• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Psyonix crossing fingers for Rocket League on switch

mM5Jw.gif

I think the two things that could stand in the way of it happening are:

1) Crossplay - Psyonix has been pushing for this across all platforms and I'm not sure Nintendo would allow it.

2) Can the switch run it? I mean, if games like Titanfall 2 and Borderlands "can't" run on the Switch, maybe most games originally designed for PS4/XB1 can't either...which I'm guessing is more what Psyonix's concern is.
1. Wii U have crossplatforms games and 2. who said that the Switch can't run Borderland?

This sound mostly of how the online is being dealt with. It sounds line Nintendo doesnt even know how its going to work out hence they do not know.

NDA's are a thing.

Legally and professionally it makes a lot of sense to say nothing until everything in finalized by both parties. If they are in discussions about a release, they may not be at liberty to talk about it.

Not anymore. Now that the Switch has been unveiled, there's no more NDAs about game developpement. If a game isnt announced, it's just not happening.

Nintendo has allowed crossplay before.

Of course it could run it. Rocket League isn't in the same 'league' as those games, and besides, those games could run on the Switch too with a little effort. Also, Steep is coming.

Which Nintendo games had crossplay with other companies systems? I'm seriously asking...I think you're right, but what? Phantasy Star Online or something?

Just weird then that it never came to XBOX 360, PS3 or Wii U if it could run on less powerful hardware. Isn't that a ton of money left on the table already. I'm sure what he's really "crossing his fingers" over is that the Switch sells enough to justify a port. If it does, I'm sure they will find a way to make it work.

I would definitely double dip for a Switch version, by far my most played game on PS4.

Has anyone played this on PC without analog triggers? Is it still playable? A possible port of this game was actually one of the main reasons why I hoped the Switch would have analog triggers... :/

Which Nintendo games had crossplay with other companies systems? I'm seriously asking...I think you're right, but what? Phantasy Star Online or something?

Just weird then that it never came to XBOX 360, PS3 or Wii U if it could run on less powerful hardware. Isn't that a ton of money left on the table already. I'm sure what he's really "crossing his fingers" over is that the Switch sells enough to justify a port. If it does, I'm sure they will find a way to make it work.

Pure chess on Wii U had crossplay with PCs and phones (not sure if it had crossplay with ps4 though)

phanphare

Banned

I think there was a chess game that had pc crossplay on Wii U, that's the only one I know about

edit: ^

Hazu

I see many people blaming Nintendo for not soliciting third party developpers, but if these developpers really wanted to release their games on the Switch, they just wouldn't wait for a call.

Pure Chess on WiiU have crossplay with mobiles and PC.

There was a chess game on the eShop, also Dragon Quest X. The Switch when docked is closer to Xbone than it is to Wii U. Undocked it's still like twice as powerful as the Wii U.

You definitely need all the triggers and the second stick.
No doubt.
I can see the second stick (though I hardly use it myself), but what do the bumpers even do? Also, if we're considering local multiplayer it would put everybody on the same level anyway. People played Smash Bros on the freaking Wiimote, it's just an option.

No doubt.

For more serious play yeah, but for casual play, or sharing it with new players or family members, a single joycon would be fine.

New players likely won't know to use the powerslide/air-roll, and I don't think I started toggling off ball-cam until a few weeks into the game

Skeletos311

It makes sense that the developer of an online multiplayer focused game does not have enough information to decide if they want to bring their game to Switch.

vanty

There's no way they could do crossplay because of the triggers. It's not super important for the game but you can't have players playing together when some of them have slightly less control than the others.

Skyzard

Banned
I'm not getting a switch at launch for sure...but rocket league is something special...that should be found by all so I hope so.

There's no way they could do crossplay because of the triggers. It's not super important for the game but you can't have players playing together when some of them have slightly less control than the others.
People playing on PC play with all manner of different control schemes.

No doubt.

About the second stick, I'm actually not sure it's really needed but then again I play with the ball-camera locked. I consider myself decent at Rocket League and the only times I use the second-stick is to quickly align myself for boost-pads which gets less and less the more I play since my spatial-awareness improves making me know where the pads are without seeing them.

About the triggers, are there any advanced techniques that require acceleration fine-tuning?

In No Clip's documentary or extended interview with Psyonix, I believe they spoke about "other platforms" or words to that effect.

shira

If they could do crossplay at a good price it would be killer

Wait what
Single joycon, rocket league

Have you never played rocket league outside of casual parties because that does not work.

I'm certainly no pro player but in any case i did meant it for casual gaming of course. The only thing you would miss is camera control and that's not really such a big deal if you just want to have a few matches on the go.

And in any case you would not use the switch for pro rocket league gaming since it has digital triggers.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I see many people blaming Nintendo for not soliciting third party developpers, but if these developpers really wanted to release their games on the Switch, they just wouldn't wait for a call.
Rocket League is a game you call the publisher to get onto your platform if you don't have it.

Oh come on, Nintendo.

Nintendo should be over the moon that these guys are so eager to port RL to the Switch. Give them whatever they need!

Top Bottom