• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 UI demo at Hong Kong event

Kane1345

Fast, clean and simple is all I need. A few niggles in that vid but it's basically what I wanted. Roll on the 29th :/

Of course the Xbone UI is better, Microsoft is a software company. PS4 UI doesn't blow me away but it doesn't look like crap either, I can live with it. I don't spend much time in the UI anyway I play these things called games.

Wow, I can understand what they are saying. :p
The UI looks alright; if I can use the PS3 XMB then I don't think I will complain about this.
I have to admit though that the XBone UI and retail boxes are slicker than the PS4 ones to me still.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Expected. MS is a software company at its roots.

I'm not sure MS is a gold standard wrt UIs. I know plenty of people who hate Metro.

A good UI should really be invisible IMO. I mean obviously not literally, but it should just minimise the barriers to you doing something. Looks are important, but less important than that. Looking cool != good UI.

And if we're mostly focussing on the aesthetics of the UI rather than the functionality of the software to separate the two I'd say Sony has come up a lot vs PS3/360.

TheKayle

Banned
in some part responsive in some part not
it look too simply (and some design choice are really horrible) ...not excited at all..but i was expecting this
definitly not the best os compared to others console os

from what im seeing...hw to sony ..sw to ms

the only pro in this is that the ps4 seem to be oriented just and only at gaming so ...maybe less is more for them

Doffen

What are the advantages of Xbox One UI other than Snap, TV Guide and Voice Commands.

You've got a section to the left with your pins. Plus the big "live" picture in center of what main app is running.

It seems however odd to say "what are the advantages other than..." and than you mention not 1 but three things.

Either way, the UI looks smooth and I'm looking forward to try it for myself.

I'm not sure MS is a gold standard wrt UIs. I know plenty of people who hate Metro.

And if we're mostly focussing on the aesthetics of the UI rather than the functionality of the software to separate the two I'd say Sony has come up a lot vs PS3/360.

At the very minimum they should have had the common sense to not go with a bright blue background. Black for example would have been a far safer choice if you're not even going to allow people to customize it.

Dunlop

" i wish the ps4 reserved 10% GPU power to make the UI look nicer ;( " - said no one ever.

Hate to break it to you but ugly ass layout has not correlation with the GPU power being used

They really needed this video out before the XB1 UI vid

good lawd

Mahadev

I love the PS4 but that UI is so, so basic and bland.

It's not bland but it's pretty basic which I like. I want a fast and easy to use ui not some flashy bullshit that waste more of my time with useless animations and unnecessary crap in it. Personally, I love it.

Loomba

Expected. MS is a software company at its roots.

Yeah completely expected, even more so considering the amount of resources that MS use for the OS compared to Sony.

I'd say I wouldn't mind much but considering how integrated the UI is with these consoles (video saving and connecting to friends etc) this UI might become a little stale.

Time will tell I guess, hope they can improve it over time.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
At the very minimum they should have had the common sense to not go with a bright blue background. Black for example would have been a far safer choice if you're not even going to allow people to customize it.

I'd find it interesting if such a small change appeased more people - would certainly demonstrate the focus on aesthetics vs usability in this conversation.

But I guess this is a video, usability (or lack thereof) might be more appreciable when the thing is in our own hands.

erawsd

I will never understand the hate for basic/simple UI.

Yeah, I think it looks fine. I do wonder how well it'll "fill out". What happens when I've got 20 games/apps installed. Is it just an endless horizontal scroll, or is there some other type of organization in play?

I certainly prefer it to the look of the Xbox UI, which is filled with music, movies, and other ads I could care less about.

Buggy Loop

Im wondering what the japaneses are expecting to play on PS4's launch? I dont expect Knack or Killzone to exactly set their world on fire.

Ugh I really find this the least impressive thing about ps4 as I feared. I know the platform is better for games with stronger hardware but from what I saw in the other video, Microsoft definitely has the entertainment aspects locked down.

Too bad we can't have both.

shem935

Banned
in some part responsive in some part not
it look too simply (and some design choice are really horrible) ...not excited at all..but i was expecting this
definitly not the best os compared to others console os

from what im seeing...hw to sony ..sw to ms

the only pro in this is that the ps4 seem to be oriented just and only at gaming so ...maybe less is more for them

Personal preferences how do they work...

RayMaker

Banned
Its acceptable, I suppose, would of been nice for a bit more of an update over the PS3 and as Steve Jobs put it, a more ''magical'' OS would of been nice.

I would of thought PSN would be more integrated and blended in seamlessly into the OS.In the UK the PSN store is better then it used to be but its bloody annoying that not all demos are shown in one list.Hopefully PSN is a much smoother and better laid out experience.

At the end f the day its all about the games and online experience, which I will be watching on both systems very closely for the first 6-12 months.

Until then PS3 all the way, I have a backlog that could last me years, lol.

---------------

Sony need to do a live OS demo like MS did.

and

shem935: Personal preferences how do they work...

well this is not exactly IOS vs android, from what we have seen X1 OS can do whatever PS4 OS can do, but X1 has many more features

KAL2006

Banned
You've got a section to the left with your pins. Plus the big "live" picture in center of what main app is running.

It seems however odd to say "what are the advantages other than..." and than you mention not 1 but three things.

Either way, the UI looks smooth and I'm looking forward to try it for myself.

The reason I asked what are the advantages other than Snap, voice and TV is I'm genuinely interested in the advantage. The reason I exclude snap, voice and TV is because those features don't interest me. Snap is useless to me as I use my smartphone for multi-tasking and I bet that is the feature using the extra allocation, then voice commands is something I never like to use and TV is not a option in my country.

When yof exclude those features, both UI's are the same, but I prefer PS4 due to longer record times for sharing.

I'd find it interesting if such a small change appeased more people - would certainly demonstrate the focus on aesthetics vs usability in this conversation.

But I guess this is a video, usability (or lack thereof) might be more appreciable when the thing is in our own hands.

I'm not even commenting on usability. From a pure design perspective, this looks like amateur work. Aesthetically it's kinda painful to look at. A black background and not making the default icons for things like the browser blue would instantly make this look more pleasing to the eye.

Salex_

Im wondering what the japaneses are expecting to play on PS4's launch? I dont expect Knack or Killzone to exactly set their world on fire.
You do realize that there are a bunch of games for the JP launch? This includes Yazuka and Dynasty Warriors along with many others.

TheKayle

Banned
Ugh I really find this the least impressive thing about ps4 as I feared. I know the platform is better for games with stronger hardware but from what I saw in the other video, Microsoft definitely has the entertainment aspects locked down.

Too bad we can't have both.

thats the point....this two console are aiming at different things

1 360° entertainment machine
2 gaming console

wizzbang

Banned
All you metro loving, tablet loving, flat colour people need to just... ..fuck... seriously just fucking .,... god! stop.

10280_20090727184148!XMB_of_PS3.jpg

ART
Pure motherfucking art.
Look at that shit, so goddamn good.
See my games? I can see in that screenshot it's FIVE clicks to the right.
For each click I do, it will get closer, confirming I'm on target.
See display settings? I can see in that screenshot it's FOUR clicks down
For each clcik I do it will animate closer, confirming I'm on target.

Both top bottom / left and right are HARD - they don't wrap around.
From muscle memory I know, EVEN WHEN MY TELEVISION IS OFF AND STILL WARMING UP.............. just scroll right right right right like 10 times (I'm definitely hard right) then press left left and I'm at my games. The TV doesn't even have to be goddamned on,.......... by the time it's warmed up, I can be at where I need to be.

The animation is minimal and simple - it's not intrusive
I can see more than 1 thing per page, jesus christ is that important
There's icons per page as well.

The XMB fucking decimates the Microsoft user interfaces, not because I'm a Sony fan, not because I'm buying a PS4, not "just because" - it decimates it due to better design, it's more logical, it's faster to work with yet still good to look at.
The XMB won awards and rightly so. It's almost all I could ask for in a basic UI - I'm sure it could be tweaked some but honestly, thank fucking fuck that Sony didn't lose their confidence and think "oh shit, maybe we too can replace the entire UI?!?" - they stuck with it and fucking huge kudos to them.

Long live the XMB.

Ovek

7Member7
Are people actually saying the Xbone metro shit is better than a simple easy to use interface? Hahahahah.

TheKayle

Banned
All you metro loving, tablet loving, flat colour people need to just... ..fuck... seriously just fucking .,... god! stop.

10280_20090727184148!XMB_of_PS3.jpg

ART
Pure motherfucking art.

From muscle memory I know, EVEN WHEN MY TELEVISION IS OFF AND STILL WARMING UP.............. just scroll right right right right like 10 times (I'm definitely hard right) then press left left and I'm at my games. The TV doesn't even have to be goddamned on,.......... by the time it's warmed up, I can be at where I need to be.

The XMB fucking decimates the Microsoft user interfaces, not because I'm a Sony fan, not because I'm buying a PS4, not "just because" - it decimates it due to better design, it's more logical, it's faster to work with yet still good to look at.
The XMB won awards and rightly so. It's almost all I could ask for in a basic UI - I'm sure it could be tweaked some but honestly, thank fucking fuck that Sony didn't lose their confidence and think "oh shit, maybe we too can replace the entire UI?!?" - they stuck with it and fucking huge kudos to them.

Long live the XMB.

really pls...just pls....my car stereo have + or - the same interface..and this saying all

iamjohn

Let's not judge the UI on this off-screen video, guys...

I'm sure a crispy, HD look at this will let us see the true beauty of it :()

ART
Pure motherfucking art.

Long live the XMB.

Yes, if there's anything to be said about Microsoft's modern UI design is that they really love really, really awful animations and transitions. They're absolute eyesores and exist to do nothing but say "hey I'm smoooooth!" and "hey I'm active and doing something!". They're hardly inspiring at all, despite what some people want to think.

The sole problem with the PS4's UI here is the bright blue/white background. Bright colours nearly never make good backgrounds so I'm surprised Sony chose blue/white as the default choice. Yes, I understand those are SCE colours but it doesn't work very well.

Top Bottom