• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Neo to launch before October, says French distributor

iceatcs

This kind of hardware won't be announced until near release. Likely we won't heard it till much after summer.

Blizzje

Can Sony really make it through the summer without talking about the NEO at all? The developer documents are out there: this thing is happening. Why not speak up about it and at least settle some of the rumors and get consumers excited for your part of the story (Better graphics, base users won't get left out, 4k upscaling)?

As for the sales figures in the summer: I would imagine that it hurts them more if people postpone their ps4 purchase because of a lack of information. If they know about the Neo and what it can do, they can decide if they want to wait or pull the trigger and get a (discounted) base model.

What reasons could they possibly have to not come out with this during e3? They need to speak up.

PS NOW is for the TVs, PCs, STBs, Phones and Tablets.

Consider PS NOW using PS3 hardware with limited life emulating only a PS3 or PS NOW using a PS4.5 chipset able to emulate PS 1, 2, 3, 4, NEO and more. The first only makes sense with a new more power efficient chipset coming for the PS3 which is likely not happening while the latter makes sense going forward for the next 5 years supporting everything till the PS5.

The NEO revision and the XB1 revision were planned for 2017 and not for UHD blu-ray as the Launch consoles are UHD Capable CONFIRMED!

Remember, you are going to have to eat these word come October. You do the other readers a disservice when you dismiss out of hand what could be accurate because you don't believe other posts that have been proven to be accurate.

If a hardware engineer talks about binary compatibity with a previous generation, do you really think he's talking about PS3, and not the previous generation of PS4? If not, why no mention of the work done to ensure compatibility with the previous generation of PS4?

And it seems like this guy doesnt know what he is talking about...
Seonix stating the Consoles will use eExcavator? The AMD slide is stating the Excavator is being used going forward. ZEN is very high end server and Desktop with too high a TDP for APUs right?

AMD-Bristol-Ridge-APU-Notebook_IPC-635x357.jpg

If it helps, assume 8 Jaguar CPUs updated using Excavator features which results in what AMD will be calling a eExcavator (Embedded) or could be called upgraded CAT CPUs. If you inspect the link, the Excavator CPU is being used in a Notebook APU, CAT cores are not in any of the new APUs.

AmyS

PS4 Neo emulating PS3 is not feasible. You're not going to see x86 Jaguar, Puma emulating CELL. Not even Zen would do that.

Maybe PS4, Neo and PS2.

or even Xbox One, Xbox One Elite, Xbox 360.

If a hardware engineer talks about binary compatibity with a previous generation, do you really think he's talking about PS3, and not the previous generation of PS4? If not, why no mention of the work done to ensure compatibility with the previous generation of PS4?
Depends on what is meant by previous generation. IS a previous generation one that is binary compatible? It is iffy but he is talking about both the XB1 and PS4 and the XB1 for sure has three modes it has to support.

I'll leave this as speculation that needs further cites to prove. At this point I have doubts about the Eurogamer reports that NEO is going to use Jaguar and Polaris 10.

Caio

The GPU is gonna be based on Polaris Architecture right ? And 36 CUs. Have no idea about the CPU, but I believe it can't be the same, clocked at 2.1 GHz, it doesn't make sense, it's not enough. I'm also very curious about total system RAM and memory bandwidth. We will see.

iceatcs

Can Sony really make it through the summer without talking about the NEO at all? The developer documents are out there: this thing is happening. Why not speak up about it and at least settle some of the rumors and get consumers excited for your part of the story (Better graphics, base users won't get left out, 4k upscaling)?

As for the sales figures in the summer: I would imagine that it hurts them more if people postpone their ps4 purchase because of a lack of information. If they know about the Neo and what it can do, they can decide if they want to wait or pull the trigger and get a (discounted) base model.

What reasons could they possibly have to not come out with this during e3? They need to speak up.
Nah it won't be heard for while. E3 announce is way too early, It will kill the PS4 sale more than not to be announced.

PS4 Neo emulating PS3 is not feasible. You're not going to see x86 Jaguar, Puma emulating CELL. Not even Zen would do that.

Maybe PS4, Neo and PS2.

Not Jaguar or Puma, eExcavator.

From papers AMD and others sponsored, research on emulating single thread performance with multiple slower CPUs, it's possible. Further the technique lends it'self to also emulating other processor families.

The XB1 emulates two 3 Ghz Power PC processors with the third dedicated to OS tasks, it can be replaced with dedicated hardware. For the PS3 with only one Power PC CPU and 7 SPUs of which at least one is dedicated to OS tasks like encryption decryption and one partially to other OS tasks, that leaves 5.something SPUs that have to be emulated. Some of the SPUs are dedicated to GPU like tasks part of the time so they can be partially emulated by a GPU. I think it's possible.

This reminds me of 2012 discussions on PS3 and Xbox 360 being emulated for BC by the new consoles with some making absolute statements that it was not possible. Half right so far.

spwolf

Not Jaguar or Puma, eExcavator.

From papers AMD and others sponsored, research on emulating single thread performance with multiple slower CPUs, it's possible. Further the technique lends it'self to also emulating other processor families.

The XB1 emulates two 3 Ghz Power PC processors with the third dedicated to OS tasks, it can be replaced with dedicated hardware. For the PS3 with only one Power PC CPU and 7 SPUs of which at least one is dedicated to OS tasks like encryption decryption and one partially to other OS tasks, that leaves 5.something SPUs that have to be emulated. Some of the SPUs are dedicated to GPU like tasks part of the time so they can be partially emulated by a GPU. I think it's possible.

This reminds me of 2012 discussions on PS3 and Xbox 360 being emulated for BC by the new consoles with some making absolute statements that it was not possible. Half right so far.

at some point, some common sense needs to be applied before writing posts.

Blizzje

Can anyone tell me why the dev docs say a day one patch is needed late september and neo mode is mandatory starting october, when we are hearing rumors of a ps4 neo announcement at Paris Games Week?

Why would they describe having a day one patch ready (mandatory for late september games) and differentiate this from 'from october both modes need to be available on the disk' and not release the neo in september? Coming out later than the late september 'day one patch' moment sounds crazy to me. Why even have the requirement then?

c0de

Maybe PS4, Neo and PS2.

Yeah, no way of doing that on a software only approach. The Cell is just too complex, too special and too powerful to be emulated with nowadays computers in real time for AAA titles at a reasonable speed. This is even more impossible on console hardware.

Yeah, no way of doing that on a software only approach. The Cell is just too complex, too special and too powerful to be emulated with nowadays computers in real time for AAA titles at a reasonable speed. This is even more impossible on console hardware.
I think two Cell SPUs @ 3.2 Ghz are needed for HEVC decoding which can be done by a Xtensa DPU @ 350 Mhz thereabouts. The Xtensa DPU has in excess of 60 computational blocks to do this and a bus arrangement similar to CELL. A small portion of a GPU @ less than 800 Mhz can do the same with some CPU management.

We are getting stuck on Single thread performance @ 3.2 GHZ when many more CPUs can perform the same at much lower clocks or fewer CPUs with higher IPCs.

0racle

If sony does not due the following their marketing team needs a shake up.

Show at e3 and reveal a price and date. Reduce the ps4 price RIGHT away to maintain ps4 sales.

People who want neo are waiting regardless so the sales loss is already happening. People on the fence/dont care about neo/ waiting for a drop will buy right away. And this is a bigger market than you think.

I'm also expecting "things" to happen in September.
Current PS4 Slimlined and price cutted to 299$, PS4 Neo launched as the top of the line model with a new form factor based on the Slim PS4.
Timing is perfect to build momentum in time for the next holiday season. September will also be a big month with FFXV and Persona 5 (in Japan), TGS makes a lot of sense.
E3 not so much, E3 is about new games.

It also makes way more sense to announce and release it in the same month. If they announce it at E3, PS4 sales will suck until it comes out.

Neo needs pushed to next year. Otherwise it will hurt PSVR.

I would agree with you, but if Sony are confident in selling all the VR hardware they can produce then the Neo release will not effect sales.

My feeling is Sony will not be able to produce enough VR headsets in 2016 to fulfill demand.

Even if some people cancel their PSVR preorder and go with a PS4k instead, the PSVR will likely be supply limited and sold out most of the holiday season regardless.

For the people dead set on a PSVR, but can't find one in 2016 due to limited availability, Sony has a complementary product in the PS4k that will offer a better VR experience whenever those folks do eventually find a PSVR in early 2017.

It's not a flawless scenario, but in the short-term of the holiday season, the PSVR should be OK.

GlamFM

Banned

I expect the PSVR to sell out no matter what.

No need for Sony to push stuff around.

In fact, if supply for the VR is tight and they bundle it with the 4K that would be really clever and would surely spawn a few fun threads on GAF.

Coxy100

Banned
I hope it's true - I'd like to buy a PS4 for christmas (xbox owner) so hopefully ps4 will go cheaper if a new one is released.

It also makes way more sense to announce and release it in the same month. If they announce it at E3, PS4 sales will suck until it comes out.

I could see Sony being able to announcing the Neo at E3, as long as they also announce a price cut to the standard PS4 at the same time.

Something like 'PS4K releasing October $399.99, preorder today, Current PS4 with U4 new price $299.99'. I think this would keep sales of the PS4 healthy.

Looks like I will be trading in my Xbox One soon to help pay for this. And closer to the release date I will be trading in my PS4. But I need to swap out the hard drive since I bought a 2TB one.

c0de

I think two Cell SPUs @ 3.2 Ghz are needed for HEVC decoding which can be done by a Xtensa DPU @ 350 Mhz thereabouts. The Xtensa DPU has in excess of 60 computational blocks to do this and a bus arrangement similar to CELL. A small portion of a GPU @ less than 800 Mhz can do the same with some CPU management.

I have yet to see that the DPU is actually working in a single "game" application on the PS4. Not to say that comparing specialized computing units with other computing units is wrong.

We are getting stuck on Single thread performance @ 3.2 GHZ when many more CPUs can perform the same at much lower clocks or fewer CPUs with higher IPCs.

Oh, they can. But even if you have a 1:1 mapping of all instructions to a x86 instruction (what is not the case) then it would still be slower. Not to mention what emulation in general adds to computing work loads. Also there are only 6 and some cores at work in a PS4 which is also limiting the emulation.
Again, I don't say emulation is impossible. Of course it isn't but don't expect real time emulation at reasonable speeds. Also keep in mind that Cell was extremely special in the way it worked and it more resembles a GPU approach than a CPU approach. Also take a look at rpcs3 and imagine some footage running on a PS4.

The Neo and PS4 are not targeting the same markets. Hardcore gamers, the ones most likely to buy a Neo, have not waited this long to buy a PS4. They already own a PS4 so an announcement of a Neo can't hurt sales to this market.

The key is the price gap between the PS4 and Neo. It will be large enough so that casual and price sensitive gamers will just buy a PS4 because they either don't care about or won't be able to afford the Neo. A casual friendly $299 PS4 No Man's Sky and/or Ratchet and Clank bundle paired with a $399-$449 Neo available late this year or early next year makes a lot of sense. What is not being realized is that outside the initial rush, the PS4 is still going to outsell the Neo after it is released because it will pull from the larger market of more casual gamers. This isn't going to be a mass switch from the PS4 to the Neo.

UHD Blu-Ray is in or else I don't see the point. So 499€ would be ok for me.

Is it possible to sell my PS4 now, plug my recently purchased PS4K in October and download everything again? (saves, games, DLC).

I don't know how it work on PS4 but when my launch PS3 died it was a pain in the ass to download everything again. Even if I have to keep my PS4 so the process can be easier I just don't want to have to download everything again (Singstar and RB DLC are so painful).

Top Bottom