• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Slim Review

ethomaz

Banned
No optical port is kind of a big deal no?
Well if you live in the last century yes /jk

To be fair nobody with a good/mordem system will use Optical Port anymore because the High Quality / Uncompressed audio can't pass thought it.

So you need to go with HDMI in any case.

On Demand

Banned
To bring down the price, enhance cooling, etc. Same reason Sony did the PS3 slim and the PS2 slim. It's not about adding features, it's about saving money, both for them and the consumer

Lately everyone's been acting like they've never seen a console revision before.

Dredd97

I'm betting on $249. If the One S can do $299 with a UHD drive, no reason this can't go for the jugular at $249

Andrew House steps up to the mic..

"$199.99 fuckers.. available now.. (or last week if your in Manchester)"

"$299.99 neo bitches 2 x PS4 power available in November, or October in Liverpool"..

drops mic..

I don't really understand why they spread the USB ports apart like that and I don't really care for how that part of it looks.

Overall the design has grown on me, but i'll wait for neo.

The Neo is two slims sandwiched together if those Foxconn leaks from yesterday are to be believed.

gbland

That's because the hardware wizards at Sony made the OG PS4 so small already. Seriously, I remember when it finally got shown, I was floored by how small the thing was.

LOL yeah I was surprised too. I think Microsoft could've made the OG Xbox one smaller but they didn't want to risk another red ring fiasco.

I don't really understand why they spread the USB ports apart like that and I don't really care for how that part of it looks.

Overall the design has grown on me, but i'll wait for neo.

Betting money on an official USB hub that'll connect to both ports and give more outputs

Not really. People with older receivers can get bitstream DD and DTS by connecting the TV to the receiver (most HDTVs have optical out). If they don't, you can get an HDMI to optical audio extractor for cheap.

Optical is an aging format, it's time to let it go

<3

Virtual surround sound headphone gamers would beg to differ. Some expensive devices out there with excellent sound quality (looking at you, Creative X7) accept surround signal via optical in. We use these devices so we can put high end headphones to use in gaming applications for consoles rather than crap sound quality video game specific headsets.

Until they make these devices with HDMI in, optical is console gamers' only option to use virtualized surround sound with audiophile headphones.

ethomaz

Banned
Unless you have a soundbar or wireless surround headphones that have optical for their inputs.
I always have in my mind that old input/output tech needs to die and you needs for compatibly with some old equipment then you buy a cheaper adapter/conversor.

That is how I used my old VGA monitor for years in a PC with only HDMI output... $10 adapter.

Justinh

Yeah, I haven't been following this, but how have people gotten ahold of this?

I think the guess is that they were supposed to be announced "available now" at the upcoming event, but somehow got shipped a little early to retailers and some of them sold them.
CEX had like... 3 or something available at their website IIRC for a brief time.

_Spr_Drnk

Banned
Is no-one going to comment on the spacing of the front USB ports?

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugly. Like its gap toothed.

What is perhaps more interesting about the new controller model is that, when connected to a PS4 Slim or a regular model PS4, it transfers data entirely over wired connection rather than wireless.

Awesome news! Even if I keep my current PS4, I'll be getting a new controller for this reason.

That room is so messy.

No kidding. Pretty gross when people just leave trash on their floor.

Hate watching unboxing videos, every one I come across the person doing it is really rough on the hardware/accessories inside... Don't they care about looking after their purchases :(

Also review article mentions nothing is different in new slim apart from no optical, well we know it now supports 5Ghz WiFi, that has been some worthwhile change... That's a biggy.

longdi

Banned
4:29m, how do you live in such a dump?

AQfpV1X.jpg

All these, news unboxing and reviews all around.... has it been officially announced yet?

Sometimes I miss the days when a press conference means something and not (almost) everything have been leaked in advance.

If Microsoft managed to get 4K HDR from their Xbox One revision then I don't see how Sony couldn't have. It is a great selling point (4K HDR Bluray player for £300 that also plays video games) and something Sony has done in the past (PS2 - cheapest DVD player on market at the time) (PS3 - one of the first Bluray players) and something I can't understand except they are being tight.

It looks ok, but no optical output! I prefer it to HDMI, and another sign of trying to save a few pennies of the product.

Daffy Duck

Well if you live in the last century yes /jk

To be fair nobody with a good/mordem system will use Optical Port anymore because the High Quality / Uncompressed audio can't pass thought it.

So you need to go with HDMI in any case.

And what about those of us who use gaming headsets like Turtle BeachAstro A40's that use optical out for the audio source??

Coxy100

Banned
I'm betting on $249. If the One S can do $299 with a UHD drive, no reason this can't go for the jugular at $249

Sony would be on to a killer if they did this.

Yes people will still buy it if more expensive - and Sony don't need to do this - but if they did do this then there would be no stopping it!

If Microsoft managed to get 4K HDR from their Xbox One revision then I don't see how Sony couldn't have. It is a great selling point (4K HDR Bluray player for £300 that also plays video games) and something Sony has done in the past (PS2 - cheapest DVD player on market at the time) (PS3 - one of the first Bluray players) and something I can't understand except they are being tight.

You're comparing it to products that had those features from the beginning. The PS4 did not have UHD capabilities from the beginning. Plus, this is strictly a cost saving revision. It'll be super cheap, not meant for the 4K crowd. That's what Neo's for

And what about those of us who use gaming headsets like Turtle BeachAstro A40's that use optical out for the audio source??

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017B6WFP8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

People had to do the exact same thing when they wanted to hook up PS4s to sources that only had VGA or HDMI. As a format gets older and dropped, there will always be adapters to make it work.

JP

4:29m, how do you live in such a dump?

AQfpV1X.jpg
Hey, be fair!!!

When you spend all your time working on in-depth, accurate and really interesting reviews like that one you probably just don't get time for "being clean" and all that sort of unnecessary rubbish.

krang

Probably because they'd be stealing one of the more saleable bulletpoints of the Neo.

timlot

Banned
So over two months ago Microsoft announced the Xbox One S with a UHD Bluray drive with 4k streaming and HDR gaming and Sony just shoulder shrugged.

Looking forward to what they say about Neo. I get the feeling PS4's success has put Sony in a "maximizing profits" state of mind.

Top Bottom