• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Pro Black Screen Fix (w/ Audio Dropping)

b0bbyJ03

LG B6 here. The moment I took it out of the box and plugged it in all I got was a black screen and sound. The only fix that worked for me was plugging the Pro to a 1080p TV, going into the settings, and turning HDCP off. After that I plugged it back into my B6 and it worked. For the record, I did try booting to safe mode and setting the Pro to just HDCP 1.4 and that did not work. Only disabling HDCP via the system menu on the other tv did the trick. Hope that helps someone else out there. We better get some fixes soon.

sammex

I had a similar problem with my Panasonic Viera AX802 and having to use safe mode. It's hdcp 2.2 compatible but it turns out you have to go to the tv menu -> setup -> HDMI4 HDCP Setting and then switch from auto to 2.2 and it now works fine.

I'm facing the same issue with my Vizio. Was running perfectly before update, and now its black screen.

I tried safe mode, but I'm not sure when am I suppose to change ports. I did pick 4K from Resolution, but it makes it not worth for any resolution now. :/

EDIT: Man, it did take multiple (5) tries before it finally worked as intended. Such a weird glitch. Sony needs to fix this ASAP.

Shadoken

Same problem here.. LG UH7700.

Had to change it to HDCP 1.4 then disable HDCP in the settings to get it working. currently running on 4kRGB , I turned on HDR from the TV settings menu "Deep Color mode" on.

Same problem here.. LG UH7700.

Had to change it to HDCP 1.4 then disable HDCP in the settings to get it working. currently running on 4kRGB , I turned on HDR from the TV settings menu "Deep Color mode" on.

For me the fix was this.

1. Shut down console by selecting "Turn off PS4". Go to Safe Mode by holding power button for 7 seconds (two beeps). On Safe Mode, Set HDCP to Automatic (It maybe already highlighted. Do it again).

2. Again go back to Safe Mode, here's where you make sure HDMI cable is connected to the 4K 60Hz port. Change Resolution, and you should be able to pick 2160 YUV240.

3. If 2160 YUV420 shows up as "Unsupported", Repeat step 2.

4. Repeat Step 3 until it work. Can take you 5 tries.

Shadoken

Since I can run the PS4 now in 2160 RGB. Isn't YUV240 a downgrade?

I tried switching to it and the contrast doesn't seem as good as the RGB one. Also is this issue small or fairly widespread? Cant believe Sony hasn't acknowledged it yet.

Do people who have the KS8000 have this same issue? That is the TV I plan on getting so want to be sure it works fine before I get it and the PS4 PRO

f@luS

More than a member.
People with Lg oled. When black screen happens just turn off then on the TV with your remote. Works always for me. Issue was when switching from hdr to sdr and vice Versa

Now for the issue here. Just went to safe mode. Put hdcp 1.4. Checked Netflix and YouTube 4k was working I though it wouldn't ? Went back to safe mode. Hdcp auto (2.2). Started uncharted 4. Had to switch 9 times before the black screen. Still happened. Maybe I should stick to hdcp 1.4 what is the real difference ?

n0razi

Switching cables worked for me... using the one that the PS4 came with instead of my old one (dunno the brand)

f@luS

More than a member.
Switching cables worked for me... using the one that the PS4 came with instead of my old one (dunno the brand)
I tried both old and new and same issue. It's just totally random. Hdcp crap bug. Will be fixed il sure but in the meantime either put hdcp 1.4 or turn off on tv fix the issue

OLED65B6P - I had this issue.. but not until I started a game. I used Ratchet and Clank, it triggered HDR mode and before any logos came up, it blanked out my screen and I could only hear audio and see a little visual noise.

I set it to HDCP 1.4 and was able to set 4k - RGB without a problem.

I powered off the unit and moved it to the intended location and connected it up through my AVR. It had reverted back to automatic and hdcp 2.2.. but it works fine through the AVR. (Pioneer VSX-1130-K)

So is it safe to say that the issue only exists when connecting the Pro directly to the TV? Somehow receivers seem to fix the problem?

Shadoken

Is Sony just completely ignoring the issue? They dont seem to have made any statement and I dont think LG is going to bother patching this either. I think am gonna have to return my PS4 Pro if this doesn't get sorted out. It seems ridiculous that I need to disable HDCP and not be able to watch any video streaming apps :(

So is it safe to say that the issue only exists when connecting the Pro directly to the TV? Somehow receivers seem to fix the problem?

in the case of the 2016 LG OLEDs, it seems to be specific to the B6 model (doesn't happen to the C6 or E6, which use different internals). It doesn't have an issue if my AVR is between the ps4 pro and the tv. Fortunately, this is my desired and intended configuration as it is, but if it wasn't I would be pretty upset until this is fixed.

black070

Is Sony just completely ignoring the issue? They dont seem to have made any statement and I dont think LG is going to bother patching this either. I think am gonna have to return my PS4 Pro if this doesn't get sorted out. It seems ridiculous that I need to disable HDCP and not be able to watch any video streaming apps :(

Someone on Reddit said LG and Sony are aware of the problem and are working together to resolve it.

DBT85

Has anyone in an official capacity asked for a statement?

Ammogeddon

I'm getting the same issue on my Samsung UE48JU7000.

Happening a few minutes into launching games and Now TV app. The screen will cut out black for a few seconds then come back on. I think it's only happening once after powering up the console. After it happens it's not doing it when I switch over to other games.

I've tried the safe mode HDCP workaround, switching deep colour on/off, and bypassing the PSVR processor. None of it works though I might try the HDCP setting now I've plugged the pro straight into the TV.

There has been a blessing in all of this. My TV isn't listed as HDR so I never bothered bypassing the PSVR processor. Since plugging directly into the TV it turns out it is HDR. All the settings are coming up compatible and Uncharted allows me to activate HDR, whereas it didn't before. I am noticing the difference too, really pleased.

I just got my Pro and I wanted to add in my experience.

I have the Samsung KS8000. I've had it happen a few times where the screen goes black and the audio cuts out. This happens for a couple of seconds then it comes back. I've had it happen to me 3 times in the course of maybe 8 hours of playing Dishonored Definitive Edition.

I'm also using this coupler https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B2HPAE6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 since I have a PSVR as well. I haven't tried without it. I can try to but since it has a very low occurrence, it'll take some time.

LowSignal

Setup a Pro for my friend last night and it was a nightmare, I can't believe it wasn't just plug and play. Visio M series and the Pro wouldn't show 4k without doing the work around method.

f@luS

More than a member.
Strangely at hdcp 1.4 I have no issue with Netflix and YouTube ... it's supposed to not work ?
Anyway when screen goes black (but I still have sound ) I turn off and on tv and it's working again. Annoying but not too much

One thing I would suggest everyone is to not automatically login to your account when you start your console. When you press X to login, the PS4 rechecks the HDCP handshake and fixes the issue for me. So, turn on your TV, turn on your console, wait for the black screen and then press X.

This is a permanent thing now, and its annoying, but this is a temporary workaround for now.

Sony needs to respond to this ASAP.

I just got my Pro and I wanted to add in my experience.

I have the Samsung KS8000. I've had it happen a few times where the screen goes black and the audio cuts out. This happens for a couple of seconds then it comes back. I've had it happen to me 3 times in the course of maybe 8 hours of playing Dishonored Definitive Edition.

I'm also using this coupler https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B2HPAE6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 since I have a PSVR as well. I haven't tried without it. I can try to but since it has a very low occurrence, it'll take some time.

Update:

So I was playing last night and the issue was happening like 1 or 2 times a minute. So I removed the HDMI coupler that I'm using for my PS VR and plugged the HDMI cable directly to my TV. I didn't use the HDMI that came with the Pro. Instead, I used one of the Amazon High Speed basic cabled. I didn't see the problem happen again.

I have a couple of "high quality" cables coming in that I'm going to test out along with the coupler and see how it works,

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
LG 49UH6100 set, and like many, the first time I hooked up my Pro I had the same issue.....black screen, and only audio. Setting the PS4 to safe mode and taking HDCP off of auto and changing to 1.4, allowed me to boot in and finish setup.

Once in, I disabled HDCP in the PS4 settings, and I was able to play games in 4K, but HDR showed as 'not supported'.

With all that said, if I'm in PS4 and then go into my tv settings and turn on Ultra HD setting, the tv resets, and then my Pro is in 4K / HDR mode.

The trick is....if I DONT turn that Ultra HD setting off in my tv before I put my PS4 in sleep mode, the next time I turn it on I get the black screen bs and have to do it all over again. Pain in the ass that we shouldn't have to do, but its a workaround for now.

I called both LG and Sony and both are getting bombarded about it. LG says their engineers are working with Sony on a fix, and Sony says their engineers are working hard on it too as a top priority. So my guess is a PS4 firmware update soon to address this since it's happening on many models, not just LG.

But damn...when it's working, the picture on this set in 4K / HDR is GORGEOUS!!!!

grizzelye

I had the same issues with Xbox one S and PS4 pro. I believe it's the LG TV, and not the console.

I suspected faulty HDMI 2.0 cable at one point so brought a new one, but still got the same issues.

I usually unplug and use a different HDMI port, if it happens now; That HDMI goes funny, I move it back to previous HDMI port

I have a E6

Symptoms I have had:
Black screen, audio is fine
Audio cuts out, visual fine.

# On a side note, I realised why I prefer Dolby vision better than HdR10... dynamic metadata makes a HUGE difference.

Hopefully HDMI 2.1 is just a software update, so HDR10 can get dynamic metadata

LoneWolf780

Neo Member
I have an LG 43UH6100 tv. The pro works great on my LG 1080p Plasma but not on the 4k set. Set it all up on the plasma, set it to hdmi 1.4, hdcp off, and 1080p resolution. Tried it again on the 4k tv and ended up getting a blank screen again, went into safe mode and all I get is a red screen with static. Hooked up my OG PS4 to the 4k tv and it works great, hdr also works fine.

I think I'm going to send my unit back to Amazon and maybe pick one up again down the road if these manufacturers sort out all the HDMI issues they're having. This whole issue has become frustrating.

LowSignal

How is this still not fixed? My Xbox S works and has always worked. My ps4pro worked for 2 mins before I had to update it and had to use the safe mode fix to get the Pro back up.

For all of you guys dealing with LG / Vizio issues. Make sure that when you try a game with HDR enabled. You press the home screen button and back out to the dashboard. (leave the game running in the background) Check settings -> sound and screen -> Video Output information and double check you are still at 4k w/HDR.

Or, you can press the display button on your TV's remote to check your current resolution after HDR is enabled.

A friend of mine was playing 4k games at 60 hz fine. But when he played Uncharted 4 and turned on HDR, the resolution of the TV dropped all the way down to 1080p.

LowSignal

For all of you guys dealing with LG / Vizio issues. Make sure that when you try a game with HDR enabled. You press the home screen button and back out to the dashboard. (leave the game running in the background) Check settings -> sound and screen -> Video Output information and double check you are still at 4k w/HDR.

Or, you can press the display button on your TV's remote to check your current resolution after HDR is enabled.

A friend of mine was playing 4k games at 60 hz fine. But when he played Uncharted 4 and turned on HDR, the resolution of the TV dropped all the way down to 1080p.

I have a Vizio m65-c1 that doesn't have HDR and I get no signal(after the update) on the input 5 4k 60Hz. Inputs 1-4 that are 4k 30Hz get 1080p only, same thing on my friend's m50-c1 that I also setup.

I have a Vizio m65-c1 that doesn't have HDR and I get no signal(after the update) on the input 5 4k 60Hz. Inputs 1-4 that are 4k 30Hz get 1080p only, same thing on my friend's m50-c1 that I also setup.

Did you find a workaround? I have the same TV and I got it somewhat fixed, but still not a permanent solution. Try reading my posts and finding a workaround.

Is Sony aware of the issues with Vizio and LG.

Lol it's like they are doing it deliberately to get people to buy their own Bravias.

Not going to lie though the Sony X800D is fucking gorgeous.

Chaplain

I have a 2015 Vizio M43-C1. I get a black screen every time I turn on the system. The only fix I have found is unplugging the power cord (after failing to display a picture), plugging the power cable back in, turning it on, and then it finally displays a picture.

When is Sony going to issue a patch that fixes this problem?

neogafdave

Neo Member
Update:

So I was playing last night and the issue was happening like 1 or 2 times a minute. So I removed the HDMI coupler that I'm using for my PS VR and plugged the HDMI cable directly to my TV. I didn't use the HDMI that came with the Pro. Instead, I used one of the Amazon High Speed basic cabled. I didn't see the problem happen again.

I have a couple of "high quality" cables coming in that I'm going to test out along with the coupler and see how it works,

Had the same thing playing infinite warfare multiplayer. Had been playing titanfall 2 for 3 hours with nonissues, then in my 2nd match on IW it would randomly go black for a second or two, then be fine for a few minutes, then do it again. I was using an amazon high speed with Ethernet cable, and my Samsung is on the latest FW (1150). Ive replaced the cable with the one in the pro box, let's see if it happens again today

I have a 2015 Vizio M43-C1. I get a black screen every time I turn on the system. The only fix I have found is unplugging the power cord (after failing to display a picture), plugging the power cable back in, turning it on, and then it finally displays a picture.

When is Sony going to issue a patch that fixes this problem?

Are you plugged into HDMI 5 on the TV?

I'm having this issue with my verizon cable box also on my LG old c6p. You can actually go get it working without turning off your ps4. Go to the all inputs menu and universal control and reset/register device. I think.k it's a hand shake issue with the LG tvs.

Chaplain

Ensure you're not automatically logging in to your console when you start it. Press X on the controller. The black screen should go away.

Originally, I wasn't logged in automatically but was getting a black screen. Turning on automatic login fixed it for one bootup. Then the problem returned.

I will turn off automatic login today and let you know if this fixed it (doubt it though).

Kawika

I am having issues with the Pro that I am not having with my XBOX ONE S.

All inputs are the same on my sony tv 65x810c.

Input 2 XBOX ONE S

I had to switch the HDMI from standard to expanded signal. This allowed me to have everything but HDR10 Supported. Streaming 4K seems to work as does UHD Blurays.

Input 3 PS4 Pro

I tried expanded but I just get a blank screen. Tried popping it into safe mode and I was able to get 2160 YOV420 (i think thats what its called). It will not recognize my 2.2 Signal. Theoretically, my TV will support the 2160 RGB but currently no matter what I try, no matter what input I choose the best I can hope for is 2160 via 1.4 HDCP.

I think this is clearly a Pro issue and not an issue with my TV and from what I am seeing around town that the launch patch kind of jacked up the handshake the PS4 makes with 2.2 HDCP.

geordiemp

I had a similar problem with my Panasonic Viera AX802 and having to use safe mode. It's hdcp 2.2 compatible but it turns out you have to go to the tv menu -> setup -> HDMI4 HDCP Setting and then switch from auto to 2.2 and it now works fine.

I have same TV, I just set it from auto to 1.4 as that allows full RGB at 60 Hz from the Pro, which I understand is the best output for TV;s that dont have HDR.

2.2 forces the Pro into YUV 420 which is a lower setting than full RGB, and not worth it as TV does not do HDR.

geordiemp

I am having issues with the Pro that I am not having with my XBOX ONE S.

All inputs are the same on my sony tv 65x810c.

Input 2 XBOX ONE S

I had to switch the HDMI from standard to expanded signal. This allowed me to have everything but HDR10 Supported. Streaming 4K seems to work as does UHD Blurays.

Input 3 PS4 Pro

I tried expanded but I just get a blank screen. Tried popping it into safe mode and I was able to get 2160 YOV420 (i think thats what its called). It will not recognize my 2.2 Signal. Theoretically, my TV will support the 2160 RGB but currently no matter what I try, no matter what input I choose the best I can hope for is 2160 via 1.4 HDCP.

I think this is clearly a Pro issue and not an issue with my TV and from what I am seeing around town that the launch patch kind of jacked up the handshake the PS4 makes with 2.2 HDCP.

Remember that The highest bit rate possible on a 4K tv through HDMI is 2160p RGB at 60 Hz, and the hand shake only needs 1.4. This means you need a 16 gbps spec cable.

You have to downgrade to YUV 420 to get HDR in games if your TV can do HDR.

Blu ray on Xb1s would not need a high spec cable as its 24 FPS as I understand.

Top Bottom