• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"PS4 is like a 5 years old PC and it’s really holding developers back"

Status
Not open for further replies.

McDougles

This author also brought us great gems such as

"Xbox Cheif Phil Spencer says company won’t make profit on Xbox One X console sales"

and

"Is Microsoft laughing at Sony right now? Are people in Sony worried because of Xbox One X?"

and

"MICROSOFT and SEGA teamed up: GAME OVER for the competition"

Disagree. I like Josef Feres but he's technically inept.

"Xbox Cheif Phil Spencer says company won’t make profit on Xbox One X console sales"

and

"Is Microsoft laughing at Sony right now? Are people in Sony worried because of Xbox One X?"

and

Damn

That's funny because you're making the game for PC. I've seen people on here rocking 500-600 level GTX cards. Let's see what your system requirements are.

13ruce

Banned
Comparing console power to pc never made sense they are instantly behind PC after release or a few months after.

see5harp

I honestly don't believe power has anything to do with the type of game you can make. Developers choose to do certain things with their games based on budgets and a lot of other things completely secondary to the power of the system.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
OP, do you work for techstunt?
This level of "journalism" is what you'd expect at an elementary school.

Fergie

Banned
Weirdly written article. Wouldn't it make sense to actually source it from Engadget OP?

I'm sure this thread will be great.

and

and

OP isn't being slick here. 💀

Aside from that, Sony has proven more than one time that even though their hardware might be much weaker than a PC, that their games still look better than most, if not all games that have been released on PC so far.

Because it's the developers determining the quality of their games and Sony's own studios are among the best in the industry to get the most out of their hardware.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
No shit. It is a cheap box so you are gonna get cheap parts.

Stating the obvious isnt helping anybody.

As mentioned, console gaming has been around for decades already. I dont think there is really an excuse for not understanding what home consoles are at this stage.

Nesther

We've been hearing this for 20+ years. Not sure why developers keep getting asked. We already know the answer.

Seriously it's the same thing over and over again, every gen. If consoles would keep up as much as this dev wishes for than we'd only have a fraction of the current console install base due to cost, meaning they'd have to make due with far less software sales, which I doubt him nor EA wants.

It's easy to just shout "consoles are too weak!", because what's a sensible alternative?

LoudCore

Neo Member
This is mentioned nearly every console generation. Consoles are usually ahead of PCs visually for like the first year they're launched (not faster than PCs, just lots of graphical tech) then the "underpowered" complaints set in from devs. Tech since 2013 has advanced quite a bit.

Give it about another 2/3 years then the next generation of consoles will be announce to start the cycle over again.

Kolibri

If a console's power is holding a developer back form making an enjoyable game, then they are probably a shit developer.

Elandyll

Banned
I went to the original Engadget article and... I don't see where the Pro is referenced?

He seems to be talking about the current gen of consoles they are working on (PS4 being the defacto leader atm, and he points to the PS4 nearby), and he laments they are nowhere near as powerful as current PC gaming rigs.

So... Massive clickbait?

Caayn

The CPU certainly isn't any better than a five year old mid range CPU and the total memory bandwidth could be better.

and

and

This should be added to the OP.
A 5yr old is running this site

dr guildo

JDSw1V1.gif

But lol !!!!!

Trunx28

Going 25 years into the past now .. "The SNES is not as strong as you think" .. This is why it's a CONSOLE, dude. It has to be reasonable priced and strong enough to last 4-6 years.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I went to the original Engadget article and... I don't see where the Pro is referenced?

He seems to be talking about the current gen of consoles they are working on (PS4 being the defacto leader atm, and he points to the PS4 nearby), and he laments they are nowhere near as powerful as current PC gaming rigs.

So... Massive clickbait?

All signs point to yes.

v

"Xbox Cheif Phil Spencer says company won't make profit on Xbox One X console sales"

and

and

marrec

Banned
OP, do you work for techstunt?
This level of "journalism" is what you'd expect at an elementary school.

The more I read from this "author" the more I'm convinced it's actually an AI that's sussing out how to write incendiary fake news articles.

Go little AI go!

Kaako

Felium Defensor

"Xbox Cheif Phil Spencer says company won't make profit on Xbox One X console sales"

and

and

Hahahaha that credibility.

Edit:
The more I read from this "author" the more I'm convinced it's actually an AI that's sussing out how to write incendiary fake news articles.

Go little AI go!
Haha this would be pretty hilarious. AI machine learning penetrating consoles wars.

joe_zazen

People only wanting to spend 2-400 USD every 5 years to play frivolous games is what holds developers back. Selfish customers not thinking about the QOL of developers and their ability to achieve their visions.

Well no shit.

Consoles always gonna be years older than a current high-end PC.

and

and

Holy shit.

Mijdax

Banned
Because it's the developers determining the quality of their games and Sony's own studios are among the best in the industry to get the most out of their hardware.

Sure but sony and nintendo prove that good looking games dont need titanX super nvidia gpu for 9999999999€ etc.

daveo42

Banned
The original Engadget article is talking about an OG PS4, not a Pro. No idea where techstunt inferred that from.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/06/11/the-passion-behind-the-prison-break-in-a-way-out/

Also, weird comment considering their game is also meant to come out on an even weaker OG Xbox 1 as well.

Yeah, while it points towards the base PS4, the comment is still weird when you take into account the need to port it to the One. Plus, as others have said, you'll never get console to PC parity due to cost, meaning you either make your game scalable to work on low and high end platforms, you don't and spend extra time reworking your game for older hardware, or you ignore console ports all together.

Lucifon

What kind of point is he trying to make here?

Yes, obviously "if consoles were as powerful as PCs are today, you would see all different games" but, that will *literally* never happen.

Like, never ever never.

Yeah I'm not too sure... if consoles were cheap and as powerful as a £1000 PC that'd be great, but it won't happen. They have to hit a pricepoint that matches price vs performance.

MADGAME

Seems like it should be obvious to include in the OP who's mouth uttered that quote for credibility purposes.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Dev likely bit off a bit more than he could chew with his split-screen cinematic experience idea. I appreciate the creativity, though.

I don't know if this whole initiative of trying to close the console and high-end PC gap is going to be a good thing for devs and their bottom lines.

Sephzilla

r9H0UaO.gif

....consoles have always been less powerful than PCs and I think we're about a decade or so past the point where we can definitively say that it isn't hurting the industry at all

Kieli

Go little AI go!

Man, if neural networks have gotten to this point, we've reached the point of AI singularity. Humanity is doomed.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The article is poorly written, their math for the tech numbers is all wrong, and they don't even understand what the devs are getting at. It focuses on GPU when CPU is the real area devs want improvement in.

HeatBoost

If consoles were as powerful as PCs are today, you would see all different games.

And if fish were birds, maybe they could fly better

There's a very good reason consoles are not current-edge or cutting edge PCs, and if you think that reason is bullshit and faulty, then put your money where your mouth is. Make a cutting edge game (in this case specifically, one that wouldn't run on a vanilla Xbox One, for instance) that only runs on the slickest machines.

Either you have faith in the financial viability of your grand technocratic vision of post-next-level game development...

Or you shut up and make money with affordable tech like everyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom