• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4K information (~2x GPU power w/ clock+, new CPU, price, tent. Q1 2017)

Lady Gaia

By official I mean not using stores like game stop and how good were they,what can we expect sony to offer for those willing to upgrade ps4 to ps4 4k?

Nothing. You're not doing them a favor by taking a PS4K off their hands or handing them your old console. What would Sony do with a bunch of used PS4s? GameStop has a business model built around moving used hardware and software, which is why they're a natural to offer a trade-in program.

Why are people so worried about annotating temporal reconstruction for 4K content when we haven't had as much outcry regarding similar tricks at 1080p? Okay, there was something of a fuss around Killzone, but I thought we got over it not long after that. Besides which, in practice the vast majority of AAA gaming is going to be upscaled from some kind of intermediate resolution. Isn't it going to be exhausting bickering over 4K-from-1800p-with-quarter-pixel-shading-half-pixel-coverage?

In practice titles are going to mostly be 1080p or "faux-K." True 4K native titles will be so few and far between and so obvious in their compromises on other fronts that I don't think we'll be clamoring for more of them.
There aren't many games that reconstruct right now for it to be an outcry, but it might be different when the majority of the games on a console resort to that method.

If a Dreamcast 2 was to release with tile based rendering & was able to achieve 4K because of the more efficient TBDR would we have to say it's not 4K?

Just because they are able to achieve 4K in a more efficient way does not mean it shouldn't have the right to be called 4K.

If Nintendo next console use TBDR do we say that it's not the resolution that it's outputting just because it's not doing it in one pass?
Because tile rendering may be more efficient but it's native rendering. No "uprendering" technique thus far is completely free of artifacts or even a softer look, specially in motion, so many will prefer native.

anothertech

in reality this is the end of the ps4. the gen is over come this fall? it's had only 1 major major release in Uncharted 4 because how will people really not consider this console a ps5? dafaq
Hey bro, don't sweat this. We gonna be playing Titanfall2 on the Neo in a month and a half. It's gonn blow us away!

Hexa

If a Dreamcast 2 was to release with tile based rendering & was able to achieve 4K because of the more efficient TBDR would we have to say it's not 4K?

Just because they are able to achieve 4K in a more efficient way does not mean it shouldn't have the right to be called 4K.

If Nintendo next console use TBDR do we say that it's not the resolution that it's outputting just because it's not doing it in one pass?

TBDR doesn't actually sample 4K so no we wouldn't call it that regardless of what console did it, as when referring to rendering resolution that's what is generally referred to and not what is outputted, which is generally referred to as the display resolution. You can use all the tricks you want but it'll never be completely accurate, the missing pixels are just approximations. To claim it's the same as true 4K is disingenuous.

onQ123

TBDR doesn't actually sample 4K so no we wouldn't call it that regardless of what console did it, as when referring to rendering resolution that's what is generally referred to and not what is outputted, which is generally referred to as the display resolution. You can use all the tricks you want but it'll never be completely accurate, the missing pixels are just approximations. To claim it's the same as true 4K is disingenuous.

No one clam it to be the same as the other 4K but to say that it's not 4K when it actually is a 4K final output buffer is also wrong.

Hexa

No one clam it to be the same as the other 4K but to say that it's not 4K when it actually is a 4K final output buffer is also wrong.

Well yeah. And technically this guy is right too, but that doesn't prevent it from being disingenuous, as when people talk about resolutions they mean the native rendering resolution.

There are techniques that sample one 1 out of 4 pixels of a block in a rotating manner and use reconstruction for the rest. That's reconstructed 4K, so you would call that 4K, but it barely looks any better than 1080p and has some other issues. Simply calling it 4K would be more incorrect than not calling it 4K imo.

Lemondish

Are we even sure the slim is a real thing? I thought part of what brought Neo to reality was that when Sony began investigating the process for die shrinks on the PS4, R&D was cheaper to use better hardware, the to shrink the existing stuff?

Exactly.

Which strongly suggests the slim isn't a real thing.

Jzero

No chance there's going to be a version that competes with the Xbox One S in terms of pricing right? I don't like white consoles :(

gatti-man

lol. Badenergytroll indeed.

I think people will be pleasantly surprised how much difference 4.3teraflops will make. 6tf will be better, for sure. But 12tf will blow that away. Etc etc. XboneS however is still an Xbone.

4.3 TF isn't worth an upgrade. 6 TF is. If it ends up being 4.3 I'll just buy Scorpio and switch sides in the middle of the generation.

injurai

Banned
I am hoping Deep Down rears it's head. I'm guessing the silence on it may have been a result of the PS4K in planning. Or maybe it was just that Panta Rhei was behind development schedule which pushed back Deep Down as well.

AmyS

(For the new page)

I noticed GameStop's trade-in value of PS4 has dropped by $50.

Last week the PS4 500GB was worth $200 trade in credit, or $200 cash.

This week the same PS4 500GB is now worth $150 trade credit or $150 cash.

dPM6iNb.jpg

Can anyone else confirm that they also noticed this ?

Not surprising they've done this 3 weeks ahead of September 7th announcement of Neo :/

Of course it will drop.

Just like IPhone trade in prices drop when the apple events are announced.

GameStop isn't stupid and Sony have filled them in on this.

RedAssedApe

Banned
(For the new page)

I noticed GameStop's trade-in value of PS4 has dropped by $50.

Last week the PS4 500GB was worth $200 trade in credit, or $200 cash.

This week the same PS4 500GB is now worth $150 trade credit or $150 cash.

dPM6iNb.jpg

Can anyone else confirm that they also noticed this ?

Not surprising they've done this 3 weeks ahead of September 7th announcement of Neo :/

thought they were advertising a console trade in promotion for the Xbones last week

Spy

I still don't know why people were assuming the Neo is a lock for this hear. I don't think anything has been said either way.

wapplew

Not lock for this year, but lock for this fiscal year.
Unless they have other product for those 4K bluray HDR customer in the holiday season, Neo missing that time frame could be a big miss opportunity.

Lady Gaia

You can use all the tricks you want but it'll never be completely accurate, the missing pixels are just approximations. To claim it's the same as true 4K is disingenuous.

... just like nobody refers to UHD Blu-ray as 4K, and nobody calls original Blu-ray content 1080p, right? In reality, the vast majority of content people consume consists of approximations. We've been living with anti-aliasing techniques that are post-processing shortcuts far less accurate than true supersampling for the last decade or so and people seem okay with that, too.

This insistence on using the exact same rendering technique for every pixel will pass, so long as the approximations are good enough to be convincing.

All I understand is either native 4K (2160p) and any other resolution upscaled to 4K output.

nn4k (non-native 4K).

Additional explanations would be helpful.

~4K.

or

Four. Kay?

EDIT: Feeling much better about my decision to sell my PS4 to Gamestop last week. That trade in value dropped fast!

thought they were advertising a console trade in promotion for the Xbones last week

The trade in values for the 500gb Xbone, and PS4 were no different than they were before the "promotion" though. I think people just assumed they were getting a better trade in value than normal because of all of the advertising for it.

AmyS

Sorry if this has already been answered,but do you need a 4ktv for this? Or will I still see benefits with a regular 1080p screen?

I think it'll ultimately depend on the game, what developers do to improve each one in terms of graphical fidelity, textures, framerate, etc., not just resolution.

Sony isn't going to mandate a native 4K framebuffer.

onQ123

4.3 TF isn't worth an upgrade. 6 TF is. If it ends up being 4.3 I'll just buy Scorpio and switch sides in the middle of the generation.

What if it's a 4.2TF GPU with a RTU that will handle the lighting , reflections & shadows freeing up the GPU to do more with that 4.2TF? would you still feel like 4.2TF isn't worth an upgrade?

Not saying that this will happen I'm just saying that numbers don't tell the whole story

anothertech

I still don't know why people were assuming the Neo is a lock for this hear. I don't think anything has been said either way.
September announce. Fall 2016 leak rumor. Sony stating they like the iPhone release method. Getting a year ahead of the competition.

It all starts to paint s picture of an October release. But no, nothing on lock. Many of us willing to take that bet though, and I think odds would be in our favor.

From my understanding Neo was mainly for 4k monitor owners,those who want the best PSVR experience and game upgrades came third.I don't own 4k (yet) so before commiting I'd want guarantees that major developers will be making those seperate NEO builds for all AAA games.Hopefully at the reveal they announce partnerships and what games will be getting Neo modes kinda how they did with PSVR this e3.

If I'm being honest if they just announce NEO patched games will run at 1080p 60fps I'd buy in a hearbeat.

//DEVIL//

Could you please give me an official spokesman's quote saying anything like that? Must have missed that.

i also read that somewhere else. but i forgot where. not sure if its still coming out this year tho. there is no single production leak image . meaning it didnt get into full production me think.

Could you please give me an official spokesman's quote saying anything like that? Must have missed that.
https://www.theguardian.com/technol...n-boss-andrew-house-ps4-neo-microsoft-scorpio
“I was surprised by the step of announcing something over a year ahead of time,” he said. “The dynamics of the tech industry are such that there’s a much heavier emphasis on immediate gratification than there was. A lot of that is to do with how Apple has very cleverly and elegantly managed the ‘available now’ approach. So yes, that was a slight surprise to me. We experienced this ourselves, when, in 2013, very much in line with our previous strategies, we announced a concept and a name for PlayStation 4, and everyone said ‘where’s the box? How dare you?!’ That was the point we realised, well, we hadn’t changed but the world around us had.”

Caayn

From my understanding Neo was mainly for 4k monitor owners,those who want the best PSVR experience and game upgrades came third.I don't own 4k (yet) so before commiting I'd want guarantees that major developers will be making those seperate NEO builds for all AAA games.Hopefully at the reveal they announce partnerships and what games will be getting Neo modes kinda how they did with PSVR this e3.

If I'm being honest if they just announce NEO patched games will run at 1080p 60fps I'd buy in a hearbeat.
If the leaked documents are to be believed a separate Neo mode that runs at least as good as the PS4 version is required for all games released in October or later.

Just don't get your hopes up for 1080p/60fps. It'll likely be PS4 versions with more graphical bells and whistles and a more stable framerate/better framepacing.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
doesn't bother me when it releases. this year or next i'll still be buying it. i think if they are going to release it a little closer to Scorpio then it will be a bit more powerful than we think and will close the gap between itself and Scorpio.

If the leaked documents are to be believed a separate Neo mode that runs at least as good as the PS4 version is required for all games released in October or later.

Just don't get your hopes up for 1080p/60fps. It'll likely be PS4 versions with more graphical bells and whistles and a more stable framerate.

some people think this will be able to play 4K lol. will be lucky if 1080p 60fps is achieved. the ps4 struggles to manage 30fps in some games. giving it an overclock isn't going to magically give you another 30-40fps. the gpu might be more powerful but we'll still be stuck with a jagur cpu.

Marlenus

I am not bothered by 4k. 4.2 TFlops is just not enough to do it justice and neither is 6 really. It will be the next gen consoles that will do 4k properly sometime in 2019/2020.

The main reason for me to get a Neo is for better frame rates and slightly better eye candy. Hopefully it will also offer decent a benefits for PSVR as well. 4k is really not on the table at this time IMO.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I am not bothered by 4k. 4.2 TFlops is just not enough to do it justice and neither is 6 really. It will be the next gen consoles that will do 4k properly sometime in 2019/2020.

The main reason for me to get a Neo is for better frame rates and slightly better eye candy. Hopefully it will also offer decent a benefits for PSVR as well. 4k is really not on the table at this time IMO.

it's only just becoming possible to do 4K 60fps on PC with a single card for games like The Witcher 3 /GTA V/Tomb Raider and even then you need to turn settings down in some games. oh and the gpu itself cost $1200 and is 11TF.

Planet

Thanks for the links!

It is not automatically getting more powerful by releasing it half a year later. It must be planned more powerful from the ground up, and then it might not be possible until later (see Microsoft). That's why it will be this year I am pretty sure, maybe November. No point in waiting, we know their plans are already in motion for a while now.

Top Bottom