• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 + Star Wars Battlefront ad

Wagram

Halo is one of the biggest gaming franchises ever. It's up there with Mario and Grand Theft Auto.

Halo while big, is nowhere near the same level as GTA or Mario. I will be shocked if Halo 5 sells as much as 4.

How about trying to sell some games and consoles?

You must not understand marketing then. Cashing in on nostalgia is marketing 101 to sell a product.

gtj1092

Don't like the ad.

I'm even OK with the desk dude daydreaming about Star Wars, though the live-action, non-game stuff takes up too much time.

What really got me was the disclaimer about it not being actual game footage. WTF? The game looks incredible. Put up realtime footage and scream, "Actual gameplay graphics!"

Videogame commericals without actual videogame footage don't do any more than build awareness. How about trying to sell some games and consoles?

Ps4 is must of had a horrible launch then. Oh wait it was the biggest launch ever. Do you not remember the launch commercials? No gameplay at all and terrible singing. This commercial is going to sell millions of ps4s. Maybe you're just out of touch?

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
While everybody is praising Sony for this excellent ad - isn't this EA produced with a Sony branding at the end? That's how these things work I would think. No publisher would let another party write their ads for them and you see clear patterns to Fifa or Assassin's Creed ads while they're changing co-marketing partners over the years.

I don't think a publisher would spend the money to advertise their product exclusively for one platform.

All of those ads for multiplatform games that exclusively target one platform, are paid for by the hardware company.

Ricky_R

Caught a blooper there :D

When the dude jumps to the X-wing, his friends's cockpit was closed and it was supposed to be opened. Then the camera cuts to the friend and the cockpit is open again.

;)

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Some of the Star Wars commercials have been fairly good at getting you in the 'feels' mood. It's pretty effective.

Target

Walmart

Can't beat nostalgia in marketing.

6a00d8341c2df453ef017615b9d0f0970c-500wi

Target ad works because it's actual footage, the Walmart ad..not so much, it's kind of cringe inducing :lol

5taquitos

While everybody is praising Sony for this excellent ad - isn't this EA produced with a Sony branding at the end? That's how these things work I would think. No publisher would let another party write their ads for them and you see clear patterns to Fifa or Assassin's Creed ads while they're changing co-marketing partners over the years.

The "Greatness Awaits" shot at the end makes me think this is Sony-produced.

Caught a blooper there :D

When the dude jumps to the X-wing, his friends's cockpit was closed and it was supposed to be opened. Then the camera cuts to the friend and the cockpit is open again.

;)

Nope, the friend's cockpit is always closed, that's a jump cut of the office worker suited up and closing the cockpit before taking off.

Ricky_R

The "Greatness Awaits" shot at the end makes me think this is Sony-produced.

Nope, the friend's cockpit is always closed, that's a jump cut of the office worker suited up and closing the cockpit before taking off.

I stand corrected. Thanks for showing me the force.

Cornbread78

If we want split hairs, neither one of them created this, a Marketing company did, lol. They both just approved it, lol.

AdanVC

Just saw this for the first time a few minutes ago on twitter... That gave me the chills! One of the best ads in gaming i've ever seen in years tbh.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
This got me to cave and pre-order the Limited Edition Battlefront PS4 (not like I did not want it already, but the commercial just gave me the feels).

I now need to sell my launch unit which is mint, quiet as a mouse still, and has P.T. on it.

The bundle is the 3001 (newest revision) PS4 I assume?

labaronx

Ive seen 4 non gaming star wars fans post amazon purchase screenshots of limited edition ps4. ....

Definitely having an impact

Given some of the reaction here I thought it would be better than that, still cool though, it's star wars and the beta was awesome. I'm in.

Leyasu

Banned
Given some of the reaction here I thought it would be better than that, still cool though, it's star wars and the beta was awesome. I'm in.

Totally.... Except for the beta which I thought was ok at best.

I was expecting an ad that was out of this world. I grew up with star wars (episodes 4,5 and 6 were released when I was young) , but that ad did nothing for me

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I thought it was hella fun. The ships turn on a dime, the lasers have splash damage and you're not constantly being missile locked like BF3/4. Pretty easy to feel like an ace pilot.

I think a lot of people didn't figure out that the left stick controlled speed, the right was control, and the directional pads are dodge maneuvers.

Or they used a mouse which was straight up horrible to fly with.

IMO Mouse worked fine IF you had the sensitivity set high enough. The problem was air vehicles and ground vehicles shared the same "vehicle" sensitivity. So with high sensitivity set for air vehicles, it meant ground vehicles (and especially turrets) were nearly impossible to control. I really hope they break those out into 2 different settings, like they've been in every Battlefield game. I'd hate to have to rely on my mouse's DPI switch, as I like to rebind those buttons for more useful functions.

Top Bottom