher, but if it can't work for all then it won't happen for any.

Metfanant

It's not just about cooling. I run my 6700k at 4.7Ghz, I can't turn 2 cores down to 1Ghz and then run the other two at 5Ghz. It just doesn't work.

The chips in these devices will have been speed binned to meet the speed they wanted to hit. There are undoubtedly some that can go higher, but if it can't work for all then it won't happen for any.

I think you're missing the point...HALF of the compute units in the GPU are OFF...I don't think anyone is advocating overclocking the GPU...They just would like to see what would happen if Sony allows access to the other half of the GPU...

Apologies if I'm just being dumb, but after doing a search in this thread for Alien Isolation, I've yet to find a concrete answer. Does Boost have any effect on the game? As it stands, it's a pretty solid 30FPS, but terrible aliasing and such. Can't imagine the game jumping much higher in framerates, but maybe load times?

Has anyone rolled back their beta firmware? I'm tempted to since my multiplayer games seem to have strange hitches every 20 seconds, but I also have newer firmware on the PSVR so I don't know if I should attempt to roll back or not.

I got a new OLED 4k TV on Wednesday and the game I'm playing the most is the Witcher 3 thanks to boost mode!

Not only is it much smoother but the gameplay is better now too in subtle ways like the footprints that you have to track load in quicker so I'm not stopping all the time.

This has to go down as one of the best updates ever in my book.

Top Bottom