• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSVR Review Thread

Shame that the press doesn't seem to have RIGS yet, that's the game I'm most interested in
Yeah, as others said they have it, but it seems embargoed. I am really interested too, because that game seems to have the most potential for motion sickness issues, yet seems like one of the more interesting titles at launch.

Yeah, as others said they have it, but it seems embargoed. I am really interested too, because that game seems to have the most potential for motion sickness issues, yet seems like one of the more interesting titles at launch.

Being able to get it for $40 from Amazon Prime feels like a good deal, too. I just need somebody to confirm it doesn't suck haha

All I keep thinking about is how many headsets they'd sell and how they could completely dominate the market if they made it PC compatible.

0racle

From my experience, the two games I played that allowed me to move in 3d space with the DS4 made me sick. Battle zone and Eve valkarie.

Everything else was ok, but potentially an issue if I was able to play them for more than 5 minutes.

I was sick with said games within 2. I actually had to stop the Battle zone demo it was so bad.

//DEVIL//

I also canceled my pre-order. I made a mistake and bought vive release day. Glad I was able to sell it without loss . Not doing the same mistake again .

The games are not there. Simply there is no killer app. Maybe resident evil but I don't like even horror games at all

Mindlog

Good lord. Why are they comparing it to a Sensorama?
Y5bRzFo.jpg

Fisty

I mean, I'm happy everyone is saving money and stuff, but in a thread full of glowing reviews, why is the thread 75% "just cancelled my preorder" and "I'm going to cancel my preorder"?

Chocolate & Vanilla

Fuck Strawberry
in what world can you return new video game hardware if you change your mind?

This one? Distance selling regulations in the UK and EU allow for the return of almost any non-perishable or non-hygene related item within 14 days without reason for a dull refund (Buyer has to pay return postage though).

Most Brick and Mortar shops will honour this as well although media such as dvds, cds,games are usually an excluded.

Even the US has some buyers remorse laws though they aren't as long or as consumer friendly if I recall

Edit: might actually be 30 days now not 14, and that is from when you receive the item not when you order it

Fisty

Because of the damning Grant Bomb livestream.

Yeah I don't buy that. If you are swayed by one outlier review that could just be technical difficulties, you weren't going to buy it in the first place. And if you expected the first generation of an emerging technology to be 100% perfect right out of the gate (before official launch, no less), then you've got some pretty unrealistic expectations

Raonak

Banned
It's interesting how different the giant bomb and gamespot streams are.
There seems to definitely be a lack of judder on the gamespot stream, you can see the move controllers judder,
but not the actual headset, unlike the GB one. I wonder what it could be...

Anyway, hope these cancelled preorders mean my 2nd shipment can be moved up to the first.

Trace

Banned
One bad stream can fuck up a whole product launch. Sony must be mad right now, if the whole "the thing doesn't even work properly" overshadow the good reviews

I wish Giantbomb would just stay away from anything related to VR. They seem to have a habit of fucking things up somehow.

wuth

From my experience, the two games I played that allowed me to move in 3d space with the DS4 made me sick. Battle zone and Eve valkarie.

Everything else was ok, but potentially an issue if I was able to play them for more than 5 minutes.

I was sick with said games within 2. I actually had to stop the Battle zone demo it was so bad.

Man, it is super disheartening to hear this is so common. I haven't had any issues yet with motion sickness, although when I demo'd the game two of the people I was playing with had to stop during RIGS.

Zero locomotion/teleporting is just not a good enough answer. There must be a solution for those prone to motion sickness.

in what world can you return new video game hardware if you change your mind?

Amazon offers a 30 day return period in Germany, I'd be surprised if it's any different in the US.

Edit:

Amazon.com Return Policy
Items shipped from Amazon.com, including Warehouse Deals, can be returned within 30 days of receipt of shipment in most cases. Some products have different policies or requirements associated with them.

I mean, I'm happy everyone is saving money and stuff, but in a thread full of glowing reviews, why is the thread 75% "just cancelled my preorder" and "I'm going to cancel my preorder"?

It's because the reality didn't meet the expectations (something you are going to find quickly after the honeymoon period for the device here on GAF). Most are just going, it's too risky at this stage given that it's an unknown how successful Sony will be limited to one ecosystem they have complete control over or that the hardware just doesn't feel up to par for the experiences people want yet so people aren't rushing into it (Scared of being limited to gimmicky titles). I think most people being skeptical is a good thing.

I want PSVR to do well, but not well enough that they don't seriously consider cresting a storefront and breaking the proprietary nature of the device to work on PC.

orochi91

Good old fashioned gaming hyperbole at work.

It was rampant hours ago when the GB stream was happening, but now that a bevy of other streams from different outlets have come out, virtually all of which are running PSVR well, the angst seems to have subsided a bit.

STEaMkb

I don't understand the reaction either. It's bizarre. There is a large number of positive reviews:

http://www.metacritic.com/feature/playstation-vr-headset-reviews

But over on /r/games you would think the Giant Bomb early impression stream is the only source of information.

Tagyhag

I wish Giantbomb would just stay away from anything related to VR. They seem to have a habit of fucking things up somehow.

How is this their fault when other people have reported similar problems lol.

They have been selling VR to people for a while now. They're the reason why I want the Vive+PSVR instead of just the latter. Yes some might have realized that the software library isn't there yet, but is that the fault of Giant Bomb or the developers?

Jerm411

For me personally it's always been kind of either PSVR or NX at launch....I think I'm just in a place where I'm way more excited for the potential of the NX and to give the PSVR ecosystem time to flesh out a bit more before investing.

Fisty

Man, it is super disheartening to hear this is so common. I haven't had any issues yet with motion sickness, although when I demo'd the game two of the people I was playing with had to stop during RIGS.

Zero locomotion/teleporting is just not a good enough answer. There must be a solution for those prone to motion sickness.

Eh it's a completely new experience for people's brains, it will take time to adjust for some, just like sailing for instance. As the tech improves and people get used to it over time, the number of people getting sick will greatly diminish. It is definitely a huge barrier to entry for some and it is practically the main focus for every VR dev out there right now, so I think it won't be too long before we see some major progress on that issue.

dyergram

To be fair 75% of any thread is shitting on something or decrying something for not being something else. With this being expensive I think people are cautious with there money especially given the pro having its release stupidly close I know I am. Also neogaf.gif

ps Im keeping my pre order.

Nibiru

Banned
Yeah I don't buy that. If you are swayed by one outlier review that could just be technical difficulties, you weren't going to buy it in the first place. And if you expected the first generation of an emerging technology to be 100% perfect right out of the gate (before official launch, no less), then you've got some pretty unrealistic expectations

I watched the stream and I will also admit that I started talking to my friend about maybe cancelling our pre-orders BUT I have since seen the other streams that were linked in this thread and read most of the reviews and the experience of the Giant Bomb crew seem to genuinely be an outlier. Maybe there is a bad batch who knows but were gonna keep our pre-orders and see if they work for us and if they don't, they go back. I'm not gonna cancel without knowing how well my unit will work.

theDeeDubs

After watching streams, the software looks like it ranges from shovel ware (worst) to one and done tech demo (at best). This would be pure novelty to me, much like PS Move was when I bought it last generation. VR continues to be unimpressive to me.

But their Vive and Oculus streams worked nearly flawlessly from a hardware perspective. The games mostly sucked though. Also their last VR video featuring Rec Room was incredible.

I think because some of the most trusted outlets on GAF - Kotaku, Giant Bomb, Game Spot, Eurogamer and Game Informer - have all given it a "wait and see" approach.

No risk in waiting and seeing after all.

spwolf

To be fair 75% of any thread is shitting on something or decrying something for not being something else. With this being expensive I think people are cautious with there money especially given the pro having its release stupidly close I know I am. Also neogaf.gif

ps Im keeping my pre order.

they are not going to have enough PSVRs to last through holidays, so people cancelling orders means there will be more for people who did not pre-order... if games coming our in November, December and positive impression from pre-order players are good, then people will continue buying PSVR after the holidays.

Abounder

Banned

Because of GB's impression, and the high pricetag. I imagine people were expecting greater scores to justify the expense

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Didn't they do an absolute dogshit Rift stream near release of that as well?

There was no technical issue in the Rift stream. Or in the Vive stream.

Yes, they made fun about a lot of the launch games. While enjoying the other. Like they enjoyed also a couple of things on PSVR when they could ignore the bad tracking.

Not everybody needs to agree with their opinion on games. Or hardware. But a technical issue is not an opinion. Yes, it might not be widespread. It still happen. And it's documented. And it's most likely not their fault.

Top Bottom