• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Psyonix evaluating whether or not to bring Rocket League to Switch

giphy.gif

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Performance shouldn't be a problem, Rocket league is already playable on the gpd win, so if RL will be on the Switch or not is just a matter of sales expectations i guess.

ChrisD

First thought, cool, portable Rocket League.
Second thought, no analog triggers would make acceleration/deceleration difficult.

brad-t

If only there were an open world game that just came out that had a complicated physics system underlying all interactions in the game world. On where you could push boulders down mountains or cut trees and watch them realistically tumble and roll on the ground.

Hmmmm....
thinking-face.png

that's the joke

Dremorak

Banned
It's true. Plus there are a ton of puzzles that consist of trying to get a sphere to roll into a hole using all sorts of different physics. So we know the system should be fast enough to calculate that stuff if the engine is designed right.

Also, lets not forget Metroid Prime: Federation Force had a rocket league mode. :p

I don't see it happening. I can imagine that there isn't a whole lot of crossover between the Nintendo audience and the Rocket League audience.

You can't? Really? Rocket League is massively popular, and I can absolutely see it interesting fans who like car-racing/competitive sport crossover games like Mario Kart.

I mean I have played 100 hours of it on PC, I'd buy it on Switch day 1.

It's one of those cases where Nintendo should definitely push for a switch version before it's too late.

But they won't. You'll get a port at the end of the cycle.

Same thing with Minecraft.

Well if they do it I will gladly triple-dip! :D

It's true. Plus there are a ton of puzzles that consist of trying to get a sphere to roll into a hole using all sorts of different physics. So we know the system should be fast enough to calculate that stuff if the engine is designed right.

To add to this, I had a boulder-puzzle in a shrine where I accidentally used the motion-controls to fire the boulder out-of-bounds, it then bounced off the ceiling and wall right into where it should go, I was flabbergasted and in awe o.o

NoKisum

Semi-unrelated, but this brings forth an interesting question regarding Nintendo:

What is their stance on cross platform multiplayer with third party titles?

The game needs crossplatform or it will die on it's own island. For cross platform to be a thing they absolute must require a traditional controller layout. Nobody wants to be in ranked with someone trying to play on a single joycon.

I wish they'd introduce an account system to tie your unlocks across platforms.

This is a platform holder issue. They don't want you buying stuff on Steam and using it on PSN for instance. Some games like Smite had a limited one time transfer.

MadMod

I believe it's with Nintendo. If their online infrastructure is strong enough and their willingness to allow cross play with other consoles. Otherwise I think it's already half dead even before release.

bender

What time is it?
This is a platform holder issue. They don't want you buying stuff on Steam and using it on PSN for instance. Some games like Smite had a limited one time transfer.

I know. It just kills my desire to double dip or play on other platforms since I can't have my customization or stat tracking.

bounchfx

First thought, cool, portable Rocket League.
Second thought, no analog triggers would make acceleration/deceleration difficult.

People play on the PC with a keyboard. It works fine. (it's not perfect, but it's fine).

I'd be interested in them trying up/down on the analogue stick for accell but, I think that would break the spinning when you're in the air, right?

but I don't see performance being an issue, at all. and the controls can work fine, same as any racing game before we had analog

I believe it's with Nintendo. If their online infrastructure is strong enough and their willingness to allow cross play with other consoles. Otherwise I think it's already half dead even before release.

What does this even mean? Hell the Wii U had Call of Duty and Fifa games with online play as well as at least one title that supported cross platform play. I don't think Rocket League requires any special, esoteric online considerations.

newsguy

"This is a community based game." That's good to know Psyonix. I'm a big member of said community. My 4-year-old wears a RL shirt, so do I. I wear a RL hat all the time. I own the game on all 3 platforms.

I could have been cheap and taken the free PS Plus version and played it until now without buying many DLC cars and multiple copies of the game. I didn't because I wanted to support your vision. I could've scoffed and stopped playing when you introduced loot boxes, but instead I paid for keys, not because I care about the cosmetics, but because I was supporting Psyonix and want this game to last as long as possible.

Put this on Switch please. All I have is Zelda, and once that gets boring, I need to feel the rush of scoring an aerial goal in OT while simultaneously pinching a loaf. I want to let my family watch tv once in a while instead of hogging it to play RL, and what better way than at 60fps at 720p on that fantastic little screen. Do it for the community guys.

The Hermit

Is there a poll yet? I on mobile so I can't tell.

Options should be: no, yes (never played before but interested), yes ( already own, but will double/triple dip),

I think the only challenge is the lack of analogue triggers. I am pretty sure the Switch can handle the graphics.

If Nintendo was smart they'd be courting this and Overwatch.

I've been saying this since it was first unveiled. The Switch is the first "viral" console and it needs equally viral games like those 2.

I don't know about the backstage, but I believe they are aware of how important those games are.
I get that Zelda needed the spotlight for itself, but I believe now that people are finishing the game they should throw some hints of things that are yet to come, not only from them, but from outside.

Bit-Bit

I have Rocket League on PC and would not hesitate to get it for my Switch for the ability to play multiplayer anywhere.

NSider

I played 400+ hours of Rocket League on PC. I'd love to have a portable version with local play (4v4/3v3 local or going online with 2-3 local friends).

I tweeted at Psyonix saying that.

mindsale

Is there still an untapped market? It's on PC, XbO, PS4/Pro.

Much as I'd like it portably, and much as I'd like more games on my Switch, it's very likely it winds up being 720p on Switch, if it runs at all.

Mokujin

Much as I'd like it portably, and much as I'd like more games on my Switch, it's very likely it winds up being 720p on Switch, if it runs at all.

Do you mean that if could run only at 720p they should not do it? And if so, why?

vern

I'd buy it. I don't have PS4 or bone (don't have a tv in my life anymore, simplified my life and possessions a few years back). I played it on my friends playstation and it was pretty awesome. I'm sure there is a market for an awesome game on a great system like the Switch. A lot of other people in this thread have said they'd get it too.

Bluth54

The game needs crossplatform or it will die on it's own island. For cross platform to be a thing they absolute must require a traditional controller layout. Nobody wants to be in ranked with someone trying to play on a single joycon.

I'm pretty sure Nintendo allowed a few games to have cross platform play on the Wii U and 3DS so I'm guessing they'll probably allow it on the Switch but you never know.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i'd love it on switch but i think you'd need to be able to play with another platform. either PS4 or PC would be cool.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
It's one of those cases where Nintendo should definitely push for a switch version before it's too late.

But they won't. You'll get a port at the end of the cycle.

Same thing with Minecraft.

I wanna believe its a changing culture at Nintendo ....but I see this happening.

hao chi

I already have Rocket League on PS4, and I'd probably mostly play there even if a Switch version was released just because I have all my unlocks and stuff there, but I'd still get the Switch version, especially if they added Nintendo vehicles.

Top Bottom