• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSVR Review Thread

I've got the exact same thing. No charges and no updates on the order status. I'm going to pop a shit if my shipment ends up being delayed.
Just got a pending charge from amazon for the VR bundle. I hope it ships tonight. The status says shipping now, I think it said shipping soon before.

Qwark

Question for those more familiar with VR. I'm really interested in RIGS, but watching some of the promotional streams, I get kind of queasy. Is that because watching others play VR is just unnatural to my brain? Or am I likely to have the same effect when I play myself? I know I could still likely have motion sickness, I'm just curious if spectator sickness is a thing.

jadedm17

Question for those more familiar with VR. I'm really interested in RIGS, but watching some of the promotional streams, I get kind of queasy. Is that because watching others play VR is just unnatural to my brain? Or am I likely to have the same effect when I play myself? I know I could still likely have motion sickness, I'm just curious if spectator sickness is a thing.

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en...disc/cid=UP9000-CUSA04579_00-PSVRDEMODISC0001

There's a demo to give a try.

I'm not familiar personally but I'd say if watching makes you sick then playing probably will as well.

winstano

The difference is that the person watching the social screen doesn't know where the person controlling it is going to look. That's pretty much where the queasy feeling will come from in that situation... However, I've found that YMMV with a lot of VR stuff - Some folks on the team here have been fine with some titles, and others have had issues with the same game.

Also - if you're concerned about motion sickness on *ANY* PSVR title - try the demo disc. 8 games in the UK, 18 in the US... There'll be something on there that will give you an idea of how you'll be with it.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America

Rigs impressions have been largely positive but, given the nature of the locomotion in that game, I think there's a pretty decent chance that motion sickness is a legitimate concern. The conspiracy theorist in me thinks that may have been why it was chosen to be embargoed right up until release (of course Battlezone was as well).

Just got a pending charge from amazon for the VR bundle. I hope it ships tonight. The status says shipping now, I think it said shipping soon before.

Congrats! Still nothing over here, unfortunately.

winstano

Rigs impressions have been largely positive but, given the nature of the locomotion in that game, I think there's a pretty decent chance that motion sickness is a legitimate concern. The conspiracy theorist in me thinks that may have been why it was chosen to be embargoed right up until release (of course Battlezone was as well).

Battlezone embargo was last week... There is one game that we won't have a review of due to motion sickness problems, literally everyone who played it felt like shit after only a few minutes...

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Battlezone embargo was last week... There is one game that we won't have a review of due to motion sickness problems, literally everyone who played it felt like shit after only a few minutes...

So Battlezone was your favorite, but you can't play it enough to review it?

farisr

Spectator sickness is definitely a thing. I believe mainly due to your brain not anticipating exactly what action/movement is going to happen next.

Heck, I get motion sickness from watching a certain friend play COD, but playing COD myself I have no issues whatsoever. So VR with its subtle movements and what not could amplify that. I wouldn't write it off just yet.

Ogni-XR21

It could be either. IIRC someone from kinda funny mentioned that it was worse for him watching someone else play. But as mentioned above, just try the demo before buying the game.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America

Somehow I missed the BZ reviews!

Unfortunate about the last bit... My guesses are Rigs or Here They Lie.

Abdiel

RIGS has been hugely demo'd in massive ways, across PSX and in various trade shows, with very, very few people reporting any issues with motion sickness. I tried it myself at PSX last year and it was fantastic. I certainly hope it isn't a game with any kind of motion sickness issues for most folks.

Hope it's not one of the games I've preordered. Definitely not putting any more money down until I find out what game it is. Is there an embargo on the embargo date?

Room-scale Vive is a fucking game-changer.

Its so easy to flatly state that.
But I don't think its a universal opinion anymore

Room scale in my book is where you go to that new indoor VR play center and wear a freaking backpack and walk around a warehouse with reconfigurable walls. Now THAT is a holodeck.

Room scale at home isn't that. At all. At all at all. Being able to move around your square of carpet is not that much removed from being able to stand up from the seated VR chair you are sitting on.

Unless the game by chance has a room that is exactly the same size and shape as your play area. But then it would be boring because who wants a game with a series of 2.5m x 2.5m square rooms?

I dunno maybe if you have the maximum size vive play area it makes a stupendous difference I'm highly skeptical some game changing thing happens once you pass 4sqm of play area. Because if I want to walk around "The Lab" I need a room the size of a cleared out fitness first dance studio.

Room scale in my book is where you go to that new indoor VR play center and wear a freaking backpack and walk around a warehouse with reconfigurable walls. Now THAT is a holodeck.

Room scale at home isn't that. At all. At all at all. Being able to move around your square of carpet is not that much removed from being able to stand up from the seated VR chair you are sitting on.

Unless the game by chance has a room that is exactly the same size and shape as your play area. But then it would be boring because who wants a game with a series of 2.5m x 2.5m square rooms?

I dunno maybe if you have the maximum size vive play area it makes a stupendous difference I'm highly skeptical some game changing thing happens once you pass 4sqm of play area. Because if I want to walk around "The Lab" I need a room the size of a cleared out fitness first dance studio.

Yeah, it's really cool for controlled game play. But like you said that gets boring. Even a larger spare room your getting what, 6 full stride steps to get from one side to other? Most people it's probably more like 2-3 steps since your starting in the middle of the room.

cakefoo

Being able to move around your square of carpet is not that much removed from being able to stand up from the seated VR chair you are sitting on.
The only difference between seated and standing VR is that your legs are supporting your body.

But this is standing VR vs Roomscale.

vTuHyBS.jpg

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Eh? We've got a Battlezone review up. I'm talking about a different game with a different embargo...

Wink if it's RIGS.

(I know the embargo ends tomorrow)

I'm gonna go ahead and guess this is Driveclub. Read quite a few impressions about the turns causing some serious nausea. Weird that would be an issue since other driving games get it fine, but maybe the sense of speed is too much? Obviously it's just speculation though so we'll have to wait and see. One reason I doubt it'd be rigs is because I haven't really heard from anybody about the issue of nausea regarding that game.

edit-
Now that it's past midnight (Eastern), PSVR releases tomorrow!!!

It does and yet my amazon order hasn't updated! Might end up just camping for it elsewhere and returning the one to amazon if they miss release day.

Haines

Banned
I'd love to jump on but that price is crazy especially in Canada.

I'll bite when the do a nice price drop or bundle if the software shows up to the party.

I think the embargoed game is Driveclub VR.

I got so, so nauseous trying that one. It looked great, but I felt sick for the rest of the day.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I think the embargoed game is Driveclub VR.

I got so, so nauseous trying that one. It looked great, but I felt sick for the rest of the day.

Again been hearing this a lot from people who tried it. Any indication as to why? What particularly about it?

robotrock

Banned
Haven't played Driveclub in VR but Project Cars VR really messed with me on an Oculus Rift. Didn't expect it to either since it's a cockpit game, but it totally did!

Tagyhag

Roomscale is the future, no one here should doubt it.

You want true immersion? Look at Budget Cuts. A game that couldn't be done without it.

PSVR is great for what it is, but let's not start diminishing the impact of what roomscale gives us in VR because it doesn't have it.

KalBalboa

Banned

You want true immersion? Look at Budget Cuts. A game that couldn't be done without it.

PSVR is great for what it is, but let's not start diminishing the impact of what roomscale gives us in VR because it doesn't have it.

Agreed.

You save a lot of money with PSVR. One of the trade offs is room scale movement.

Again been hearing this a lot from people who tried it. Any indication as to why? What particularly about it?
Well, I can't factually state what it was because so many elements are at play.

I think it's the disconnect between moving really fast but your body remaining still in your chair. Maybe with a much higher framerate and resolution it won't feel as unnatural as it did.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Well, I can't factually state what it was because so many elements are at play.

I think it's the disconnect between moving really fast but your body remaining still in your chair. Maybe with a much higher framerate and resolution it won't feel as unnatural as it did.
Btw, I've also heard Until Dawn giving people motion sickness.

Out of curiosity where? Seen a few streams and they've all been really positive. This one I'm gonna run out and grab the day of launch rather than order online. Want to be sure I get it day of without paying ridiculous prices.

Out of curiosity where? Seen a few streams and they've all been really positive. This one I'm gonna run out and grab the day of launch rather than order online. Want to be sure I get it day of without paying ridiculous prices.
I removed that bit because it's not really relevant to the thread; they've discussed UD before so that's not 'the game'.

A couple of my friends got nauseous trying UD. Haven't played it myself.

KalBalboa

Banned
You'll probably hear cases of any game giving certain people motion sickness, if I had to guess.

Certain people are likely to have stronger stomachs, others might have tracking issues, etc.

zoukka

You'll probably hear cases of any game giving certain people motion sickness, if I had to guess.

Certain people are likely to have stronger stomachs, others might have tracking issues, etc.

VR as tech inherently causes discomforty and motion sickness, even the high end stuff like Vive. It's just a matter of how long you can stomach a single session, some people can play for hours while I think the majority of people can't even reach 30 minutes before needing a break.

Sure, that's likely. No tracking issues on my set, however, and I'm more likely to get bored on roller coasters than to get sick. Driveclub is one you should try before you buy..

Edit: you know what, I should shut up. I respect Rushy way too much as a developer to be down on the game or spread negativity about it. By all means, try it; you might love it.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive

I expect that given what we know about Vr, however some games are more prone to cause it than others, and Driveclub unfortunately from a good chunk of the impressions I've read, has been mentioned quite a bit as causing the motion sickness. Luckily there is a demo isn't there? I'll try it out and see how it goes.

I expect that given what we know about Vr, however some games are more prone to cause it than others, and Driveclub unfortunately from a good chunk of the impressions I've read, has been mentioned quite a bit as causing the motion sickness. Luckily there is a demo isn't there? I'll try it out and see how it goes.
Yeah, there's demos for everything, which is awesome.

For the ones you're unsure of: try them out at the end of the day. You won't have ruined the rest of the day if you get nauseous. Seriously.

Wallach

I'm a pretty big VR head and I am fairly confident that Driveclub, RIGS and EVE will be the main sources of motion sickness complaints at launch. They are all going to be on the intense end of the scale, even with the cockpit.

Had the headset for a couple of days. Arkham VR is the best looking game of the bunch by miles. EVE Valkyrie is a decent dogfighter and had no motion sickness with that. RIGS is a different story. It looks great but got motion sickness from that quite quickly. It'll depend on setup but I think RIGS will generate the most complaints when it comes to that. Headmaster is more fun than it has any right to be.

Raonak

Banned

I quite agree, roomscale, while cool, looses a lot of it's appeal when the game requires you to teleport.
It's awesome for games that take place inside the playspace, but anything more and I found myself finding the borders of the playspace to be "random" enough that i would instead stand in place while using teleport for my movement.

But when you have a game within the borders, it's pretty revolutionary.

Qwark

So what games feature local multiplayer? I know PlayroomVR does, and I think Tumble does, maybe 100Ft Robot Golf? Anything else? Looking for something to give that Nintendo Land feeling.

Btw, Budget Cuts looks awesome, but I'd be concerned about walking around that much with the headset on. I watched a video and the player actually hit another person while swinging the controller. I don't want to break my stuff :/

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I'm a pretty big VR head and I am fairly confident that Driveclub, RIGS and EVE will be the main sources of motion sickness complaints at launch. They are all going to be on the intense end of the scale, even with the cockpit.

That's definitely possible but impressions haven't mentioned nausea much at all with Rigs or Eve with PSVR. In fact I consider myself fairly prone to motion sickness, Eve was one of the first times I had tried vr and I felt fine.

I think it's also worth remembering that there's also some level of difference with any game with movement since you're not actually moving (like UD, it may be on rails but it's still a car moving down a track and the "cockpit" doesn't seem to be in view at all times unlike with Eve, Driveclub, Rigs, etc. where it is). Games with no movement (or teleporting) are probably the most comfortable for the widest range of people.

Had the headset for a couple of days. Arkham VR is the best looking game of the bunch by miles. EVE Valkyrie is a decent dogfighter and had no motion sickness with that. RIGS is a different story. It looks great but got motion sickness from that quite quickly. It'll depend on setup but I think RIGS will generate the most complaints when it comes to that. Headmaster is more fun than it has any right to be.

Out of curiosity since I'll probably get Rigs since I want to try something big like that, which part hit you the most? Because there are apparently several comfort options regarding whether or not to show you getting ejected from the cockpit and showing a black screen instead of parachuting back down, etc, since the devs said that was the part they got the most feedback about.

Cool to hear about the other games, can't wait to try Arkham and Eve, and will try the Headmaster demo. Glad to hear Eve seems pretty comfortable, regardless how much longevity it has I'm really looking forward to just the early thrill factor.

Spectator sickness is definitely a thing. I believe mainly due to your brain not anticipating exactly what action/movement is going to happen next.

Heck, I get motion sickness from watching a certain friend play COD, but playing COD myself I have no issues whatsoever. So VR with its subtle movements and what not could amplify that. I wouldn't write it off just yet.

Yeah, I've felt it a bit watching a few lets plays where people are slamming their head all over the place super rapidly, plus the social screen output (which is what is also sent to youtube etc with share) I believe is 30fps unlike the mandatory super high framerate in the headset.

I think it's also worth remembering that there's also some level of difference with any game with movement since you're not actually moving (like UD, it may be on rails but it's still a car moving down a track and the "cockpit" doesn't seem to be in view at all times unlike with Eve, Driveclub, Rigs, etc. where it is). Games with no movement (or teleporting) are probably the most comfortable for the widest range of people.

Out of curiosity since I'll probably get Rigs since I want to try something big like that, which part hit you the most? Because there are apparently several comfort options regarding whether or not to show you getting ejected from the cockpit and showing a black screen instead of parachuting back down, etc, since the devs said that was the part they got the most feedback about.

Cool to hear about the other games, can't wait to try Arkham and Eve, and will try the Headmaster demo. Glad to hear Eve seems pretty comfortable, regardless how much longevity it has I'm really looking forward to just the early thrill factor.

Yeah, plus the social screen output (which is what is also sent to youtube etc) I believe is 30fps unlike the mandatory super high framerate in the headset.

For me it was the movement in matches. I felt a bit better using the right analog to turn rather than head tracking but you have the impression of moving at speed. In Eve you can't really tell that you're moving fast. I still want Rigs but I'm going to hold off a bit and play other titles to ease myself fully into VR.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
There's an amazon UK delivery thread, but has anybody in the US got the update yet on shipping status? Starting to worry about my order!

Qwark

There's an amazon UK delivery thread, but has anybody in the US got the update yet on shipping status? Starting to worry about my order!

Mine says "Shipping Today" now, I think it said "Shipping Soon" a couple hours ago. I wouldn't be too worried, they've probably prepped for 1-day shipping.

The future of what? Roomscale is never going to be the future of home gaming simply because the vast majority of people don't have the room in their apartment necessary to do it, or want the clutter of a big roomscale system in their living room. And if roomscale can't gain a mass-market level of adoption, it will never be the future, other than being a future niche or Laser Tag-esque fad.

Eventually we'll have some sort of device that can jack into your central nervous system and make your brain think it's controlling your arms and limbs, when you're actually still sitting in a chair. But until then (and that's a very very long until), a PSVR type of experience is what we should expect to be accepted in the mainstream.

Top Bottom