• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 System Software Update 4.50 Features Detailed

mf.luder

Cool. Look forward to the better notifications and quick menu. I haven't run into storage issues yet but the external is nice!

Given that the internal drive still ultimately connects via USB, does it mean there'll be little to no speed difference between using an external vs internal?

TLZ

Banned
That Sasuke codename is legit.

External HDD support along with Pro framerate boost mode is Sony going full on Susanoo.

On Demand

Banned
Nobody cares that notifications are now put into one list? Having separate tabs for everything is more organized. Can't believe they got rid of that entire section.

And good job removing the incon names from the quick menu.

Every single update with Sony. Can't do shit properly.

XanaviF30

Man, a support for an external hard drive, up to 8GB too, finally. I can now install all of my physical games without worry.

bombshell

How much heat does a spinning HDD produce? Can running a game from an external potentially make my sometimes jet sounding regular PS4 run cooler?

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
3D Blu Rays in PSVR and not supporting SBS 3D in the Media Player for PSVR will be some total shittery if thats how it rolls out.

Izuna

Banned
Anyone have any idea how I can write partitions on a single 4TB drive and get it to work in both systems via a USB hub?

dealer-

Good stuff. I installed a 2TB on the Pro and it's getting the random beeps so I think I'll just put the 1TB it came with back in and use the 2TB as an external.

YESS!!! They took the SEXY new Xbox pop up interface and actually used it in PS4's

No more ugly overlay text, and I can just look at small icons across a slim spine. Now, if they can let us customize the colours to match our PS4 themes, that'd be great.

That + wallpapers = perfect.

I hope you can also make the wallpaper two-fold, so it transitions when you push up.

And hopefully we can eventually see gifs become wallpaper, and make the rows smaller to look more like PS3's.

People in the beta, please complain about the notifications. This is a huge step back IMO. All they have to do is just add an ALL tab and make it the default. The notifications is going to be filled with installs, updates, cloud saves and stuff in an unorganized mess. And no, the ability to turn it off certain ones is not a solution because I sometimes check certain ones (like if a cloud save failed or such).

I hope they revert this change.

Jmille99

Custom wallpapers based on screenshots only? No option to upload my own pictures?

It may be a workaround you dont want to deal with, but I downloaded their message app and attached pictures. Sent from an alt account to my main account so I could pull it up on the system without using the browser.

Still need to screenshot the attached picture though. Would have been nice for a way to just download it.

Which do you think is more reliable? A external hard drive with a dedicated power supply or one that does not need a dedicated power supply? Most of the desktop external hard drives have power supplies and the portables ones do not. I am not sure which one to buy.

DavidDesu

Hey guys.. is this HDD suitable then? Doesn't need a power supply runs directly off the USB.. this work with stuff like the Xbox One for game storage?

Looking forward to a nice storage boost and getting an external HDD that I need for other uses at the same time. Woo. Great update. And 3D PSVR support is the icing on the cake I admit I've barely touched my headset recently but this changed that immediately.

Nobody cares that notifications are now put into one list? Having separate tabs for everything is more organized. Can't believe they got rid of that entire section.

And good job removing the incon names from the quick menu.

Every single update with Sony. Can't do shit properly.

Removing icon names was needed. Why do you need giant text when the icons are clear and obvious?

This saves a ton of room and makes the whole thing look sleek.

The notifications are a bummer. I dont want to scroll through a bunch of stuff. They could have cleaned that up much better.

On Demand

Banned
People in the beta, please complain about the notifications. This is a huge step back IMO. All they have to do is just add an ALL tab and make it the default. The notifications is going to be filled with installs, updates, cloud saves and stuff in an unorganized mess. And no, the ability to turn it off certain ones is not a solution because I sometimes check certain ones (like if a cloud save failed or such).

Exactly!

Yes, please. Give us the option to revert to the old one.

On Demand

Banned
Removing icon names was needed. Why do you need giant text when the icons are clear and obvious?

This saves a ton of room and makes the whole thing look sleek.

The notifications are a bummer. I dont want to scroll through a bunch of stuff. They could have cleaned that up much better.

Looking at the new quick menu, i already forgot what some incons are for. lol.

:/

There's was nothing wrong with have each listed. They could of made it smaller or something.

Unknown?

Do all external hdds of 5TB or more require a power adapter? Or are there ones that simply plug in and go? Will it combine that size with the HDD space on your internal?

I hope you can change the settings to make quick menu one tap to bring up the menu as opposed to holding it down.

I think they did a really great job with the menu. I love hitting share and then pressing square to upload a video, as opposed to the old way that took me out of the game and took forever.

One thing they need to be able to do is allow us to message in quick menu. Can you message in quick menu?

Features I still want:

-PSN name change
-Friend folders
-Icon customization (resizing)
-Multiple copies of games into multiple folders

arhra

External HDD support is great to see.

Custom wallpapers is almost great, they just need to get rid of that dumb screenshot-only limitation (since it isn't actually a limitation given that you can screenshot the browser, it just adds some extra hoops to jump through).

With the notification changes, are they going to be changing how download management works? Having to sift through a bunch of other bullshit to find my downloads sounds seriously annoying.

Quick Menu improvements seem nice, having those huge labels always visible seemed unnecessary. Seeing the convergent evolution of the PS4 Quick Menu and the XB1 Guide is interesting, and hopefully it continues, as they both have a few things I'd like to see on the other. Hopefully the Quick Menu picks up the clock that the Guide just got in the latest insider preview, along with access to the Trophy list for the current game.

Anyone have any idea how I can write partitions on a single 4TB drive and get it to work in both systems via a USB hub?

Pretty sure that won't be possible - the Xbox takes over the entire drive, without regard to any pre-existing partitioning, and I'd bet the PS4 will be the same.

anddo0

External HDD support is wonderful news. I have a 1TB sitting around. So, no need to upgrade from the stock Pro hdd.. Speeds haven't been an issue.

Xion86

Some pretty great news for PlayStation!! Brilliant update which was well needed. People can stop bitching about it now.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
External HDD Support
Upto 8tb

Custom Wallpapers

tumblr_njzax6s9jZ1rm9u2oo1_500.gif

But i see no "make video codecs less shit" update? Maybe in 5.0....

Top Bottom