• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Tops January 2017 US Sales

AudioEppa

Congrats to my favorite console maker. Here's to 2017 being another blessed year for the PlayStation brand.

So I don't shake my head so hard my neck snaps. I'm just going to believe that quote from Microsoft isn't real... Goddamn 😑

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
People making fun of MS should remember Andrew House's actual salt level from Pro's mixed reception, when MS put out that XB1 S ad advertising the console throwing not so subtle shade and in an interview he got super mad, very comical

Anyway, congratulations Playstation.

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
Interesting so that means 1 game in the Top 5 wasn't on the platform at all.

What exclusive game could have charted Top 5?

Maybe Minecraft?

I think they are talking about individual SKU's, not games fully exclusive.

viHuGi

Banned
Not even close.
PS2-SLIM-2.jpg

GOAT

Maybe Minecraft?

I think they are talking about SKU's, not games fully exclusive.

It's Pokemon. They aren't talking about SKU's that why they mention specifically 4 of the top 5 games were available on Playstation.

I just brain farted and totally blanked on Pokemon. Of course that's still in the Top 5

allan-bh

How is it possible this many (and more) people think Microsoft actually mentioned the PS4 in their PR?

That's just...whoa.

They indirectly mentioned PS4 and Wii U what is absolutely normal. I don't understand why people is making fun of this.

I mean, what's the problem in highlight that your system is the only one up YoY?

January was supposed to be the 'true test' for Xbox One according to many here. I also thought if Xbox One had won this NPD, it would prove that last years momentum that the console was building was a trend rather than a flash in the pan bought on by the Xbox One S console.

Now I honestly think ps4 is going to be ahead every month until Microsoft releases Scorpio. Even then Scorpio will only take 1 or 2 months during the holiday season and business will resume as usual after that.

They indirectly mentioned PS4 and Wii U what is absolutely normal. I don't understand why people is making fun of this.

I mean, what's the problem in highlight that your system is the only one up YoY?

Because when you still lost it looks salty and insecure. Hey I still lost, but by less this time! The constant need for comparison just shows how badly they hate being behind. So much for just worrying about their own brand. That was a load of bullshit.

RexNovis

Banned
Saying your HW sales are up YoY is both normal and useful information to disclose. Not everything needs to be "console wars" ppl. Calm down.

joecanada

It's funny because it comes with no numbers. So you sold one more this year ? 100 ? 3% ? 20? Without this it's useless

Saying your HW sales are up YoY is both normal and useful information to disclose. Not everything needs to be "console wars" ppl. Calm down.

I'm calm. Disclosing your results is normal, but discussing your competition is not. There is no way you can spin that as not being a competitive jab so don't even try. Look inside yourself. You will see it's true!

The trend is your friend. Xbox has too many problems to expect revolutionary growth, but doing better than last year is nothing to be ashamed about.

So, PS4 sales are worse than January 2016?

Yes they've been down YoY every month for the past 8 months.

PS4 is still selling well but the hardware is slowing in the US. Sony needs to do something to reinvigorate the market a bit. Probably part of the reason you are seeing the $249.99 promotion

Salty? Maybe for fanboys.

This is business, each company will spin the data in their favour, what Microsoft has for working this month is the YoY growth.

Eh maybe so, but when they have pretty much used the same spin for the last 3 or 4 months it gets stale. The fact they won't disclose any actual sales figures is also annoying. This vague talk and tip toeing around the hard numbers(as in total hardware sold worldwide) for the last 2 years or so just make their PR look like joke.

Gaenor

Banned
Because when you still lost it looks salty and insecure. Hey I still lost, but by less this time! The constant need for comparison just shows how badly they hate being behind. So much for just worrying about their own brand. That was a load of bullshit.

I simply view this as a positive information they want to tell, despite being behind in the month. Of course they aren't happy to be behind, but they could still be "happy" to be the only brand with a YoY growth. That's just informative.

I honestly think people just see what they want to see.

Elios83

Seems like a repeat of the December situation but with much lower overall volumes of course.
It's also worth noting that in January Xbox One had official promotions at 279$ covering two weeks of the month while PS4 was back to 299$.
Sony seems to have February on lock as well with their promotions to 249$ showing that they are ready to cut the price of the Slim sooner rather than later in the US if necessary to keep momentum and meet their targets.
They should increase the production of the Pro though and fix the demand/supply issues that this console is having worldwide, with boost mode announced in firmware 4.5 and Horizon coming soon they could see a lot of extra Pro sales.

Fat4all

Banned
February will likely be another PS4 lead month.

The PS4 Slim Uncharted has been $270 at Walmart the past week or so, and starting next week the Slim bundles (Uncharted/CoD) will be $250 pretty much everywhere. They have also been pushing Horizon heavily. I wonder if they will allow early reviews to try and steal some of Halo Wars 2's thunder (as it launches just before Horizon).

Has there been any notable XBO Slim deals this month so far? I just checked Best Buy and they are normal price at the mo'.

EDIT: Looks like Walmart has the Battlefield 1 XBOS Bundle at $270 as well.

I'm calm. Disclosing your results is normal, but discussing your competition is not. There is no way you can spin that as not being a competitive jab so don't even try. Look inside yourself. You will see it's true!
I like my PR hot and spicy and MS delivers. It's part or the folklore and shouldn't be taken too seriously as long as they are not lying. And they aren't.
They aren't even spinning this time. So what.

Curufinwe

People making fun of MS should remember Andrew House's actual salt level from Pro's mixed reception, when MS put out that XB1 S ad advertising the console throwing not so subtle shade and in an interview he got super mad, very comical

Anyway, congratulations Playstation.

The projection levels are off the charts here.

Toni

A win for PS4 eventhough its down in numbers compared to 2016.

February is going to be a homerun for Sony with Nioh, Nier & Horizon.

Plua they got MLB 2017 for March too.

PS4 on Boost Mode fam.

I like my PR hot and spicy and MS delivers. It's part or the folklore and shouldn't be taken too seriously as long as they are not lying. And they aren't.

True. I think I'm more annoyed by the fact that they won't divulge any hard numbers more than anything. If you are up let's see the numbers, but we know that will never happen. Of course they are going paint their business in the best light possible so whatever.

HeeHo

Haha, well, MS themselves decided that Sony "cannot say that for themselves" lol. I think it is console wars for them.

blakep267

Numbers for new page.

Sizable win for PS4 eventhough its down in numbers compared to 2016.

February is going to be a homerun for Sony with Nioh, Nier & Horizon.

Plua they got MLB 2017 for March too.

PS4 on Boost Mode fam.
Those aren't actual numbers. He was saying those are the min and max for each console. The Min was 150k for Xbox and the max for PS4 was 230k. We don't have numbers yet

Numbers for new page.

Sizable win for PS4 eventhough its down in numbers compared to 2016.

?

There's no guarantee this is a sizable win. We don't have any idea how close they are other than there is less than a 80k unit difference. But there is no range on how close that gap is

Elandyll

Banned
No spinning, just shade :)

February promises to be Interesting (tm) though...

Off to a good start and this year is packed for PS4. If Horizon rates well and gets good marketing and bundles behind it, it will do very well. It will be a great year I hope.

Top Bottom