• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Hardware Troubleshooting / Q&A Thread

hypernima

Banned
This is from a cold boot, but I just called my local sony store and they agreed to replace. But thanks for giving me that tip about initializing, that restored my faith for a while. I'm gonna head out to the store to get the new package.

So I go to the store to get a replacement unit. Got it. It cuts off. Tech says plug into walk jack. I do so. Seems fine, runs update. Doesn't cut off. So I login with update and it freezes. They say its because of the internet with my college. So I turn it off then turn back on. Get on ps store dl some games. Freezes. Turn back on I'm at error report. Turns off again. And again and again. I am so done.

My console is now showing a blank screen, yet the sound works and I can hear my controller working. Just a white line. What should I do?

Try another HDMI port on your TV. and power off your TV, may be a video sync issue. You can also try to enter safemode on on the console, if you get a picture change the resolutionand try again.

inter

So I go to the store to get a replacement unit. Got it. It cuts off. Tech says plug into walk jack. I do so. Seems fine, runs update. Doesn't cut off. So I login with update and it freezes. They say its because of the internet with my college. So I turn it off then turn back on. Get on ps store dl some games. Freezes. Turn back on I'm at error report. Turns off again. And again and again. I am so done.

Your replacement unit is giving you issues too? Sheesh.

panty

and? Did they change the machine?

No, I mean when they contacted amazon and they offered the refund, did they take it. I accepted the offer for the refund and they emailed me a shipment label. I'm wondering if he accepted that and still got this email.

I did not accept any refund. I told them I would wait until I contacted Sony then get back in touch with Amazon regarding a refund/replacement.

Also the Link in the e-mail was basically a form to send them a e-mail through their website.

I have not received a formal offer yet.

ironcreed

Banned

Yeah, this is not isolated. I'll be waiting about a year before I buy one.

Sykotik

I did not accept any refund. I told them I would wait until I contacted Sony then get back in touch with Amazon regarding a refund/replacement.

Also the Link in the e-mail was basically a form to send them a e-mail through their website.

I have not received a formal offer yet.

Okay, thanks for the clarification.

Moze

Banned

Wow

I am not liking this at all.

gazele

Banned

Damn dude, that really sucks, I'm gonna try to get one tomorrow and if that one is broken too...I'd be pissed

ghst

thanks for the laugh

i guess you're the lucky 0.000016.

ironcreed

Banned
A year? lol

Whatever floats your boat.

At least a good few months, which I was doing anyway. I just don't want to take the risk and deal with the headache. We will see how things go, but the guy getting 2 lemons in a row does not inspire much confidence in the build quality right now.

TimFL

What if a few of the bricked consoles (who worked out of the box but failed afterwards) are related to the 1.50 Update? Could be that the 1.50 update bricks something?

Man I'm really on the edge of calling it a day and cancel my pre-order at amazon.de ... I really want a PS4 but if this issue is widespread I don't want to end up with a subpar product that bricks/freezes etc. (I'm from germany so Nov 29th is the day).

hypernima

Banned
Honestly, I did not think launch would be this bad and I had internet issues with my ps3 but they were so minor. For it to just up and shut down before I can even login to my user profile is dumb. I need to get my money back.

Elchele

That sounds like software issue, not hardware.

Rocky

Banned
Curious, of those who ordered from Amazon, roughly what time was yours delivered yesterday?

Mine arrived about 2pm in the afternoon. When I picked it up from the front desk of my building yesterday evening, the shipping box was in pristine condition with no damage or anything. The PS4 was packed in the air extreme packing and a lot of it. It had packing all around it, underneath included.

It was shipped from Amazon's Lexington KY fulfillment center and it works great.

So another update, once again I am able to turn on my system after it is off for a couple hours. I am guessing that the system is overheating.

I also checked where mine was manufactured and its Yantai September.

My PS4 was fine out of the box (delivered by UPS from Amazon at like 8pm last night). Booted up, did the setup, grabbed the firmware, restarted, logged into PSN. Browsed the OS, bought two games and started downloading. Then about 15 min later I noticed the PS4 was off. Weird. It took me a while to get the TV to recognize it again, which it did once it booted in safe mode (no idea how I did it). Then about 10-15 min later, weird bursts of static started to appear on the screen along with wonky buzzing sounds. Then it shut itself off. I managed to get it into safe mode again, and it did the same thing on another TV. Haven't been able to get it to boot up since. Just sits there pulsing that dumb blue light at me, pretending to do something.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
12:01...you think the cold had something to do with it?

Mine came at about 12:30. And I gotta say when I first got my PS4 out of the box I did notice that it felt very cold. Now whether or not this could have anything to do with the problem I have no idea.

Elchele

My PS4 was fine out of the box (delivered by UPS from Amazon at like 8pm last night). Booted up, did the setup, grabbed the firmware, restarted, logged into PSN. Browsed the OS, bought two games and started downloading. Then about 15 min later I noticed the PS4 was off. Weird. It took me a while to get the TV to recognize it again, which it did once it booted in safe mode (no idea how I did it). Then about 10-15 min later, weird bursts of static started to appear on the screen along with wonky buzzing sounds. Then it shut itself off. I managed to get it into safe mode again, and it did the same thing on another TV. Haven't been able to get it to boot up since. Just sits there pulsing that dumb blue light at me, pretending to do something.

That's what worries me, what if more consoles start to die in the next weeks/months?

ironcreed

Banned

Like this guy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZnMsjV79gU

Same thing happened when my 360 got the RRoD, btw. Just sayin.'

Was all happy I got a replacement order put in last night when they had them back in stock. Just got an email saying they are back-ordered and that I can go fuck myself (contact Sony).

Why the fuck were you selling them last night if they're back-ordered? I find it hard to believe that everyone who ordered last night are being told they're sold out and having their orders cancelled.

ironcreed

Banned
Mine was more quick bursts, all looking different and with different intensity, like something out of a horror movie. Also, it was just idling on the menu, not even playing a game.

Don't know what to tell you, man. Just that I'm sorry and I hope all affected gets this sorted out. Hopefully things will smooth over in a few days.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Strange issue I'm having with the wifi not noticing the router. Its happened twice on 2 different consoles in my house, but everything goes fine once the console is restarted or you wait a while. It's not a wifi card issue, because otherwise everythings been fine, it's only on initial setup or coming out of standby.

f0nz0

So I just had my ps4 delivered, still in the box..

Could someone give me cliffs on how I should approach setting this guy up

I have to be completely honest, that HDMI socket is cheap as hell. I am starting to see how they met the price point.

I was super gentle with it though, slid my non cheap most expensive HDMI cable in there niiiiice and slow. I have had zero issues.

Sexual innuendos aside my advice to anyone is just be sooooooo gentle with that female connection.

So I just had my ps4 delivered, still in the box..

Could someone give me cliffs on how I should approach setting this guy up

Just posted this but my best advice is be ever so gentle with that HDMI connection, that socket is so cheaply made you can bunk it up if you are not careful. Other than that I did have to make my router do mixed mhz for it to be recognized.

I have not had an issue since though.

I have to be completely honest, that HDMI socket is cheap as hell. I am starting to see how they met the price point.

I was super gentle with it though, slid my non cheap most expensive HDMI cable in there niiiiice and slow. I have had zero issues.

Sexual innuendos aside my advice to anyone is just be sooooooo gentle with that female connection.

Yes they definitely went cheap with some parts, hdmi, shell looks a bit cheap also, wonder what else?

Kovet

anyone know how i can factory reset the ps4? that means going back to firmware 1.0

i wont be able to play psn but atleast i can just run through the campaign ;/

params7

Banned
This is happening to me too. I simply turned down the volume on my TV (HDMI), but it was definitely coming through both the HDMI and Optical ports despite my output being set on Optical.

After a little more thought, I think its just bad sound cards which is leaking echo/audio to the HDMI port.

Fucking sony what are you doing this launch.

A big driver of the OS/PSN issues at the moment is how networked the PS4 OS is. Apparently every tile on your library has some online component that causes a server call when you just highlight it. This leads to an enormous strain on the servers dedicated to the UI and causes stability issues if it fails. It's also why updating your firmware from safe mode is the way to go - there's no UI making other server calls in the background potentially corrupting your installation. I'm no tech expert but that definitely fits the profile of the majority of issues people have been having. If anybody still has issues and can get it to safe mode, install the update from there and see if that fixes everything. My PS4 has been rock solid since I did. If anybody's having issues while the system is running, try disabling the network unless you need it.

Marvel

could never
I'm actually flabbergasted that Sony have fucked up a HDMI port, they're sooo good with hardware. How did that happen?

That reminds me I have to complain to UPS. They'll probably laugh it off but still.

UPS arrive at my apartment and drops off package at the door. If no one is home they are suppose to leave it with the leasing office. I noted it with Amazon and with UPS My Choice.

Someone could have easily swiped it. I have no idea how long it was sitting there. I wasn't going to be home for over 4 hours. I eventually get a email stating it's been delivered. I call the leasing office they say nope, No package.

I ask them to see if by chance there is anything at my door. They check and package is there. They bring back to the office. Good thing they did as the packing was flimsy and it would have probably ruined the PS4. (Considering it wasn't DOA)

TimFL

Also did we talk about that Foxconn rumor yet? That one chinese factory (where A LOT of the broken PS4s come from) has apparently bricked consoles on purpose due to bad work environment/salary issues etc?

I don't even want to imagine what happens if that turns out true.

Top Bottom