• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Psyonix evaluating whether or not to bring Rocket League to Switch

Thraktor

Clickable stick and + / - button

True. Rocket League doesn't use clickable sticks, but +/- could be used for menus.

6 buttons isn't even enough to cover the essentials.

Boost
Jump
Drift
Accelerate
Brake
Change camera (it is essential)
Menu

Then you also have he scoreboard, the quick chats (which aren't essential) and the second stick for rotating the camera, which is still important even with the ball cam on. The game would just not be fun on a single joy con, coming from someone who has nearly 400 hours played.

Aside from the menu button (which can be mapped to +/-), the only essential controls are one stick and five buttons (forward, reverse, jump, boost and powerslide). You may prefer to have a second stick for camera control, buttons for scoreboard, etc, but they're not essential, and the game would be perfectly playable on one joycon. There's certainly no reason whatsoever to prevent people playing with one joycon, particularly if it facilitates local multiplayer.

It also has two clicable sticks, - or + buttons, Z/ZR or L/ZL which could be used for secundary actions with proper combination. There are other alternatives, like the buttons + or - could be used for scoreboard if you hold the button, but if you press it really fast it could bring the Options menu.

We were talking about using a single joycon, not a pair.

Have you ever played Rocket League? there is physically no chance to use the current control scheme on a single joy con

Well over a hundred hours worth. Have you ever used a joycon?

I posted a few ideas for stages on r/RocketLeague...hopefully Psyonix will consider Nintendo themed stages!

Y1T5vJ1.jpg

6yzglIm.jpg

6TYqL11.jpg

11 days isn't considered a necrobump, is it?

Anyways wanted to step in and say, since no one else mentioned it, that as awesome and crazy sweet as this idea would be, the systems are all cross-platform, which includes console-specific items. I know Nintendo isn't really big about their IP's appearing on other platforms, which is why their recent move to making iOS games is such a big deal. But I think that was more of a "this device is in millions of pockets around the globe" whereas the PS4 and PC and XB1 are stationary home devices that don't have as broad of a playerbase as smartphones do. So I think Nintendo specific maps and game items would be a big, big stretch.

But as a side note, I never heard anything about the Warthog or Sweet Tooth vehicles being "turned off' for crossplay or anything, but I've also never once seen them in a game while on a differing console. For reference I own the game on PC and PS4 and my roommate owns it on PC and XB1, so we've played on all 3 a whole mega fuckton.

Top Bottom