• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"PS4 is like a 5 years old PC and it’s really holding developers back"

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMerc

even though the argument is dumb, most people in this thread seem to making all the wrong rebuttals and asking the wrong questions anyway imo --maybe because the majority of you actually still care about 'bleeding edge horsepower' in your home consoles.
if this is the case, my question to you is when did you start home console' gaming?

the correct answer is "who cares".
seriously. a home consoles' task is to be powerful enough to sustain game development for as long as they can, until saturation sets in & the market demands a follow up. they were never meant to 'compete' with the PC.
This concept only seems to confuse many of you too and this is because in the ps2/gcn/xbox generation, many primarily PC developers started migrating to home consoles and began their process of proliferation amongst home console gamers -thus 'mixing' the expectation of a home console with that of a PC.

I'm confident game developers & publishers who were 'born' on home console development don't give a fuck that the ps4 is not as powerful as current PC. would they like it if they were? sure why not, but it's not necessary, and it's not the point of a home console. the ps4 or the xb1 is not holding developers back. developers aren't forced to make games on it if they have any real 'moral' objection to it, and they should focus more on being creative with what they have as opposed to complaining about what they don't have.
if you don't like it, maybe you should primarily develop/game on PC's instead and try to philosophise on why the PC market today is a shadow of what it was during its height in the 90's, and what you did to curb this trend if anything at all.

marrec

Banned
Anyway, as to the original Engadget article, I'm fuckin shocked that a 3.5 year old console is like a 5 year old PC.

This is my shocked face.

-_-

jstripes

Banned
Said every developer ever developing for a console mid-cycle in the 21st century.

If you don't like developing for consoles then don't develop for consoles.

whats holding developers back, is having to eat

same as whats holding back the writers of these articles

if we could solve that

things would be very different

kiguel182

I don't want to keep upgrading stuff and have developers having to constantly swift hardware. It's impractical.

Shorter console cycles isn't bad but they can't be super expensive and you can make all kinds of games with the power they have right now anyway.

I know consoles are the Lowest common denominator but without them, would games really be much more advanced? I mean, lots of people have old PCs out there right?

amdb00mer

My biggest question about half step systems is how do we push the generation further if games are mandated to run on base model systems?

I think more developers will take a PC approach with preset settings. I have mentioned this before in other threads.

X1X = High to Ultra settings (with higher resolutions)
PS4 Pro = Med to High settings (with higher resolutions)
PS4 = Low to Med (with dynamic resolutions and some 1080p games)
X1S/X1 = Low to Med (with low resolutions and dynamic resolutions)

I know these may not be spot on, but you get the idea. The systems are basically x86 PCs in a console form factor.

MadMod

I'd also argue that in some way consoles are holding back developers costs from being astronomical. Imagine endless graphic settings that everyone would have to compete for every year, consoles in a way are giving smaller devs time to catch up and compete, usually why a lot of great indie's always appear near the end of a consoles life. Just a thought.

The reality is that there is only a select few developers truly pushing today's hardware, and I'd argue those developers have not truly tapped our current hardware to its limits. The current state of the industry is that only a handful of B tier developers and publishers survived the transition from PS360 development. Development costs have more than doubled and save from a lucky few developer or first party developers funded by the mothership, it's a little far fetched to daydream about more powerful hardware when only 30% of developers can honestly push the current hardware to its limits.

KORNdoggy

well this is fucking captain obvious statement of the decade isn't it.

if all consoles had i9 CPU's 64 gig of ram and 3 titans running in SLI games would look better you say? i'm shocked! lol

meerak

Uh...

Probably 90% of all PCs are not current.

You could wipe consoles from the face of the galaxy and find yourself in the same position.

Astral Dog

Its mostly the CPU, has like 6 🐆🐆🐆🐆🐆🐆

They promised GPGPU would make up for it but it was all a big joke

Camwi

Did a 12 year old write this?

Jesus, that's hard to read.

BzRaP6YCYAEmtGD.jpg

Hey developer, PS4 was released in 2013, specs probably set late 2012 or early 2013. So PS4, tech wise is 3.5-4 years old. So yeah, it's close to 5 years old. And?

MadMod

The reality is that there is only a select few developers truly pushing today's hardware, and I'd argue those developers have not truly tapped our current hardware to its limits. The current state of the industry is that only a handful of B tier developers and publishers survived the transition from PS360 development. Development costs have more than doubled and save from a lucky few developer or first party developers funded by the mothership, it's a little far fetched to daydream about more powerful hardware when only 30% of developers can honestly push the current hardware to its limits.

This was sort of what I was getting at. A lot of developers can barely even afford to create games for this gen.

sphinx

the piano man
there hasn't been a single generation where this has not been the case.

compare SNES/GEN to computers then, compare PS1/N64 to computers in the mid late 90's etc etc.

when will devs understand that most people dont want to buy separate parts to create an awesome $800+ PC and that we don't want to pay anywhere that price for hardware to play videogames??

here a tip devs, how about you target PS4/X1 for your games from the get go instead of creating your mega cuttin-edge game and then have to dumb it down because it won't run on consoles?

Ein Bear

Consoles do not hold PCs back, they do the exact opposite.

'PC Gaming' does not solely mean the beefy rigs that most people on enthusiast forums use. What consoles do is establish a baseline specification for games to be built at, which can be comfortably run on mid-tier PCs and then scaled up and down accordingly. Everyone benefits, regardless of the hardware you choose to play your games in.

If games were built solely for high end PCs, then a very small amount of people would be able to play them.

This author also brought us great gems such as

"Xbox Cheif Phil Spencer says company won’t make profit on Xbox One X console sales"

and

"Is Microsoft laughing at Sony right now? Are people in Sony worried because of Xbox One X?"

and

"MICROSOFT and SEGA teamed up: GAME OVER for the competition"
Oh wow. I wonder how much money this guy makes.

joecanada

I mean a 5 year old pc isn't as powerful as a new pc either? People don't buy a new pc every year either.......... you can't just make games for like 5% of the machines out there, well, you could but I doubt you'd make much money.

"You want the honest truth? This machine is not so strong as you think," Fares says, pointing to the PS4 running his game. "This is like a five-year-old PC. If consoles were as powerful as PCs are today, you would see all different games. Most of the work developers put out there is to make them work on consoles."

Also, water is wet.

This is nothing new. Consoles have always worked this way, and this has always been a limitation. Consumers don't WANT to buy new consoles every two or three years. It's not a bad thing though, since these limitations have led to some incredibly innovative optimization tricks and advancements that never would have emerged if devs could simply rely on hardware constantly improving. It also allows engines targeting specific hardware to be much more cost effective when they can produce multiple games over the course of 6+ years rather than requiring complete engine overhauls for every single game to keep up with ever-improving hardware. More to the point, PS4 Pro and Xbox One X are providing the small subset of console gamers who do want better visuals after three years of a gen launching exactly that opportunity.

tl;dr: 5+ year console generations are a good thing for the industry.

dogen

All different games? Like what?

Deus Ex runs on a Pentium II . Can't show enough enemies? Kingdom hearts 2 did 1000 on the PS2.

If games are really more technically limited now, it's because they use a larger portion of the available processing power on just making games look fancy. Even then, we're getting stuff like Nex Machina and Claybook, which have destructible environments and run at 60 fps on console (even the xb1 for claybook).

cm osi

yeah okay thanks for speaking the obvious but aren't they saying that developing costs are increasing too? you mean you can of course aim at the 10% of the most powerful pc but don't cry if your game development cost too much

TheExodu5

Banned
When game development budgets are pushing close to 100 million for some titles and consoles can still manage to run games like Horizon...I'm going to go ahead and say the current consoles aren't holding back shit.

We're at a point where just about any vision can be brought to life with the current generation of consoles. It's more a question of budget and ability.

VR is a different story.

There's a reason PC exclusives aren't visually surpassing console exclusives...budget is the primary limiting factor for graphics at this point, not horsepower.

Alucrid

Banned
considering that the ps4 is almost 4 years old and console hardware is already behind the ball compared to PCs when they release saying "PS4 is like a 5 year old PC" is almost a compliment

Symbiotx

Of course the tech will always be behind PC's. Of course it's outdated. But to blame the console for limiting you as a developer seems like a cop out. Obviously they don't have a huge dev team, but when developers can make games like Horizon and Uncharted 4 on a base PS4, it seems like it's more of an issue of small devs not being able to fully utilize the power that is there.

If it's holding developers back, why don't they blow our minds with stuff on PC than? I always hear these stupid excuses about the limitations on consoles yet I've have yet to see them really show us what they can do on the PC landscape to justify such a response. Besides better graphics what other advantage is there???

Developers still need to pay bills. Console owners buy tons of games. They are a compromise between power and sales.

Timeaisis

I like Brothers, but this guy kind of sounds like a dick. Or he's talking out of his ass. And that's not entirely in reference to the PS4 comment, but reading the whole engadget article.

I mean, respect for him putting together a studio from nothing and making some sweet games, though. He just seems a little full of himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom