• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 UI demo at Hong Kong event

nib95

Banned
DemoNite with the UI web browsing gif (realtime speed). Looks great. Lightning quick.

its much faster as you can see when the keyboard is up, although I cheat with using History too ;) (real time speed)

iM7HUgF2H9YbR.gif

wizzbang

Banned
really pls...just pls....my car stereo have + or - the same interface..and this saying all

It sounds to me like your car stereo UI is pretty easy to use.
Infact, it sounds to me your car stereo UI is so easy to use you managed to remember how it's layed out,.

Mmmmmmmmmm

coldfoot

Banned
Not enough ads on it for the Xbox people to like it I guess.
Just kidding people don't seem to like empty space on a screen, look at the hate WP7 got and how MS just filled the screen with squares in WP8.

Whether it's PS4 or XB1, I think there are too many useless stuff down here... My personal tastes go to practical and fast UIs instead of shiny with information overload. I hope it's possible to deactivate portions so they just don't load and display. Let me cut the fat, I don't need FB/Twitter/whatever updates. My phone does that and it's never far from me.

I don't want the UI to be a thing per se. I want to be able to forget it exists, I want it to allow me to launch/join/organize a game as quickly as possible. Nothing more, nothing less, everything else goes again my expectation of a gaming console.

Make it quick, make it light, make it short.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
No wonder Sony hasn't showed the UI in an official capacity. This is NOT next gen UI material here!
I'm pretty sure I saw Yoshida open gamescom with the UI.

What is nextgen? A tablet/smartphone OS? That's basically what we are seeing from MS.

I don't want Sony's mobile OS on the PS4. I require something fast that has all the features I want.

After the Xbox One UI video reveal, this one look so terrible in comparassion. Simple and fast doesn't mean it need to be ugly in the design. If Xbox One Metro UI can be that fast with all of the stuff as in what showed in the video then why this "simple" PS4 UI can't be faster? At least hire a good designer to redesign it, tho..

Rainy Dog

Let me change the colors in the near future and I'll be happy

Yeah, that's all I'm bothered about. Expected it'd be black by default based on the current PSN store so hopefully they give us the option to change that aspect at least.

I expect we'll get fully fleged themes again eventually, though.

TheKayle

Banned
It sounds to me like your car stereo UI is pretty easy to use.
Infact, it sounds to me your car stereo UI is so easy to use you managed to remember how it's layed out,.

Mmmmmmmmmm

i use my car stereo to listen just and only music...while im driving.....i use console do to different stuff and not while im driving a car
i studied as designer..and that icons seem pulled out from webdings/windings fonts
etc etc etc etc etc

but yeah ps3 ui look better than ps4 to me

RanoNL

Looking good! I love how they split up the interface between games/apps and "other things". It's so simple. Love it. It looks a bit slow though, but that could be the wi-fi connection as well.

Btw: question. What do you do if you have 40 games/apps? Can you put them in folders?

suedester

Banned
After the Xbox One UI video reveal, this one look so terrible in comparassion. Simple and fast doesn't mean it need to be ugly in the design. If Xbox One Metro UI can be that fast with all of the stuff as in what showed in the video then why this "simple" PS4 UI can't be faster? At least hire a good designer to redesign it, tho..

What are you talking about? The UI in the video is really snappy. And this is based on the xmb which won design awards. You may not like it, which is fine, but it most definitely is not bad design.

TheKayle

Banned
Hahahahaha what are you trying to say? That just because your stereo has a similar interface to the XMB the PS3 is shit?

I'm sure the designers at Sony have those books too.

in fact im sure scee forced them to use that colours...that honestly arent the best...(and im being good)
but i dont see this as excuse to design unrelated menus....too

it look empty and unsignificant....

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
All you metro loving, tablet loving, flat colour people need to just... ..fuck... seriously just fucking .,... god! stop.

10280_20090727184148!XMB_of_PS3.jpg

ART
Pure motherfucking art.
Look at that shit, so goddamn good.
See my games? I can see in that screenshot it's FIVE clicks to the right.
For each click I do, it will get closer, confirming I'm on target.
See display settings? I can see in that screenshot it's FOUR clicks down
For each clcik I do it will animate closer, confirming I'm on target.

Both top bottom / left and right are HARD - they don't wrap around.
From muscle memory I know, EVEN WHEN MY TELEVISION IS OFF AND STILL WARMING UP.............. just scroll right right right right like 10 times (I'm definitely hard right) then press left left and I'm at my games. The TV doesn't even have to be goddamned on,.......... by the time it's warmed up, I can be at where I need to be.

The animation is minimal and simple - it's not intrusive
I can see more than 1 thing per page, jesus christ is that important
There's icons per page as well.

The XMB fucking decimates the Microsoft user interfaces, not because I'm a Sony fan, not because I'm buying a PS4, not "just because" - it decimates it due to better design, it's more logical, it's faster to work with yet still good to look at.
The XMB won awards and rightly so. It's almost all I could ask for in a basic UI - I'm sure it could be tweaked some but honestly, thank fucking fuck that Sony didn't lose their confidence and think "oh shit, maybe we too can replace the entire UI?!?" - they stuck with it and fucking huge kudos to them.

Long live the XMB.

Or you could just say "xbox settings" "xbox load games" while your tv is off and kinect is on??

KAL2006

Banned
Xbox One
My Pins
Better Voice Commands
TV Guide (for specific countries)
Snap

PS4
LiveArea (friends activity feed)
Longer Record Time for Sharing

Can someone update this, these are the advantages I can find for each so far.

shem935

Banned
well this is not exactly IOS vs android, from what we have seen X1 OS can do whatever PS4 OS can do, but X1 has many more features

And if those features (snap, and tv stuff) don't appeal to me and the ps4's extra streaming options do? Personal preference

jiggles

Banned
The load time for 'live area' data - if that's what they're also calling it on PS4 - did annoy me here. At least in the first load for Knack's. The Playroom live area loaded a lot quicker. Maybe their internet connection was a bit dodgy and/or in the first case of Knack the OS was still warming up (?)

Given the slow load time and the URL of the web page he opened, I'd say it's down to him being on US test servers from a spotty connection in Hong Kong.

PaulloDEC

Looks totally fine to me. Clean, simple and fast are all I need in a UI. The XMB delivered that, and hopefully this will too.

Well, so far it looks ok, but XB1 looks infinitely better and much faster. Not really a deal breaker for me anyhow but I think the XB1 will be more useful over all regardless of your needs with the UI.

GlassCity

Banned
Hmm, that looks decent i guess, but very underwhelming after the Xbx U I reveal.

It will get the job done, and that's what is most important.

Bring on Killzone!

RayMaker

Banned
And if those features (snap, and tv stuff) don't appeal to me and the ps4's extra streaming options do? Personal preference

Seeing how we have not seen voice commands,movment navigation and instant switching on PS4 it seems likely the X1 versions to be better.

I could see some people preferring a controller to voice and gesture commands, but instant switching will fundamentally enhance any console experience, but if you dont like a better version of instant switching thats like someone saying they prefer 720p to 1080p.

Donny

in fact im sure scee forced them to use that colours...that honestly arent the best...(and im being good)
but i dont see this as excuse to design unrelated menus....too

it look empty and unsignificant....

Oh my God. Because you studied design right? But wait, what does psychology of colours say? I'm sure this is covered in design.

BLUE. Intellectual.
Positive: Intelligence, communication, trust, efficiency, serenity, duty, logic, coolness, reflection, calm.
Negative: Coldness, aloofness, lack of emotion, unfriendliness.

Blue is the colour of the mind and is essentially soothing; it affects us mentally, rather than the physical reaction we have to red. Strong blues will stimulate clear thought and lighter, soft blues will calm the mind and aid concentration. Consequently it is serene and mentally calming. It is the colour of clear communication. Blue objects do not appear to be as close to us as red ones. Time and again in research, blue is the world's favourite colour. However, it can be perceived as cold, unemotional and unfriendly.

http://www.colour-affects.co.uk/psychological-properties-of-colours

erawsd

Assumption based on Sony not showing a damn thing. However I am not bothered as I hate using voice commands.

Yeah and, honestly, from what the journos have said the MS guys had to repeat commands pretty frequently in the live demo. So its likely just as spotty as voice commands for any other device out there.

Seeing how we have not seen voice commands,movment navigation and instant switching on PS4 it seems likely the X1 versions to be better.

I could see some people preferring a controller to voice and gesture commands, but instant switching will fundamentally enhance any console experience, but if you dont like a better version of instant switching thats like someone saying they prefer 720p to 1080p.
You never know, both systems can end up requiring repeating to get commands through.

Out of everything I've seen from both the Xbox One and the PS4 the only thing that has excited me is the prospect that I actually have a trackpad on my controller so that when I use the web browser the experience won't be ass.

agm2502

The video showed instant switching from game to web browser didn't it?

klee123

Yep, don't get the complains about the UI.

Always preferred the simple UI of the XMB over the cluttered X360 metro UI.

Seems like this will be a repeat of before which is fine by me.

kyser73

Please don't mistake design for decoration.

I absolutely loathe anything animated or involving transition animation in a UI, which is why I dislike everything about the Xbone UI - it's always so damn busy and saying 'Hey! Look at me! I'm like an attract sequence!.'

For me this continuation of the PS3s XMB design philosophy is a joy to behold.

Top Bottom