• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Puzzle & Dragons: Super Mario Edition announced for 3DS

rhandino

Banned
OMG!

Scream.gif

PUZZLE AND DRAGONS: MARIO EDITION

Scream.gif

ANNOUNCED FOR THE WEST ALSO!?

Scream.gif

I DON'T KNOW HOW TO DEAL WITH ALL THESE FEELS!

Richie

I feel like I've been living under a rock, 'cause I've got no idea what Puzzle & Dragons is, let alone that it's apparently ultra mega popular, to the point where this game is a sales' monster in the making. I'm glad for more 3DS announcements though! And if it performs as well as people predict in this thread, hey, glad to see Ninty out of red numbers, never to return.

I feel like I've been living under a rock, 'cause I've got no idea what Puzzle & Dragons is, let alone that it's apparently ultra mega popular, to the point where this game is a sales' monster in the making. I'm glad for more 3DS announcements though! And if it performs as well as people predict in this thread, hey, glad to see Ninty out of red numbers, never to return.

LOL same. Looks fun, though!

I guess this is how PnD franchise will be introduce to the west? Is this game like Puzzle Quest?

PnD has been on the iOS and Android stores in the West for a while - I even see ads for it on various sites.

It's kind of like Puzzle Quest, in that match-three is your "verb" function for doing things, with what you match creating different elemental attacks.

I was thinking about my year for the 3DS..

Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D
Codename: S.T.E.A.M.
Story of Seasons
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2: Record Breaker
Etrian Mystery Dungeon
Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate

Now Puzzle & Dragons: Super Mario Edition

Also add in a ton of eShop titles and you're just looking at the first few months of this year.

Pretty happy.

hatchx

Banned

Story of Seasons
Etrian Mystery Dungeon

Also add in a ton of eShop titles and you're just looking at the first few months of this year.

Pretty happy.

+2D Metroid

Puzzle and Dragon is unavailable in large parts of Europe on Android, so I never got the chance to try it out.

I'll get it.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
oh wow, this is quite the megaton! Should sell gangbusters in Japan

Story of Seasons
Etrian Mystery Dungeon

Pretty happy.

And here I thought I'd get a chance to go back and buy some more of the games that I wanted from before I bought my 3ds.

Gameboy415

Very unexpected but cool news! :D
Definitely looking forward to checking out the localized version (and/or importing a JP copy, haha).

of course it is...what mario game for nintendo consoles hasn't come to the west?

A few others that weren't already mentioned:

All Night Nippon Super Mario Bros for Famicom Disk System:
supermario.jpg

-A promotional game that replaced the enemy sprites with caricatures of Japanese celebrities

Kaette Kita Mario Bros for Famicom Disk System:
Kaettekita_Mario_Bros_Title.png

-An updated version of the original arcade game

Mario no Photopi for N64:
250px-Mario_no_photopi.JPG

-An image editing program/game

Excitebike: Bun Bun Mario Battle Stadium for Super Famicom's Satellaview:
Excitebike_Mario_Stadium_TitleScreen.png

-An updated Excitebike game featuring Mario characters

Plus dozens of e-Card stages for Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros 3 on GBA and the Mario Artist games on N64 DD. :)

There was a Mario sweater knitting game on the NES that never made it here. ...Why do I know this?

Wut

Really?

Yep! It's called "I am a Teacher: Super Mario Sweater"
Mario_sweater.jpg

There was actually another one for Game Boy/Game Boy Color too:
Mario_Family_cover.png

More info here:
http://www.mariowiki.com/Mario_Family

I tried tracking it down during my ~5 years in Japan but never saw a single copy. :(

Dang, I actually didn't know Yakuman DS had Mario characters in it! I *almost* bought the game dozens of times back when I lived in Japan but I always ended up passing on it. Gonna have to track down a copy now. :)
I actually need to get Itadaki Street too....I was hoping they'd localize the DS one after Fortune Street came out but no such luck.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
This is a surprising move- but also not surprising to anyone who follows the Japanese market.

Even two years ago, Japan was plastered with Puzzle & Dragons ads all over billboards and TV. Not that surprising that it cross-pollinated with Nintendo.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Well, this is interesting. I wasn't a big fan of the art of Puzzle & Dragons, but the gameplay is fun. I'll definitely check this out.

This is a surprising move- but also not surprising to anyone who follows the Japanese market.

Even two years ago, Japan was plastered with Puzzle & Dragons ads all over billboards and TV. Not that surprising that it cross-pollinated with Nintendo.

Yeah, even just from lurking the media create threads every so often, this seems perfectly logical, to the point where I wouldn't be surprised if somebody back then speculated wildly about it in some random post.

Ninja Dom

What is this and why should I be hyped? I saw the trailer and see it's a puzzle game.

Puzzle and Dragons is one of the most popular smartphone games ever released. It's been downloaded 28 million times in Japan and the game makes around $3 million a day. Total the game has made around $3.19 billion since release in 2012.

Puzzle and Dragons is one of the most popular smartphone games ever released. It's been downloaded 28 million times in Japan and the game makes around $3 million a day. Total the game has made around $3.19 billion since release in 2012.
Okay so it's a smartphone game. Doesn't sound too hot.

That might be underselling it slightly.

???

The first retail game sold over a million and was a monster on mobile, but you seem to be putting it on the level of Monster Hunter/Dragon Quest. It's a step below Yokai Watch in sales as well. It's big, but it's odd to say that calling it big is underselling it.

Okay so it's a smartphone game. Doesn't sound too hot.

Check out the community that's already on OT2. It's a Puzzle game with insanely deep team building, evolving and collecting. It has microtransactions and a stamina system(two things that probably won't be in this version) but they give away so much for free that you never have to really buy anything if you don't want to. I'm about to hit my 600th day on my current account; probably closer to 700 in total. It's cemented itself as one of my all time favorite games and that's as someone who is generally not a fan or puzzle or mobile games.

Top Bottom