• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 passes 63.3 million shipped (as of June 30)

bombshell

Not what.
It is supposed to end up at 78m shipped by next year March 31st, not sure where you're pulling 80/90M from.
They lowered their forecast from last year's 20m to 18m.

Yes and sold through is not far behind, yet you say selling through 80 million by end of 2018 is a "very maybe"?

AmyS

Will definitely surpass PS1 (not to mention PS3) but not PS2.

The only real question is, to what extent can PS4 have a decent life as a budget console after PS5 is released.

Frostman

Great number.

And Sony know that they have 2018 wrapped up already. They would only need GoW and Spider-Man, the rest are a bonus.

Very impressive numbers. I'm not sure about over taking PSX or PS2 as I'm doubtful we'll have to wait long until the next generation of systems. It's still a monumental success.

travola-desert.gif

Shin

Banned
Yes and sold through is not far behind, yet you say selling through 80 million by end of 2018 is a "very maybe"?

Yeah I read wrong my bad, you mean December 2018 (I thought FY18 / March 31st :p).
Then yea it could very well end up at 90m+, by 2020 it should be sitting close to 120M.
So second best selling PlayStation console and 3rd best selling gaming console/handheld of all time (beating PS1 and PS3).

kyser73

With the Destiny 2 bundles, Battlefront 2, this holiday should be really strong for them and next year, when Spidey drops, (possibly coupled with price-drop or heavy bundling) sales will skyrocket imo.

80-85 million sold through should be possible by the end of 2018 shouldn't it?

Assume they hit their 78m shipped by EoFY 17/18 they should hit 90m around Nov/Dec 18. And 100m around Sept 19. My assumption on shipping targets for those years are 16m for next FY & 14m for FY 19/20 and no PS5 announcement until Jan/Feb 2020 for a November 2020 launch.

If Sony give it the same time on sale as the PS2 had, I think with revisions and a bottom price of $199 it could get there...but I can't see Sony selling it for 11 years.

bombshell

I think he is confusing the end of the 2018 calendar year with the end of the fiscal year ending in March 2018.

Poster talked about the positive impact that Spider-Man will have next year, so it was quite obvious he asked about calendar year :)

Yeah I read wrong my bad, you mean December 2018 (I thought FY18 / March 31st :p).
Then yea it could very well end up at 90m+, by 2020 it should be sitting close to 120M.
So second best selling PlayStation console and 3rd best selling gaming console/handheld of all time (beating PS1 and PS3).

That's better ;)

Averon

I was convinced Sony would introduce the PS5 in 2019. But given the strong PS4 sales, growth in PSN, and the lagging nature of process node shrinks, I see no reason why they would bother for a 2019 launch. The PS4 is doing too well for them to risk upsetting the PS4's momentum. I easily see Sony waiting until 2020. Which means the PS4 would be 7 years old before its successor is launched, the same length of time between the PS3 and PS4. A lot of people complained about the length of last generation, and it looks like we may repeat that length this generation as well.

Third best.

What would be the other two? I said consoles specifically, so that doesn't include handhelds. Unless you think it's going to fall between the PSone and Wii, which would be odd.

Gameplay, trailers etc. But it's Rockstar, so eh.

For the most part Rockstar's new strategy is that they really don't release a lot of footage until they're certain about a release date. Then you start doing their Rockstar Gameplay series. But we'll probably see a character introduction trailer before those start up. Perhaps before the end of the year if the Spring 2018 timeframe is real.

Hastati

Just went to a Yodobashi in Japan for the first time in awhile and PS4 DQ11 was sold out, really large section dedicated to the console. Altogether lots of people loitering around the games section and it made me happy, feels like the mentality towards console gaming has gone in a positive direction here recently compared to the earlier years of the Mobage Dark Ages.

Now I just want a really killer first party mech game from somebody.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Sony are fools for thinking they can hit 80 million units by early next year

I don't mean to be rude to their bean counters or whoever it is they have analyzing sales, but they have just barely shipped 63 million units as of last month. How much do they really expect to sell for the rest of this year? Even at the absolute optimistic scenario, they are not selling even 10 million between now and next march, even their most profitable holidays in previous years have only given at most around 5 mil

You do realize thanksgiving later this year, God of War out in Q1 2018, Spiderman out Q1-Q2 2018 and a price drop in time for black friday will skyrocket PS4 sales this holiday season. I wouldn't be surprised if Sony hits 80mil units by this year Christmas!

Inuhanyou

They've got 9 months to ship 15m units, including holidays. Their target isn't 80m it's 78 shipped by EoFY17/18.

Considering everyone and their mother's conventional wisdom has been saying 2016 was Sony's peak year and its downhill from there, your saying they will sell that many units from now until March?

You do realize thanksgiving later this year, God of War out in Q1 2018, Spiderman out Q1-Q2 2018 and a price drop in time for black friday will skyrocket PS4 sales this holiday season. I wouldn't be surprised if Sony hits 80mil units by this year Christmas!

That's just ridiculous and a very unbelievable prospect to me.

Its hard enough to imagine sales like that in march, and yet you cut off 3 months and expect for it to be plausible?

1 or two games will not do anywhere near the business for hardware some people seem to expect, i don't get it.

darkwing

I was convinced Sony would introduce the PS5 in 2019. But given the strong PS4 sales, growth in PSN, and the lagging nature of process node shrinks, I see no reason why they would bother for a 2019 launch. The PS4 is doing too well for them to risk upsetting the PS4's momentum. I easily see Sony waiting until 2020. Which means the PS4 would be 7 years old before its successor is launched, the same length of time between the PS3 and PS4. A lot of people complained about the length of last generation, and it looks like we may repeat that length this generation as well.

people should stop buying the PS4

Shin

Banned

1m+- in US per month, 2.5M for November+December, July, August, September, October, January, February, March (9.5M ish from US alone).
That's 72.8m, not counting Europe, Japan and the rest of the world, seems like their estimate is too low, unless there's a serious decline somewhere.
Also those are sold through plus the current 63.3 shipped so could be higher shipped than the figures above.

Gurish

So what do we think? Will it ultimately surpass the PS2?

No way but will be Sony's second biggest console almost guaranteed, I bet it will also surpass Wii so all in all it will be the second best selling home console.

BTW we all love to look at selling figures but we sometimes forget what is the most important number for Sony and that is the profit: the PS4 alongside with PSN and all additional incomes is by FAR Sony's most profitable console, they bled a lot of money even during the very successful PS2 gen, not to mention PS3's. Now because they never lost on the hardware and they didn't fuck anything up (YLOD anyone?) and digital is stronger than ever they are making a HUGE amount.

Too bad other divisions in Sony fucks it up but you can't blame gaming on that. The PS4 is the main reason why Sony is in reasonable shape overall as a company.

bombshell

I don't mean to be rude to their bean counters or whoever it is they have analyzing sales, but they have just barely shipped 63 million units as of last month. How much do they really expect to sell for the rest of this year? Even at the absolute optimistic scenario, they are not selling even 10 million between now and next march, even their most profitable holidays in previous years have only given at most around 5 mil

Sony's target is 78 by end of March.

And that last part...

PS4 sells through 6.2 million units worldwide during the 2016 holiday season

(In just over a month, 20 November 2016 - 31 December 2016).

Gran Turismo will most likely help boost new sales.

Inuhanyou

Sony's target is 78 by end of March.

And that last part...

PS4 sells through 6.2 million units worldwide during the 2016 holiday season

(In just over a month, 20 November 2016 - 31 December 2016).

I said "around", and 78 to 80 is basically the same to me. If they can even hit close to 75 by the end of March i'll be blown away by their momentum. I'm expecting them to maybe just hit 70m by the end of March as is.

1m+- in US per month, 2.5M for November+December, July, August, September, October, January, February, March (9.5M ish from US alone).
That's 72.8m, not counting Europe, Japan and the rest of the world, seems like their estimate is too low, unless there's a serious decline somewhere.
Also those are sold through plus the current 63.3 shipped so could be higher shipped than the figures above.

So your saying they could stuff the channel to make their target? I guess that's plausible, but that's a serious amount of stock left on store shelves. MS tried to the same thing a few years ago IIRC

bombshell

I said "around", and 78 to 80 is basically the same to me. If they can even hit close to 75 by the end of March i'll be blown away by their momentum. I'm expecting them to maybe just hit 70m by the end of March as is.

It's usually wise to be precise in sales threads.

They're up this (calendar) year...

The target is shipments, last year they shipped 9.7 million in the Oct-Dec quarter. The same this year will put them at 73 million, with the remaining 6 months only needing to do 5 million shipped. Why is that impossible?

lol maybe hit 70 million, are you clueless?

Shin

Banned
So your saying they could stuff the channel to make their target? I guess that's plausible, but that's a serious amount of stock left on store shelves. MS tried to the same thing a few years ago IIRC

I read somewhere on Gaf that they sell about 5m per quarter world wide, seeing as it's at 63.3 ATM with 9 months to go that would put it at 78.3M by March 31st.

alt27

I mean they shipped 6 mil last holiday season, and this holiday season is way stronger with COD WW2, Destiny 2, Battlefront 2, Gran Tursimo etc. Wouldnt be hard to see them repeating that number and that puts them at 70 mil straight off. an extra 8 mi is not that hard to see them do.

RoyalFool

Banned
Nice to see PSVR helped a little, Sony deserve a bit of success for how well supported it's been.

They'll smash those numbers if gran turismo delivers

Top Bottom