• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Neo to launch before October, says French distributor

Logash

Getting it when it comes out so I can't wait till preorders open. I like to deposit money little by little for my games/hardware and the sooner the preorder is up the sooner I can start dropping cash towards it.

Morts

I'm hoping for an info blowout at E3. I honestly can't wait to see PS4/Neo comparisons.

If they just try to sell me on PS VR at E3 I'll be pretty bored.

If Neo launches this year, I hope MS launch the Xbox One Slim and them wait till earlier next year to announce their 1.5 ideas, hell wait till E32017 and then announce Xbox Two and blow PS4k out of the water. The NX is appearing next year, so 2017 should be stacked.

While I am sure if MS are waiting for a 2017 reveal/ 2018 release for the next Xbox, they will be more powerful than the PS4K. What would stop Sony revealing PS5 in 2018 with a release in 2019.

labx

Banned
This is going to be a cluster fuck with all the games aiming for ps4 and then a month or two later a ps4k is released. Yes you are going to tell me "patches exist" but come on give the ps4 a little more life. I don't know if Sony is going to pull out the PSVR in conjunction with a new console considering that they already said that PSVR is like an another console for them. Sony us expecting that people will pay for +800 dolars for new console and VR? Bold move.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
This is going to be a cluster fuck with all the games aiming for ps4 and then a month or two later a ps4k is released.

They will all work with Neo, no patches required, unless you mean something else...

(They need patches if they want to explicitly exploit the extra power in Neo, but not to simply run on it)

Yes you are going to tell me "patches exist" but come on give the ps4 a little more life.

This should end up extending the span of the PS4 software cycle.

Raide

While I am sure if MS are waiting for a 2017 reveal/ 2018 release for the next Xbox, they will be more powerful than the PS4K. What would stop Sony revealing PS5 in 2018 with a release in 2019.

Nothing I guess but can Sony really run the PS4, PS4k and talk up PS5 with all that overlap? Sure, 2018 means the PS4 will slowly be cut out of their plans but if the userbase is still huge, they would be crazy to drop it in favour of moving ahead.

Anyone think the hardware will be a ps4 slim, thicker, or fatter? I already bought the Mad Max Fury Road, and Deadpool UHD Blu-rays. Hopefully they will play on this. I want to see if they will, before i buy that $399 Samsung UHD player.

I would guess certainly no slimmer; possibly thicker due to extra cooling requirements?

My money is on a near-identical form-factor, hopefully with some extra rear USB3 sockets.

Nothing I guess but can Sony really run the PS4, PS4k and talk up PS5 with all that overlap? Sure, 2018 means the PS4 will slowly be cut out of their plans but if the userbase is still huge, they would be crazy to drop it in favour of moving ahead.

This always happens when moving from one Gen to the next. I think when Sony release the PS5 it will run all the PS4(K) games but have exclusive PS5 titles.

I can see the same digital games releasing on PS4, PS4K and PS5 well past 2020.

The console I am looking forward to is the PS5.5 in 2022.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward

Depends when they want to transition to a new, from-scratch gen.

If they're moving to a model of iterative hardware models within one generation, i can't see them doing a from scratch migration to a new gen until 2019 at the earliest.

2021/2022 might be more likely.

So maybe

2013/PS4 (new gen) -> 2016/PS4Neo -> 2019/PS4Trinity (2013/PS4 shuffled off the market, but still supported by all software) -> 2022/PS5 (new gen) -> 2027/PS5Whatever ...

With such a model, the querying of 'well what if company XYZ comes out with something more powerful 12-24 months later' - there's kind of always something up 'next' from one or other company. If Sony/MS are on alternate cycles, one or the other will always be one-upping the other, assuming all else is equal. Which is fine.

It could be even longer before we see a new from-scratch gen though. I think it depends on developer feedback. We've had EA recently indicating that they feel confident their technical base is scalable enough to withstand hardware transitions for the forseeable future without from-scratch changes. We might be at a point where the base PS4/XboxOne consoles are good enough to support new games for a long time, with scaled up hardware offering bells and whistles along the way. I guess when the platform holders get a lot of feedback from devs about wanting to let go of the legacy hardware from their pipeline, that will be the time to migrate to a new gen...or, perhaps a little more controversially, just push the first hardware into the pipeline back out and use the second hardware as the new base. With that option, the traditional idea of sharp generational transitions would be gone.

This makes some sense, given that Neo support is mandatory for software shipping from October.

Source is the official Sony documents reported by GiantBomb

'Though every PS4 game released as of October of this year will need to support both the original PS4 and the NEO, that doesn’t necessarily mean that the Neo will release in October. Additionally, games released in the late September window will require a day one patch that updates them to NEO standards. The documents we’ve received explicitly note that devs are allowed to launch NEO-ready games before the NEO itself releases.'

http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/sources-the-upgraded-playstation-4-is-codenamed-ne/1100-5437/

DWinn7

I wish there was some type of "trade up" incentive. Because there's no way I can play my PS4 from launch, knowing there's a 4k/NEO version.

So I need an extra bonus when trading it in towards the purchase! lol

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Uncharted 4 will improve with PS4k , right ?

Will wait then....

If they patch it. No guarantee they will, but I imagine it's quite likely.

On top of that though, there's no guarantee about what improvements would be yielded on Neo.

Though I guess technically 1080p/60 in Multiplayer (from 900p/60) should be a bankable improvement, since 1080p is apparently the min resolution allowed on Neo... (though I could see exceptions being made for that for MP modes and the like)

Yeah I'm on board buying one. I feel dirty for saying that seeing as I have a powerful PC but I just enjoy gaming on a console better.

I'm with you. My PC is more powerful than the Neo will be, hands down, yet I'm still planning to upgrade should all the rumors be true. I love my PC, but sometimes I pick up games that I know will run better on PC on PS4 just because I enjoy the experience. If Neo can help close the gap, that's even better.

No guarantee. Developers can choose to release a Neo patch for software released before October, but they are not obliged to. It depends if it makes financial sense for them.

Not for software releasing near the end of September, then they are REQUIRED to have NEO support in a day 1 patch. :p

Everdred

I'm with you. My PC is more powerful than the Neo will be, hands down, yet I'm still planning to upgrade should all the rumors be true. I love my PC, but sometimes I pick up games that I know will run better on PC on PS4 just because I enjoy the experience. If Neo can help close the gap, that's even better.
I'm in the same boat. If they update Rainbow Six: Siege and Uncharted, I'm all over one. I play Siege exclusively on PC right now but would love to play on console.

Uncharted 4 will improve with PS4k , right ?

Will wait then....

As said by others possible but no guarantee.

I could see Sony using U4 as a show case of what improvements PS4K can provide. ICE team being part of ND makes PS4K improvements to U4 sound more likely to me. I could see the game running in 1080/60 in SP & MP.

farisr

I really hope so. I want to play FFXV Day 1 with neo improvements.
Did they list what Neo Support actually consists of? Assuming its not just 1080@60 minimums for all games?
Needs to be at least 1080p, and must have equal or better framerate than the base version.

Ottobit

Banned
i_may_be_wrong_but_i_doubt_it.jpg

All late september games are required to have a day 1 patch for neo.

The NEO will feature a higher clock speed than the original PS4, an improved GPU, and higher bandwidth on the memory. The documents we've received note that the HDD in the NEO is the same as that in the original PlayStation 4, but it's not clear if that means in terms of capacity or connection speed. Starting in October, every PS4 game is required to ship with both a “Base Mode” which will run on the currently available PS4 and a “NEO Mode” for use on the new console

Though every PS4 game released as of October of this year will need to support both the original PS4 and the NEO, that doesn’t necessarily mean that the Neo will release in October. The documents we’ve received explicitly note that devs are allowed to launch NEO-ready games before the NEO itself releases..

All late september games are required to have a day 1 patch for neo.

The NEO will feature a higher clock speed than the original PS4, an improved GPU, and higher bandwidth on the memory. The documents we've received note that the HDD in the NEO is the same as that in the original PlayStation 4, but it's not clear if that means in terms of capacity or connection speed. Starting in October, every PS4 game is required to ship with both a “Base Mode” which will run on the currently available PS4 and a “NEO Mode” for use on the new console

Though every PS4 game released as of October of this year will need to support both the original PS4 and the NEO, that doesn’t necessarily mean that the Neo will release in October. The documents we’ve received explicitly note that devs are allowed to launch NEO-ready games before the NEO itself releases..

Edit: "Additionally, games released in the late September window will require a day one patch that updates them to NEO standards."

Yes, you're right, this was missing from the thread.

Lady Gaia

Did they list what Neo Support actually consists of? Assuming its not just 1080@60 minimums for all games?

No 60fps requirement has been cited in any of the leaked documents. Just 1080p minimum and at least as good frame rate as the base mode, as others have mentioned. "NEO mode" is not a specific mandate about the software, but rather a different set of hardware performance characteristics. The PS4k can evidently pretend to have the same limits as the original PS4 in "base mode" for compatibility with existing software, but newer software isn't allowed to take that shortcut.

So "NEO mode" is about making sure your software behaves well when rendering completes faster and CPU tasks don't take as long. How you take advantage of it is up to the developer.

AmyS

Related: http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/05...consoles-left?abthid=5735a46595b98be64d00000a

UBISOFT CEO: ONE MORE GENERATION OF TRADITIONAL CONSOLES LEFT
The future isn't here.

Ubisoft CEO, Yves Guillemot has said he expects traditional consoles to be replaced by "new types of consoles" - likely streaming-based - after the next generation.

"Now on the console side," Guillemot said on an earnings call yesterday (transcribed by Gamespot), "we expect there will be new consoles that are going to make this market continue to grow and we feel it's... we'll still have another generation of consoles before we have new types of consoles coming to the market."

As for what those new consoles will be, Guillemot was unequivocal: "We believe in streaming--it demands lots of bandwidth. We think it's going to grow but today, with the types of games we have, it will still take a bit of time to be more popular."

When asked about his opinions on the heavily rumoured release of the PS4.5 mid-generation upgrade, Guillemot appeared to reiterate his belief that another full generation will emerge before any major changes are made:

"For the new consoles, there's nothing official on that so my expectation is we will have another cycle of consoles before we go to streaming," he said. "I don't have dates or anything but what I see is the manufacturers would prefer to have again a new hardware to take up the potential of new possibilities that they can bring."

From leaked documentation it's revealed that NEO Mode must be native 1080p at the minimum with an equal or faster fps than normal PS4 mode. That's it concerning rendering requirements.

Bubba T

I doubt we will see a streaming console that soon, unless the broadband infrastructure gets better worldwide.

Who knows what things will look like in ten years, but in the immediate future, streaming games seems like a bad idea. We are already dealing with caps now, imagine streaming an actual AAA game.

Aces&Eights

I really want more info on what games will have the upgrade. I am holding off on Uncharted 4, NMS, etc to experience them on the ps4k if they are indeed getting an upgrade.

Koozek

PLEASE BE TRUE. That way I could just get the Neo as my first current gen console when FFXV releases on September 30, hopefuly with a patch right on day 1.

Top Bottom