• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 + Star Wars Battlefront ad

You know...I was on the fence about this, but after playing splitscreen with the gf during the beta and this damn ad...I'm definitely picking it up. Star Wars hype is in full effect!

WarWolf

This is a perfect storm for the Battlefront game though. Hype for the new movie is going to be insane and people will want to absorb themselves in Star Wars any way possible. There hasn't been this much hype for the SW franchise since before Episode I.

I agree with this. It's going to get another huge surge in sales a month later when the movie releases.

I don't think there will be many people who have never picked up a game in their life buying it because it's Star Wars. But there is one hell of a large segment of casual gamers who are Star Wars fans and it's hitting it out the park being the most popular genre, FPS, along with essentially being characters in Star wars, fighting in places from Star Wars and piloting bloody vehicles from Star Wars too!!

I don't think there will be many people who have never picked up a game in their life buying it because it's Star Wars. But there is one hell of a large segment of casual gamers who are Star Wars fans and it's hitting it out the park being the most popular genre, FPS, along with essentially being characters in Star wars, fighting in places from Star Wars and piloting bloody vehicles from Star Wars too!!
There are still a lot of people who are waiting to upgrade to Gen 8 and what better reason than Star Wars?

Ambitious

I didn't like the gameplay at all when I tried the beta. Actually, after a few hours of playing, I cancelled my preorder. Really nice ad, but it doesn't change how I felt about the game.
However, after taking a quick glance at the release schedule for this year, there are no other upcoming games I'm interested in, so I might reconsider.

etta

my hard graphic balls

Cornbread78

I'm wondering if Halo might outsell BF3 on XB1. What do you think? You work in retail, right?

It's almost impossible to tell ahead of time without pre-order numbers. However, I could see BF3 over-taking Halo on XB1 based on Star Wars popularity and the huge marketing push that is going on towards kids this holiday season. Star Wars is considered a very "Safe" franchise and I could honestly see dads buying their sons BF3 for Xmas as a gift, but one they could play themselves as well, lol. There is a reason Wal-Mart is marketing the star wars toys so heavily this season and it will pay-off.

Totally off on a seperate note because I have been playin online this morning:
- BF1/2 and Kotor sold around 5.21 million combined on the OG XBox.
- Kotor is #8 overall for Xbox, BF #12 and BF2 #15
- BF 1/2 (only) sold around 6.5 on PS2 (KotoR Xbox exclusive)
Somebody that wants to put some crazy install base % charts together might get some better perspective. Looks like it did really well

Halo Lifetime sale per wiki:
Halo 3:14.5 million
Halo 4: 9.41 million (install base between 65-70 million)
Halo 5 ??? (install base around 15 million total?)

She means on X1 only

Oh gotcha, That will be tough match-up.. Fun to watch for sure. You could assume most people buy an XB1 to play games such as Halo. Does that still hold true in 2015?

BokehKing

Banned
Why did you make the comparison of one platform versus five? How much did GTA V do on X360? BO2? Did they do significantly more than Halo 4?

What Travis said, I meant.
More than likely yes they outsold halo on 360
360 was the system to have last ten, especially for those titles

BokehKing

Banned
Why did you make the comparison of one platform versus five? How much did GTA V do on X360? BO2? Did they do significantly more than Halo 4?

According to this, on 360 alone

http://www.product-reviews.net/2012/11/23/black-ops-2-vs-halo-4-sales-first-week-on-360/

Black Ops 2 moved 11m units on all platforms, 6.21m on just the Xbox 360, which is 2 million less than the 13.36m Modern Warfare

If we compare this to the Halo 4 sales for Xbox 360, they’re widely reported to be 3.8m for the first week, which is a considerable amount less than Black Ops 2 on the Xbox 360. Both of these first week figures are impressive by any means, but did you expect the Black Ops 2 vs. Halo 4 sales to turn out this way when looking at just the Xbox 360?

Ricky_R

GTAV was at ~45 millions by December, 2014, no? The current gen release was on November, right? Let's be generous and say that the re-release sold 5 mill that first month. That leaves us with 40 mill. Now, let's be generous again and split that amount in half... You get 20 mill for the 360 version.

That's still ~10 million more than Halo 4. Not sure they really compare.

Can a sales freak confirm if my info is accurate? ;)

Cornbread78

As far as biggest franchises, we are talking COD/Mario/Pokemon/mario kart/need 4 speed/sonic/GTA/the sims/final fantasy

Halo is still Assasins Creed level

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_game_franchises

Not sure on how accurate these numbers are in Wiki since I already saw 1 inconsistantcy in the Kotor number, but:

#1: Mario 509.5 million
(Super Mario series: 297.88 million
Mario Kart series: 105.32 million
Mario Party series: 39.6 million
Mario Sports series: 35.498 million
Mario RPG series: 16.49 million
Other Mario games: 14.7042 million)
#2: Pokemon: 270.8 million
#3: Grand Theft Auto: 220 million
#4: Call of Duty: 175 million
#5: Need for Speed: 150 million

Other notables:
- Sonic: 150 million
- Final Fantasy: 110 million
- Fifa: 100 million
- LEGO: 100 million
- Ass Cred: 87 million
- Gran Turismo: 73 million
- Minecraft: 70 million
- Halo: 65 million
- Battlefield 60 million
-Star Wars franchise - 39 million
Lego Star Wars series - 20 million
Star Wars: Battlefront series - 10 million
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed - 7 million
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic - 2 million

etta

my hard graphic balls
So the franchise popularity rankings on Xbox would be like:
1. GTA
2. COD
3. Halo

?
Anything else that sold more than Halo but less than the others? Doesn't that translate to "Halo franchise is comparable to GTA, COD"? Had Halo been a multiplatform from the beginning, would it not be safe to say it could pull those numbers?

Halo might be comparable to COD if you single out the Xbox, but it's nowhere near GTA and Mario which were the only ones you mentioned in your original comment. Read my comment above so you can compare.
Isn't that how rankings work?
GTA is trailing Mario by 280 million, but it's still "up there" in the top. The fact that GTA is at 220 across 7-8 platforms (do iOS versions even count?) and Halo is at 65 across 3 (4-5 if you count PC and Spartan games), is telling.

Ricky_R

1. GTA
2. COD
3. Halo

?
Anything else that sold more than Halo but less than the others? Doesn't that translate to "Halo franchise is comparable to GTA, COD"? Had Halo been a multiplatform from the beginning, would it not be safe to say it could pull those numbers?

Halo might be comparable to COD if you single out the Xbox, but it's nowhere near GTA and Mario which were the only ones you mentioned in your original comment. Read my comment above so you can compare.

It's an okay ad. Didn't inspire me to buy it... I don't really even know what the game IS, if I'm only going off of that commercial. Not knowing what the product being advertised is... eh...

That being said, it's Star Wars and the thirst is real for anything Star Wars at this point. The tension just keeps growing every passing week.

This is money in the bank.

Troy

Banned
It's an okay ad. Didn't inspire me to buy it... I don't really even know what the game IS, if I'm only going off of that commercial. Not knowing what the product being advertised is... eh...

That being said, it's Star Wars and the thirst is real for anything Star Wars at this point. The tension just keeps growing every passing week.

This is money in the bank.

My thirst is for new Star Wars, not old Star Wars. I was hoping we'd get a new Lego SW based on the new movie, but instead we get this game with no single player. No single player in a SW game. Blech. BLOP3 will get my money instead, which is also beneficial to Sony since they've got that locked down this year too.

It's an okay Star Wars ad, but not a good Star Wars battlefront the video game ad. It makes me think of Star Wars and the movies, but not really think about the video game
Precisely. IF anything, this makes me more excited for the movie than anything else.

My thirst is for new Star Wars, not old Star Wars. I was hoping we'd get a new Lego SW based on the new movie, but instead we get this game with no single player. No single player in a SW game. Blech. BLOP3 will get my money instead, which is also beneficial to Sony since they've got that locked down this year too.
You and I both, man. That beta did nothing for me and a lack of campaign to play just solidifies it. BLOPS3 played really well, and has a campaign, AND full co-op on that campaign + zombies. The value proposition is just immense... and the hit detection isn't crap.

BokehKing

Banned
1. GTA
2. COD
3. Halo

?
Idk, if Microsoft allowed it on PC you could probably then make the claims you made

But this is conversation (which is way off topic and we should probably stop discussing it) is about battlefront vs halo on X1 this holiday season

etta

my hard graphic balls
Idk, if Microsoft allowed it on PC you could probably then make the claims you made

But this is conversation (which is way off topic and we should probably stop discussing it) is about battlefront vs halo on X1 this holiday season
Yes, I propose we do that.

As I said on page 2, I really enjoyed the ad, it was well done.

Ricky_R

Isn't that how rankings work?
GTA is trailing Mario by 280 million, but it's still "up there" in the top. The fact that GTA is at 220 across 7-8 platforms (do iOS versions even count?) and Halo is at 65 across 3 (4-5 if you count PC and Spartan games), is telling.

By what measure are you basing it then? You said:

Halo is one of the biggest gaming franchises ever. It's up there with Mario and Grand Theft Auto.

And it really isn't (being up there I mean)... GTA isn't really comparable to Mario either. If there's a franchise that Halo is really comparable to is Gran Turismo. Both are from a single platform and have released almost the same amount of games, and GT has sold better so far.

I wouldn't compare GT to GTA or Mario either.

KoopaTheCasual

1. GTA
2. COD
3. Halo

?
No.

Just being on more systems doesn't equate to similar spread of sales. That's like assuming GTA on the Wii U would also pull 10s of millions of units, simply because it did on the PS3/360. We have seen that the market on different platforms have very different buying habits.

Halo made the Xbox viable and further pushed the "shooter" crowd to the ecosystem. It wasn't limited by being single platform, because the brand was strong enough to pull most people who were interested into the Xbox ecosystem.

Edit: Sorry for getting off topic.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Precisely. IF anything, this makes me more excited for the movie than anything else.

You and I both, man. That beta did nothing for me and a lack of campaign to play just solidifies it. BLOPS3 played really well, and has a campaign, AND full co-op on that campaign + zombies. The value proposition is just immense... and the hit detection isn't crap.
Hit detection was very good for Star Wars, I think the projectile travel time threw you off. I dislike it too, felt it was too high, had to compensate too much for it.

alterno69

Banned
Halo on par with GTA and Mario? I've seen it all 😳

As much as i like Halo, it is not on the same league as Old Mario and current GTA, not even close.

The PlayStation twitter account just tweeted the 30 second version.
I imagine this is the one they will show on tv.

https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/656124226202546176/pu/vid/1280x720/Sj6Uuk5dBChUGb1V.mp4

Good 30s edit of a great 60s ad. Can't remember the last time I thought that about a video game commercial.

To me, this is the perfect ad not because it shows you what the game is like (it doesn't), but because it will make casual gamers or non-gamers think, "wow...what IS that?

A few of my cousins are in their late 30s and have kids that are getting to the age (5-7) where they may want to have video games in the house again...and I could totally see this pulling at their heart strings in a way that would get them to buy a PS4 for their families this Christmas with Battlefront and Disney Infinity 3.0.

Hit detection was very good for Star Wars, I think the projectile travel time threw you off. I dislike it too, felt it was too high, had to compensate too much for it.
Yeah, maybe that was it. I don't know. It doesn't feel "right," for lack of a better word. I really wanted to like that beta too. It was a very sad few days for me.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Halo is one of the biggest gaming franchises ever. It's up there with Mario and Grand Theft Auto.
You think everyone who loves Star Wars movies will rush out to buy the game? My friend who is a huge Star Wars fan, read every comic, every thing Star Wars out there, played the beta and will hold off on buying it day one because the lack of content doesn't justify full price.
You guys are overestimating how many fans of Star Wars will rush out to buy this game.

I think you're underestimating a Star Wars made by Dice, riding a huge wave of marketing with a new movie releasing a month later.

Meanwhile Halo WAS a huge franchise, that while still big, has diminished quite a bit in a post Bungie world. Even seeing the rankings of what people were playing on Live it took a nosedive. Then there's the MCC clusterfuck, that turned off a lot of old fans.

Edit: and how is "your friend" judging a lack of content on a beta where most everything was locked up? Does your friend really think the game only has four weapons?

Kolgar

Don't like the ad.

I'm even OK with the desk dude daydreaming about Star Wars, though the live-action, non-game stuff takes up too much time.

What really got me was the disclaimer about it not being actual game footage. WTF? The game looks incredible. Put up realtime footage and scream, "Actual gameplay graphics!"

Videogame commericals without actual videogame footage don't do any more than build awareness. How about trying to sell some games and consoles?

Jotaka

laugh-michael-scott.gif

El-Suave

While everybody is praising Sony for this excellent ad - isn't this EA produced with a Sony branding at the end? That's how these things work I would think. No publisher would let another party write their ads for them and you see clear patterns to Fifa or Assassin's Creed ads while they're changing co-marketing partners over the years.

Top Bottom