• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Neo to launch before October, says French distributor

AmyS

I doubt we will see a streaming console that soon, unless the broadband infrastructure gets better worldwide.

Well yeah, that was really the jist of it. Not counting PS4K Neo / new Xbox One, these mid-cycle upgrades, there will be at least another full next generation before the industry can even think about moving to all-streaming systems. The internet infrastructure is just not there, especially in North America (bad economy and all) and it's not going to be dramatically different by 2020 without a huge economic boom & upgrade to current broadband. i.e. we're not all going to have Google Fiber or equivalent anytime in the next 4-5 years.

I think PS4K needs to pull a Sega Saturn and launch at E3. Not only will it not affect the sales of existing SKU, it'll be nice to enjoy a beefier hardware and current PS4 games while you wait for the Neo update.

Consoles need to launch like smartphone, especially if the future is iterative and forward compatible. There's no need to wait if there is already a fresh library that exists. I bet Uncharted 4 will be one of the games to take full advantage of it at launch (Dare to say it'll look closer to the tech demos?! Dare to even ask if Uncharted got delayed due to Neo).

PLEASE BE TRUE. That way I could just get the Neo as my first current gen console when FFXV releases on September 30, hopefuly with a patch right on day 1.

That's literally the only game that would force me into buying this. If there were a patch out at launch for a more powerful ps4 I'd dive in begrudgingly. I'd rather just a PC version but I'm not ok with waiting even longer after the 10 year wait.

Elios83

I'm also expecting "things" to happen in September.
Current PS4 Slimlined and price cutted to 299$, PS4 Neo launched as the top of the line model with a new form factor based on the Slim PS4.
Timing is perfect to build momentum in time for the next holiday season. September will also be a big month with FFXV and Persona 5 (in Japan), TGS makes a lot of sense.
E3 not so much, E3 is about new games.

TGS is September... for an Oct release? Either they're not pushing it or that's too late. Thinking we'll get an announcement at E3. ESPECIALLY because of the "leaks". They have to address it at least?

Whether they announce it early depends on whether Neo is replacing PS4 at the same current price point (unlikely) or whether it is being introduced as a more expensive 'elite' model to sit alongside current PS4. If the former, then it will cannibalise outstanding inventory so they'll wait until the last minute to announce. If the latter, they've got more time. I suspect the latter will be the case though.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
This is still so fucking stupid. Makes no sense at all.

Eiji

So around the time PSVR is launched.

Makes sense.

amcvholkwbcguuxpflo9.gif

Elios83

So Sony expects people to shell out $800-900 this holiday???

Is it time to start looking for a third job?

They're not expecting it though. Playstation VR will be a niche thing initially and they know it, production volume will be in the order of hundreds of thousands units. It's unlikely they'll ship more than 2m PSVR headsets globally this year (and this is an optimistic figure).
Instead they're expecting to sell more PS4s this fiscal year compared to the last one. And they sold 17.5 million PS4s in the 2015 fiscal year :p

Earendil

Any ideas how this will affect the pricing on the standard PS4? I want to get one, but I'm afraid that if I do now, I'm going to be pissed when the price drops $50-100 in a few months.

Full Disclosure: I'm in no hurry because frankly I don't have the time to play the consoles I already own, I'm just impatient.

The sooner Neo comes out, the sooner NOT-Neo gets discounted even further.

Hope they do one of those E3 announcements: "The PS4 Neo will be out this fall, but starting TOMORROW the original PS4 will now be 249 US Dollars."

Yeah, that's what I'm hoping for as well.

J_Viper

I've got 400 bones set aside already, so I'm hoping it arrives sooner than later, before I spend it on something dumb.

The sooner Neo comes out, the sooner NOT-Neo gets discounted even further.

Hope they do one of those E3 announcements: "The PS4 Neo will be out this fall, but starting TOMORROW the original PS4 will now be 249 US Dollars."

While I am sure if MS are waiting for a 2017 reveal/ 2018 release for the next Xbox, they will be more powerful than the PS4K. What would stop Sony revealing PS5 in 2018 with a release in 2019.
Letters to EU energy board (April 2015) have the following:

UHD (Blu-ray my speculation) Game Consoles shipped in 2013 but won't be firmware updated to support it till 2016. There is a BDA Licence for UHD Blu-ray game consoles and Sony has a License for a UHD Movie player/Game Console/test player and a License for a UHD Blu-ray PC application. There is a second paper naming both the XB1 and PS4 as UHD game consoles. The PS3 and Xbox 360 are labeled as HD.

The definition in these papers for UHD is that they can display 4K media. The PS3 can display 4K media so what is the difference; the PS4 can display 4K media that requires DRM while the Xbox 360 and PS3 can't.

1) UHD Capable released in 2013 (XB1 and PS4) will be firmware updated in 2016
2) Third tier starts in 2017 with 20 watt less Navigation mode
3) Tier 4 starts in 2019 mentioned but no information volunteered.

Polaris 10 can use GDDR5 late 2016 130 Watt TDP less than $299 retail. The PS4 can use this but the XB1 with ARM in the APU can't. XB1 will have to wait till late 2017 for Vega with HBM2 (looks like 50% more performance at 130 Watt TDP so 6 TF instead of the PS4 Neo 4.x). Tier 4 would likely be both using Navi in 2019 and the differences between the consoles disappear.

9a99b_Roadmap2_575px.jpg

The above is part of the AMD 25X APU improvement in energy efficiency by 2020 = decreasing TDP/TF which translates into the ability to have larger more powerful GPUs and CPUs at the same TDP. Part of this energy efficiency increase is due to code changes so a PS4 Launch game unmodified will still draw as much power minus hardware efficiencies.

PS4 = 1.8, 4, 10 TF @ 130 watts TDP
XB1 = 1.3, 6, 10 TF @ 130 watts TDP

Navi is designed as smaller GPU blocks that are known good die assembled on an interposer with HBM which is what Scaleability means. AMD can choose one to 4 GPUs, everything is cookie cutter reuseable for all customers.

Occam

I doubt we will see a streaming console that soon, unless the broadband infrastructure gets better worldwide.

Since the laws of physics can't be changed (speed of light=delay) and since some of us are fans of the concept of private ownership, never sounds like the right time.

KOHIPEET

Shit...there won't be any reasonably priced 4k oled tv's by then.

Buy a good 4k led LCD tv now, or wait for oled goodness.

The struggle is real.

Thanks for the reply jeff_rigby I understand some of those words :) Just so we are both clear, were you agreeing with me?

Shit...there won't be any reasonably priced 4k oled tv's by then.

Buy a good 4k led LCD tv now, or wait for oled goodness.

The struggle is real.

I am waiting for a OLED price drop. My guess is NEO will be running games at 1080/60, Unless you want 4K media, a 1080p screen will be fine.

Thanks for the reply jeff_rigby I understand some of those words :) Just so we are both clear, were you agreeing with me?
Just about yes with the wiggle room that dates are slightly flexible and plans were in place very early. Best guess is that we are being walked along the AMD roadmap to full HSAIL which will occur with HBM in the 2017-2019 timeframe. 2019 Navi technology will be the last PS4 & XB1 iteration Console (Tier 4 mentioned is the only reason I differ from you that PS5 comes later if at all) with either a PS5 or PCs taking their place (my opinion).

In this from linkedin via Semiaccurate Seronx:

From Yu Zheng;
Project ‘G’/Project ‘K’, Semi-Customer project with Game Console clients.

As customer driven projects, those has extremely tight schedule and tough signoff criteria. As deployment lead, leading a team of 4 and finished successful delivery of A0/A1 sample. Client projects specially requires binary back-compatibility with previous generation of game console which brings in 3 different operation mode for verification work load, we managed to leverage regression automation and using scripting to do pre-process and post-process of regression logs and debug by priority, we managed to meet every milestone on time and with quality.
Which begs the question as to what three modes mean? Are both the PS4.5 and XB1 II to have backward compatibility with a continuation of XBOX 360 BC for the XB1 and new for the PS4.5, PS3 BC?

The three modes could be PS3, PS4 and PS4 NEO. For sure the NEW XB1 should continue to support XBOX 360 so it has three modes that need to be tested.

In the thread I quoted Seronix, he corrected himself and states that both the XB1 II and PS4 Neo would be using a eExcavator processor which I'd guess means an embedded version, cut down version for APUs. Supporting this is that AMD would be using this in other APUs coming in the near future and have already created FinFET designs using this CPU. CAT cores would not be carried through to 14nm FinFET (speculation).

AMD-Bristol-Ridge-APU-Notebook_IPC-635x357.jpg

Eurogamer has stated that the PS4 NEO is getting a CAT core but we know that at least the version in the current PS4 can't support BC. If we are to guess that the Linked in cite does mean PS3 BC is coming then whatever CPU core is being used has a higher IPC (more powerful) than Jaguar.

"Surprise" E3 unveiling with Sony telling all those watching they could buy it now. Initially the game press will scoff, stating this is basically what doomed the Saturn, but to their surprise the initial Shipment of PS4ks gets sold out in hours.
In today's social market can work amazingly well. There isn't media.

Why would Sony even consider ps3 BC while PSnow exists?
PS NOW is for the TVs, PCs, STBs, Phones and Tablets.

Consider PS NOW using PS3 hardware with limited life emulating only a PS3 or PS NOW using a PS4.5 chipset able to emulate PS 1, 2, 3, 4, NEO and more. The first only makes sense with a new more power efficient chipset coming for the PS3 which is likely not happening while the latter makes sense going forward for the next 5 years supporting everything till the PS5.

The NEO revision and the XB1 revision were planned for 2017 and not for UHD blu-ray as the Launch consoles are UHD Capable CONFIRMED!

ThoughtsOfSpeaking said:
Stop listening to rigbys foolishness that he barely understands himself.
Remember, you are going to have to eat these word come October. You do the other readers a disservice when you dismiss out of hand what could be accurate because you don't believe other posts that have been proven to be accurate.

BibiMaghoo

I'm sure their VR headset is going to sell really well alongside a new console.

Stupid move if true. Stupid move anyway but worse competing for hardware money with themselves.

In this from linkedin via Semiaccurate Seronx:

Which begs the question as to what three modes mean? Are both the PS4.5 and XB1 II to have backward compatibility with a continuation of XBOX 360 BC for the XB1 and new for the PS4.5, PS3 BC?

The three modes could be PS3, PS4 and PS4 NEO. For sure the NEW XB1 should continue to support XBOX 360 so it has three modes that need to be tested.

In the thread I quoted Seronix, he corrected himself and states that both the XB1 II and PS4 Neo would be using a eExcavator processor which I'd guess means an embedded version, cut down version for APUs. Supporting this is that AMD would be using this in other APUs coming in the near future and have already created FinFET designs using this CPU. CAT cores would not be carried through to 14nm FinFET (speculation).

Eurogamer has stated that the PS4 NEO is getting a CAT core but we know that at least the version in the current PS4 can't support BC. If we are to guess that the Linked in cite does mean PS3 BC is coming then whatever CPU core is being used has a higher IPC (more powerful) than Jaguar.

And it seems like this guy doesnt know what he is talking about...

Top Bottom