• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Pro Boost Test Video Compilation Thread

massucci

Banned
I seen undoubtful improvement in some games from those videos, especially in AC Unity for example, but I'd like to go more deeper inside Just Cause 3 and The Evil Within. There are surely improvement here, but some comparison seems intentionally routed to appears better of the reality. I'd swear to have noticed some ugly dips in other similar videos in those games, by others youtube users.
I can't wait to a DF scrutine.

JP

That looks pretty good to me.

For anybody on here who has played the PS4 version of Heavy Rain, am I correct in thinking that there are issues with this version and that it crashes quiet a bit? I seem to remember reading something like that ages ago but I have no idea if it was ever fixed.

After watching this video I really fancy playing through the game again, it was one of my favourite PS3 games.

I find it weird that considering the boost appears to be enabled at a OS/base level, why does it not boost the system overall, in-turn boosting all games - including games that have a 'pro update'. So the mode specifically targets games that haven't had pro-updates?

Symphonia

Banned
I find it weird that considering the boost appears to be enabled at a OS/base level, why does it not boost the system overall, in-turn boosting all games - including games that have a 'pro update'. So the mode specifically targets games that haven't had pro-updates?
Yes.

The mode boosts all games without a Pro patch to replicate a Pro patch.

Muninn

Banned
I really don't know why From cannot do a Pro patch with a little supersampling. Really kind of pisses me off but I'll take the extra frames.

Does anyone know how much the boost helps BB in total? I watched the vid but I can't quite tell. I have a new 850 Pro SSD in my Pro so I am ready to go.

Crumpo

Yes.

The mode boosts all games without a Pro patch to replicate a Pro patch.

Sorry if it's been asked, but there's no impact to leaving boost mode on all the time, is there? For pro enhanced games boost mode doesn't kick in and for non-patched games it does.

Is it really that simple? Maybe I just have low expectations, given the amount of faff needed to get my pro setup.

SAiLO

Now if I wanted to I could even justify the Pro purchase to my fiancee. Not that I'd ever need to.

Solid work Sony.

Xyber

Sorry if it's been asked, but there's no impact to leaving boost mode on all the time, is there? For pro enhanced games boost mode doesn't kick in and for non-patched games it does.

Is it really that simple? Maybe I just have low expectations, given the amount of faff needed to get my pro setup.

Pro games are specifically instructing the Pro to use all the power. Non-pro games does not. So when the PS4 knows it's playing a non-pro game, it automatically gives the game all the power anyway.

Symphonia

Banned

It has no impact on Pro-patched games whatsoever.

Crumpo

It has no impact on Pro-patched games whatsoever.

Thanks both for the answers!

Very excited to try it when the FW releases; I am going to hold back playing some of my older backlog so I can see the benefits!

Does anyone know how Sleeping Dogs came out in boost mode? It was very choppy on my last playthrough...

edit: I'm at work so can't watch any of the videos in the OP.

MGR

Does anyone know how Sleeping Dogs came out in boost mode? It was very choppy on my last playthrough...

edit: I'm at work so can't watch any of the videos in the OP.

It's significantly better. Particularly the driving.

massucci

Banned
It's significantly better. Particularly the driving.
Good to hear. Sleeping Dog has serious issue in the most crowded area. I never seen a fps stress test but I could swear 20 fps it's very frequent in those situations.
Jeez I can't wait to test all the problematic ps4 games with this marvelous mode.

Ferr986

How would it boost pro patched games? Thing is non pro patched games run on a downclocked PS4 PRO to match OG PS4 specs. The boost just puts the regular clocks on PRO. Patched games runs with Pro specs so it's already boosted.

Paz

The key to understanding this kind of thing is always to work backwards until you get to the basics, once you understand what Boost Mode does it'll be obvious why it doesn't work with pro compatible games.

Normally, a PS4 pro runs at full speed playing a game that knows its on a PS4 pro, but when you play an old PS4 game on a Pro the game never says "Hey I'm running on a pro" and so the console throttles itself back to the performance of an original PS4 just to make sure everything's gonna be OK.

Now, with boost mode, you can tell the PS4 Pro to never throttle itself even when it doesn't get the message that the game is PS4 pro compatible. This results in older games running better but could also mean some games have issues where they are expecting a PS4 and not a PS4 Pro.

That's why it's a use at your own risk feature, and why it works in the games it does.

SpokkX

I really don't know why From cannot do a Pro patch with a little supersampling. Really kind of pisses me off but I'll take the extra frames.

Does anyone know how much the boost helps BB in total? I watched the vid but I can't quite tell. I have a new 850 Pro SSD in my Pro so I am ready to go.

Framerate is pretty much locked @30 even i multiplayer (only played a bit coop though, but frames were dropped before)

Loading is faster

Framepacing is greatly reduced to a point where it is more a minor issues. For example the game barely stutters when running full speed through an area, before running through a populated area produced massive stuttering

massucci

Banned
Framerate is pretty much locked @30 even i multiplayer (only played a bit coop though, but frames were dropped before)

Loading is faster

Framepacing is greatly reduced to a point where it is more a minor issues. For example the game barely stutters when running full speed through an area, before running through a populated area produced massive stuttering
Framepacing it's not related to fps issue. It's well worth known. No way could be improved with just this boost.

Hackbert

does the noise of the ps4pro get louder under boost mode? warranty problems? sounds all great, would love to tackle just cause 3 finally without that horrible performance

Diablos

does the noise of the ps4pro get louder under boost mode? warranty problems? sounds all great, would love to tackle just cause 3 finally without that horrible performance

What do you mean by warranty "problems"

If you're using an official feature of the console and it stops working right then you'd still be covered if your warranty hasn't expired.

SpokkX

Framepacing it's not related to fps issue. It's well worth known. No way could be improved with just this boost.

Yes framepacing issues are definately reduced also

I am guessing the framepacing improvements are related to the cpu being higher clocked

My bet is that FROM runs background tasks on the same cores as the main game thread. The cpu clock improvement therefore reduces the framepacing issues since the cpu is faster and is not maxed out as much

There is NO DOUBT the game stutters less

Has there been any proof of games with dynamic resolutions running at a higher resolution or maintaining a full 1080p more consistently?

JP

Would it be worth listing in the first post games that people want to be tested? That way people can check the list and give it a quick go if they own the game?

AndyD

aka andydumi
Played some Tower of Monsters and it's both smoother and loads faster. Especially on the top levels where you can see a ton of stuff in the distance.

OG CPU runs at 1.6 GHz. Pro CPU runs at 2.13 GHz.

This means that CPU-bound games (especially those ones that utilize only 1 CPU core & the inefficient GNMX API) can have 33% higher framerates, due to having 33% higher single-threaded performance. This explains cases like AC Unity & Just Cause 3.

Pro patched games already utilize the higher CPU frequency, so there's zero benefit.

Theoretically Sony could boost OG clocks, as long as the cooling system could handle it, but it's clearly not designed for that, especially in 28nm.

Marvel Ultimate Alliance might the best best example of boost mode...went from 30fps to seemingly a locked 60.

I played Overwatch last night and had my best match ever (normally I'm pretty terrible) so obviously it was all thanks to boost mode.

Ganrob

Neo Member
Is there really no way of showing FPS on console? I would think that standard feature would be on consoles by now.

Disker

Marvel Ultimate Alliance might the best best example of boost mode...went from 30fps to seemingly a locked 60.

I played Overwatch last night and had my best match ever (normally I'm pretty terrible) so obviously it was all thanks to boost mode.

Lol that placebo effect :p.

Sorry to burst your bubble but it has a PRO patch, therefore boost mode does not effect it.

Did anyone try the F2P games? Warframe, Neverwinter (gets very choppy when there are multiple characters in a town) etc...?

Hey giancarlo, was lurking through your videos and great job covering so many games. In your opinion what did you think of the PS2 games, did they see some kind of improvement?
I didn't notice much, I'm thinking everything may be placebo. If I have a chance I'll do videos with boost off to compare.

Top Bottom