• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Tops January 2017 US Sales

It wasn't looking very likely that the XB1S did enough to the momentum of the console to be able to outdo PS4 even in these slower months (and even though PS4 has been down most months YoY). The gap is probably close I'd wager but I'm fully expecting the XB1 baseline to drop a bit more as we get further into the year.

Any way I'm most interested to see how RE7 did, but we will probably have to wait a week for that.

It'll be heavily down from RE6 but keep in mind 1 week worth of tracking for 7 compared to 4 for RE6.

We won't have a very fair comparison between the two until February NPD results

I'm leaning around 350k - 400k for now

So should Microsoft not mention they are the only console that increased year over year?

Because Sony fans get offended?

Really?

Lets not over reach it, last January Xbox one sales practically stoped due to end of the firesale of Holiday 2015 so it will be difficult to sell less consoles

'practically stopped' is a big exaggeration. However, I agree with the gist of your comment. It would indeed be difficult to not sell more than last year's January.
Sony on the other hand, was doing good early 2016 and will find it harder to do better the same period this year. I do expect them to sell a boatload of consoles this month though.

dabig2

Good for MS. January last year was utterly abysmal so I'd be surprised if they weren't up YoY.

PS4 chugging along. Consoles tend to peak in their 3rd years, so not too surprised to see it down (or flat) YoY. I hope GR2 fared better than it did in the UK.

Kayant

Xbox One had its best January to date and was the only eighth generation console that saw growth in January compared to the prior year according to NPD Group. Team Xbox is committed to delivering the best gaming experiences for our fans.”
Mild salt aside it's a great stat to be proud of as it shows their new SKU contining to do it's job and rejuvenating the Xbox brand especially when it has been the case for most or all? it's months since it's launch.

Mild salt aside it's a great stat to be proud of as it shows their new SKU contining to do it's job and rejuvenating the Xbox brand especially when it has been the case for most or all? it's months since it's launch.

I mean its an honestly important thing to note that PS4 is down YoY for quite a while now and Xbox One has been consistently up YoY since the Slim launch. That's not a small thing and I don't get where all the "Salt" and "Spin" comments are coming from.

Yes the PS4 is still selling well. Yes MS is never going to "close the gap". The thing is though the brand is seeing growth from its previous position and PS4 is somewhat stagnating (this is all US market of course not global)

MS has done a pretty damn great job of turning the brand around, and its worth taking note on.

zewone

Good for MS. January last year was utterly abysmal so I'd be surprised if they weren't up YoY.

PS4 chugging along. Consoles tend to peak in their 3rd years, so not too surprised to see it down (or flat) YoY. I hope GR2 fared better than it did in the UK.

PS4 is up YOY worldwide.

I mean its an honestly important thing to note that PS4 is down YoY for quite a while now and Xbox One has been consistently up YoY since the Slim launch. That's not a small thing and I don't get where all the "Salt" and "Spin" comments are coming from.

Yes the PS4 is still selling well. Yes MS is never going to "close the gap". The thing is though the brand is seeing growth from its previous position and PS4 is somewhat stagnating (this is all US market of course not global)

MS has done a pretty damn great job of turning the brand around, and its worth taking note on.
Xbox is down YOY worldwide.

They are beyond terrible across the world.

Scorpio, which is goona flop from what I've seen, can't come soon enough.

It will make a decent splash in NA but crater the ROTW before tailing off in NA too. By that point (2018) the next gen hype will be starting.

In its own statement, Microsoft said 2017 is off to a "strong start" for the Xbox One as the number of hours players spent playing games on the console grew 21 percent year-over-year. Additionally, Xbox One sales grew year-over-year in January, something that cannot be said for the PS4, according to Microsoft.
xVQ2SS.gif

Let's pat them on the back then.

I already have shit tons of times in Sony related threads.

This is about January NPD. I'm talking about January NPD results

Edit - Also where in the world are you getting Xbox One being down YoY since Slim launch worldwide? There is no evidence of that as far as I'm aware. Its entirely possible but we haven't gotten updated numbers in a long time in terms of yearly global sales. We know revenue is down due to price cut, and units have been down from the 360 being discontinued but in terms of Xbone unit sales YoY for Slim vs Original Xbone I don't believe we have those units to make a comparison.

February will likely be another PS4 lead month.

The PS4 Slim Uncharted has been $270 at Walmart the past week or so, and starting next week the Slim bundles (Uncharted/CoD) will be $250 pretty much everywhere. They have also been pushing Horizon heavily. I wonder if they will allow early reviews to try and steal some of Halo Wars 2's thunder (as it launches just before Horizon).

Has there been any notable XBO Slim deals this month so far? I just checked Best Buy and they are normal price at the mo'.

EDIT: Looks like Walmart has the Battlefield 1 XBOS Bundle at $270 as well.
Review copies for Horizon went out this week. So, we should get pretty early reviews. I don't think it is necessary to counter HW2 though.

blakep267

Edit - Also where in the world are you getting Xbox One being down YoY since Slim launch worldwide? There is no evidence of that as far as I'm aware. Its entirely possible but we haven't gotten updated numbers in a long time in terms of yearly global sales. We know revenue is down due to price cut, and units have been down from the 360 being discontinued but in terms of Xbone unit sales YoY for Slim vs Original Xbone I don't believe we have those units to make a comparison.
Don't waste your breath dude. It seems that only the predictions thread is safe from nonsense

Don't waste your breath dude. It seems that only the predictions thread is safe from nonsense

I'm just not sure where their guarantee that Xbone is down YoY globally since the slim launch is from. We know that shipments for this past quarter were a bit lower YoY but it was also the 1st Quarter without the 360 as well as those are shipments and not sell through. We really have no idea on a global scale if sell through to customers on Xbox One is up or down since the Slims launch.

Some of you guys need to stop with the 'salt' posts.
That quote from Gamespot is not what MS said. They did not directly name Sony in their statement and bragging about being up yoy is perfectly normal.
The fact they were still behind ps4 must be disappointing to them though. That disappointment will continue for the rest of the year as I expect with ps4 slim price reduction, PS4 pro ironing out supplying issues and greater volume of exclusives and bigger third party marketing deals, all will ensure growth for Sony's console this year in the U.S.

HardRojo

I'm eager to see January's, February's and March's top 10 games chart. I want to see Nioh, RE7, NieR and Yakuza all make it.

watdaeff4

pretty much this.

That said, I would hope that XB was up YoY for the next 6 months because Jan - June 2016 was pretty bad for XB sales.

I think console warriors on both sides need to take into account that the PR statement wasn't made for them, but for the investors. It's showing growth from last year which is what they (the investors) want to see.

zewone

I'm just not sure where their guarantee that Xbone is down YoY globally since the slim launch is from. We know that shipments for this past quarter were a bit lower YoY but it was also the 1st Quarter without the 360 as well as those are shipments and not sell through. We really have no idea on a global scale if sell through to customers on Xbox One is up or down since the Slims launch.

I don't recall where I first got the information, but a quick Google search gave me this:

https://www.vg247.com/2017/01/27/xb...-live-hit-a-new-record-and-softwares-booming/

Xbox One sales over the quarter ending December 31, 2016 were lower than the same period in 2015, according to Microsoft’s latest financials.

The company notes a “decline in volume of consoles sold” despite the introduction of the Xbox One S and some key discounts over the holiday quarter. Combined with “lower prices of consoles sold”, Microsoft saw a 22% year-on-year decrease in console hardware revenue.

StoopKid

February will likely be another PS4 lead month.

The PS4 Slim Uncharted has been $270 at Walmart the past week or so, and starting next week the Slim bundles (Uncharted/CoD) will be $250 pretty much everywhere. They have also been pushing Horizon heavily. I wonder if they will allow early reviews to try and steal some of Halo Wars 2's thunder (as it launches just before Horizon).

Has there been any notable XBO Slim deals this month so far? I just checked Best Buy and they are normal price at the mo'.

EDIT: Looks like Walmart has the Battlefield 1 XBOS Bundle at $270 as well.

Wow I had no idea halo wars was coming this early.

Seems like no hype at all for it.

I don't recall where I first got the information, but a quick Google search gave me this:

https://www.vg247.com/2017/01/27/xb...-live-hit-a-new-record-and-softwares-booming/

Keep in mind this was the first quarter that didn't include 360 shipments, which while certainly not large are a factor. Also a big reason for that decrease in revenue is going to be the price drop. Also that shipments aren't always the full story. For example there are 3 million PS4's in the channel right now, which is an unusually high amount.

We literally have no idea what sell through to consumers is on Xbox One in terms of YoY growth or decline since the Slim, other than the US. It could be up, it could be down, we don't really know. The one thing we do accurately know, is the PS4 is trending down in the US market while the Xbox One is trending up, which is what my comment was about.

LadyRiven

I just bought my PS4 on black friday. I actually bought my PS3 for The Last Guardian, and when it got bumped to PS4 I was so mad I decided to not buy one until I knew for sure the game would be coming out. Now I've made it a weird tradition that every console I buy is a black friday bundle.

For some reason, I've never had any interest in owning any incarnation of the X-Box. The only exclusive X-Box game I ever wanted was Tales of Vesperia.

Wow I had no idea halo wars was coming this early.

Seems like no hype at all for it.

I've been seeing a bit of marketing for it, but out of today when the new ads dropped, I haven't seen much of a push.

Hopefully the decline from HW1 to 2 isn't too massive.

Good thing I'm talking about the US market and even explicitly said so right?

Down wordwide and up in one market or up worldwide and down in one market. Which would you choose? The over-inflation on the importance of the U.S. continues. I mean get this is the NPD thread, but outside of when Sony announces a new milestone most sales talk on here is centered around the U.S. only.

Ray Down

Banned
A win for PS4 eventhough its down in numbers compared to 2016.

February is going to be a homerun for Sony with Nioh, Nier & Horizon.

Plua they got MLB 2017 for March too.

PS4 on Boost Mode fam.

Only one more of those 3 games are a system seller.

Down wordwide and up in one market or up worldwide and down in one market. Which would you choose? The over-inflation on the importance of the U.S. continues. I mean get this is the NPD thread, but outside of when Sony announces a new milestone most sales talk on here is centered around the U.S. only.

Again, we have no idea if global sell through is up or down for the Xbox One since Slim launch.

We, quite literally, do not have numbers for that information.

PS4 is doing great globally. No one is saying otherwise.

It's a US sales thread dude. If you aren't gonna follow the rules and discuss US sales what are you here for

What rules am I not following? I made that comment in response to an exchange between two other members. Sorry if my mere mention of the bigger picture has offended you in some way.

Again, we have no idea if global sell through is up or down for the Xbox One since Slim launch.

We, quite literally, do not have numbers for that information.

PS4 is doing great globally. No one is saying otherwise.

And we never will. I wonder why? It is easy to paint a rosy picture when you only a reveal a third of it.

Top Bottom