• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSVR Price: $399/399/£349/¥44,980, no camera/move, launching October

If you don't own a camera, it's 450 max in total.

No idea where the fuck people are getting 500 from. If your gonna try and inflate the price, try a bit harder.

Amazon UK

Note: Please be advised that PlayStation VR will go on sale at 11:00 GMT on Wednesday, 16 March, 2016. Due to limited stock we are only able to offer one unit per customer per address. This product comes with a UK plug and therefore may not be suitable for use outside of the UK.

labaronx

Have move and a camera.... glad they didnt wait til e3 for price so i can start saving now... $400 + $400 for fall games seems fair enough

Orbis

Lol at some Sony fanboys saying they won already the "VR wars".

$400 with an inferior screen and fov in the HMD, without the camera for positional tracking, and without any controller.
vs $600 of the Rift (with camera, wireless Xbox pad, good audio solution, 2 free games, case to transport it and even a remote control) vs $800 of the Vive (with 2 Lighthouses, 2 controllers, integrated camera for chaperone/AR) isn't exactly winning already the "VR war".
They aren't even directly competing. The entry cost for PC is a lot higher, so you essentially have two different markets. The only 'fair' battle is Oculus vs Vive. For Sony, PSVR is more about making the Playstation brand sell more versus its competition, mainly in the form of the Xbox One.

$400 with an inferior screen and fov in the HMD, without the camera for positional tracking, and without any controller.
vs $600 of the Rift (with camera, wireless Xbox pad, good audio solution, 2 free games, case to transport it and even a remote control) vs $800 of the Vive (with 2 Lighthouses, 2 controllers, integrated camera for chaperone/AR) isn't exactly winning already the "VR war". It's more like the expected, or even a bit more expensive than that, because I supposed the camera would be included, maybe even one Move controller.

Welp here we go.

Time to take my leave. Blood shall be spilt this day.

This is Gen 1 VR. Be glad it was't $449-$499 like some suspected. It is certainly more "affordable" than the competition. That is, of course, a relative measure.

Whether Sony can sell $400-$500 VR setups to tight-budgeted console gamers remains to be seen.

"Tight-budgeted" console gamers? I think you're putting the cart before the horse here. You expect people to throw down almost $500 for an experience they've never tried? It's not like they can view videos on YouTube and get the idea. You literally have to try VR to "get" VR. The only way Sony is going to get a critical mass is releasing something that's an impulse hype purchase, i.e. something under $300.

Daft Punk

Banned

vs $600 of the Rift (with camera, wireless Xbox pad, good audio solution, 2 free games, case to transport it and even a remote control) vs $800 of the Vive (with 2 Lighthouses, 2 controllers, integrated camera for chaperone/AR) isn't exactly winning already the "VR war". It's more like the expected, or even a bit more expensive than that, because I supposed the camera would be included, maybe even one Move controller.

While I think the $400 pricetag is shitty, let's not be naive. A $400 VR solution where the only needed hardware is a PS4 vs. a $600 and $800 VR solution that requires a capable computer on top of your initial investment. It isn't hard to see which solution VR proponents are hoping does well to get more people on board.

So considering that the PS4 camera is needed, and the taxes, the real price most likely be well over $500. Hillarious PR tactic from Sony making a bundle that doesn't contain everything needed for PSVR to actually work. This thing will be most likely abandoned by Sony after 1st year like all the peripherals/accesories they've made for their consoles.

What I need to know last is the specs of this thing.

A PS camera is no where near $100 .
In fact you can get on rather cheap now.

pelican

Got the move and the camera.. Hoping the move controllers batteries didn't die!

Related:
DyLj9az.gif

lol

foxbeldin

I had the camera in a great day-one bundle deal. I kept two moves from the ps3 era.

I still think that not putting a mandatory accessory in the box is dumb.

Still too pricey for me, for unproven tech with no real killer software. Good price compared to the competitors though. Although I would rather have the power of my PC driving a VR headset, rather than an underpowered PS4.

I'm eager to hop on the VR train, but I'm waiting for gen 2, I think.

Great launch timing, honestly. Just in time for the holidays.

I dont understand the not packing in the of the camera. This is bonkers.

Keeps pack-in costs low.

Yeah. But it doesnt work without it. Its like buying a new car without wheels. Yeah you can get in it and sit in it but it isnt going anywhere. I can see this changing before launch. Would be absurd to market to the public as an incomplete item.

Oh boy here it comes

DiracSea

Banned
Like I said in the GDC thread:

Too high for mass market appeal. Very disappointing. Will it beat OR and Vive? Sure. Will it introduce VR to the world? Absolutely not.

:(

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
Decent price. I have no interest on a console for VR but for those that don't have PCs this seems like an awesome opportunity. I'm all for more access to VR.

DjRalford

How can people say, with a straight face, that the PC VR solutions are cheaper when taking everything into account.

The PSVR + Camera + Controllers + PS4 will be about £700

Thats the price of just a headset package for PC let alone dropping money on £1000+ hardware to run it

Not including the camera or two move controllers which are essentially the best way to interact with VR games makes it feel like this is being sent to die.

Seriously, how many games are going to support Move controllers when they are a required addition.

Why would you not up the price and include a camera which is required. What is the point of VR when the headset doesn't track your movement.

My initial target of 500 is correct all in.

SerTapTap

No camera makes sense to me. Why should the few million people who already have PS camera (who are probably more likely than the rest to buy PSVR) pay an extra $50 by default?

Cmagus

Awesome, day 1 for me. Sucks they don't include the camera but I've seen those things on sale for next to nothing I guess it would be smart to pick one up early before the price goes back up.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
i can't believe i'll be VR'ing in October

it's finally here...

is the PS3 sony move compatible with this?

I guessed the price, woho.
So, basically they are asking you to buy a second console to play a couple of games. I think its still aimed at enthusiasts by now.

IvanJ

Banned
Great. Now that we have all the prices, we can close the book on VR and wait for a new gimmick in 2018/19.
No way this will take off in any meaningful way, it will be a repeat of Vita TV.
Just too expensive for what it offers.

If you don't own a camera, it's 450 max in total.

No idea where the fuck people are getting 500 from. If your gonna try and inflate the price, try a bit harder.
It's the same "PS4 is about as expensive as Xbox One when you add in this and that and that and that" from a few years ago.

Kind of pathetic, really. We finally got info on a new piece of kit at an extremely affordable price (for the tech) and people are more concerned with spreading FUD.

"Tight-budgeted" console gamers? I think you're putting the cart before the horse here. You expect people to throw down almost $500 for an experience they've never tried? It's not like they can view videos on YouTube and get the idea. You literally have to try VR to "get" VR. The only way Sony is going to get a critical mass is releasing something that's an impulse hype purchase, i.e. something under $300.

Well it should be easy for Sony to set up demo units in stores .

Top Bottom