• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Slim Review

Jotaka

4:29m, how do you live in such a dump?

AQfpV1X.jpg

Holy garbage

It's really confusing to me how people are comparing this to the Xbox One S. The S was a revision, yes, but with added features and not at a lower price.

This is strictly a cost saving console. It'll be cheaper than the S, you can bet your ass. Not to mention why would the put 4K in when that's going to be one of the main selling points of the Neo.

Getting the new controller but might stick with base model unless this is $250. Then I can just get a new Ps4 for $50 plus tax after the trade in.

Aces&Eights

OR get an HDMI audio extractor.

Optical is an old format. We've killed Component and composite, it's time to kill optical.

(embraces 7 year old Onkyo receiver) You've been so good to me, baby, but it's time we took a break from each other.

(looks at price of mid-range to hi-end HDMI receivers promptly applies for 2nd job)

Carn82

Also review article mentions nothing is different in new slim apart from no optical, well we know it now supports 5Ghz WiFi, that has been some worthwhile change... That's a biggy.

yeah, quite the oversight since OG PS4 is very lacking in that department.

Getting the new controller but might stick with base model unless this is $250. Then I can just get a new Ps4 for $50 plus tax after the trade in.

You can bet your ass it's gonna be $250 or less. They wouldn't make it the same price as the Xbox One S with a 4K player in it.

So over two months ago Microsoft announced the Xbox One S with a UHD Bluray drive with 4k streaming and HDR gaming and Sony just shoulder shrugged.

Looking forward to what they say about Neo. I get the feeling PS4's success has put Sony in a "maximizing profits" state of mind.

Xbox One S sucks as a 4K Blu-ray player. It doesn't even play all the discs right now (Universal discs won't play)

I would never trust MS with media playback let alone disc playback.....

ethomaz

Banned
And what about those of us who use gaming headsets like Turtle BeachAstro A40's that use optical out for the audio source??
Adapters exists for that.

I get what you trying to say but it is 2016 and there are way better options for audio to be supported.

Optical is legacy and for that there are audio extrator for compatibility.

It is like people hating they removed Floppy from PCs.

Jigolo

The wired controller feature isn't exclusive to the console right? I thought it was a 4.0 feature. I can't wait to use that

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017B6WFP8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Get one of those. It's a cheap solution that works extremely well

it is for me! no way im getting his version.

The wired controller feature isn't exclusive to the console right? I thought it was a 4.0 feature. I can't wait to use that

I think it's exclusive to the controller. The controller has to know to send to the PS4 wired. I could be wrong, though.

VinFTW

Adapters exists for that.

I get what you trying to say but it is 2016 and there are way better options for audio to be supported.

Optical is legacy and for that there are audio extrator for compatibility.

It is like people hating they removed Floppy from PCs.

what a shit response

What is perhaps more interesting about the new controller model is that, when connected to a PS4 Slim or a regular model PS4, it transfers data entirely over wired connection rather than wireless

YES FOR THE LOVE OF GOD FINALLY YES!
I've been waiting 1019 days for this...

So over two months ago Microsoft announced the Xbox One S with a UHD Bluray drive with 4k streaming and HDR gaming and Sony just shoulder shrugged.

Looking forward to what they say about Neo. I get the feeling PS4's success has put Sony in a "maximizing profits" state of mind.

A company should work to minimise its profits instead?

It's pretty clear that Neo will have 4K playback, so Sony's approach to Ultra HD is different to Microsoft's.

Sony's probably assuming that the people who care/want that kind of tech will be willing to pay for a "premium" device, thus it's opting to keep the Slim as low-cost as possible. I think it makes sense, but whether you agree or not, it's just a different approach.

Caayn

So no 4K support whatsoever? Not even for the UI?

Is it known if the Slim supports drives that are larger than 9.5mm in height?

JP

I can understand why some people will be annoyed due the exclusion of the TOSLINK port as a lot of home AV equipment still use the format but it is something that will be replaced at home with HDMI at some point over the next few years now that HDMI audio is so prevalent.

I wouldn't even be that surprised if it was out with the next generation of consoles.

I'm sure most of us have been in the same situation at some point with technology even if the lack of TOSLINK isn't an issue. I suppose the slight positive of this is that people are able to add TOSLINK to this revision if they really feel they need to that, it's certainly not ideal but it is at least an option for people.

Not really. People with older receivers can get bitstream DD and DTS by connecting the TV to the receiver (most HDTVs have optical out). If they don't, you can get an HDMI to optical audio extractor for cheap.

Optical is an aging format, it's time to let it go.
It's aging, sure, but it's not obsolete. Lots of devices are still made with optical outputs/inputs and I don't foresee that changing anytime soon. It's the same reason you still see composite cables on HDTVs, even though that technology is practically a dinosaur.

If you think Optical is an "older, dying" format currently then you're incredibly out of touch.

I think you're the one out of touch. Hell, most receivers these days only have one optical port, and that's for legacy devices. It is older and it is dying, as everything now puts audio through HDMI.

The only people who still use optical are people with older receivers/soundbars and people with high end headsets which just haven't built HDMI into them yet. And for people willing to spend money on those headsets, they can shell out another $30 for an audio extractor.

shanafan

If you think Optical is an "older, dying" format currently then you're incredibly out of touch.

I love optical. I have a 7 x 2 HDMI matrix, and that goes via a single HDMI cable to my TV. From my TV, I have an optical cable to my soundbar. So, just one audio input needed on my soundbar so I never need to change the input on it.

Go optical.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
the way she was turning and flipping that ps4 made me nervous. people like that wouldnt be allowed to touch my devices. by the looks of her place, she doesnt care much about herself either.

:x

MaDKaT

Wow, no optical port. Never really thought we were at a point to start phasing that out. Pretty surprising since it is still widely implemented. Most of my new'ish and new 2016 hardware still have it. Granted after I pared down much of my redundant hardware/devices everything is HDMI/ARC.

marrec

Banned
No optical port? WTF?

I honestly have no idea how I'd set up my system without one.

There's probably some wobbly box you can buy that'll magically do it for you.

On another note, :lol at Sony having a product not even officially announced but w/ unboxing videos.

J-Skee

I think you're the one out of touch. Hell, most receivers these days only have one optical port, and that's for legacy devices. It is older and it is dying, as everything now puts audio through HDMI.

The only people who still use optical are people with older receivers/soundbars and people with high end headsets which just haven't built HDMI into them yet. And for people willing to spend money on those headsets, they can shell out another $30 for an audio extractor.

Not that I'm disagreeing with you, but how do you feel about the rumored removal of the headphone jack in the new iPhone in favor of the Lightning port & wireless headphones?

Top Bottom