• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Pro Won't Support 4k BluRay

jackdoe

Trying to get people to use streaming services of companies they're partnered with, maybe?
That and the fact that they actually don't have a stand alone UHD Blu-Ray player out on the market (which actually shows how disinterested they are in the product). It's a total bummer, and they probably just netted MS an Xbox One S purchase (as I'll have to buy that to supplement the PS4 Pro in the media department).

RoKKeR

https://twitter.com/Rob_Crossley_/status/773616813959745536

T2htWmG.png

There you go.

What a stupid "reason."

How can you sell a box that is built upon 4K compatibility, yet deny one of the primary forms of 4K media? I absolutely cannot fathom this.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Honestly, this is bullshit. How do you release something like this and not put in 4K Blu-Ray support? I may still buy, but that's a big disappointment.

Same. I happen to have a xbox one S, so it doesn't sting as much, but it's still annoying as hell.

I think this is positive proof to those who joke that GAF is SonyGAF that it's not. Everybody shits on them when they make shitty decisions, as it's appropriate.

boyshine

4K blu-ray was going to be the way to convince my wife to buy a second console. I guess I'll wait for a PS5

Sell your Xbox One (which is what I'm guessing you have right now) for a PS4 Pro, and then use the UHDBD-argument to get an Xbox One S (or Scorpio if you can wait). Problem solved.

marrec

Banned
Like with the Slim discussion early last week:

I get it. Physical Media is dead in the water and 4K Blurays aren't going to fly off the shelves. Streaming media is where people will be enjoying their UHD content (even if it's not actually UHD content).

But this is even more baffling than not having 4k Bluray in the slim.

This is your premium product Sony. And now your premium product doesn't look as good as Microsofts Slim.

I'm legitimately flabbergasted. It couldn't have cost THAT much extra to include the playback ability and would have been a nice bit of tech to help justify those of us who're on the fence about upgrading from the normal PS4.

Why would I get a PS4 Pro if I have a 4k TV capable of streaming UHD content? For better looking Uncharted 4? :lol okay.

Zedox

Well, that's dumb. I don't personally care for Blu-ray. I still think it's a dumb decision. Sucks for the videophiles.

kaskade

Did they really think people weren't going to care? Was this a case of the 1st place, people will buy our shit no matter what syndrome?

Gigamear

In other words, the ps4.5 is just that - an extension of the ps4. same exact discs and all. They probably did this to anchor unreliable tech devs like ubisoft into making sure the "standard" quality of the game is at least playable

Sony got up there and talked about a ton of 4k and yet this machine doesn't even really do anything in true 4k.

Even when talking about the games Cerny said how they were "astonishingly close" to 4k. And it will stream 4k which will be heavily artifacted compared to a disc

Tecnniqe

Banned

Focus on games when half the conference was about shiny new TVs and netflix?

This seems like a massive oversight considering the whole conference they just showed.

If MS can manage to squeeze on in the slim for $200 or whatever im sure Sony of all could manage it.

What a stupid "reason."

How can you sell a box that is built upon 4K compatibility, yet deny one of the primary forms of 4K media? I absolutely cannot fathom this.

The markets have spoken, physical media has been on the way out, especially for movies and audio.

Why invest in a format that likely won't make much money.

Bedlam

Huge fuckup for Sony. This will become the narrative in the coming months of console wars, even if the importance of physical media decreases.

They should rectify this asap. Otherwise this may basically kill the PS4 Pro's chances against the competition.

bowld

Doesnt bother me as I dont buy DVD's. As long as I can stream 4k I am happy

That being said, with my OG PS4 getting HDR update I may not buy a pro anyways

Paganmoon

Weren't Sony going to focus on synergy a while back? This is dumb as shit for a console that's saying it's going to push 4k content and HDR.

GHG

Well, that's dumb. I don't personally care for Blu-ray. I still think it's a dumb decision. Sucks for the videophiles.

Agreed.

But then if you are a videophile wouldn't you buy a standalone rather than a games console?
Genuinely asking as I have no idea about this stuff.

Tagyhag

Sony got up there and talked about a ton of 4k and yet this machine doesn't even really do anything in true 4k.

Even when talking about the games Cerny said how they were "astonishingly close" to 4k. And it will stream 4k which will be heavily artifacted compared to a disc

You know how people were asking why they can't name it "PS4K?"

Reasons like these are why.

RuGalz

I think it could be a decision to cut down the cost from having to license another thing. That said, the hardware is capable so they could easily release a software Player that will require you to buy from PSN to pass on the cost.

It's kind of funny to think that 10 years ago Sony basically tanked the PS3 to include a blu-ray disk reader and now won't even include a 4k disc reader in their console aimed at 4k.

Top Bottom