• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Pro Won't Support 4k BluRay

Man. This is a fucking bummer. Might not get this thing now. I had just told my wife that I was going to let the PSVR pass me by to get the new console... maybe not.

Durante

I don't understand why they would do this. Surely, the additional cost is marginal, and Blu-ray / media capabilities in general seems like something they'd be interested in pushing.

Confusing.

True Fire

Wow, I was getting my 499 Canadian dollars ready and everything and I'm probably not even going to buy it now lol. Huge oversight Sony.

I'd be better off buying an Xbox One anyway since I already have a PS4 ;)

Fredrik

Streaming, not blu-ray.
Oh. But that doesn't make any sense. MS and Nintendo excluding UHD blu-ray could make sense, but Sony? Is it a cost issue? They sell 4K TVs, 4K projectors, 4K blu-ray players, 4K receivers, and they're really pushing for 4K for PS4 Pro but it won't support 4K blu-ray? Are they afraid to lose 4K blu-ray player sales?

Ok, so after all of the 4K marketing this will do nothing at actual 4K?

The closest it is going to get is compressed to heck and back streaming, YouTube and Netflix etc, depending on if you have an amazing connection or not... Am I understanding this right?

Ridley327

https://twitter.com/Rob_Crossley_/status/773616813959745536

T2htWmG.png

There you go.

Boy, this isn't confusing messaging at all!

What a fuck-up. I don't think Sony has messed up this bad in a long time.

Man 4K and HDR can go fuck themselves. If you want 4K games go play on PS4 Pro. If you want 4K Blu-ray go get a stupid expensive player or an XBO S, but don't expect to play 4K games on that. If you want HDR stick with a normal PS4, but if you want 4K AND HDR better get the Pro, but not Blu-rays, so get the S for that. But if you want HDR10 you can get a Samsung 4K TV, but if you want DolbyVision you better get a Vizio. And if you want HDR games but not crappy input lag you better wait at least another year.

Or maybe fuck all of it?

I agree. The 2 different HDR formats need to get sorted. Input lag needs to come way down on 4K tvs before they are appropriate for gaming.

farisr

This move basically made the console go from a "sure buy" to a "no buy" for my brother and he's actually considering the Xbox One S now despite generally liking Sony's offerings.

What a disaster.

This is undefensible.. Streaming 4k isnt a valid option. The quality will still be worse than playing 4k off the disc. Simple as that.

What a disaster.

This is stupid.... then again, I'm not planning on buying 4k Blu rays anyway..... not until the price for them drops to 10 bucks or less.

Gigamear

So let me get this straight, games that are ps4 pro optimized will be standard ps4 quality on disc, but when you put the disc in the ps4 pro you have to download a patch or something to upgrade it?

Ridley327

Just so people get an idea of how crazy this is: Sony's own 4K discs play on an Xbox and not their own hardware.

Figure out how that shit works.

Mobius 1

Look at this well informed group of hardware engineers with certainty over the product management decisions of a large corporation.   😂

So let me get this straight, games that are ps4 pro optimized will be standard ps4 quality on disc, but when you put the disc in the ps4 pro you have to download a patch or something to upgrade it?

Correct, there will be a patch that will presumably have upgraded textures etc.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Probably why they didn't call it PS4K.

Not even joking.

killroy87

It's a hilarious move. The leap in graphical quality is already questionable. It's like they're just giving reasons for people to stick with their current PS4, and get an XboneS

Rudiano

Banned
I guess this is what happens when Sony rush the console to get ahead start of the Scorpio! November 2016? Im sure everyone thought it would be 2017

Tainted

Is this something which could be patched in post release via firmware or is it a hardware limitation?

Even if it was able to be added via firmware, I doubt they will otherwise they would have put it in there at release.

baffling decision

Top Bottom