• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Pro Won't Support 4k BluRay

statham

Btw. my first post was here about 2 weeks ago. You called me obsessed? How about those who trying to push lack of UHD here constantly, hm? They're not obsessed? Surely, they are the loudest from bunch. Oh, yes, they are cool, right. And you are eypertise? Every FLOPS costs. Be sure that PS4 Pro wouldn't be at 4.2 TFLOPS with UHD drive built-in at 399.
you are system warrioring something that you shouldn't do. many peeps want UHD, its not about beating the other system here, peeps have one system connected to the TV, and they want 4k bluray with the 4k TV, no system war, nothing about games, peeps want one system to play 4k games and 4k blurays. why fight this?, fight that Xbox doesn't have nier, zelda or persona5.

c0de

Btw. my first post was here about 2 weeks ago. You called me obsessed? How about those who trying to push lack of UHD here constantly, hm? They're not obsessed? Surely, they are the loudest from bunch. Oh, yes, they are cool, right. And you are eypertise? Every FLOPS costs. Be sure that PS4 Pro wouldn't be at 4.2 TFLOPS with UHD drive built-in at 399.

33 posts from you on that time frame. Now show us the people who are “obsessed“ and their post count on that time frame.
Also someone should tell Microsoft that there is a dependency between the power of the console and which disc drive a console has.
This is just hilarious.

holygeesus

Banned
The new Samsung UHD player, is strongly rumoured to be launching with a free copy of Planet Earth 2 over here, for what it's worth, if people are that desperate. Launches in May.

Otherwise, you can get the 8500 for just over £200 here now, if you shop around. For a new format, that seems like a pretty decent deal. (not sure if you still get 3 free discs with it mind)

Munter

So you're more interested in a 4K player then?
Save money and buy a standalone player then.

Otherwise I don't see why you won't upgrade.

I have a 4K TV with a standard PS4. I want to upgrade to the Pro to make use of the TV, but without the 4K blu ray player, I'm finding it hard to justify the purchase.

Theonik

33 posts from you on that time frame. Now show us the people who are “obsessed“ and their post count on that time frame.
Also someone should tell Microsoft that there is a dependency between the power of the console and which disc drive a console has.
This is just hilarious.
If they are targetting a fixed BOM of course increasing the cost of the drive requires cuts elsewhere. Bottom line is that if Sony thought they could get a ROI on the UHD drive it would have one. The fact that it doesn't is indicative of how much Sony values said drive.

CrayToes

You sure as shit sound obsessed.

Conduit

Banned
33 posts from you on that time frame. Now show us the people who are “obsessed“ and their post count on that time frame..

LOL! How low you can go.
1st - you counted my posts wrongly. 2nd - there is a at least one who wrote more posts than i in 2 weeks ( if that so how about you should count posts from page 1 onwards and you will find surely who wrote more posts in 2 weeks ). 3rd - this post doesn't count cuz i wouldn't wrote this post if you didn't asked me to do it.

c0de

LOL! How low you can go.
1st - you counted my posts wrongly. 2nd - there is a at least one who wrote more posts than i in 2 weeks ( if that so how about you should count posts from page 1 onwards and you will find surely who wrote more posts in 2 weeks ). 3rd - this post doesn't count cuz i wouldn't wrote this post if you didn't asked me to do it.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/misc.php?do=whoposted&t=1275171
"Conduit 34"
Subtracting this one makes it 33. So much for "my" counting abilities which shows your counting "abilities".
But yes, you were lying when you said "Btw. my first post was here about 2 weeks ago." because the first post was here:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=224351091&postcount=4040

15$ can affect production cost.

So, if there is at least one person which you think is "obsessed" and has even more posts which shows at least the same attitude as compiled here:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=233015701&postcount=5681
or has at least the same knowledge, please enlighten us all with evidence or proof.

Conduit

Banned
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/misc.php?do=whoposted&t=1275171
"Conduit 34"
Subtracting this one makes it 33. So much for "my" counting abilities which shows your counting "abilities".
But yes, you were lying when you said "Btw. my first post was here about 2 weeks ago." because the first post was here:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=224351091&postcount=4040

15$ can affect production cost.

So, if there is at least one person which you think is "obsessed" and has even more posts which shows at least the same attitude as compiled here:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=233015701&postcount=5681
or has at least the same knowledge, please enlighten us all with evidence or proof.

I said : DON'T COUNT MY LAST POST. Do you understand what i said or no? Yes, you counted my posts wrongly. I forgot about post from last year and that's why i said in post before that you counted it wrongly. The Artisan has more posts than i. But i'm sure you have the time to count posts from each member who wrote over 30 posts in 2 weeks from page 1 onwards. Take your time. You can go lower. Cheers!

The hell?
He just proved you wrong. Are you 12?
You don't have to count when your post count is listed on this forum per thread.

Fuck! IN LAST 2 WEEKS! I didn't wrote 33 posts in last 2 weeks. If i'm 12, you're 4 then. Also you can't count some posts if somebody asked you for answer.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I said : DON'T COUNT MY LAST POST. Do you understand what i said or no? Yes, you counted my posts wrongly. I forgot about post from last year and that's why i said in post before that you counted it wrongly. The Artisan has more posts than i. But i'm sure you have the time to count posts from each member who wrote over 30 posts in 2 weeks from page 1 onwards. Take your time. You can go lower. Cheers!

The hell?
He just proved you wrong. Are you 12?
You don't have to count when your post count is listed on this forum per thread.

Do it. its a better UHD player than the x1s by far as for what it supports. It's 250$ on sale at BB atm and 214$ if you find one open box/refurb. Also the X1S has issues playing the latest UHDs on occasion anyway. And in particular doesn't play as nice with samsung setups for some reason. It's been discussed in the bluray forums quite regularly. Also loads faster than the new Sony UHD player although that player is 299.99 atm and you can get 2 free SONY UHD movies by mail. But if you would rather go that route its also fine just be aware the 8500 loads a bit faster.

Thanks; yeah I see refurbished ones on Amazon for $180, so I think I will pull the trigger.

Theonik

That's a different meaning and sentence and especially doesn't mean you have to cut flops.
A smaller SOC (so less flops) is just one of the ways Sony could have saved that money. It is a silly debate because Sony would never do that because they consider spending more on the SOC to have a greater impact on sales and so a higher ROI than investing more on other parts of the console.

Which is why they chose to cut the drive out instead. It's not really complicated, while it is of course impossible to really tell.

Still you are talking about tens of millions of dollars on that decision, especially when Sony saves a ton of money by making both the slim and pro on very similar production lines, actually sharing the same BD drive assembly across both SKUs. The cost of adding a UHD drive on the Pro would be higher than just $15 and would have probably also affected the slim.

Lupercal

Banned
I have a 4K TV with a standard PS4. I want to upgrade to the Pro to make use of the TV, but without the 4K blu ray player, I'm finding it hard to justify the purchase.

Then it's either wait for PS5 or Scorpio.

I upgraded to a Pro for my 4K tv. Might look into buying the Samsung 4K player but only when there's enough content and the price drops enough for them.

Won't spend 30 € for a 4K movie when the BR version is 15 € or less.

Also, there's definitely someone trolling in this thread and it's not Artisan. I'm not sure why certain folks are so uncomfortable with this thread being bumped. If you don't like it, don't read it and don't post in it. Simple.
I'm glad other people understand. This bump wasn't done by me this time around but in general I don't see why people take issue with large threads getting bumped. Just don't post in them if you don't want to join the discussion.
This thread is like an ingrown hair on my ass. I don't mind it but every once in a while I have to re-adjust because it's such a pain.
I'm not gonna lie, this part of your post is making me lol. Bro, if it pains you seeing this thread get bumped why join in again?
you are system warrioring something that you shouldn't do. many peeps want UHD, its not about beating the other system here, peeps have one system connected to the TV, and they want 4k bluray with the 4k TV, no system war, nothing about games, peeps want one system to play 4k games and 4k blurays. why fight this?, fight that Xbox doesn't have nier, zelda or persona5.
THIS. Exactly what sentiment I've been trying to say you've stated it plain and simple.

What qualifies as big to you? UHD TVs had significant growth over last year. Amazon, Netflix, and Vudu are expanding their UHD content. Consoles are pushing UHD too. UHD Blu rays exceeded their sales expectations and shelf space is increasing at Best Buy, Target, Wal Mart and other places, not remaining static or shrinking. UHD is growing just fine and is anything but nothing or no big deal.
do you have a source for that? almost everybody else seems to say otherwise

c0de

What qualifies as big to you? UHD TVs had significant growth over last year. Amazon, Netflix, and Vudu are expanding their UHD content. Consoles are pushing UHD too. UHD Blu rays exceeded their sales expectations and shelf space is increasing at Best Buy, Target, Wal Mart and other places, not remaining static or shrinking. UHD is growing just fine and is anything but nothing or no big deal.

Not to mention that the Xbox One is probably the most sold player for UHD bluray in general and I wonder how much of general attention the format got additionally just because MS decided to put it in the S version.

inner-G

Banned
Watching Planet Earth II on UHD - I still I think it was a mistake not to include it in the pro.

I 'feel' like Planet Earth is somehow connected to PS after watching the original so much on my PS3, it seems odd watching this on an xbox. I honestly wouldn't even have an XBO if not for UHD.

Justified

Anyone watch Planet Earth II with a 4K TV but standard Blu-ray yet?

Does it still blow you away?

I havent unwrapped mine yet, but I keep thinking I should return it for the 4K version and buy a UHD player, even though it maybe my on UHD movie on disc

Lupercal

Banned

I havent unwrapped mine yet, but I keep thinking I should return it for the 4K version and buy a UHD player, even though it maybe my on UHD movie on disc

Part 1 still looks amazing, haven't bought part 2 yet.

Dynomutt

Awesome thread for that @SolidusDave does a pretty thorough overview that may help!

Yaaay, finally my UHD copy arrived!

Only watched one episode so far as this is my first UHD and HDR content on XB1 so I was mostly testing and comparing to set everything up.

Luckily I already have spent a LOT of time with PS4 games to configure my custom SDR and HDR modes on my TV, so it was mostly fine-tuning for the XB1S / a new HDMI input (btw most important setting is to set the blacks to high for XB1S as otherwise there will be blackcrush).

Like all UHD Blu-rays, PE2 comes with the standard Blu-ray version included.
That allowed me to play the Blu-ray version via PS4 and the UHD version via XB1S and then just switch between the channels back and forth.

Thoughts:
- The higher resolution is probably the smallest noticeable difference. This is similar to games I guess, it's just diminishing returns at this point. Still, I can appreciate that everything just looks a bit sharper and crisp, even so when you get close to the TV. You won't really see more details suddenly but the Blu-ray is noticeably more blurry for stuff like fur etc.
The difference in resolution/sharpness from DVD to BD was definitely more noticeable back then. I should also mention that image quality in PE2 varies even in 4K a bit depending on the scene and lighting, some scenes you know they had their best cameras set up perfectly and that footage just really pops.

- The HDR is sooooo good. Even on my non-OLED with mediocre HDR capabilities. I think I will upgrade my TV sooner this time, maybe in a few years when those peak-brightness models are standard.
Sidenote: My TV has 3 HDR preset modes and the standard/bright ones are pretty good with natural colors, but still required some calibration to disable some smoothing post-processing etc. Also, unlike SDR the warm presets look really bad so I definitely left it at neutral in HDR to get natural looking colors.

Switching back and forth between the UHD and Blu-ray version made the BR look so bland in comparison haha. You simply cannot reach that pop/contrast of HDR without sacrificing image quality and natural look in SDR.
For gaming folks: it's basically on the same level as switching HDR and SDR in FFXV.

- The UHD image gets rid of virtually all artifacts you can detect in the Blu-ray.
Right in the intro the cgi sun will produce some heavy color banding BR but in 4K with the wider color space there is literally no color banding, just a perfect gradient.
Other things noticeable are flickering/noisy shadows on BR while the UHD image in those scenes is crystal clear. I wonder if that's actually an artifact from the codec though (H.264 vs HEVC).

There are 3x 60 min episodes on one 50 GB Blu-ray disc each, with a bit of extras. Each 1080i episode is ca. 12.7 GB big (H.264). Obviously I can't check that for UHD but as the discs are 66 GB UHD BRs I would estimate each 2160p episode to be ca. 20+ GB - and that's without extras, 10 min shorter (the making of part is not available in 4K) and in HEVC codec.

Once my curiosity was satisfied, I could really enjoy watching the episode in the highest quality possible (and FINALLY, maxing out my TV). I'm glad I waited with my first watch for this experience. As it was already said constantly in this thread, the actual content is amazing of course.

Bonus: I really, really like getting the standard Blu-ray included. I'm currently ripping them onto my Plex server for convenience / having a digital copy that is better than streaming versions.

Edit: Oh wow, there are differences in the actual episodes between the Blu-ray and the UHD version!
Seems to only affect the start and end of the episodes, but e.g. in the Cities episode the 4K version starts with Singapore's Gardens by the Bay at night (which looks fantastic) and then goes to the Hong Kong scene. That night scene seems to be completely missing in the 1080p version from what I can tell. Then at the end, the voice-over monologue within the same scene is different. Probably to account for the missing transition into the David Attenborough scenes.
Maybe the UHD is some kind of international edition?

Justified

Damn!!!! I cant resist, Im about to buy a Bone for Planet Earth II. Im talking to everyone I know to talk me out of it since I probably wont use it outside of this. The real system seller

March NPD hardware winner will be XBone due to PE II, you saw it here first!!!!

Lady Gaia

This is by no means a slam dunk IMO, but things seems to be going fairly well.

https://hdguru.com/bda-ultra-hd-blu-ray-sales-surpassing-expectations/

Given that the BDA is literally the organization charged with promoting the format, I'm not sure I'd take a positive press release from them as any kind of clear indicator. Comparing uptake on Blu-ray which had strong direct competition from HD-DVD from day one with UHD Blu-ray is difficult to handicap. A lot of people sat on the sidelines waiting for a winner to emerge in the HD media wars. Admittedly there will be plenty who sit this one out in favor of streaming, but how comparable are the two situations?

Given that the BDA is literally the organization charged with promoting the format, I'm not sure I'd take a positive press release from them as any kind of clear indicator. Comparing uptake on Blu-ray which had strong direct competition from HD-DVD from day one with UHD Blu-ray is difficult to handicap. A lot of people sat on the sidelines waiting for a winner to emerge in the HD media wars. Admittedly there will be plenty who sit this one out in favor of streaming, but how comparable are the two situations?
i'm not sure what you mean, why is it doubtful that this news is encouraging for 4K blu ray adopters just because the bda themselves announced it? it 's doing better than they thought it would

Lady Gaia

i'm not sure what you mean, why is it doubtful that this news is encouraging for 4K blu ray adopters just because the bda themselves announced it? it 's doing better than they thought it would

That's pretty much textbook for promoting your product. The BDA's job is literally to put a positive spin on results regardless of what they are. If you don't announce targets ahead of time then nobody can call you on it when you claim to exceed expectations. Haven't we seen plenty of examples of this in the console industry? It doesn't mean the format is doing poorly, but it's also far from an objective assessment of success.

That's pretty much textbook for promoting your product. The BDA's job is literally to put a positive spin on results regardless of what they are. If you don't announce targets ahead of time then nobody can call you on it when you claim to exceed expectations. Haven't we seen plenty of examples of this in the console industry? It doesn't mean the format is doing poorly, but it's also far from an objective assessment of success.

Fair enough. I'll still take this news over more dismal news though.

Lupercal

Banned
They're only talking about TV's though right ?
And if the startnumber is very small it's easy to have huge gains.
If 100 people in 2016 had a 4K tv and 80 people buy one in 2017, that's an 80% gain.

They're only talking about TV's though right ?
And if the startnumber is very small it's easy to have huge gains.
If 100 people in 2016 had a 4K tv and 80 people buy one in 2017, that's an 80% gain.
no, they were also talking about 4K blu ray - and it's selling more than they thought although the source also talks about tvs

Daante

Seeing as Sony themselves now also sells stand alone 4k blue ray players, i wonder if this decision ultimately came down to internal conflicts.

Slim to none I'd reckon.
Agreed. If they were going to do it, they would've done it with the Pro.

I think it was boneheaded of them not to include it - I buy a shit tonne of movies, and it just means I won't be buying any UHD Blu-rays now - but they made their decision and I expect them to stick to it. PS5 is when they'll offer it IMHO (2019).

I personally think the likely hood is high. I think you see a ps4 pro with uhd player or ps4 super slim with uhd. Albeit weird it it does, and the pro doesn't.

If they can't or don't, i think regular ps4 goes to $199.

Whatever happens, I'm convinced don't had new hardware for E3. If it is regular ps4, ps4 pro or vita 2, I don't know.

Top Bottom