• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Hardware Troubleshooting / Q&A Thread

Mr. Helios

Neo Member
Anyone else having this issue?

In my game library, it shows all my games but once I click on one there is no infor or picture for the game I clicked on. I also cant seem to install some games.

My whole "media" bar or whatever is all sorts of jacked up. Sometime I get sub-info when a game is highlighted and sometimes I don't. And when I do, I can't even select the options...

When you are in standby mode (orange LED), the system is in one of two power states: A) Deep Sleep - 10W power consumption, you can't hear the hard drive or fan B) Light Sleep - 70W power consumption. You will only be in this state if the system is downloading something while in standby (a patch/update). You will hear the hard drive and fan while it does the download. When the download is finished, it automatically goes into Deep Sleep.

Standby mode has three important features:
1) It will charge a controller that's plugged in
2) It will automatically wake up (Light Sleep) to download any patch/update and then go back to Deep Sleep.
3) Resume from Standby is faster than a cold boot from a Power Off.

Thanks for filling me in.

Makes sense as I queued up that 22 Gig free-to-play DC game for download.
Only caveat is that even in "deep sleep" (after download conclusion), I can hear the hard drive and fan(s)...

anybody here has any audio device connected to ps4's optical out? If so can you confirm if you select the optical out option in audio settings, the ps4 disables audio through HDMI?

I'm having an issue where its outputting audio to both HDMI and Optical out no matter what audio option I select. Other people seem to be having it too:

http://community.us.playstation.com...h-HDMI-and-Optical-out/m-p/42148983#U42148983

Just want to make sure if it actually is working fine for others, or if this is a firmware issue.
This is happening to me too. I simply turned down the volume on my TV (HDMI), but it was definitely coming through both the HDMI and Optical ports despite my output being set on Optical.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
Can you describe exactly how you got safe mode working? You heard 2 beeps? But it turned off?

Mine only does one beep and then turns off

Sorry just saw this.

Turn on the console - wait you see the white light, then hold the power button. You should hear one beep right away, then a second beep a little while later.

Aesthet1c

I had my playstation lock up during Netflix this morning. I had no idea what to do, I held down the power button but nothing happened. It was like a complete hard lock. I had no choice but to unplug it (bad idea I know). Luckily it came back up, but when I went back into netflix the PS4 just crashed and shut off.

I think I'll just uninstall/reinstall Netflix, and hopefully that resovles it, but It sucks experiencing lock ups this early.

golem

One thing Ive noticed is that the capacitors seem to hold charge for a long time after unplugging the device from the wall. When I unplugged my PS4 to throw in the SSD hitting the power button accidentally would still make it go beep a good maybe 20-30 seconds after it being unplugged. I waited until the charge went away until i started fiddling with the hard drive in the console.

One thing Ive noticed is that the capacitors seem to hold charge for a long time after unplugging the device from the wall. When I unplugged my PS4 to throw in the SSD hitting the power button accidentally would still make it go beep a good maybe 20-30 seconds after it being unplugged. I waited until the charge went away until i started fiddling with the hard drive in the console.

After you unplug it try to turn it on. That will usually dissipate the Caps.

inter

If anyone who ordered from Amazon is too impatient like me to wait on Sony to fix their system, it sounds like Gamestop is going to be releasing their pre-orders tomorrow morning.

Cyborg

Guys, hello from Europe.
Is this a serious problem for PS4 or is this just normal for a new launch? How big is the problem?

Pain

Banned
Thanks for filling me in.

Makes sense as I queued up that 22 Gig free-to-play DC game for download.
Only caveat is that even in "deep sleep" (after download conclusion), I can hear the hard drive and fan(s)...
Is it all the time?
My PS3 sometimes makes noises while its off too, sometimes.

Sykotik

If anyone who ordered from Amazon is too impatient like me to wait on Sony to fix their system, it sounds like Gamestop is going to be releasing their pre-orders tomorrow morning.

As in, the pre-orders that haven't been picked up are going to be sold?

Kovet

ive redownloaded BF4 3 times and each time the 2nd mission just wont load. is my disc scratched? i cant tell if im hearing the disc tray or the laser but it sounds like its starting up then 2 seconds later shutting down, except its doing this ad nauseum. is my ps4 defective?

My whole "media" bar or whatever is all sorts of jacked up. Sometime I get sub-info when a game is highlighted and sometimes I don't. And when I do, I can't even select the options...

That is purely the PSN acting up due to severs being bogged down. It seems they can dynamically shut off certain features when needed. They're coming and going by the hour right now.

Woomstick

Neo Member
Just had mine delivered. Pulled the system out and instantly heard stuff rattling around inside the machine itself. Pulled the hard drive cover off and didn't find anything. I booted up the system, updated everything just fine and put in Killzone only for the drive to make a bunch of horrible sounds and for the system to say "Unrecognized disc." This was an Amazon unit I ordered on Friday.

Anyone else have anything similar? I don't know if I should contact Sony or Amazon about getting this resolved.

Just had mine delivered. Pulled the system out and instantly heard stuff rattling around inside the machine itself. Pulled the hard drive cover off and didn't find anything. I booted up the system, updated everything just fine and put in Killzone only for the drive to make a bunch of horrible sounds and for the system to say "Unrecognized disc." This was an Amazon unit I ordered on Friday.

Anyone else have anything similar? I don't know if I should contact Sony or Amazon about getting this resolved.

Good luck contacting Sony. I've been on hold for an hour and a half.

Eggbok

how do you find out where it was manufactured?

Bottom of your PS4 at the bottom, this is mine. Dead on arrival.
From Amazon.
jJl8MFpW8F4XA.jpeg

JABEE

My console is now showing a blank screen, yet the sound works and I can hear my controller working. Just a white line. What should I do?

Kovet

what color should the ps4 led be? blue? i realized that its only blue when i turn it on but once i hit the xmb it goes white and stays white all throughout my gaming sessions

inter

I just talked to my Gamestop. They said they are releasing them, but not until 9PM tomorrow.

Edit: And this seems to be common knowledge. I doubt I can get one.

Hmm, one told me that they "might have some tomorrow" and the other said "to get here really early tomorrow morning."

I'll be up either way and it's not far from me, so I'll probably try my luck.

what color should the ps4 led be? blue? i realized that its only blue when i turn it on but once i hit the xmb it goes white and stays white all throughout my gaming sessions

that's how it's suppose to be while on. pulse blue at start, stays white when powered on.

orange when you go to stand by

blinks white before powering off.

I have a mild problem here but my PS4 won't download anything now. It goes to the notifications menu when I try to download something and it's never added to the queue.

I'm tempted to drive to the Sony store at American as it's 10-15 mins away with my non-functioning Amazon unit.

Also I contacted Amazon last night and they said they could offer a refund but not a replacement as they don't have it in stock.

I got the following e-mail today:

b73wjGi.png

I'm tempted to drive to the Sony store at American as it's 10-15 mins away with my non-functioning Amazon unit.

Also I contacted Amazon last night and they said they could offer a refund but not a replacement as they don't have it in stock.

I got the following e-mail today:

b73wjGi.png

Looks like the do have replacements. I would follow up on that deal, for sure.

I know for people who have issues with ones from Best Buy, they already started their Holiday Return Policy, so you have until (I think) the middle of January to return. I know its sometime in January.

Sykotik

That email says they WILL replace it. It doesn't talk about a refund.

No, I mean when they contacted amazon and they offered the refund, did they take it. I accepted the offer for the refund and they emailed me a shipment label. I'm wondering if he accepted that and still got this email.

Top Bottom