• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Psyonix crossing fingers for Rocket League on switch

GDGF

Soothsayer
Seriously guys, tweet.

Rob Crombie (the Sr. Manager of Developer Relations including nindies) is who you should be asking for this. Unfortunately I don't think he has a twitter. In his stead, I would try hitting up Damon Baker (thanks Penguin!) and hope he passes the message along.

https://twitter.com/DWBakes

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Rocket League and Overwatch should have been the first two third party games Nintendo went after for the Switch launch.

Yep, these are two games I really hope Nintendo is trying to get on their system.

Hasney

Which Nintendo games had crossplay with other companies systems? I'm seriously asking...I think you're right, but what? Phantasy Star Online or something?

Just weird then that it never came to XBOX 360, PS3 or Wii U if it could run on less powerful hardware. Isn't that a ton of money left on the table already. I'm sure what he's really "crossing his fingers" over is that the Switch sells enough to justify a port. If it does, I'm sure they will find a way to make it work.

Why is it weird it wasn't ported to those systems? The old gen was already as good as dead outside of yearly sports games and the Wii U was never really a thing. It can already run at 720p on PC on very low end hardware perfectly fine.

I'm getting REAL tired of third-parties saying stuff along those lines every single time they are questioned about the Switch.

This is what, the 4th or 5th since last week?

I hear you there. Like damn. Was no one aware this was coming for the past year?

Soulflarz

Banned
About the second stick, I'm actually not sure it's really needed but then again I play with the ball-camera locked. I consider myself decent at Rocket League and the only times I use the second-stick is to quickly align myself for boost-pads which gets less and less the more I play since my spatial-awareness improves making me know where the pads are without seeing them.

About the triggers, are there any advanced techniques that require acceleration fine-tuning?

You need it for bounce shots, which are a fundamental for even mid level play in my book. Also for just mild touches in general, it's next to impossible to control the ball for a full fli--
You can't dribble on digital triggers. Welp.
I think people underestimate the handicap of digital acceleration.

But yeah air roll+powerslide + scoreboard, you'd need to give one up as a good option.

oti

Banned
It is absolutely beyond me how Nintendo didn't roll out the red carpet for one of the biggest Zeitgeist games we have right now. Don't they have an Indie guy to speak to those developers? To get those deals? Nintendo seems to be warming up to them with all that Nindies promotion, Shovel Knight, SteamWorld etc. but not Rocket League?

I would also hope that Nintendo is putting some pressure on Sony and MS to finally allow cross-plattform online play. They would benefit the most. Having Rocket League on the handheld AND the entire community would make it a great version of the game.

Soulflarz

Banned
Plenty of pros have ball cam off unless they're holding the button :x

You're screwed getting it by a decent defender with a flick or such with ball cam stuck on.
I mean a real flick, off your roof.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Wouldn't be surprised if they already had a Switch dev kit for a while now.

TheDanimal

Plenty of pros have ball cam off unless they're holding the button :x

You're screwed getting it by a decent defender with a flick or such with ball cam stuck on.
I mean a real flick, off your roof.
I think argument is that it would be just casual play, not super high level.
Which would be neat I guess.

Do you guys think it's possible for Nintendo or a third party to release gamepads with analog triggers at this point or is that out of the question because the base console doesn't have them?

It'd be a shame.

brad-t

I would also hope that Nintendo is putting some pressure on Sony and MS to finally allow cross-plattform online play. They would benefit the most. Having Rocket League on the handheld AND the entire community would make it a great version of the game.

I don't think Nintendo has a lot of say in the matter ...

Xando

I'm getting REAL tired of third-parties saying stuff along those lines every single time they are questioned about the Switch.

This is what, the 4th or 5th since last week?
It's the nice way of saying "only if this thing sells".

Hypothesis: Psyonix don't want to do it unless they can do cross platform play. Nintendo of America said we'll get back to you. Nintendo of Japan taking their time working out what that is.

edit. Should have been a launch game though.

Fireblend

Banned
fc2fca5cc8833d35c92822a6af386914480a4e7c2411a6329d9742eb6bc89110.jpg

A heartbeat is more time than what it'd take me to buy this.

fernoca

Nintendo has Mario on April and Shine'n is releasing FAST RMX around launch too, so is probably why Rocket League wasn't high on their list during this early period, were they either courted big third parties or "Nindies" that has been with them for years.

If anything, if things go well RL will be released on Switch at some point anyway. Nintendo won't deny kits to them.

Hypothesis: Psyonix don't want to do it unless they can do cross platform play. Nintendo of America said we'll get back to you. Nintendo of Japan taking their time working out what that is.

Cross platform with PC is a no brainer as Nintendo allowed it on Wii and Wii U. But with PS4 and Xbox, that hasn't happened on those yet.

n0razi

They don't want to cannibalize sales from their 1st party multiplayer game (Splatoon)... which is already going to suck due to no one paying for a subscription

So many small indie shops already have access to a dev kit, but Psyonix should somehow struggle to get one?

Looks like the indies that do have very close relationships with Nintendo while I believe psyonix have never made a game for their systems

Penguin

Seriously guys, tweet.

Rob Crombie (the Sr. Manager of Developer Relations including nindies) is who you should be asking for this. Unfortunately I don't think he has a twitter. In his stead, I would try hitting up Doug Bowser (VP sales and marketing) and hope he passes the message along.

https://twitter.com/thetruebowser?lang=en

Wouldn't Damon Baker be a better point of contact?
https://twitter.com/DWBakes

Pretty sure that the Wii or Wii U already offered crossplay multi on some titles.

I know there was some chess game

Why is it that in every discussion thread about a Nintendo system, half the people sound like they've either never used one, or are basing their opinions on things they heard a decade ago?

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
If a version of Rocket League for the Switch is hypothetically in development, hopefully Nintendo have recommended and are assisting Psyonix to implement a split screen local multiplayer mode.

dickroach

hahahaha yeah. the next 6 months or so is going to Nintendo going to be figuring out their OWN network structure. they definitely heard "cross play" and said "huh? that's probably impossible. we'll figure out what all that hubbub's about for our next system."

Why is it that in every discussion thread about a Nintendo system, half the people sound like they've either never used one, or are basing their opinions on things they heard a decade ago?
Indies are few and far between on Nintendo systems and Nintendo is against crossplay.

The opposite is true.

For what reason? How would that outweigh people content hungry on a new Nintendo platform?
Because they'd be giving their players a sub par experience. Do they really want headlines like "there are currently 80 people playing Rocket League on Switch?".

The game is less about content and more about the community. Lets not forget that Psyonix is a small developer. It is probably simpler for them from a server management position to just have a single pool of servers that everyone uses instead of a bunch only for Nintendo players.

If you're going to bring up this next generation chess game at least confirm or deny whether the multiplayer it worked with PS4.

I don't know. Everyone laughed at Wii U because of late ports, so Nintendo might've only been courting for newer games.

I think late ports for games with long legs like this one or Overwatch or even GTAV are acceptable and somewhat necessary because they're not single player games where the game's content is exhausted after a play through. There's no real end to games with a focus on multiplayer, and not having these games actually reflects poorly on Switch because any newcomers who are interested into jumping into these games because of their continued popularity and strong word of mouth will notice that the platform doesn't have them. With late ports of single player games, the original versions on other platforms are most likely already heavily discounted and their marketing is largely over, meaning that they're old news and that the late port is most likely heavily overpriced (See ME3 Wii U vs ME Trilogy).

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Do you guys think it's possible for Nintendo or a third party to release gamepads with analog triggers at this point or is that out of the question because the base console doesn't have them?

It'd be a shame.

It's definitely possible. Many versions of the Joy-Cons could definitely be made. I wouldn't be surprised if we got a Joy-Con set with a proper D-pad and analog triggers. I don't necessarily expect that, though.

Compatibility could be handled in two ways: coding the game to work with or without analog triggers (like how the Circle Pad Pro was implemented) or requiring its use in the games that use it (like how WiiMotion Plus was implemented). It's not unprecedented for Nintendo.

Because they'd be giving their players a sub par experience. Do they really want headlines like "there are currently 80 people playing Rocket League on Switch?".

The game is less about content and more about the community. Lets not forget that Psyonix is a small developer. It is probably simpler for them from a server management position to just have a single pool of servers that everyone uses instead of a bunch only for Nintendo players.

If you're going to bring up this next generation chess game at least confirm or deny whether the multiplayer it worked with PS4.

Do we really need to propose fantasy situations that haven't occurred and won't occur? For all the people who keep talking about hypothetical dead online game communities on Nintendo systems, I've never heard the issue from the people who actually own and play them

It's definitely possible. Many versions of the Joy-Cons could definitely be made. I wouldn't be surprised if we got a Joy-Con set with a proper D-pad and analog triggers. I don't necessarily expect that, though.

Compatibility could be handled in two ways: coding the game to work with or without analog triggers (like how the Circle Pad Pro was implemented) or requiring its use in the games that use it (like how WiiMotion Plus was implemented). It's not unprecedented for Nintendo.

Ah, good points! Still sad they didn't include it on the pro controller. 70 bucks and if they happen to release an analog version down the line what... 80? Lol

fernoca

It didn't worked against PS4 (apparently Sony didn't allowed it). But neither does Rocket League on Xbox.

Rocket League cross play on consoles is still only against PC.

I think you'd garner a lot of good will and it fits in with a lot of Nintendo's solid gameplay first and non-traditional design philosophies.

Peltz

But wait... how the heck do you play Rocket League without analogue triggers? The game sort of requires analogue controls.

:-|

Top Bottom