• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4's digital pre-order of Resident Evil Revelations 2 causes license restore problem

We got another support update on the Sony forums, and I got a PM asking for info and if I'd be willing to help out.

Anyone with the license error is being asked to PM the support member his post is near the bottom here:

http://community.us.playstation.com...rder-Throwback-Maps-not/td-p/45000095/page/55

I told them I'd help any way I could to try and get this problem fixed up for people. Hopefully tomorrow I'll hear back and can forward the error numbers etc.

I also mentioned that some users were still having the issue with Dying Light's season pass license/dlc, and it seems from reading here that there may be quite a mess for other games as well now that some of us are installing new hard drives or migrating systems etc that would need a full license restore to happen.

SURGEdude

This is just so messed up guys.

I'm having a similar bizarre issue with Woah Dave not letting me download on PS4 despite owning the crossplay Vita version. Not thrilled with the way Sony is doing their online licenses.

EekTheKat

Sent a PM to the support guy over there, hopefully he can get some answers.

IMHO, the issue has something to do with how PSN flags certain pre-order bundles. In this case and in Dying Light's case both bundles are flagged with an entitlement (game) Pre-Order that's pushing a 0kb file to be downloaded to end user PS4's.

You can verify this usually by trying to click download one of tthe files bundled. ONE of them should return an error CE-37700-7. If you delete the entire game and attempt to re-download it again it will show up as a 0kb file that you can select.

That file I believe is the one causing the License Restore utility to freak out. Dying Light had a similar 0kb file attached to the bundle and the error went away when I received a refund for the game.

TL;DR

PSN pushed an invalid file that's a part of a bundle to end user PS4's . The License Restore utility REALLY does not like checking a 0kb file. License Restore Utility panics and disconnects (which is why we're seeing NP-34993-8 errors - Support seems to think that's a connection to server lost error code ).

EekTheKat

I get the impression they made some changes in protocol in how to handle pre-orders, and it's not working out 100% for them with every game.

They seem to need to bundle an entitlement in pre-order bundles that flags the accounts of users who buy them as "Pre-Ordered". But by doing this they are pushing out a bad/invalid file to end users .

By bad/invalid file I mean they're telling the end user PS4 to look for a certain file that's just flat out not there - a broken link or a broken file.

EekTheKat

It should be fairly easy to correct in Resident Evil Revelations 2 case. The game is more or less "Done" and they can remove references to the pre-order link that's bundled and just directly bundle the pre-order items themselves into the bundle.

It's whether or not we can get the right people to take a look at this issue over there that's the problem. Low tier phone/chat support personnel simply are not allowed to make changes to PSN servers/accounts directly, and they have to file trouble tickets to address this issue.

Sent a PM to the support guy over there, hopefully he can get some answers.

IMHO, the issue has something to do with how PSN flags certain pre-order bundles. In this case and in Dying Light's case both bundles are flagged with an entitlement (game) Pre-Order that's pushing a 0kb file to be downloaded to end user PS4's.

You can verify this usually by trying to click download one of tthe files bundled. ONE of them should return an error CE-37700-7. If you delete the entire game and attempt to re-download it again it will show up as a 0kb file that you can select.

That file I believe is the one causing the License Restore utility to freak out. Dying Light had a similar 0kb file attached to the bundle and the error went away when I received a refund for the game.

TL;DR

PSN pushed an invalid file that's a part of a bundle to end user PS4's . The License Restore utility REALLY does not like checking a 0kb file. License Restore Utility panics and disconnects (which is why we're seeing NP-34993-8 errors - Support seems to think that's a connection to server lost error code ).

I think you pretty much nailed the explanation.

They asked if I would allow an engineer to use my account to trace the problem, so it sounds like we finally have the right guys looking into it. I'll update with anything else I find out later on in the day.

Alej

Banned
I have the same problem. And I have it since last year before Destiny was out.

It is surely related to one item in particular glitching the whole process. I'll follow this thread then.

Alec

Here's the latest from Sony and Capcom, per my requests. Hopefully, this puts pressure on Sony to fix this.

http://kotaku.com/psn-pre-order-glitch-has-gone-ignored-for-months-1699733320

Thank you for this! You also get bonus points for posting my epic dying light rant lol

Edit:

Just an update they were testing out something with me regarding the DLC Raid Stage 1 pack, and I was able to finally get it to download via a new free store link; it was working in game as well, however the licensing error was still there, but I noted that the season pass link was going directly to episode 1 and still was not showing installed, and when clicked to download would give the usual error. I also gave a full report on the Dying Light issues which were startlingly similar to RE's.

I guess the main thing is we finally have their attention and someone working on solving it which is good.

NomadX

Neo Member
I downloaded the Throwback Maps by going through the whole process of selecting it in game and then spamming the download button to get it to work. And they are still locked! Am I missing something here? Restore licenses is also still busted. What a complete mess. Why did I preorder again?

I downloaded the Throwback Maps by going through the whole process of selecting it in game and then spamming the download button to get it to work. And they are still locked! Am I missing something here? Restore licenses is also still busted. What a complete mess. Why did I preorder again?

Yup, this is the third game now in the last few months to have this problem, Driveclub did it, but got fixed fast thankfully, then Dying Light and Re:Rev2 did it and both aren't fixed still after months.

I haven't had any replies from last night's testing and feedback so who knows how long before things are fixed 100%

I am definitely done with doing pre-orders, I have witcher 3 still from ages ago (well before the delay etc) and once that hits I'm out lol, there really is no point for me anymore, besides most games release broken and get fixed months after I've beat them and moved on. I might as well buy them 3 months down the road when I see that the support is there and things work as intended.

All personal opinion of course, but I feel completely burned with pre-orders this gen.

Had the problem with Driveclub, Sony did absolutely nothing, couldn't even get support to understand the issue let alone move it along to a fix. PlayStation support scare the shit outta me with their ineptness.

le-seb

Had the problem with Driveclub, Sony did absolutely nothing, couldn't even get support to understand the issue let alone move it along to a fix. PlayStation support scare the shit outta me with their ineptness.
Do you mean that the license restoration problem Driveclub's DLC had caused solved itself in December because it got bored?
It took them quite some time to solve the problem, which is unfortunate, but they did solve it.

Do you mean that the license restoration problem Driveclub's DLC had caused solved itself in December because it got bored?
It took them quite some time to solve the problem, which is unfortunate, but they did solve it.
I contacted Sony about 5 times over the course of several months. Not once did they understand the problem. They wouldn't even reply with a personalised message if contacted via email, just useless stock emails completely unrelated to the problem. They then just kept asking if I would like a refund for Driveclub. Absolutely hopeless. I gave up in the end, but checking now it seems to have been resolved.

le-seb

I think this is more a problem with the support people being clueless about how the PlayStation's DRM framework works under the hood, and the lack of effective procedures to get these problems sorted by themselves or at least properly escalated to people who will be able to solve them.

Hopefully, Kotaku's article will make Sony management aware that these problems happen too frequently, can be really problematic for people who need to restore licenses for any reasons, and that actions need to be taken to both prevent them from happening and to provide their support team with means to get their hands on.

I solved my driveclub issue at the time by getting a refund and then I bought it a few months down the line when they fixed it and had online actually working. They certainly have an awkward way of doing business and fixing license issues.

Alec

Hadn't heard anything from Sony, so I attempted to chat in. That's when I received this screen:

danCVz9.png

My immediate reaction was to be outraged. I remoted into my computer at home and was able to get through, so i guess they banned my work's IP address. I chatted in twice last week about this issue and left pretty negative surveys both times, so...that's cool?

Anyway, when I got through the chat on my home computer, they just told me that they couldn't help and to call in. So I did that and went through the whole rigamarole once more...this time though, I tried to keep it very simple. I said "I can't access my PS4 Raid Mode Throwback Map Pack for Resident Evil Revelations 2. The website is acting like I've already purchased it, but I haven't. It was supposed to come free with the pre-order, but I can't find in my transaction history where I ever checked out with it."

He put me on hold for about five minutes. During this time, the "Add To Cart" button finally showed up on the webstore and I was able to check out with it. Now it says "Purchased" in blue letters as it is supposed to (it never showed that before) and I'm not getting any errors sending it to my PS4. When he came back to the phone, I told him that the option showed up and I was able to check out with it.

So I'm not sure if he was able to do it himself or if he had to get up and go talk to someone, but he definitely knew the procedure to make it work. I'm still at work so I can't test the "Restore Your Licenses" feature, but I'm much more hopeful now.

So, no refund. But maybe I won't need one. I'll update again once I'm home in a few hours.
The one day I don't bring my Vita to work...

Alec

No luck. The DLC shows up in-game now but I still can't restore my licenses.

I guess since I still have the un-downloadable 0kb file for the Complete Season. Making contact once again...

Edit: This is a nightmare. Their chat support is unreal. Guess I'm calling.

Edit 2: I asked the guy to read through the notes on my account and he informed me that:

a) My issue had been logged 8 times and escalated twice. The financing department denied the refund every single time.
b) There was an additional escalation where the phone rep requested that I receive a callback from the Corporate Office (I was told I would receive a call from them). I never heard anything. In the notes it said that Corporate denied giving me a call. That was that.

REALLY? REALLY?

Dude was really sympathetic though. I think he could hear it in my voice how defeated I was about the whole thing. I was pretty frank with him. I've worked in call centers for the vast majority of my life so I have always been super nice to the reps. I said "I know it's not your call, but if I could just explain this to whoever has the ability to push the button, this would finally end." At that point he put me on hold for quite a while, but I was happy to wait because I really felt like he was trying. He eventually came back and said he got it approved and that they would process it in the normal 3-5 business day timeframe. He was very honest and didn't try to dance around his words, so I feel good about this one. I was very gracious. I'll update again in a few days.

Good lord this is exhausting.

Support on the sony forum gave an update last night assuring us they are still working on the license problem. So I guess it's just a matter of waiting more =S

Imagine if they actually did something about it 3 months ago instead of marking it solved lol (not really lol)

For those that can't download their map-pack here is the current work around :

http://community.us.playstation.com...evelations-2-Throwback-Maps-Fix/td-p/45129073

Here's the support post we got (bottom of page last post):

http://community.us.playstation.com...rder-Throwback-Maps-not/td-p/45000095/page/57

Alec

Got my refund! The helpful dude came through. The item has disappeared from my library and the licenses are restoring successfully.

Good luck to anyone else fighting this. Don't give up!

Well, another week and we still have screwed licenses. There's been a few people here and on Sony's forums that have had some luck (often after repeatedly being denied) getting a refund, which solved their ordeal.

Still no comments on Sony's end other than the ability to get the map pack if you couldn't previously download it. However for those that did already get it but had problems, they don't seem to have the option to re-download. I won't even bring the license problem up, since it makes me grumpy.

Edit: Just an update again, Sony support has yet again put us all basically on ignore over at the official forums. The only glimmer of hope I have is that maybe just maybe Tuesday's down time will include a fix for the licenses. It has been almost two weeks since we heard anything on Sony's end regarding this problem.

Edit 2: Tried my luck yet again with a refund request and was promptly shot down... http://community.us.playstation.com...sage?board.id=22090&message.id=151913#M151913

PepperedHam

Bumping this since it's happening to me, though it isn't happening because of Revelations 2 (as I don't even own the game). I'm not even sure what's causing it as I have my PSN as primary on my dad's PS4 and I'm used to being locked out if there's a net problem. Though this time I'm 100% connected to PSN and can't access any of my digital content as well as getting that error code.

What a crock of shit.

EDIT: Probably due to maintenance and I'm probably an idiot. Though I shall see in the morning.

Just another update, I finally got through to a rep that was willing to listen and look into the information I have constantly be providing and they forwarded a refund request =/

Sad thing is as others here have experienced is that the request can still be denied /rolls eyes.

This whole thing is a giant unnecessary headache all over an erroneous file =/

I feel for anyone with this problem. Having an entire digital library hanging on Playstation support's incredible ineptness scares me.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
I feel for anyone with this problem. Having an entire digital library hanging on Playstation support's incredible ineptness scares me.

Yeah, I've tried to go digital this gen. & now if anything goes wrong, I can't restore my licenses.

...which I've had to do before, so it isn't some far-fetched hypothetical. I feel pretty vulnerable given the way this has gone.

So I got my email from Sony just now... Refund Denied because all sale are final

This is just beyond fucking stupid... I was told them straight up I was going to repurchase the shit and that it was the only way I could fix the licenses problem...

So here we go after months of trying to get someone to actually listen and put in a request it gets denied lmfao!

Code:
Angry Customer,

Thank you for your recent call to Sony Computer Entertainment America (SCEA) Consumer Services.

We are unable to process your request for a refund on the PlayStation®Network.

According to our Terms of Service, all sales are final.

For more information please check the Terms of Service and User Agreement.

What the actual fuck is wrong with these guys!? Sigh... guess I'll be phoning again and again and again...

Edit: Got a second request in, and a refund finally, but they only deleted episode one's license from my account, sooo when I re bought it, I still had the licensing error after doing a full system initialization... Soooo I give up /facepalm now I have 400gb worth of games to yet again download with nothing actually fixed lols

Alec

So I got my email from Sony just now... Refund Denied because all sale are final

This is just beyond fucking stupid... I was told them straight up I was going to repurchase the shit and that it was the only way I could fix the licenses problem...

So here we go after months of trying to get someone to actually listen and put in a request it gets denied lmfao!

Code:
Angry Customer,

Thank you for your recent call to Sony Computer Entertainment America (SCEA) Consumer Services.

We are unable to process your request for a refund on the PlayStation®Network.

According to our Terms of Service, all sales are final.

For more information please check the Terms of Service and User Agreement.

What the actual fuck is wrong with these guys!? Sigh... guess I'll be phoning again and again and again...

Edit: Got a second request in, and a refund finally, but they only deleted episode one's license from my account, sooo when I re bought it, I still had the licensing error after doing a full system initialization... Soooo I give up /facepalm now I have 400gb worth of games to yet again download with nothing actually fixed lols

Don't give up! You need to provide them the transaction number for when you actually paid for the pre-order. Not any $0 transactions. I know it's exhausting but I have zero faith that it will be resolved by Sony internally.

ocX69eW.png

Just wanted to stop in and say I am finally fixed. Sony has removed the faulty season passes for both Dying Light and RE: Rev2.

So now after waiting since the end of January with Dying Light Season Pass errors, and the end of February with RE: Rev2 License errors, I am able to do a proper license restore without errors
until the next game they screw up and I buy

Overall it was a pretty awful ordeal, and Sony's support is just really not there at all with helping out on things beyond generic common sense issues.

On the Sony forum we all started making complaints to the BBB lol, so we think maybe that got their attention finally >.<

If you haven't tried for a while give the license restore a try and hopefully all is well!

hesido

My immediate reaction was to be outraged. I remoted into my computer at home and was able to get through, so i guess they banned my work's IP address. I chatted in twice last week about this issue and left pretty negative surveys both times, so...that's cool?

So I guess they use surveys not to improve the service but "weed out" disgruntled customers?

On the Sony forum we all started making complaints to the BBB lol, so we think maybe that got their attention finally >.<

What's BBB ? :)

Terrell

You'd think that their customer service would be at least par for the course with other non-physical goods merchants, but more and more it feels like this is definitely not the case, nor anything close to a few isolated incidents. I'd have expected it to be more widely reported.

So I guess they use surveys not to improve the service but "weed out" disgruntled customers?

What's BBB ? :)

The Better Business Bureau.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Dat digital future.
Stuff like that show me that i'm right whenever i purchase a physical copy.

Top Bottom